Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

I would think that Thomas returns today. We may see Robles getting DFA’d.

Sad part is there are several other players worse than Robles. Joey Gallo being one.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Sad part is there are several other players worse than Robles. Joey Gallo being one.

There’s just no adequate first basemen on this team. 

I don’t know if Winker could play there, but it would relieve the logjam of Ofers if he could.

3 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

There’s just no adequate first basemen on this team. 

I don’t know if Winker could play there, but it would relieve the logjam of Ofers if he could.

This team has nothing exciting outside of our pitching and Abrams--who has been on a month long slump as well. I so look forward to Crews, Wood, House in the near future.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This team has nothing exciting outside of our pitching and Abrams--who has been on a month long slump as well. I so look forward to Crews, Wood, House in the near future.

I’d say the play of García Jr at 23 years old has been a really nice revelation. And Jacob Young holding his own has been nice too. If García can continue putting up a 122 OPS+ as the fifth or sixth offensive weapon, then they will be in pretty good shape.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’d say the play of García Jr at 23 years old has been a really nice revelation. And Jacob Young holding his own has been nice too. If García can continue putting up a 122 OPS+ as the fifth or sixth offensive weapon, then they will be in pretty good shape.

Garcia has impressed and Young is a really useful reserve outfielder in the future. You're right. Working 60 hrs weeks can addle even the smartest brains.

Just a quick check--it looks like Garcia's underlying metrics back up his breakout. He's chasing less and hitting the ball harder. If he's above average at second, that's a really useful player. He looks like an early-career Daniel Murphy.

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Garcia has impressed and Young is a really useful reserve outfielder in the future. You're right. Working 60 hrs weeks can addle even the smartest brains.

Oh, yeah. You should work less.

We’ve talked about getting a big bopper to play first. Mainly, the Mets 1B. But I don’t know if I’d want to give him the years he’ll demand.

I think we can go into the season with the following:

OF: Wood, Crews, Young, Thomas, Garrett

1B: Hassell (I’d be interested in him making this position change)

IF García, Abrams, House, Vargas, Lipscomb

C Ruiz, Adams, Millas (2)

DH can be open with a rotation of the fourth OF. Give House a break at third.

Against tough lefties, you can have Lipscomb at first. Morales should be on his way.

I’d use the majority of money on pitching.

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Hassell is definitely not a first baseman--he has really good range in the OF, and decent enough arm. Yohandy is probably going to be the 1B of the future.

I’m trying to get the best bats on the field. Very similar to how the Angels moved Darin Erstad to first to accommodate their OFers.

Hassell would be the best CFer prospect for most clubs. He can definitely play OF. In this organization though he is likely the fourth best CFer. Of all the OF prospects, he would be the best one to make that move to first.

Of the guys in Harrisburg, Morales is probably the furthest away. I don’t think he’ll be ready in April.

In 2026, with Thomas gone, you could easily slide Hassell back into the OF rotation. But then you’d also have Lile and possibly Pickney and De La Rosa waiting in the wings.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’m trying to get the best bats on the field. Very similar to how the Angels moved Darin Erstad to first to accommodate their OFers.

Hassell would be the best CFer prospect for most clubs. He can definitely play OF. In this organization though he is likely the fourth best CFer. Of all the OF prospects, he would be the best one to make that move to first.

Of the guys in Harrisburg, Morales is probably the furthest away. I don’t think he’ll be ready in April.

In 2026, with Thomas gone, you could easily slide Hassell back into the OF rotation. But then you’d also have Lile and possibly Pickney and De La Rosa waiting in the wings.

Morales has had a better May than Hassell. Lower strikeout percentage and higher OPS. Neither are lighting it on fire lately.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Morales has had a better May than Hassell. Lower strikeout percentage and higher OPS. Neither are lighting it on fire lately.

When is Morales going to come off the IL? How many professional PAs will he have going into next season?  I believe Hassell is a decent amount ahead of him at the moment.

I loved the Morales pick. Hopefully he gets healthy soon, and I’m wrong and he’s ready for the majors early next season.

I’d much rather have Hassell/Morales at 1B with Young/Thomas in the OF than Hassell in the OF, Meneses at 1B and Young/Thomas on the bench.

Very good night from Gore. Less foul balls than usual keeping his pitch count manageable. He and Keibert seemed to have a really nice rhythm tonight. 

The outings they are getting from their pre-arb starters have been fantastic. Hopefully Cavalli and Gray can add to it when they return.

Ruiz's best game of the year. Noticed he ditched his high leg kick before his swing. Just a little toe tap load. Let him keep his weight back instead of lunging at the ball like usual.

A solid line drive single, and that bomb late.

He credited the asst hitting coach (Not Coles) for coaching him up with that approach.. 🤔

36 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Ruiz's best game of the year. Noticed he ditched his high leg kick before his swing. Just a little toe tap load. Let him keep his weight back instead of lunging at the ball like usual.

He credited the asst hitting coach (Not Coles) for coaching him up with that approach.. 🤔

I picked up on that too. Lots of credit being given to the assistant pitching and hitting coaches.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

I heard his bat speed was faster than usual too.

13 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

He credited the asst hitting coach (Not Coles) for coaching him up with that approach.

Our assistant hitting coach? Former Nats Villain Chris Johnson.

• Like 1