Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #Redskins KERRIGAN AND WILLIAMS NAMED TO 2019 PRO BOWL

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

December 18, 2018

KERRIGAN AND WILLIAMS NAMED TO 2019 PRO BOWL

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The National Football League announced this evening that linebacker Ryan Kerrigan and tackle Trent Williams have been selected to the 2019 Pro Bowl. The annual contest of the NFL's best will take place Sunday, Jan. 27, 2019, at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Fla.

In addition, running back Adrian Peterson, tight end Jordan Reed, cornerback Josh Norman, safety D.J. Swearinger Sr., kicker Dustin Hopkins and punter Tress Way were selected as alternates.

Including three selections last season, the Redskins have now produced at least two Pro Bowl players in three consecutive seasons for the first time since the 2012-14 campaigns.

Kerrigan’s selection is his third straight, fourth of his career (2012, 2016-18), and his second consecutive selection in which he was voted as starter. He becomes the first member of the Redskins selected as a starter in back-to-back Pro Bowls since Brian Orakpo earned consecutive starts following the 2009-10 seasons. 

His selection marks the eighth time in the last 10 years that a Redskins linebacker has earned Pro Bowl honors. He becomes the first Redskins linebacker to earn three consecutive Pro Bowl honors since London Fletcher earned four consecutive selections following the 2009-12 seasons.

Kerrigan, 30, has started all 126 regular season games for Washington since being selected with the No. 16 overall pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. His 126 consecutive starts are the longest active streak among NFL linebackers. For his career, Kerrigan has recorded 82.5 sacks, second-most by a member of the Redskins since the NFL adopted sacks as an official statistic in 1982.

Following his two-sack performance against the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 15, Kerrigan passed Charles Mann and is now nine sacks shy of Dexter Manley (91.0) for first on the Redskins' all-time career list. With 11 sacks on the season, Kerrigan became the first member of the Redskins to record three consecutive double-digit sack seasons since Dexter Manley accomplished the feat across the 1983-86 seasons.

Williams’ selection is the seventh of his career (2012-18) and his seventh consecutive selection since 2012. With his seventh consecutive selection, Williams joins Ken Houston (seven straight from 1973-79) as the only members of the Redskins to earn seven consecutive Pro Bowl selections. Williams now ties cornerback Darrell Green and Houston for the third-most total selections in team history and becomes only the fifth player in franchise history to earn at least seven career Pro Bowl honors (Chris Hanburger, 9; Charley Taylor, 8; Darrell Green, 7; Ken Houston, 7).

Williams’ selection this season is the 20th by a Redskins offensive tackle since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, including selections by Chris Samuels (2001-02, 05-08), Jim Lachey (1990-91), Mark May (1988) and Joe Jacoby (1983-86). Between Williams and Samuels, Redskins left tackles have been selected to 11 of the last 14 Pro Bowls.

Williams, 30, now in his ninth NFL season, is in his eighth season as an offensive captain for the Redskins and has been among the league’s top left tackles since being selected with the No. 4 overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft. He has played 118 career regular season games with the Redskins with 117 starts.

Kerrigan and Williams have now been selected to four Pro Bowls as teammates and the first pairing to reach four Pro Bowls together since Gary Clark and Darrell Green (1986-87, 1990-91). With the selections of Kerrigan and Williams this year, the Redskins have now had at least one Pro Bowl player for 25 straight seasons. The only year Washington has not had a Pro Bowler in the game’s history was 1993.

-REDSKINS-

Not sure if Trent Williams deserved it this year. Seems the players who made it made it on name. Would have loved Ionadis to get the nod or Jonathan Allen, but I can get why they didn't (the defense tailed off too much.)

Jordan Reed making it as an alternative makes no sense whatsoever. He was invisible this year. I can't think of a game he dominated.

Not sure if Trent should’ve been selected,not a great year for him.  Kerrigan is definitely deserving, and I feel he is a bit underrated across the league. Top three in the league in sacks since 2011 according to the CBS broadcast crew Sunday.  Great team player, just keeps his head down and performs at a high-level every year. Never seems to let the distractions bother him.

I agree with the post above about Trent Williams luckily making it.. I mean props to him I know he puts in the hard work I'm happy to see him going just not quite sure he deserved it... Happy for Kerrigan as well... Cannot believe the Idahoan linebacker with the cowpukes had 117 tackles on nine games.. that's very impressive.. I wish we could score like that on a linebacker early in the draft..

YAAA and how n theeee hell is way not in....that's wayyyy ****ed up??...lol

2 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

I agree with the post above about Trent Williams luckily making it.. I mean props to him I know he puts in the hard work I'm happy to see him going just not quite sure he deserved it... Happy for Kerrigan as well... Cannot believe the Idahoan linebacker with the cowpukes had 117 tackles on nine games.. that's very impressive.. I wish we could score like that on a linebacker early in the draft..

YAAA and how n theeee hell is way not in....that's wayyyy ****ed up??...lol

Ya so I laughed when they took Vander esch as it was proclaimed a reach by all. I hate the cowboys but that kid is a stud and impressive to watch. He really has it all and I hate that they got him but I can’t find myself really hating him like I do some other cowboys. Just seems like a good kid who plays the right way and is incredibly talented. 

3 hours ago, moondog said:

Kerrigan deserves it. Way should absolutely be in. Trent - I don’t know that he deserves it. D.J. probably deserves to be in but there are some good safeties. 

I would say DJs play slipped quite a bit the last 5 to 6 games.The first half of the season he was playing as well as anyone.

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

Not sure if Trent Williams deserved it this year. Seems the players who made it made it on name. Would have loved Ionadis to get the nod or Jonathan Allen, but I can get why they didn't (the defense tailed off too much.)

Jordan Reed making it as an alternative makes no sense whatsoever. He was invisible this year. I can't think of a game he dominated.

No Tress Way just tells you how the process is flawed...

Hopkins not in it either...

My nominations would have been DJ, Dunbar ( especially had he not gotten hurt), Ioannidis, and Way. And pick two from those names.. Kerrigan had a quiet early start to the year and I felt maybe he'd go as an alternate at best.. With Ioannidis, there definitely better guys ahead of him though on other teams, but I know GM's would love to have him on their team, and he's earned a big payday.. Trent made it on name alone if you ask me..

46 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

No Tress Way just tells you how the process is flawed...

Hopkins not in it either...

I am with you on this too. No way the Seahawks punter is better than Tress. Tress had way more than Dickson inside the 20 too. Dickson even had way more out of bounds and that made his returned yards looked good. Well at least we know Tress is way better anyways. Sad to see he didn't get recognized. :(

Punter
Rk Player Team Pos Punts Yds Net Yds Lng Avg Net Avg Blk OOB Dn IN 20 TB FC Ret RetY TD
1 Tress Way WAS P 72 3,250 2,965 63 45.1 41.2 0 3 17 39 0 23 29 285 1
2 Michael Dickson SEA P 68 3,325 3,007 69 48.9 44.2 0 12 11 26 4 10 31 238 0

The Pro Bowl is a joke. It is worthless and shouldn’t be a baramoter for anything. Jon Allen is the best player on our team. He is a MUCH better and more impactful player than Kerrigan at this point. Kerrigan makes it on name and sack totals; even though I’d say overall he’s having a pretty average year. I’d actually have put Preston Smith ahead of him. 

Allen and Way were the two guys that should have been absolute locks. I would have also considered Norman who gets dumped on here totally unfairly (kinda like DHall before him). And Trent deserves it too; he is still dominant despite battling all of his ailments. 

Overall, the Pro Bowl is ridiculous because you will have about 20-30 guys not on the team now that will fill in due to the Super Bowl teams, injury, and other guys just deciding to skip. It’s a complete waste of time. 

10 hours ago, Burgold said:

Not sure if Trent Williams deserved it this year. Seems the players who made it made it on name. Would have loved Ionadis to get the nod or Jonathan Allen, but I can get why they didn't (the defense tailed off too much.)

Excellent points, for me the Greek deserved it more than either of these guys and so does Allen.  Individually they both played super this year.

11 hours ago, Burgold said:

Not much has changed with the Pro Bowl voting, name recognition and reputation still counts.  

I'm very surprised Trent made it, he's been more of an above average/good player than pro bowl player this year.

He had several C to C- grades throughout the year, but congrats, the only reason he's slippin a bit is the injuries and maybe that's why the players continue to vote for him.

On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:57 PM, Burgold said:

Trent and Jordan riding their reputations a bit I think.

1 hour ago, Fat Stupid Loser said:

Trent and Jordan riding their reputations a bit I think.

TE is also terrible this year. In the NFC you have Kittle and Ertz and then.... somebody? OJ Howard probably would have been #3, but he's hurt. Greg Olsen has been hurt the entire here. Even Engram has either done nothing or gotten hurt. Reed was 4th in the NFC in TE yards behind Kittle, Ertz, and Howard when the teams were named. Jimmy Graham just passed Reed when Reed sat out last week, so Reed's down to 5th. But it's slim pickings.

On 12/18/2018 at 8:57 PM, Burgold said:

Reed being named an alternate is definitely a "name recognition" selection for sure.

Williams selection to the Pro Bowl kinda is too.

Surprised Way is an alternate, though I read how great a year the Seattle punter is having too.

Glad to see Kerrigan getting the consistent recognition he deserves.

Congrats to all.

15 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I saw a thing on Facebook the other day that at first made me laugh but then I actually think it would be a good idea.  At least better than the crap ProBowl played now.

Get rid of the Pro Bowl and have the two worst teams play instead.  Winner gets #1 draft pick.

That'd be kinda cool.

On 12/21/2018 at 3:46 PM, TheGreatBuzz said:

I saw a thing on Facebook the other day that at first made me laugh but then I actually think it would be a good idea.  At least better than the crap ProBowl played now.

Get rid of the Pro Bowl and have the two worst teams play instead.  Winner gets #1 draft pick.

The problem with that idea, I believe, is that it still wouldn't be much of a game.

Players that are already in the NFL don't care about draft picks. I can't see them breaking their necks so the team that employs them gets a better draft pick.

A team they may not even be on the next season.

Heck, that draft pick might be one to take their job, so I can't see much player enthusiasm about a set-up like that. :)

19 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

The problem with that idea, I believe, is that it still wouldn't be much of a game.

Players that are already in the NFL don't care about draft picks. I can't see them breaking their necks so the team that employs them gets a better draft pick.

A team they may not even be on the next season.

Heck, that draft pick might be one to take their job, so I can't see much player enthusiasm about a set-up like that. :)

Not saying it is perfect.  Just saying it is better than the probowl.

Archived