Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

3 hours ago, Forehead said:

My feeling is, we got the World Series and he was a big part of it, regardless of how much his contract hamstrings us going forward.  He'll always be a good one in my eyes even if he never throws another pitch for us.

1000% agree.  Will always be a hero for 2019.  That team doesn't win without every inning he pitches.  It's all gravy from here.  I'd love him to be good again, and I'm sure he wants it too.  But if it doesn't happen, so be it.  2019 was magic.  It wasn't just a WS championship - that was the most joyous, lovable, delightful team I've ever rooted for, in any sport.  Love them forever. 

Edited by bcl05
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

How are you defining polarizing here?  

I think a lot of people think he was a bust given the hype surrounding his drafting, and I also think a lot of people think he was great overall.  I think a lot of people think he was basically always injured, even though he has pitched almost 1500 innings.  I think people have VERY strong feelings on his being shut down during the 2012 playoff run and there is no middle ground between "I can't believe they did that" and "it probably saved his career and he went on to be the ****ing WS MVP."  I think it makes some people mad that he signed a 7 year $245 million extension (when they probably could of signed Rendon instead) and he basically hasn't pitched since he signed it.  

• Like 1

12 years ago on June 8th. I was at a client in Compton & left early to sit in a bar in Manhattan Beach  to watch it. I was basically alone at the bar watching when a local DA came in to get a beer. He was a big baseball fan (Reds). We sat there and watched the entire game in awe....

• Like 1

It's a lose lose situation...there's no way to have the hindsight to forsee this when we had to choose between him and Rendon. 

Picking Stras was the right move, if for any reason Rendon hasn't been the same player and had injury issues as well after he left (BA has gone down every year in LA and he has yet to play at least 60 games in a season there).

A lot of people look for blame in situations like this, thus I get the polarizing comment.  But who really coulda seen Stras career damn near being over not even halfway through his extension?

I give the front office a lot of crap sometimes, but I can't on this one. Snake eyes...

Edited by Renegade7

4 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

12 years ago on June 8th. I was at a client in Compton & left early to sit in a bar in Manhattan Beach  to watch it. I was basically alone at the bar watching when a local DA came in to get a beer. He was a big baseball fan (Reds). We sat there and watched the entire game in awe....

I remember seeing one of his AAA starts on TV, and laughing my ass off at the absurd flailing attempts to hit his curveball mixed with his then high-90s gas.

Playoff Stras was something else. I remember Kyle Schwarber talking about Game 4 in 2017--how they were "hunting fastballs, just hunt the fastball" as their apporach. 16-pitch 2 K 1st inning, guys where shaking their heads "we can't tell the difference..."

7 IP 3 H 0 R 12 K night for Stras. That series in total: 14 IP, 0 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 22 K. He was better in 2017 than he was in '19.

If only he had been healthy in 2016.

If only he had a modicum of health throughout his career.

If only...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think a lot of people think he was a bust given the hype surrounding his drafting, and I also think a lot of people think he was great overall.  I think a lot of people think he was basically always injured, even though he has pitched almost 1500 innings.  I think people have VERY strong feelings on his being shut down during the 2012 playoff run and there is no middle ground between "I can't believe they did that" and "it probably saved his career and he went on to be the ****ing WS MVP."  I think it makes some people mad that he signed a 7 year $245 million extension (when they probably could of signed Rendon instead) and he basically hasn't pitched since he signed it.  

I've not heard anyone call him a bust.  I think some people might think he didn't live up to expectations, but that's all been due to injuries.  

My recollection of the 2012 situation was that it was a team that wasn't expected to be in the playoff hunt, yet they were.  And they were going to shutdown Strasburg no matter what, hell or highwater.  In hindsight, they should have rested him in the first half of the season and had him ready for the second half and post season.  But IIRC, no one had projected that team to be that good that year.  

He is a Nats legend, a postseason stud, World Series Champion and a World Series MVP.  I don't see how anyone could really view him as a bust, even if he didn't log as many innings and win as many games as they wanted him to.  That team doesn't win that World Series if it's not for him, no one can say otherwise.

In regards to the 7/245, that was a cringeworthy extension simply because of his durability issues.  But after that performance, I felt that there was no way the Nats couldn't make him an offer.  The Nats were between a rock and a hard place; coming off a WS win and a WS MVP, they almost HAD to make him an offer.  Fans would have been pissed if they didn't.  Sure, it sucked losing Rendon but there was an attachment to Strasburg that no one else on the team really had.  So fans can't really be mad at the Nats for making that offer, even if people thought it was doomed from the start. They'd have been mad if the Nats let him walk.

Here's hoping he can rebound and have another 3-4 years of good pitching ahead.  H  

• Like 2

The errors are infuriating. I don't listen to any post game pressers. But if it's not the first and last think talked out, then everyone is missing something that could be fixed before an offseason. 

Yeah, some guys are out of position. Yes, talent in spots is questionable. But if there is anything they can practice in season. This is one of those things. 

Hello!

I just wanted to wish you guys luck over these next two games.  I hope we have a spirited and tough competition between our two teams.

Rest assured, I still think of each and every one of you as former Orioles fans who jumped ship as soon as a shiny new object came along.  Or a bandwagoning fan that suddenly cared about baseball as soon as the home team got good.

Buena suerte! 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hello!

I just wanted to wish you guys luck over these next two games.  I hope we have a spirited and tough competition between our two teams.

Rest assured, I still think of each and every one of you as former Orioles fans who jumped ship as soon as a shiny new object came along.  Or a bandwagoning fan that suddenly cared about baseball as soon as the home team got good.

Buena suerte! 

Man, a fan of both Snyder AND Angelos?

bcb94f90-4930-41be-aebf-43fc5a89b620_tex

It's okay Spiff. They probably wont **** up Rutschman. Probably.

• Haha 1