Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D.J. Swearinger blasts Redskins DC Manusky after loss

RedskinsLegacy

I absolutely agree with with DJ, there is no aggressiveness or strategy on this Defense. We shut down their red hot RB, knock out their starting QB,  then literally lay back and watch the back up QB sit in the pocket, get into rhythm, and start picking us apart. Only to open back up the same things we shut down all night, that my friends is piss poor coaching!  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001002655/article/dj-swearinger-blasts-redskins-dc-manusky-after-loss

"I felt like we should have been more aggressive," safety D.J. Swearinger said after the 25-16 loss. "I feel like on the third down and 6, third down and 7, we're playing a backup quarterback, why would you put us in man-to-man? We are our best on defense when we look at the quarterback. When you go one high on a backup quarterback, that's easy, man. It'll go backside every time.

"I feel like if we look at the quarterback with all this time we've got on the back end, man, we can dominate every team, every week. I'm not the defensive coordinator though, so..."

"We've got a lot of talent on this team, man," Swearinger said. "I look at film of other teams. I always see nickels blitzing, I always see safeties blitzing. When we was down, that's the first time we send a blitz? So it's just frustrating. I don't know what to say about it. With the playmakers we've got on defense, man, there's no way we should've lost this game.

Personally I cannot stand players going to the media and calling out coaches. True or not you handle that within the team. It shows a lack of unprofessionalism. There are other ways to handle that conversation and a hot take after a tough loss is not the way to do so. It's a losers mentality. I did not like it when Chris Baker got in Berry's face and I hate this kind of thing now. Not a Manusky fan but this is not the way to do it.

Swearinger needed to be benched the first time he did this. Insubordination is going to sink a ship. It ruins morale and makes everyone second guess leadership. That said, Swearinger seems to be right and it probably does need to be said because it's become to visible to all. The moment we lost Quinton Dunbar this team became a read/react, playing-scared of making mistakes kind of defense. More, once his defense was exposed pretty much every O exploited the same weakness and suddenly a top five defense became a bottom three defense. 

That shouldn't happen.

What we were doing yesterday did not work. Manusky also knows that we are relying on Norman who's a good/not elite corner, Moreau, a 7th round rookie and off the street free agents.  What's weird to me is we seemed somehow to being playing man without trying to pressure the QB.

I agree totally with DJ, but I also agree it's bad form to keep doing this kind of thing over and over in front of the media. Then again, I think Manusky is so terrible and uninspired as a DC that I just don't think I really mind this circus. Guy should've been canned weeks ago. Such a gut punch to lose that game yesterday. Could've been one of the great underdog stories in recent memory, and Manusky predictably gave it away. 

6 minutes ago, mojo said:

I’ve heard enough from DJ this year and I’m ready for him to go.  Whether he was right or wrong doesn’t matter. Good teams don’t have players ****ing to the media every week. 

When you have a coaching staff that doesn't really care and there are no repercussions for doing so,  why not?  We've had these same issues year after year.

When is the last time you have seen a player held accountable?

16 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

I agree totally with DJ, but I also agree it's bad form to keep doing this kind of thing over and over in front of the media. Then again, I think Manusky is so terrible and uninspired as a DC that I just don't think I really mind this circus. Guy should've been canned weeks ago. Such a gut punch to lose that game yesterday. Could've been one of the great underdog stories in recent memory, and Manusky predictably gave it away. 

Agree, except...

Remember when we were all going crazy in the early season, when our defense was awesome B.I. (before injuries).

OUR TACKLING SUCKS. We coulda had a sack late on Gabbert, dude whiffed because he was coming too hard, too fast. 

Timing is everything, our secondary coverage is a concern. But we've got the injuries. 

I wanna bust out on the strength/conditioning coach. Whatever his plan is?... It ain't working. 

1 minute ago, allskinz said:

When you have a coaching staff that doesn't really care and there are no repercussions for doing so,  why not?  We've had these same issues year after year.

When is the last time you have seen a player held accountable?

Good point.  That’s on Jay.  He should have put this issue to bed weeks ago. That said, I hope DJ and Manusky are gone.

12 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I dont know why you don't make every offensive game plan around attacking Mason Foster.  If Manusky keeps putting him out there, identify 54 and every TE or RB should get 20 targets a game right at him.  

They kind of have. Have you seen how many game plans are based on going wide whether on sweeps, swing passes, or whatnot? Mason, I could be wrong, is never fast enough to get there, and routinely we see these 2 yard passes become 8, 12, 26 yard first downs. Same thing with the running game. Mason made some plays when we ran up the middle, but we are having tremendous trouble getting containing and Foster can't get there even when the edge is set.

I agree Swearinger should not have gone to the media.  But he is right about the lack of blitzing by safeties or by linebackers.  We let Blaine Gabbert beat us when we were on the verge of an amazing win with a bunch of no name backups leading the way.  There should be an NFL rule- if you let Blaine Gabbert beat you, then automatically the defensive coordinator loses his job the next day..... I watched this guy play for the 49ers and he was awful.  But you must also hold the players accountable for poor tackling, missed interception, etc.  On a positive note, I thought Allen was a beast out there and he knocked out Marriota too.  

Remember that time when a bunch of us at ES (including myself) were disappointed when at the 10th pick, we passed on Blaine "****ing" Gabbert and traded back to get some kid we'd never heard of named Ryan Kerrigan? 

Just a reminder that most of us here (including myself) know dick about player evaluations.  Off topic of the thread, but **** it, it's the offseason, and I'm still pissed about yesterday too. 

Hail. 

Just now, LetThePointsSoar said:

Remember that time when a bunch of us at ES (including myself) were disappointed when at the 10th pick, we passed on Blaine "****ing" Gabbert and traded back to get some kid we'd never heard of named Ryan Kerrigan? 

Just a reminder that most of us here (including myself) know dick about player evaluations.  Off topic of the thread, but **** it, it's the offseason, and I'm still pissed about yesterday too. 

Hail. 

I was telling my kids this exactly yesterday 

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

Except I hated gabbert at Mizzou and didn’t want him

Just now, Inigo Montoya said:

Hope you guys had a blast. Was still trying to figure out a way to swing the impromptu trip for it right up until 9am yesterday lol.  

Once the schedule for 2019 gets announced, we should all get a road game on the calendar and plan a game for a big ES tailgate. 

54 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Swearinger needed to be benched the first time he did this.

Last time he did it, it was against his teammates.

Now he clearly stated that he watches more film than coaches and than he's smarter than them. Which is quite ****y from him (though not a big surprise).

If that is true (and to be honest he's rarely out of position and sniffs plays well), then it shows lack of dedication from our DC and every Defensive positional coaches, at least.

Now, to me, even though I disagree with his method, Swearinger is the visible part of the iceberg. I agree with Finlay that rumblings must be better. And I don't really believe Jonathan Allen's believe what he said when he thinks the Defensive gameplan was good. He's being professionnal, and that's it. I believe he's a bit more vocal behind the curtain and share DJ's point of view.

Anyway, that won't get us anywhere, and I'm expecting 2 things out of it:

- Swearinger won't play against the Eagles, because Jay has to do something about it. Whether DJ's right or not.

- Manusky won't last long after the end of the season.

7 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Except I hated gabbert at Mizzou and didn’t want him

Damn mate, did you really just quote yourself and answered your own quote???

Lol that's impressive!

As one of the leaders of the defense, Swearinger needed to keep this sort of thing in-house.  By allowing himself to vent his frustrations to the media vultures circling the Redskins, he has created another issue that will place his other fellow teammates on the spot.  Because they'll be pressed to comment on what Swearinger said and on whether they feel the defensive coaching staff let them down too, or whether some teammates are not good enough for man-to-man defensive schemes, etc., etc.   ...And nothing good will come of that.

Swearinger ought to man up, and publicly retract his statement as an inaccurate emotional outburst born out of frustration.  He should express his respect for and confidence in the Skins coaching staff, and apologize to all for any misconceptions his outburst might have created.  He should emphasize that his Skins teammates are good enough to execute whatever defensive scheme requested of it, but that the Titans offense is also good, and capable of executing its schemes, and how this particular time it was Tennessee that prevailed.

Swearinger has to respect the line between being a fiery leader of the defense and being a hothead who crosses that line and starts causing media brush-fires.  ....Keep it in-house, DJ.

I agree that Swearinger should publicly apologize and/or be benched. 

It is also clear that Swearinger is correct. Anyone with eyes this year can tell that the defense is vastly underperforming it’s talent level and that is all scheme and coaching. 

Manusky needs replacing. 

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I agree Swearinger should not have gone to the media.  But he is right about the lack of blitzing by safeties or by linebackers.  We let Blaine Gabbert beat us when we were on the verge of an amazing win with a bunch of no name backups leading the way.  There should be an NFL rule- if you let Blaine Gabbert beat you, then automatically the defensive coordinator loses his job the next day..... I watched this guy play for the 49ers and he was awful.  But you must also hold the players accountable for poor tackling, missed interception, etc.  On a positive note, I thought Allen was a beast out there and he knocked out Marriota too.  

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: There is too much talent on the defensive side of the ball, talent that is being squandered by poor coaching. Kds like Allen, Payne, Anderson, and Kerrigan deserve better. I don't agree with Rev. Swearinger being so out there with his comments, but we all know it's the truth. Should've never hired from within for the DC position, but we also know why a lot of people were advised against even considering coming to Ashburn.

While I don't disagree with what he's saying, there were also many situations where we were in a position to make a play but didn't, like whiffing on a tackle or Haha letting a pick go through his arms. It wasn't ALL on coaching.

With that said, Manusky has gotta go. I'm so sick of the bend but dont break nonsense. Good defenses attack.

35 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I agree that Swearinger should publicly apologize and/or be benched. 

Yea, no sense risking injury in a meaningless game. Get your self benched with the ability to find a new team next year.

35 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

It is also clear that Swearinger is correct. Anyone with eyes this year can tell that the defense is vastly underperforming it’s talent level and that is all scheme and coaching. 

Manusky needs replacing. 

Yeah. I’m sort of suprised he didn’t take a shot at gruden too.

Archived