Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

The AAV of that deal is not it. I saw the number and assumed it was for 12 years, not 15. Boras should have called and asked if that was a typo.  

It’s a face-saving move so when they trade him they can say “we offered him the most money ever and he turned it down” and do the Larry David hands in the air pose. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

The Soto situation is going to get kicked down the road. They gave him a legitimate offer, but there was no way Boras was going to take it at this point.

Boras mentioned an ownership group that is committed to winning. Right now, that's up in the air. I'm sure as I can be that figured into this decision. We still have 2 years to figure this out.  Nothing going to happen anytime soon.

Here's hoping that's the case, but the fact that they're willing to listen to offers now is really concerning.  Boras is who is he is, but Soto is literally the only start and draw the Nats have at this point.  They won't be good for years, but if they can get him signed, it would a good centerpiece to build around. 

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

The Soto situation is going to get kicked down the road. They gave him a legitimate offer, but there was no way Boras was going to take it at this point.

Boras mentioned an ownership group that is committed to winning. Right now, that's up in the air. I'm sure as I can be that figured into this decision. We still have 2 years to figure this out.  Nothing going to happen anytime soon.

This is why I don't believe we have two years, we might not have the new ownership in place by end of last trade deadline we have with Soto, in which case have to get something for him while we can. 

If he ends up a free agent, we are getting nothing...again.  This up to the last minute negotiations thing is only safe in the NFL because they have a Franchise Tag, none of the other majors sports leagues, including MLB, have that.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

This is why I don't believe we have two years, we might not have the new ownership in place by end of last trade deadline we have with Soto, in which case have to get something for him while we can. 

If he ends up a free agent, we are getting nothing...again.  This up to the last minute negotiations thing is only safe in the NFL because they have a Franchise Tag, none of the other majors sports leagues, including MLB, have that.

According to a Post article, there's a pretty good chance the new ownership group will be named by November.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

Final MLB mock...

5. Nationals
Callis: Kevin Parada, C, Georgia Tech (No. 6)

The Nationals would strongly consider Green but likely will trade ceiling for a quicker return on investment with Parada, Louisiana State third baseman/outfielder Jacob Berry or Lee.

Mayo: Brooks Lee, SS, Cal Poly (No. 5)
Green’s very high ceiling is being discussed, but it seems like the Nats would prefer to go the college route, with Lee getting the nod over Jacob Berry.

https://www.mlb.com/news/final-mlb-mock-draft-2022

17 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Final MLB mock...

5. Nationals
Callis: Kevin Parada, C, Georgia Tech (No. 6)

The Nationals would strongly consider Green but likely will trade ceiling for a quicker return on investment with Parada, Louisiana State third baseman/outfielder Jacob Berry or Lee.

Mayo: Brooks Lee, SS, Cal Poly (No. 5)
Green’s very high ceiling is being discussed, but it seems like the Nats would prefer to go the college route, with Lee getting the nod over Jacob Berry.

https://www.mlb.com/news/final-mlb-mock-draft-2022

I think they want IF if possible and Lee would be more likely.

32 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

If they trade him then I'm less optimistic the team is sold to new ownership. If they were going to sell, feels like bidders would like to make that decision. 

I actually think trading helps the sale. We end up with a pile a top prospects, maybe ditch Corbin’s contract, and have minimal payroll obligations moving forward. New owners would have something they could build with. 

That said, having Soto locked up longterm also could help as it provides direction. The whole hanging in limbo thing is really the tough part. 

Normally I’d say they could delay this decision until after the season (but no further than that), but with the potential sale out there I think they try to do this, one way or another, before the deadline.

Guessing the Nats bump up his AAV by like $2m (15yr $470m) as their best and final. No coincidence they’re putting these numbers and trade rumors out there. They want this public to make fans know they’re making a legitimate push, and also making sure Soto knows he’ll be moved if he doesn’t sign. 

Still don’t see why they need to trade him at the deadline.  If I was buying the team, I’d want my GM trading to make the deal instead of inheriting what his predecessor did.  Of course, I’d also get the deal done.

I could see this as the Lerners wanting people to know that they are willing to spend $440M+ to keep him before they sell.  The trade talk could be just some pressure on Soto to come to an agreement.

From Soto’s perspective, he’s making a ton of money and will next year with arbitration.  It’s not like he’s desperate to make a deal soon.  He has little risk to take this to free agency.

Keep the dollars relatively the same, bring down the years, and drive up the AAV.

• Like 1

The ownership situation is the big variable in this equation. I really think that l, and how bad we've been this year, are the determining factors. Get a good ownership and they may extend him if he's not here. A lot of change is coming.

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Reasonable compromise for folks that badly want to keep him.

I look at Trout and realize what's like to have a really good player and still not go anywhere, having a good team is more important.

Ready to rip the bandaid off and do the full rebuild, I can see the case of multiple picks and lots of cap space being better then one frankly underachieving potential superstar.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Reasonable compromise for folks that badly want to keep him.

I look at Trout and realize what's like to have a really good player and still not go anywhere, having a good team is more important.

Ready to rip the bandaid off and do the full rebuild, I can see the case of multiple picks and lots of cap space being better then one frankly underachieving potential superstar.

What do you mean by “multiple picks”?  You can’t trade picks in MLB (with the exception of competitive balance picks).  So if you are expecting them to do something like the Texans did with Watson or the Jazz did with Gobert, you are going to be disappointed.

By the way, this “underachieving” player is eighth in OPS+, eighth in Runs Created, fourth in OBP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

What do you mean by “multiple picks”?  You can’t trade picks in MLB (with the exception of competitive balance picks).  So if you are expecting them to do something like the Texans did with Watson or the Jazz did with Gobert, you are going to be disappointed.

By the way, this “underachieving” player is eighth in OPS+, eighth in Runs Created, fourth in OBP.

Didn't know couldn't get multiple picks in MLB, my bad, multiple prospects is fine.  I wouldn't expect something like Gobert trade, especially given he's underachieving right now (hes hitting .249 right now).  

https://www.mlb.com/player/juan-soto-665742

Edited by Renegade7

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

The ownership situation is the big variable in this equation. I really think that l, and how bad we've been this year, are the determining factors. Get a good ownership and they may extend him if he's not here. A lot of change is coming.

Agreed. If the Lerners sell. New ownership is going to want to do a humber of things to put their stamp on their new purchase. 

40 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Didn't know couldn't get multiple picks in MLB, my bad, multiple prospects is fine.  I wouldn't expect something like Gobert trade, especially given he's underachieving right now (hes hitting .249 right now).  

I’d recommend looking beyond batting average for a player’s worth.  Because if you only cite BA, you come away thinking Yadier Hernandez is having a better season than Soto.

Juan is tied for seventh in oWAR.  He leads the league in walks by 44% more than the second place guy.  Pitchers are refusing to pitch to him.

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Soto starts slow.  Remember when he was treading the Mendoza line to start the season?

It also makes zero sense to telegraph to other teams that we ran out of negotiation room on an extension so we're looking for trade.  It should always be that we are happy to keep him but if an offer blows us away, we'll consider it.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’d recommend looking beyond batting average for a player’s worth.  Because if you only cite BA, you come away thinking Yadier Hernandez is having a better season than Soto.

Juan is tied for seventh in oWAR.  He leads the league in walks by 44% more than the second place guy.  Pitchers are refusing to pitch to him.

I am and also watching him play.

Can tell he's trying too hard, similar to years i saw Harper do the same.  @bearrock mentioned his slow starts, he was in the .230 range earlier in the season, Nationals likely arent ignoring that as part announcing they will try raising the overall money given and then no more,and i dont blame them. 

Yall have to say that he's still having a superstar season worthy of superstar money, then, im not sure i can make that case.  He's played 60% percent of the number of games he played last season, does he look better then last year?

SmartSelect_20220717-161518_Chrome.jpg.68d894af406ccc3af04f7270e598142a.jpg

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I am and also watching him play.

Can tell he's trying too hard, similar to years i saw Harper do the same.  @bearrock mentioned his slow starts, he was in the .230 range earlier in the season, Nationals likely arent ignoring that as part announcing they will try raising the overall money given and then no more,and i dont blame them. 

Yall have to say that he's still having a superstar season worthy of superstar money, then, im not sure i can make that case.  He's played 60% percent of the number of games he played last season, does he look better then last year?

SmartSelect_20220717-161518_Chrome.jpg.68d894af406ccc3af04f7270e598142a.jpg

If you are claiming that a top 8 valuable offensive player in the game is not a superstar season, then we’re not going to agree here.

Soto is not having as good a season as he did last season.  Doesn’t mean he’s not having a superstar season and doesn’t mean they shouldn’t back up the Brinks truck for him.

It’d be like saying that SD got a bad deal with Machado after his 2019 season.

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

If you are claiming that a top 8 valuable offensive player in the game is not a superstar season, then we’re not going to agree here.

Soto is not having as good a season as he did last season.  Doesn’t mean he’s not having a superstar season and doesn’t mean they shouldn’t back up the Brinks truck for him.

It’d be like saying that SD got a bad deal with Machado after his 2019 season.

We may not agree on if he's having a superstar season this year, but at least we can agree he's not playing as well as last year.  Can be made he's not playing as well as 2019, and this worst time to have this conversation, while he's negotiating a new contract.

Baseball isn't like Football or Basketball where one transcendent player at the right position cam put you in perennial playoff or even championship talk.  Ask Miguel Cabrera of Detroit.

We should seriously consider our options on what's best for franchise, big picture, I'm not convinced it's keeping him anymore like I used to be.

1 minute ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Really looking forward to that Stanton, Judge, Soto outfield 😍

what’s it going to take for the Nats to get that done? 

You and my Dad would be great friends, he loves threatening me with this...

giphy (23).gif

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Really looking forward to that Stanton, Judge, Soto outfield 😍

what’s it going to take for the Nats to get that done? 

All of your top 10 prospects to start....and a couple wild cards.

35 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We may not agree on if he's having a superstar season this year, but at least we can agree he's not playing as well as last year.  Can be made he's not playing as well as 2019, and this worst time to have this conversation, while he's negotiating a new contract.

Baseball isn't like Football or Basketball where one transcendent player at the right position cam put you in perennial playoff or even championship talk.  Ask Miguel Cabrera of Detroit.

We should seriously consider our options on what's best for franchise, big picture, I'm not convinced it's keeping him anymore like I used to be.

We don’t need to make that decision at this deadline.  We control him for two more years.  There’s little to no reason to trade him now.

• Like 1