Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

9 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

People wanted K-Long fired in 2018...

Josiah Gray is far better than his numbers--13 of his 29 ER came in 9 IP against Houston and LA. His other 8 starts, he has a 3.42 ERA. I'll take that from someone who is only is 4th year of pitching--he starting pitching full-time in 2018.  He pitched about 40 IP prior to that. He needs to get walks and HRs down, but he has good K numbers and has a 1.365 WHIP, despite 4.4 BB/9. His H/9 is just outside the top 10.

Hickey also is working with AAAA JAGs, lost causes, or complete long shots. No one is making this rotation any good. He's a good coach with a good track record. This team just sucks.

Yeah, I'm not buying this. Good coaches can be tuned out by players. Some get the most out of guys by getting them to really focus on the details because he knows they aren't the most talented. Even when you know it's going to be a terrible season. You want to see some improvement in those little things over a season. Even if it doesn't translate to a bunch of wins. Few errors. Less 30 pitch innings. Base running. Guys who have been hitters all the sudden are slumping at the same time? 

Have higher expectations of those coaches who are there to work with these guys too. Its not only how they look when a team is loaded and making playoff runs. Its also how they look when they have lesser talent and need to get the most out of it.  

Saw Bleacher Report update about rival coach saying Soto must be miserable and needs to get out of DC.

Good for whoever the hell that is trying to throw gasoline on our fire, but that's not the same is Soto even insinuating he's feeling that way.

Who knows, jus...this ain't good. None of it.

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Saw Bleacher Report update about rival coach saying Soto must be miserable and needs to get out of DC.

Good for whoever the hell that is trying to throw gasoline on our fire, but that's not the same is Soto even insinuating he's feeling that way.

Yeah, whatever. The franchise is more valuable to a new owner with him here. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Yeah, I'm not buying this. Good coaches can be tuned out by players. Some get the most out of guys by getting them to really focus on the details because he knows they aren't the most talented. Even when you know it's going to be a terrible season. You want to see some improvement in those little things over a season. Even if it doesn't translate to a bunch of wins. Few errors. Less 30 pitch innings. Base running. Guys who have been hitters all the sudden are slumping at the same time? 

Have higher expectations of those coaches who are there to work with these guys too. Its not only how they look when a team is loaded and making playoff runs. Its also how they look when they have lesser talent and need to get the most out of it.  

Ruiz is showing promise and has a 106 OPS+, and is already one of the better catchers in the NL.

Gray, as I just showed, is improving and has been better than his ERA.

Bell is hitting.

Look at Soto through May every year. He's a slow starter, even under Long.

Yadi Hernandez is better than expected.

Rainey has improved.

Even Robles has shown flashes, again.

Did you expect Ceaser Hernandez, Mikel Franco, Alcides Escobar, etc to be competent major leaguers? They're not.

You want to blame Hickey for Corbin, Adon, Sanchez? They are never going to be good again. Fedde, before his last outing, had a 3.55 ERA, and just shut out the Dodgers. Is that not improvement?

It's been 40ish games into at least a 3 year rebuild. You're just throwing stones blindly with literally no evidence other than saying bad players are bad.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Oh, a rival coach? Oh well, he must be telling the truth...he definitely doesn't have any reason to try and get him moved.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Ruiz is showing promise and has a 106 OPS+, and is already one of the better catchers in the NL.

Gray, as I just showed, is improving and has been better than his ERA.

Bell is hitting.

Look at Soto through May every year. He's a slow starter, even under Long.

Yadi Hernandez is better than expected.

Rainey has improved.

Even Robles has shown flashes, again.

Did you expect Ceaser Hernandez, Mikel Franco, Alcides Escobar, etc to be competent major leaguers? They're not.

You want to blame Hickey for Corbin, Adon, Sanchez? They are never going to be good again. Fedde, before his last outing, had a 3.55 ERA, and just shut out the Dodgers. Is that not improvement?

It's been 40ish games into at least a 3 year rebuild. You're just throwing stones blindly with literally no evidence other than saying bad players are bad.

There's blame and there's "this isn't working even a little". This isn't working even a little. I expect to see improvement. Some improvement. Even Corbin. 

Look at what they stress to kids. Where is the talk of this? 

Screenshot_20220602-201207.png

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Exactly, swear man, BR knew that and trying to start **** anyway 😒

It's that time of year. Feinsand, Heyman, Nightengale are going to be tweeting like mad with saying absolutely nothing.

Seriously, Heyman never says anything definitely. He uses so many qualifiers like “likely“ “possibly" "could be"

Just now, @DCGoldPants said:

There's blame and there's "this isn't working even a little". This isn't working even a little. I expect to see improvement. Some improvement. Even Corbin. 

I just listed several improvements and promising developments and your roundly ignored them for your own narrative.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's that time of year. Feinsand, Heyman, Nightengale are going to be tweeting like mad with saying absolutely nothing.

Seriously, Heyman never says anything definitely. He uses so many qualifiers like “likely“ “possibly" "could be"

I just listed several improvements and promising developments and your roundly ignored them for your own narrative.

Alright, man. 

No sweat!

This series could separate us a little more from Cincinnati for that #1 draft pick spot. That spot has netted us Strasburg and Bryce. Getting the top overall draft pick seems to be part of Rizzo's rebuilding plan.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

No sweat!

This series could separate us a little more from Cincinnati for that #1 draft pick spot. That spot has netted us Strasburg and Bryce. Getting the top overall draft pick seems to be part of Rizzo's rebuilding plan.

I've said it many times, I'd rather lose 100 and have Gray, Ruiz, Garcia et al develop than win 75 on the backs of unsustainable, unrepeatable fluke seasons from Franco, C. Hernandez, Escobar, etc.

This team is bad, but we are way better off than we were in '05-'08. 

3 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

No sweat!

Didn’t the new CBA come with a draft lottery? 

3 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Phillies firing Joe Girardi is the perfect example of a guy you know can manage, just not clicking with the organization and those players.

Maybe he'll want to manager next year and get another gig. 

I’m not sure Girardi is a good manager.  He had all the resources in NY, but was under 90 wins in half his 10 seasons.  They had one sub 90 win seasons in the previous 12 years and have been .600+ since he left.

• Like 1

JDLR, TJ White and Brady House is a fun little core to watch progress through the minors. Remember the FredNats started out like 0-15 in their inaugural season. Cool that the fans down in Fredericksburg have something to cheer for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I’m not sure Girardi is a good manager.  He had all the resources in NY, but was under 90 wins in half his 10 seasons.  They had one sub 90 win seasons in the previous 12 years and have been .600+ since he left.

I think he did a fine job probably in the most stressful gig in mlb. Great manager? Didn't say that. But who is? 

4 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

JDLR, TJ White and Brady House is a fun little core to watch progress through the minors. Remember the FredNats started out like 0-15 in their inaugural season. Cool that the fans down in Fredericksburg have something to cheer for.

They also have an infielder, Vidal Pena hitting well, a young pitcher Rodney Theophile, and former top picks Mason Denaburg and Jackson Rutledge.

• Thumb up 2