Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Cool we’re at .500 nearly through the end of April. A quick glance at the schedule indicates the road gets tougher for the next six weeks. We don’t play a team that’s currently more than a game under .500 until the next time we get the Marlins on June 14, and there’s a bunch of quality teams mixed in during that stretch as well. 

It does get a bit easier after that, so if we’re aiming for let’s say a 75 win season, it could still be doable even if we’re not on track for it by the start of July. 

54 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

They clearly aren't rushing him since with the few changes they'd had, they kept him in AAA.

Still...... Got Wood yet?

They have a lot of roster decisions to make over the next month.

Robles starts a rehab assignment. Garrett is currently on one.

Thomas may be ready late May/early June. Gallo’s injury isn’t long term.

Call has done well in his limited sample, but I don’t think he sticks.

I wouldn’t send Young down for Robles. I think we’ll see Robles back soon and Call sent down. They’ll go with an OF of Winker, Robles, Young. Maybe Robles plays himself into a trade or gets released. Wood replaces him.

Garrett replaces Rosario.

Whomever is healthier first (Gallo, Thomas) replaces Lipscomb.

Lots of moving parts and priorities to manage. I know Senzel has another year of control, but if he plays his way into a Candelario type trade, I think you jump on it.

This is just the position side. We could have Gray and Cavalli returning in a similar timeframe.

12 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

CJ Havoc

He is on pace for a 30-30 season. He’s not too far off the pace for a 40-40 season. Absolutely incredible. I don’t think the homerun pace maintains throughout the season, but I’m hoping the 70ish point improvement in his OBP is here to stay.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Glad to see Abrams making the jump.

He's a bonafide superstar in the making and man, what a great surprise after his rocky first season here. 

12 years combined of team control for Abrams + Wood are a MUCH better bargain than 3 expensive years of Soto playing for a losing team. Anything else we can from any of the other prospects is just a bonus. Oh and one of those "bonus" players is currently in our rotation sporting a 3.12 ERA.

2 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

He's a bonafide superstar in the making and man, what a great surprise after his rocky first season here. 

12 years combined of team control for Abrams + Wood are a MUCH better bargain than 3 expensive years of Soto playing for a losing team. Anything else we can from any of the other prospects is just a bonus. Oh and one of those "bonus" players is currently in our rotation sporting a 3.12 ERA.

He was super hyped coming up with the Padres and didn't look that great when he started there.  I think he flashed a little last year for the Nats but I don't think anyone saw this coming.

Hard to believe he's still only 23 and in his third season.  He'll play the whole season at this age, too....still very young.

Rosario is batting .088 right now. Like Gallo, just get him out of the lineup. DFA/Release him if that's possible. I know they have guys on IR working their way back. But anybody would be better right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Rosario is batting .088 right now. Like Gallo, just get him out of the lineup. DFA/Release him if that's possible. I know they have guys on IR working their way back. But anybody would be better right now.

I’d expect him to move out when Robles comes back which could be this weekend or early next week.

I know they talk about needing lefty bats. If that’s the case, then bring up Wood too.

9 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’d expect him to move out when Robles comes back which could be this weekend or early next week.

I know they talk about needing lefty bats. If that’s the case, then bring up Wood too.

if a lefty 30+ batter can't hit..... is he still a lefty bat?

13 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

if a lefty 30+ batter can't hit..... is he still a lefty bat?

Yeah, just get guys who can hit. Even if Wood stays down, you still have four lefties in your primary lineup.

BTW, Green has also hit two HRs in two days. He’s had it rough recently including a 5 k game a few days ago.

22 hours ago, TheGoodBits said:

Speaking of bonus players, re the updates above on Robert Hassell, he was regarded as the best pure hitter that came over in the trade and he absolutely stunk last year. But he dealt with a hamate injury for the better part of two years, and was still recovering from it most of last season. Having dealt with a hamate type injury before, it takes absolutely forever to regain strength in your hand/wrist in a way that is sufficient to handle the amount of torque generated by swinging a baseball bat. Glad to see him picking back up and raking now.