Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Retain Jay For 2019?

Veryoldschool

Jay should be retained for 2019 yes or no?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Jay should be retained for 2019 yes or no? Decide now, he stays or he goes.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/22/2018 at 10:28 PM

No. Giants games last straw for me.  He should never if out Mark out there for the giants game, he makes poor choices and doesn't learn from other ones that have finally negated what I like about him.  Don't be fooled by mediocrity being good just because we've been terrible, thafs how you end up with Marvin Lewis since the last ice age.

2 hours ago, SprintBomb said:

It does not matter who our head coach is. Nothing will change until we get a new GM who has a well thought out plan and direction for the roster. Considering everything (injuries, RG3, Cousins, player drama and attitudes) I think he has done well. The fact that we are 7-7 with the most injuries in the league is amazing. He would win more games coaching for a well run organization. I say he stays. History tells us a new coach won't make a difference. 

Totally agree. 7-7 with everything that’s happened is impressive.  He navigates the storm well. If we fire Gruden he’d be picked up in a minute by another team.  

Gm biggest issue... keep jay fire Bruce and get someone in here that can manage the team and little Danny....

new gm can pick a coach if he wants but truthfully I think we should be sniffing at Rex Ryan for d coordinator...  living in ny as a skins fan I saw this guys defenses look like hound dogs...  we do not look like hound dogs...

I have said for us to hire Kelly from Notre Dame who’s a great coach however if they keep Bruce Allen I’m not sure if I have any fight in me...

6 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Dead heat? I really did not see that coming. 

It’s Brexit all over again.

NOTE: this is not a comment on politics, a comment how the polling was suspect...

5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

No. Giants games last straw for me.  He should never if out Mark out there for the giants game, he makes poor choices and doesn't learn from other ones that have finally negated what I like about him.  Don't be fooled by mediocrity being good just because we've been terrible, thafs how you end up with Marvin Lewis since the last ice age.

Boy you’ve flipped.  Apparently losing out on that steak dinner really hit home...

5 hours ago, Hitman#21 said:

I've seen many people say "he doesn't go after the best assistants" this makes ZERO sense. He has Jim tomsula on the DL and Bill C on the OL. C'mon people.

He retained Haz, passed on better candidates to hire Joe Barry, then settled for Manusky.

Cdllahan is a good position coach but a bad run game coordinator.  Cavanaugh is pointless.  There really isn’t an OC and it shows.

The staff is “meh” at best. Tonsula is good. 

Jay hires people who he thinks fit well with his mediocre coaching approach. 

Just like Bruce hires people that fit with his mediocre GM approach.

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Boy you’ve flipped.  Apparently losing out on that steak dinner really hit home...

Technically I have more time left on the clock on that one.  However, unlike some people on this board, I'm fine with admitting that I'm either wrong or not right anymore (there is a difference). 

He may figure it out, but we were down 34-0 to a division opponent at halftime we beat in their house in a game that would've put us back in a tie for first place.  That's not an injury excuse, I watched them give up at the worst time possible, I watched him give up at the worst time possible.  It was so bad, I'm pretty sure the game plan for jaguars game was "don't get embarrassed again".

This a big picture argument about what's best for the franchise, not what's best for particular stances or pride.  That stadium was half-empty and half Giants fans with people leaving at halftime.  I like him, Jay is in the wrong place at the wrong time right now, franchise needs a drastic amount of change, I'd argue a rebranding.  GD, I just read an article on how one of our recent games a Cowboys game got higher ratings in the DC area.  This is bigger then Jay now.

No.

Jay will get you 10 wins max when and if the stars align, all before they break rank once more in the playoffs. I want to see what a new coach can do with this team once it's healthy again next year, rather than squander more years from the shelf life of core players on a known and undesired commodity.

43 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

No.

Jay will get you 10 wins max when and if the stars align, all before they break rank once more in the playoffs. I want to see what a new coach can do with this team once it's healthy again next year, rather than squander more years from the shelf life of core players on a known and undesired commodity.

The Redskins aren't doing anything for 3 or 4 years. It maybe 2021 or 2022 before the team posts a winning season again.

I honestly don't see how they can fire him after another season of devastating injuries and calls so bad that the refs may have cost his teams two games at least.  The Redskins are 7-7 and could very easily be 9-5.  Other than Jay Gruden, who else should get credit for having the record they have?

The real broken part of this team is its defense.  This is where changes need to be made (both coaching and player personnel).  Jay is a great offensive mind plus his coaching during games hasn't been as bad as in previous years.

Jay Gruden is not what ails the Redskins.  In fact, he may be the teams most indispensable part.  IMHO, he deserves one more year.  Without him, this team may truly fall off the proverbial cliff.  It wouldn't surprise me if they ended up with a top 5 draft pick next year.

3 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The Redskins aren't doing anything for 3 or 4 years. It maybe 2021 or 2022 before the team posts a winning season again.

Both the Rams and Eagles proved that untrue. When Chip Kelly left the Eagles were considered totally bereft of talent and two years later they won the Superbowl. Likewise, the Rams were considered a total joke before McVay got there.

It's not just the grocer. It's the chef.

The Redskins' problems are both in the kitchen and the refrigerator.

7 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

I honestly don't see how they can fire him after another season of devastating injuries and calls so bad that the refs may have cost his teams two games at least.  The Redskins are 7-7 and could very easily be 9-5.  Other than Jay Gruden, who else should get credit for having the record they have?

The real broken part of this team is its defense.  This is where changes need to be made (both coaching and player personnel).  Jay is a great offensive mind plus his coaching during games hasn't been as bad as in previous years.

Jay Gruden is not what ails the Redskins.  In fact, he may be the teams most indispensable part.  IMHO, he deserves one more year.  Without him, this team may truly fall off the proverbial cliff.  It wouldn't surprise me if they ended up with a top 5 draft pick next year.

What episode are you on? I am on episode 5, and this tv show sucks no matter how bad the actors are. Time to fire the producer and director/writer.

Jay is an ok OC, but as a head coach he’s worse. No reason to keep an ok OC around.

12 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Did this really need to be another thread? The answer for is no but we know he will be retained. Hell, Bruce may extend his contract.

I wanted a poll not necessarily a discussion thread but I think a new thread would be necessary to have a poll.  I am curious to see the final tally.

It cannot be stated enough that he can deal with Snyder. He can survive with most players on the IR. He can get a patch work team to win with a 4th QB and a 5th and 6th guard combo and people want to show him the door. He isn't perfect but show me one coach who is. The people that want him gone are the same types that always want to trade Kerrigan because he doesn't have 40 sacks a year and say that Trent Williams should be jettisoned for a 3rd rounder. And he does an adequate job with coordinators. I know people wish we had Phillips but the guy has a stacked defense in LA with the best player in the league on it yet it gets torched every week. Grass is not always greener.

14 minutes ago, fordranger76 said:

It cannot be stated enough that he can deal with Snyder. He can survive with most players on the IR. He can get a patch work team to win with a 4th QB and a 5th and 6th guard combo and people want to show him the door. He isn't perfect but show me one coach who is. The people that want him gone are the same types that always want to trade Kerrigan because he doesn't have 40 sacks a year and say that Trent Williams should be jettisoned for a 3rd rounder. And he does an adequate job with coordinators. I know people wish we had Phillips but the guy has a stacked defense in LA with the best player in the league on it yet it gets torched every week. Grass is not always greener.

My point is close to this.  He can deal with the zoo of that front office.  Sheehan and Finlay were talking yesterday about how Bruce meddles with Jay's coaching-roster decisions and does so a lot.  I love for example Bruce Arians but I don't think he'd work well here because he's a no nonsense guy and you got to deal with nonsense coaching here.

Jay has his flaws, I think he's a good coach and doesn't touch and never will greatness here or elsewhere -- if some want to say he's just average, I see that argument and it has some legs to it.  But you can easily land a coach who is below average or can't handle this team's craziness.   And if the post below is true -- what are the odds that we get the creme of the crop HC candidate in the off season?  There are too many better opportunities for people looking for good coaching possibilities.  Besides the Dan dynamic, you got an iffy QB and cap component too.  This isn't the dream job for a new HC prospect. 

I believe he will be back, unfortunately I think he should go.  I have tried hard to root for Jay and argued many times that solidarity at the HC Spot is a positive for any franchise.  (I still believe this). However, the lack of production/preparedness/innovation are the reasons there should be a change.  So many times I have watched this team play and wonder why we never take advantage of other teams weaknesses.  Jay believes so much in his system, it seems he refuses to break mold to attack another teams weak point for that particular week.  Hell, we don’t even make these adjustments at half time if the other team has either stopped our game plan or has shown a weakness in theirs.   

2 hours ago, fordranger76 said:

That is a broad generalization that doesn't help this discussion at all. 

We were on a 4 game losing streak heading into the jaguars game, three division games in a row.  Can you tell me we actual have more effort then any of our division opponents during that losing streak with the division lead on the line?  Beating one of the few teams with a QB situation as bad as ours is doesn't make up for that.

I like how somehow his ability to deal with a dysfunctional franchise is somehow a reason to keep him, like other good head coaches with zero front office power couldn't pull that off.  Is he really dealing or just getting the ass end of our front office decisions and not making a scene about it?  Fixing the culture and head of the front office wouldn't necessitate someone that can put up with this nonsense, now would it?

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I like how somehow his ability to deal with a dysfunctional franchise is somehow a reason to keep him, like other good head coaches with zero front office power couldn't pull that off. 

They haven't been able to pull that off here so far so what makes you think that will change somehow with a new coach? Who was able to thus far? The team since his tenure has been in the playoff hunt 3 out of 5 years.  The coach has to deal with Snyder as an owner and Allen as a GM who many on this board believe to be the whole reason for the dysfunction. Back to back seasons the team has been riddled with injuries that would cripple even the most skilled coaching minds. Even with this he has his team on the brink of a playoff spot. The team has not performed well over the last few weeks but I ask you what coach currently would be able to handle that situation effectively? Is there one? So yes it certainly does matter in regards to his ability to be able to work with both Allen and Snyder in regards to retention.

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

Its' interesting how quickly we want to run the best coach since Gibbs II out of town this team has had.

That being said, I think Gruden would be best in the NFL as an OC, with a more disciplined, better game manager as the HC.  Obviously that won't happen here, but the grass is not always greener. 

My vision of the best OC in the NFL is someone who is good at calling offensive plays.

Archived