Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

That was a good series and the Nats certainly look better than they have over the past couple seasons.  I like the aggressiveness on the basepaths in particular.

Your team reminds me of the 2022 Orioles, a team that won 31 more games than they did the previous year.  That team played a lot of close games, came from behind a lot and had that never say die attitude.  

I really, really like CJ Abrams, that's a great piece to build around.

I hope the Nats rebuild goes well and it'd be awesome to see a Nats/Orioles World Series in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

That was a good series and the Nats certainly look better than they have over the past couple seasons.  I like the aggressiveness on the basepaths in particular.

Your team reminds me of the 2022 Orioles, a team that won 31 more games than they did the previous year.  That team played a lot of close games, came from behind a lot and had that never say die attitude.  

I really, really like CJ Abrams, that's a great piece to build around.

I hope the Nats rebuild goes well and it'd be awesome to see a Nats/Orioles World Series in the near future.

Honestly, they remind me of the 2012 Orioles. Getting a bunch of contributions from guys where you’re like, huh, I guess that worked.

Abrams is a boss. Though he had it off the bat in the 11th.

13 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Honestly, they remind me of the 2012 Orioles. Getting a bunch of contributions from guys where you’re like, huh, I guess that worked.

Abrams is a boss. Though he had it off the bat in the 11th.

I think the 2012 Orioles had more veterans and more names you’d recognize on that team. I can see why you’d make that comparison though. 

I love the Scrapitude of this team. Coming back from two runs down, twice, almost a third time, against the best team in the AL right now. Staring pitching held a very good line up to 2 runs, on solo homers, is also really encouraging. Despite the bomb Harvey gave up to Montcaslte, him and Finney are fantastic at the end of the pen. Just need to replace the dreck like Meneses, Weems, etc. Good times are close.

And Kimbrel sucks.

• Like 2

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

I love the Scrapitude of this team.

#Scrapitude

That was a scrappy effort last night. Shame they couldn't take advantage of RISP in the early innings better. Red Sox and then White Sox next. Hopefully they come out of it over 500.

18 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

#Scrapitude

That was a scrappy effort last night. Shame they couldn't take advantage of RISP in the early innings better. Red Sox and then White Sox next. Hopefully they come out of it over 500.

We play so well against the Dodgers, O's...what do you want to bet we lose two of three to the White Sox--who are ****ing terrible. We are only going to win so many games running Meneses, Gallo, Weems, Corbin, Rosario (until lately). Ruiz needs to figure it out--he's be awful since coming back from being ill. I think they need to get Riley more ABs. But it's going to be so exciting the next couple years as we see Wood, Crews, House, Hassell (hopefully he keeps this up) work their way up to the bigs.

• Haha 1

I know Thomas is due to come back at sometime, but damn if he wasn't playing some bad baseball in ST & to start the season. His bat has been silent. I don't see him as the bat to save the middle of the order. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

House has been a nice story. There is no rush for him. But in his situation, is AA or AAA the place he should be? 

Yeah, the organization should be commended for how they developed especially with his back situation.

I do like the idea of Hassell, Pickney, Crews, House, and Morales playing together. But I think it’s time for Hassell to AAA and House up there midseason.

I don’t know how you can’t get excited about future after the Orioles series and today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Yeah, the organization should be commended for how they developed especially with his back situation.

I do like the idea of Hassell, Pickney, Crews, House, and Morales playing together. But I think it’s time for Hassell to AAA and House up there midseason.

I don’t know how you can’t get excited about future after the Orioles series and today.

I heard Mr. Tony say it this way today "I don't want to say I'm optimistic yet, but I'm not pessimistic.' when talking about the current big league team. Got me thinking that was fair for the moment and how it could flip to optimistic if/when Wood comes up and if/when Gray comes back and hopefully is right...... And..... Whatever is up with Cavalli's rehab

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

For fielders, especially now that we're so aggressive on the basepaths, definitely excited. I'm hoping this shifts some of what we focus on scouting wise for the draft. I've said this before, but I think it'll be the new moneyball.

For pitchers though? It's a bit more murky. We have a potential guy in A+, and a pair of intriguing 19 year olds that are about as raw as can be in A.

What do we do with Trevor Williams? This seems like a classic Sell High moment in a month or two.

I think people are really sleeping on House. He turns just 21 in 3 weeks. He has cut Ks, about 22% right now, and has an outstanding 12ish% walk rate. Has an .833 OPS right now. I am loving what we have coming.

Also, Jarlin Susana: cut BB/9 in half from 5.7/9 last year to 2.8/9 this year, while striking out almost 4 more batters per 9: 8.9 to 12.7 this year. SO/BB ratio is up to 4.6. His ERA is high (5.55) as his his BABIP: .432! Huge improvements this year--he keeps this up, he'll be on the top 100 by the All Star Break.

22 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think people are really sleeping on House. He turns just 21 in 3 weeks. He has cut Ks, about 22% right now, and has an outstanding 12ish% walk rate. Has an .833 OPS right now. I am loving what we have coming.

Also, Jarlin Susana: cut BB/9 in half from 5.7/9 last year to 2.8/9 this year, while striking out almost 4 more batters per 9: 8.9 to 12.7 this year. SO/BB ratio is up to 4.6. His ERA is high (5.55) as his his BABIP: .432! Huge improvements this year--he keeps this up, he'll be on the top 100 by the All Star Break.

I think we (the collective we) are impatient. And it’s easy to look at prospects without considering their age at their level. Susana was over two and half years younger than the average age in single A last year. He struggled mightily. But he’s also adjusting to a program in his new organization.  He’s going to be a volatile prospect who will have his ups and downs. His 2024 has been very exciting so far highlighted by the numbers you posted.

Brenner Cox is another guy to keep an eye on. Second professional year. Awesome athlete who turned down a football scholarship with the Longhorns. He looked completely lost last year. But keep in mind that a few years ago, he would have played a year of rookie ball instead of low-A. He’s starting to show some signs.

Honestly, we’re getting to the point (not this year, but possibly next year) where we move OF prospects for other needs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Honestly, we’re getting to the point (not this year, but possibly next year) where we move OF prospects for other needs.

Think we can move Elijah Green? :ols: