Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

41 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This has been my stance all year: Soto will not reach free agency as a National. He’ll either sign or be traded for an absolute haul, like San Diego's top 5, at least.

This is the only two choices for a good front office, and even though it seems like I second guess Rizzo a lot (consider it differences in opinions and constructive criticism), but Rizzo is the best front office exec in DC by a country mile.

He knows what time it is, no matter who the owner is.  But he has no power to keep Soto a National if Soto doesn't want to be, so I hope we all in the same page about that (not you in particular, you come across like you see the writting on the wall here), this is over when Soto says it is (if we don't first).

I have no problem with Nationals saying "we gonna try this one more time then we are done", none at all.  But this backloading **** has to stop if they are serious about keeping him.

@Momma There Goes That Man see yall ain't wastin not time:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10042382-juan-soto-trade-rumors-yankees-mets-to-explore-possible-deals-for-nationals-star

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Like they took Bennett (again). Seems solid on a good team with a few years of experience since they first took him in 2019. Probably good to always take at least one pitcher on opening night. 

He's huge: 6'6" 234

7 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

I will throw up and cry if he gets traded to the ****ing Mets. 

There's no way Rizzo does that and allows Harper and Soto to both be on division rivials.

There isn't a package alive worth watching those two possibly alternating NL MVPs for the rest of the decade.

Crime againat baseball, pure nightmare fuel...

Well, I tried my best to get into the baseball draft but just couldn't do it.  Guess basketball is easier because despite the G-League and Euros I've never heard of, you usually only have to keep track of 1-3 names.  And with football, you get to see how your guys match up immediately since there's no minors, plus the exposure of college football.

I love baseball, played it for nearly 20 years.  But outside of the CWS, is it ever on TV?  And there's something like 50 rounds and so many levels of minors...hell, I can't even remember who the Nats took in the second round three years ago, much less what level they're playing at.  I think Stras and Harper were the only ones I really kept track of.

When did they start televising the MLB draft anyway?  I just noticed it was on yesterday scrolling through channels.

29 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Why is the MLB draft in the middle of the season? How do they determine the order? 

also, how did they draft somebody they drafted 3 years ago? Did he decide to stay in school another few years?

1. Because most of these guys need much minor league time, so it doesn't really impact the major league season.

2. Order has been based on record. But I think next year the top 3 are a lotto of the 3 worst records. No?

3. Happens all the time. If a guy is drafted but doesn't sign. His rights aren't owned by the team. Look a Rocker and the Mets last year. Now he probabaly will sign with the Rangers. In our case, yes. He was a low pick with a low chance of signing. He went to college.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Why is the MLB draft in the middle of the season? How do they determine the order? 

also, how did they draft somebody they drafted 3 years ago? Did he decide to stay in school another few years?

Order is same as the NFL. Although next year there is a lottery system, which means DC will get the worst possible pick (#4 or 5, I think).

They draft a HS kid who has a strong commitment to college and they choose to go to college instead.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

College and high school seasons end in May/June.  The draft now (typically in June though) to get those guys into a system so they can manage their summer play.   It’s the previous season order.  Though next year, they’ll institute a light lottery (I think it’s for the bottom three teams).

Unlike football and currently the NBA, you can draft a kid out of high school.  But they have leverage.  If they don’t like the money offered, they can go to school.  But they can’t re-enter the draft for another three years.  That’s why you see the high school guys sign for a lot, while college seniors don’t sign for much. 

There is risk to drafting a high school kid because they can refuse to sign.  If you don’t sign the guy, you get the next draft slot the following year.  For example, the Mets didn’t sign the #10 pick (Tracy Rocker’s son) last year, so they got the #11 pick this year and their own pick also.

Each team has a collection of pool money determined by draft slots to sign their players.  So there is a strategy as to whether or not to draft guys over or under slot in a particular round.

18 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

be patient. They aren't rushing either of those guys. 18 and 19 years old. 

Ordinarily I am, but we're in this position because of poor drafting and poor development. One of the worst in the majors...

3 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Ordinarily I am, but we're in this position because of poor drafting and poor development. One of the worst in the majors...

the last thing I want to do if they are trying (I don't know if they are) to improve development, is to rush. Get these guys into the system. We'll see what happens if/when new ownership comes along. But if that happens, investing in fixing whatever isn't working, is a must.