Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

D.J. Swearinger blasts Redskins DC Manusky after loss

RedskinsLegacy

I think if he says this at a time when it's not only true, but at a time when we're eliminated from the playoffs, and only one game left, there's not a whole lot of damage.

If he did this in the middle of the season, when we were still competing for a playoff spot, and team cohesion was still crucial, that would be another story.

Not saying I condone what he did.

But I don't condemn it either.

The timeline of Swearinger may be interesting.

criticize practices

criticize players for loafing during practices

criticize players for lack of focus in walk throughs

criticize coach for changing defensive style

criticize coach for ****ty play calling

I'm not sure that was all Swearinger and I can't actually put the time stamp on each, but I remember all of this leaking out from time to time through the season and even the preseason. The discontent has been building. The frustration with players not giving it their all has been building. The griping has been ongoing and not just from Swearinger.

Swearinger's outburst wasn't the dynamite going off just the whistle of steam getting loose from the kettle again.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

criticize practices

There's some Jon Allen in it too.

He was among those complaining about attitude during practices early in the season.

But DJ was on everything too :P

He's taking the blame, mostly for taking it public, but as a whole, I really doubt he's the only one. Anyway I don't think any team would look cool and cohesive after finishing 7-9/8-8 when they started 5-2... This alone creates problems within the locker room, because obviously, something went wrong.

8 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I think DJ might get benched on the back of this. Can see an ugly situation brewing over his contract as well. This might result in a parting of ways.

Well, with everything he said, I'm not sure he wants to come back here next year if there's no changes made.

It's really sad how we can have undermined great guys like Trent, London and Chris Samuels' career for playing here. Those kind of guys really deserved better that this ****ty organisation.

I don't think DJS is complaining just to complain, or to vent, like some spontaneous emotional reaction.

He may have a deliberate plan here. He is very specific in his criticism. He truly wants to win, as much as anyone on the team, and maybe

he believes his outburst will bring certain changes to the team that are necessary, and not a change that

benches or gets rid of him, but a change in coaching.

Maybe the FO is truly listening, as he intends.

Just my guess.

1 hour ago, Wildbunny said:

Well, with everything he said, I'm not sure he wants to come back here next year if there's no changes made.

It's really sad how we can have undermined great guys like Trent, London and Chris Samuels' career for playing here. Those kind of guys really deserved better that this ****ty organisation.

Cant group the recently cut DJ with those players.

Let me guess: George Allen's son wanted Gruden to hire Manusky as DC. Manusky proved to be less than competent in his charge once teams figured out, mid-season, what he was doing (and he failed to adjust to that). Swearinger called him out, which is an indirect hit on George Allen's son. Thus, the team president forced Swearinger out.

Everything he said was true, so I don't think any of us can argue with that. But as most have said here, he could've been less public with the comments. Not worried about Swearinger. He was having an all-pro season and is a damn good safety. He'll be starting somewhere next season, bank on it; and it'll be with a functional organization.

On 12/23/2018 at 7:55 AM, fordranger76 said:

Personally I cannot stand players going to the media and calling out coaches. True or not you handle that within the team. It shows a lack of unprofessionalism. There are other ways to handle that conversation and a hot take after a tough loss is not the way to do so. It's a losers mentality. I did not like it when Chris Baker got in Berry's face and I hate this kind of thing now. Not a Manusky fan but this is not the way to do it.

Actually I think it shows an abundance of unprofessionalism ; )

6 hours ago, Burgold said:

The timeline of Swearinger may be interesting.

criticize practices

I'm not sure that was all Swearinger and I can't actually put the time stamp on each, but I remember all of this leaking out from time to time through the season and even the preseason. The discontent has been building. The frustration with players not giving it their all has been building. The griping has been ongoing and not just from Swearinger.

Swearinger's outburst wasn't the dynamite going off just the whistle of steam getting loose from the kettle again.

You know what the main problem with all that is?

Everything he said was right.

Sigh 100% chance all leadership is back next year. That saddens me more than anything else. No way he can do this if he's not 100% coming back next season.

Hope they are prepared for more empty seats and lower ratings as more people realize this product is not worth financially supporting.

15 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Hope they are prepared for more empty seats and lower ratings as more people realize this product is not worth financially supporting.

Doofus Dan is better than Geico. He's saved an increasing number in the 1000s of fans close to 100% in their fandom over the past decade plus. I haven't spent a cent in over a decade myself.

I never did spend a lot since I never lived close to DC but look at the stands next weekend and then compare to back in 2004 2005 when they were adding in all the obstructed view seating and it still wasn't enough. People used to say on here that they were keeping their family generational seats because they are so hard to get and they knew that they could never replace them with equal or better. Now day's you can probably get just about any seating anywhere in the stadium but then you'd have to sit next to Giants Eagles and Turds fans.

Dan Snyder in his bumbling idiocy found a way to screw up something that everyone has always said was virtually impossible to screw up. Not only has he royally screwed it up but he's out there finding ways to add more to the pile like cutting the good players for speaking the truth.

Cut for telling the truth.

Dan and Bruce are pathetic humans.

Manusky got his feelings hurt, or felt embarrassed? Good.

Doesn't matter how Gruden feels about it. He's likely gone soon anyway.

Swearinger told the truth and that's all that matters with this cluster**** of an organization. This isn't New England or Pittsburgh, where success is familiar. This is the Washington ****show and the coaches/front office have earned the harsh words from the players.

Players have to run the schemes/plays they're told to, or they won't be on the field. So, when it fails it isn't JUST on the player, if the call is bad.

To me, this is more an indictment of Grudens and this staff/admin then anything else. I could honestly come down on either side of this argument (excessively airing your teams dirty laundry in public is sacrilegious imo, and deserves a stern punishment) but like I did with Shanghai Mike, the buck ultimately stops with the HC, or just "Uncle Jay," because he seems more buddy coordinator than coach.

You must have your team prepared, cohesive, and ready to put their best foot forward.... And you must always hold yourself and the team accountable, and lead them.

Jay has never really struck me as that type of hc, ever. It can't be illustrated any clearer than the situation with Foster (both Fosters), the signings of Galette, etc, along with this team always seeming like it's playing at a slower pace than everyone else (I've always thought he was a Camp Lemonade coach, and to have Swearenger not only echo that, but bring up the issue about being stripped of his team captain status despite being voted in, only reinforces that belief).

There is an unprofessional work environment in place at Redskins Park. This is why I never bought into the Johnson stuff, was overly negative this season starting from the jump, and why I will be, until the right changes are made. Players will never thrive in this organizational quagmire, and neither will execs or coaches. Like lkb said (and it was also something said by Louis Riddick), people do not come here and become the best version of themselves. They end up leaving a little worse off than when they arrived. And it won't change. It's the exact opposite of the "Luck" that comes with success/hard work.

I haven't read through this thread, but I'm pretty sure there was a way to discipline Swearenger  (for the time being) without outright cutting one of your best players (suspension, conduct detrimental, something like that). The fact that they did not go this route, and gave up his services for nothing (and have now surely fostered more division within the locker room by Bravehearting him) , just further signals to me that there are clowns running this franchise. An ongoing procession of clowns, under a clown owner, who instead of putting his foot down and trying to restore order to his house, probably just leaves everything now to Lil Harvest Fest to handle.

Archived