Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The One & Only Josh Johnson Jubilation Jamboree thread

TK

12 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Did any one of his ok every team  ever try to feature him the way Baltimore is with Lamar, or we did with RG3? Or was he to be cut from the pocket passer mold, as the only option? As per had been OCs mandate league wide for decades, even when it repeatedly cost them their jobs.

Looking at when he came into the league, Cam Newton was the closest to him in terms of a coach clearly tailoring their playbook to the QBs skill set, and that wasnt until 3 or 4 years after Josh's first year.  I believe Cam was the first modern day mobile QB whose OC clearly embraced a skill set that didn't match his preferred pocket passer playbook. 

You know where I am going. The guy may be able to win games for us, when basically all of us wrote off the season. The playoff scenarios I see watching real games with real fans in attendance, still show us in the hunt.

MEMO TO JAY: Do not try to use him the way all his former teams did, where he clearly failed miserably.

Unfortunately...Jay seems to be the last coach on the planet that would alter his game plan to fit the talent of the player. 

Just now, dballer said:

Unfortunately...Jay seems to be the last coach on the planet that would alter his game plan to fit the talent of the player. 

Jay does seem a bit stiff ;)

But I was encouraged by Josh's very first play for us, a QB run play.  Heh it was probably a broken play and he just took off. But Jay needs to get out of the way, and let Josh try to win us games. 

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

But I was encouraged by Josh's very first play for us, a QB run play.  Heh it was probably a broken play and he just took off. But Jay needs to get out of the way, and let Josh try to win us games. 

Yeh i was being a little cynical there...realistically there is some good RPO and bootleg stuff that Jay does that could really utilize Josh's skills. I wholeheartedly expect us to be able to run the ball better than we have been. Who knows how many turnovers we have. But i wouldn't be shocked to see some flashes of a dynamic offense, however fleeting they are.

15 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Funny thing is that there are several examples of QBs (especially running QBs) saving a coach's tenure or just making a coach look good because the crappy play that was called gets thrown out and they are running for their life and it quickly goes to a game of pitch and catch. I think about Doug Flutie in this scenario. He's another story who was older when he finally got his chance and took about a 5-10 year hiatus between starts in the NFL (he did manage to win a few CFL championships while waiting for his chance though).

Question about Johnson is though, how well can he play when the defense plays contain and tries to make him a pocket passer, or even worse, what will Jay say when Johnson starts looking like RG3 in terms of sack numbers? The just about only time I remember Jay going off on a player was RG3. I hope he's simply learned from that but with Johnson I wonder if there is any similarity. 

But in all honesty I just hope Johnson doesn't embarrass us this week. We've had enough to be embarrassed about this week, let alone this year. I just want to be able to wear my cap to work without the snickering and talking behind my back about whatever the new running joke is. The Dan stuff I can take, but the constant waterfall we've had lately has just been almost too much. Is it bad that I really WANT to talk more about the Wizards than the Redskins at work?

The notion that Johnson can be a saviour in any capacity is sad in itself.

I hope the guy is enjoying his time back in the league. Good luck to him. I still hope we lose out from here.

I would also be amazed if he actually survived this full game. He's going to get nailed from the get go.

The more I think about it the more I think we should have gone straight to Josh after Alex got hurt. The "if you are on the 3rd QB the season is toast" argument implies the 3rd QB wont be able to run the standard offense. In hindsight having our 3rd QB be mobile  makes sense to me.  The OL injuries we have points to going mobile even more.  Not start him above Colt of course. But have him at the ready.

Good stuff  @Thinking Skins  but I am not sold that mobile QBs can effectively be contained. Lamar is still running rampant. I think plays that simulate a preferred pocket passer is going to stay home and pass, are easy to run fakes out of. In the end, the defense can only commit a shadow on him.  Spread it out, go shotgun, and go from there.  Go pistol, and shock the world and try Perine and steal a page from Baltimore's effective playbook. Folks may not remember but Perine was most effective in college running from pistol, something we haven't let him do here. Outside of this monster run AP hasn't been effective for 6 weeks. With a 90 run still couldnt get 100 yards. CT looks tender and I don't want him lugging ANY mail.  Marshall meh.

Memo 2 to Jay. Do not bunch up everyone in the box and expect Josh to save our season.  COPY plays from Baltimore. Have no shame. Its a copy cat league. DO IT!

On 12/14/2018 at 9:06 AM, dballer said:

Yeh i was being a little cynical there...realistically there is some good RPO and bootleg stuff that Jay does that could really utilize Josh's skills. 

If I trusted...nevermind. I was gonna make a snarky RGIII reference, but am thinking better of it. 

I'm already gonna be buried in my 10 Elite... Yeah, that ****'s in my will. Named a female kitty RG.

Hopeful I am. Always. Hail. 

36 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Bibbs got waived heh.  Maybe Josh + Perine = Lamar + Edwards.  Heh I am sure he will be inactive but I do want Jay to copy the plays from teams with successful mobile QBs now. Vs dusting off RG3s old plays.

Not sure Josh is that type of runner. Seems to be more of an upright straight line type runner. He’s a slower RG3 type, from what I’ve gatherd in my 9min of YouTube watching and last week lol. Meaning, I don’t think he’s making the first guy miss on consistently on designed runs, but if teams give the edge on mesh style runs he can exploit. 

Im with you, just not to level of Ravens lol. Though, I’m a supporter of that style with Jackson, because of how special Jackson is and how the Ravens are built (Big Tes, Bulldozing RBs). I hope this style of offense gains some steam and we see 5-7 teams begin using this style, just to have some variety on offense and not allll finesse on offense. 

I can't believe people are getting excited even a little bit here. This guy is going to get eaten alive by the Jags. They're disappointing this year but have athleticism all over their D, and they'll know that the only hope we have is taking advantage of Johnson's running ability. They'll key on it, and we won't have the answer in his arm or our receivers imo. This guy was not in the NFL for a reason, he can run a little bit but so could Pat White. I don't think his running ability (aka his only positive NFL attribute) is going to catch anyone off guard. 

It's a feel good story, and I'm really happy for Johnson. The kid is getting to live out a dream. If things don't work out as a backup for the Skins, maybe (hopefully) he'll be picked up by another squad and given a chance moving forward for next season. The Jags have been stinking it up on offense, but that D is pretty good, and I'm sure they're gonna throw a lot of things at Johnson to try to rattle him and, in a not-so-difficult task, to try to rattle our HC and his offensive play-calling (pun intended).

9 hours ago, wit33 said:

Not sure Josh is that type of runner. Seems to be more of an upright straight line type runner. He’s a slower RG3 type, from what I’ve gatherd in my 9min of YouTube watching and last week lol. Meaning, I don’t think he’s making the first guy miss on consistently on designed runs, but if teams give the edge on mesh style runs he can exploit. 

Im with you, just not to level of Ravens lol. Though, I’m a supporter of that style with Jackson, because of how special Jackson is and how the Ravens are built (Big Tes, Bulldozing RBs). I hope this style of offense gains some steam and we see 5-7 teams begin using this style, just to have some variety on offense and not allll finesse on offense. 

Agree he is not that type of runner, but running is an angle of attack that our offense needs about now.  Our offense has gone flat and he provides more mobility at a time that our OL has probably never been in greater shambles.

I think Jay needs to use his legs, and not once again see why he failed to become a pocket passer in any of his 12 stops. And for the love of the game, keep it simple with the play calling. But perhaps more importantly, do the unexpected. Pass in run downs, and vice versa, and command that Manusky unleash the defense, for better or for worse.

About the Jags going to eat him alive?  They counter with Cody ****in' Kessler. One could reasonably argue he will get eaten alive, if we can just contain Fournette.  Their vaunted D wasn't quite as vaunted after all, just like ours.

So I donned the googles which did nothing.  But Josh ran 307 times in college for 1864 - a 6+ yard average.  Naturally his wiki page focuses on his passing stats with nary a mention about anything else.  And his freshman year rush stats.... are odd. Anyways.

In the pros he has run for 10+ times in a season, just 2 times.  22 and 11. Sure he has barely played, but I think its telling no coach embraced using his legs to win games. He was to be a pocket passer or bust - same **** different decade.  Only, did he look slow and immobile to you?

Not to me.  Yes, he is not a dynamic game breaking runner but he certainly looked much better than Alex and Colt and his legs provided a spark and think he can help more than hurt. 

All in Skins + Over. If Jay fights the urge to you know what.

11 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I can't believe people are getting excited even a little bit here. This guy is going to get eaten alive by the Jags. They're disappointing this year but have athleticism all over their D, and they'll know that the only hope we have is taking advantage of Johnson's running ability. They'll key on it, and we won't have the answer in his arm or our receivers imo. This guy was not in the NFL for a reason, he can run a little bit but so could Pat White. I don't think his running ability (aka his only positive NFL attribute) is going to catch anyone off guard. 

Whatever happened to 'wait and see, and hope for the best'?...Now we must reach conclusions instantly and not even consider any other possibilities?

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Whatever happened to 'wait and see, and hope for the best'?...Now we must reach conclusions instantly and not even consider any other possibilities?

What? This forum all of a sudden isn't a place to discuss and debate what we think will happen? Including expressing disbelief or criticizing what others think will happen, while making a case for what we think is obvious?

You're allowed your hope and koolaid and I'm allowed to make fun of it. That's how this place has always turned. 

3 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

What? This forum all of a sudden isn't a place to discuss and debate what we think will happen? Including expressing disbelief or criticizing what others think will happen, while making a case for what we think is obvious?

You're allowed your hope and koolaid and I'm allowed to make fun of it. That's how this place has always turned. 

Always thought that was a place to vent, rant and whine...

25 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Oh come on guys.  I am proud of Josh Johnson too, but no.....just no.

I’m proud of him too and would LOVE for him to have a good week of practice and beat the titans. But yeah realistically i know that won’t happen. Today was just us sucking less than the jaguars, who really suck this season. 

I’ll still be cheering for a miracle playoff push though :) even though i know it won’t happen. 

But hey, someone’s gotta be positive around here during tough times right? 😂😂

Archived