Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Watching a Corbin pitched game is painful. Now in the 6th we have 2 on with 2 out with Garcia at the plate. Fly ball down the left field line. Fan (young kid) reaches over the rail & catches the ball. So he's called out by the ump. It was a Seattle fan. Wow! They called him out after the review! Boooooo....losing 4-1 end of 6th...

37 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Ugh...Flora & Weems give up 5 in the 8th & 9th. Nats lose 9-5.  Good news: Ruiz 2-2 

They have a few relievers they have zero trust in. So, when you have to choose between them or using a guy 3+ days in a row. They do that. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

They have a few relievers they have zero trust in. So, when you have to choose between them or using a guy 3+ days in a row. They do that. 

Barnes threw seven pitches in the seventh. Couldn’t bring him out for the eighth?

Floro and Harvey should only have been used if it was late into extra innings.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Barnes threw seven pitches in the seventh. Couldn’t bring him out for the eighth?

It’s one of those situations where there are no real good options. 

Weems is approaching Rainey territory for me. Just unusable

5 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Seemed like the obvious move. Didn’t understand offering arbitration this offseason to begin with.

Loved standing in the SRO section watching him catch the final out in the NLCS. But it just wasn’t happening for him here.

Hopefully Thomas can catch some of his 2023 magic. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Seemed like the obvious move. Didn’t understand offering arbitration this offseason to begin with.

Loved standing in the SRO section watching him catch the final out in the NLCS. But it just wasn’t happening for him here.

Hopefully Thomas can catch some of his 2023 magic. 

I get how some could argue maybe sending Meneses down with his multiple options. But to be honest, while grateful for Robles' role in 2019. He's had 5 years to get better and he hasn't. He'll always be a WS Champ. I'm fine with this. 

Even with his HR, I would have let Gallo go weeks ago. Probably Senzel too. Go young. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

3 more Ks for Gallo. Just DFA him already, please. 

Hes in line. Rainey is next when we have other options coming. I can see them trying to get him right because he’s been an effective reliever in the past, but he’s not even hitting mid 90s anymore

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Hes in line. Rainey is next when we have other options coming. I can see them trying to get him right because he’s been an effective reliever in the past, but he’s not even hitting mid 90s anymore

Yeah, I don't know. Not saying there is a guy in AAA who can just come in and take his spot. But he can't be used in pretty much any situation now. Give me an unknown over that right now.

5 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Yeah, I don't know. Not saying there is a guy in AAA who can just come in and take his spot. But he can't be used in pretty much any situation now. Give me an unknown over that right now.

In addition to Zach Brzykcy, remember the name Orlando Ribalta. He's 26, but has a 0.95 ERA across 16 AA and 1 AAA appearances. He has a little wild (3.8 BB/9) but he also K's a ton of batters: 16.0/9. I also like Jose Ferrer--struggled last year, but was pretty dominant throughout the minors--although he has had a shoulder issue, so who knows if/when he comes back. I also think Robert Garcia should get more use--his ERA isn't pretty, but he has a 2.38 FIP, with a .435 BABIP. He's K-ing almost 13/9

• Like 1

I think guys like Weems and Law could be expected to be sharper if they weren’t sitting for week between appearances. Perhaps Rainey would be better if he didn’t sit for two weeks. 

Rainey has appeared in three games in May. Three. 

Hunter and Floro both have pitched 12 times so far this month.

I didn’t have a problem with yesterday’s decisions. Parker, who has shown up to be a stud, was dealing. I didn’t mind him working the seventh. Law hadn’t pitched in a week and it showed. Couldn’t go with Floro because he pitched three days in a row.

But he didn’t have to. The day before,Barnes only threw seven pitches the previous inning. He could have come back out. Law was another option. 

I was hoping the Doolittle addition would help with the decision making behind the bullpen management.

We may see Corbin to the bullpen when Cavalli or Gray comes back.

Ferrer, Ribalta, and Brzykcy are good names to watch like @Riggo#44

mentioned.

Matt Cronin is another one to keep an eye on. He’s showing well at the lower levels after recovering from injury. He may fly up the system.

9 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I think guys like Weems and Law could be expected to be sharper if they weren’t sitting for week between appearances. Perhaps Rainey would be better if he didn’t sit for two weeks. 

Possibly for Law, and he should not be brought in with men on. But Jordan Weems is the Patrick Corbin of the bullpen--give up all hope when he's in the game. I  have no idea why Rainey is on this team.

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Possibly for Law, and he should not be brought in with men on. But Jordan Weems is the Patrick Corbin of the bullpen--give up all hope when he's in the game. I  have no idea why Rainey is on this team.

Last week, they were beating the Twins by nine runs in the ninth. Why pitch Floro there? Why not go with J Barnes or Weems? (Rainey threw 23 pitches the day before after his 14 day layoff).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Last week, they were beating the Twins by nine runs in the ninth. Why pitch Floro there? Why not go with J Barnes or Weems? (Rainey threw 23 pitches the day before after his 14 day layoff).

because even there you don't trust Rainey apparently.