Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Morning After thread

RichmondRedskin88

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

Why is nobody talking about this missed false start on the Eagles first touchdown?  The one that happened in the Chargers/Steelers game was headlining shows.

Some of the local beat reporters talked about it. I believe there's one article in BHRBN from PFT that talks about it.

So it wasn't unnoticed.

1 hour ago, Unbias said:

Allen - We hate him, but I honestly think Snyder loves him. In all these horrible moves we default to blaming Allen, when truthfully he's just a meat shield for Snyder's meddling. 

I don't think Snyder loves him that much.

Even @TK mentioned him as being away from most football duties lately.

Minority owners aren't pleased with him as well.

And that Reuben Foster' debacle has definately not helped is case. As well as Smith's contract (don't use this to turn this thread into a Smith's thread please!).

There were some reports last offseason that changes were in the waiting regarding the FO. LaFemina, and the other guys that have been signed are pointing to showing Bruce Allen the door. With what is going on lately, and the fact that, let's face it, even if we are technically alive, there's almost 0 chances we can survive the rash off injuries we are facing on O. O wasn't good at best early in the season, now it will be inexistant. And you can't ask D to do everything by itself. The Eagles had nearly twice our ToP on monday. You bet the D will get worned out quickly.

Our season will end on Week 17, we'd be lucky to reach 8-8, even 7-9.

There will be changes made at the end of the season. 

I'm pretty sure Allen will be out. Gruden most likely. Maybe not early. Depends if they get another option at HC or not. He's guaranteed for next year, so I believe you may keep him if you don't have anything better. But if you do. He's out. And if he's not, I'd expect changes in the OC, Cavanaugh maybe, Manusky is not safed. Let's give opportunities to guys like O'Connell, or Wes Philips for the O, and Gray for the D. That could make it interesting.

8 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm pretty sure Allen will be out. Gruden most likely. Maybe not early. Depends if they get another option at HC or not. He's guaranteed for next year, so I believe you may keep him if you don't have anything better. But if you do. He's out. And if he's not, I'd expect changes in the OC, Cavanaugh maybe, Manusky is not safed. Let's give opportunities to guys like O'Connell, or Wes Philips for the O, and Gray for the D. That could make it interesting.

We cannot let anyone other than the new GM get to choose the next HC. The HC then gets to hire his staff. 

You know - like normal teams do.

20 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Some of the local beat reporters talked about it. I believe there's one article in BHRBN from PFT that talks about it.

So it wasn't unnoticed.

Oh okay.  I listened to 106.7 from 6:15am to 2pm and didn't hear one mention of it.

10 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

We cannot let anyone other than the new GM get to choose the next HC. The HC then gets to hire his staff. 

You know - like normal teams do.

Yeah sure. 100% Agree.

But allowing the next GM to choose his HC also gives him the possibility to keep Gruden or not.

You don't want some stupid PR move like firing Gruden, then sign him back.

What most people don't get here, is that in fact, if you hire a GM, a real one, then his first job is to either keep Gruden, or fire him. Because you expect a GM to be able to fire a HC if it doesn't work.

So you fire Allen, you get a new TP, a new GM.

Then, the GM decides Gruden's fate.

8 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I don't think Snyder loves him that much.

Here's one issue I have with Dan firing Bruce Allen - What would we do with the opening? 

Have we reached that point where we are saying 'anyone is better than Allen?'. If so, then yes we should move on. If not, then I'd honestly say things can be worse. Compare Allen to Cerrato. People forget just how horrible Vinny was. 

I'm being serious and when you are contemplating the question I'd reference Vinny's Wiki which states "Vinny Cerrato is the former Executive Vice President for Football Operations for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League and actor in the feature film Kindergarten Ninja.".

giphy.gif

Before hiring Vinny we had Charley Casserly as our GM. Charley is widely respected as an analyst and has made bold moves like taking Mario Williams over Reggie Bush (which many feel was the right move). Dan moved from Charley to Vinny...

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c06f75f4173687259

Once again, if we genuinely feel 'anyone is better', then so be it, but if we have even the slightest thought that we could do worse, then I'd say let's hold off a season for the full house cleaning. Personally I feel if there is one owner that could do worse than Bruce Allen it would be Snyder. He'd probably hire someone who has a diverse background in being a clown or maybe hire someone only to find out there's a pending legal investigation against them.  

I'm not going to kill Gruden for anything that happened after McCoy was injured, though I don't think play calling with Sanchez did him any favors.  Not sure if that was all Kevin O'Connell or Jay at this point anyway.

However, for the second week in a row, on the road against a division rival, the defense started out by giving up a long TD drive, and the offense started out by doing a whole lot of nothing. For those playing along at home, the Eagles ranked LAST in the NFL in 1st quarter scoring, at (I believe) 21 points.  The fix for that was clearly to play the Redskins. 

I can forgive some of the struggles on offense due to injuries, especially when you have butt fumble playing QB. 

However, the defense is just absolutely poorly coached and schemed. Even Gruden took a veiled shot at the defense, saying that the 450 yards with the players they have is unacceptable.  OH LOOK! The Eagles just ran another screen for 35 yards!

I have many complaints about Gruden, but I think my #1 complaint is that he just doesn't hire the best people available, he hires people he's comfortable with.  And when those people fail over and over, he keeps giving them chance after chance. Keeping Haz was ridiculous.  Barry was hired with the single worst DC resume of all time.  And then after a long search, they promote Manusky, who was part of the staff that couldn't shoot straight.

I have no idea what Dan is going to do.  I kinda get the feeling that he's going to do something, because there's only so long he can hold his water with an average to bad team and no juice around the team at all, half empty stadiums, etc.  He has to know at this point who public enemy #1 is, (at least other than himself).  He might consider whacking Bruce a sacrificial lamb, but he might not have much of a choice at this point.

Jay might stay, might go, not sure.  But I think Bruce has to go at this point if it's just to appease the fan base a little. 

3 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Oh okay.  I listened to 106.7 from 6:15am to 2pm and didn't hear one mention of it.

I've read it.

But besides that, there wasn't much noise about it... Not sure the NFL will apologizes for this.

3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I have many complaints about Gruden, but I think my #1 complaint is that he just doesn't hire the best people available, he hires people he's comfortable with.

I'd say yes and no. After all he went with McVay.

Maybe it was a case of the best people available was also comfortable with him. Don't know. But yeah Cavanaugh brings nothing to the table. Callahan is useless to the running game... That's politics within coaching staff, and I'm not a big fan...

1 minute ago, Unbias said:

Here's one issue I have with Dan firing Bruce Allen - What would we do with the opening? 

1. Promote Kyle Smith to GM, and give him personnel control.

2. Promote Lafamina to President.  Outside blood that's already in the organization.

3. Thank Doug for all of his services, but not necessary any more.  (This is tough, I like Doug, and I give him more credit than others.  But it's a position you can't have.  Kyle Smith needs to be the one with the responsibility and the accountability. 

I think the 2019 'Skins are going to suck regardless next year because they have $20 million tied up in a player who might not even be on the active roster.  I'm assuming Colt can recover from the broken leg by summer, so he's probably the defacto starter.  

Given that, you might as well bring Jay back and go 6-10 or 7-9.  I would demand he hire a better DC and turn over play calling to somebody else. 

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Given that, you might as well bring Jay back and go 6-10 or 7-9.  I would demand he hire a better DC and turn over play calling to somebody else. 

If you bring back Jay I think you keep Manusky. Gruden is not going to be able to attract any viable defensive coordinators and Jay has chosen he can't pick one anyway. I think everyone around the NFL thinks that Jay is a goner or a lame duck. No one with bright prospects is going to want to attach themselves to that. Therefore, let Jay flounder with his hand-picked staff. If the 'skins go 4-12 it's better than if they go 7-9. If Gruden somehow wrights the ship and we get ten wins and a playoff win then he'll have proved all the doubters wrong.

This is the ship that Jay built. Jay and all his Tampa buddies.

25 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I'd say yes and no. After all he went with McVay.

Maybe it was a case of the best people available was also comfortable with him. Don't know. But yeah Cavanaugh brings nothing to the table. Callahan is useless to the running game... That's politics within coaching staff, and I'm not a big fan...

Yeah, that's fair.  As far as I can tell, McVay is the shining start in that group, and there aren't a lot of others.  Also, McVay was OC for a year before Jay gave him play-calling responsibilities. 

I do like whatshisname who's the DL coach. (I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look it up.)  There are a few good ones, but a lot of them are "meh."

And after last year's disappointment, they made exactly zero changes to the staff. 

If Bruce, Jay, Callahan, Cavanaugh and Manusky all come back, it's a lost season before it even starts.

Jay COULD BE a better head coach if he wasn't the play caller and he hired a better DC.  He's good at scheming up a pass offense. I don't think he's great at managing the staff, calling the game, or managing the game.  If he did less things, he could probably be better at them. 

Here's the thing, we've heard multiple times that Callahan schemes up, and even calls, some of the run plays.  Kevin O'Connell is technically the passing game coordinator, though I'm sure Jay has a hand in that as well.  Jay is the play caller.  I have no earthly idea what Cavanaugh does as OC. 

The problem is THERE IS NOBODY IN CHARGE!!!!!! It doesn't take somebody with a PhD in organizational management to tell you that setup just isn't going to work.  And that is ENTIRELY on Jay Gruden.  He's the head coach.  It's his job to pick the staff, assign roles, and manage them.  He's set up a completely ridiculous structure that by itself creates almost no chance of success. 

It's all good to have a number of people factoring into the game plan, but at the end of the day, it's got to be the Coordinator's baby, and he's got to call the plays.

Its' just ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If you bring back Jay I think you keep Manusky. Gruden is not going to be able to attract any viable defensive coordinators and Jay has chosen he can't pick one anyway. I think everyone around the NFL thinks that Jay is a goner or a lame duck. No one with bright prospects is going to want to attach themselves to that. Therefore, let Jay flounder with his hand-picked staff. If the 'skins go 4-12 it's better than if they go 7-9. If Gruden somehow wrights the ship and we get ten wins and a playoff win then he'll have proved all the doubters wrong.

This is the ship that Jay built. Jay and all his Tampa buddies.

I disagree.  I think they could attract a top DC with the talent they have on defense, especially if they committed to going out and signing a few impact defensive starters. 

It would be harder to find a quality HC to come here with the QB situation in complete disarray. 

I actually have a name for you for DC.  And it would be somewhat spicy, a little controversial, and put a little juice into the organization: Rex Ryan.  It might end up as a complete catastrophe.  But it would be interesting along the way. 

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole as a HC.  But as a DC?  He's always coached up good defenses.  And he would have the big personality that Jay lacks. 

I don't know if he'd take a DC job, but it would be worth a phone call.

Nah, what great prospect is going to sign on for a one year gig that almost certainly ends in their termination? I do agree the defensive talent is the most enticing part of this team.

Now, if we let Jay go... that's what you sell. You find the best defensive mind ready to be an NFL head coach you can and pitch 'em hard on the defensive talent. I still think that's a tough, tough sell for a top candidate especially considering all the other baggage that comes historically with the Redskins, but that would be the best shot.

From my understanding the 'Skins are under the thumb of Alex Smith's contract in 2019, after next season they can make a almost clean break.  I think you ride 2019 with Smith or McCoy (assuming one or both are back). 

Draft as your normally would, trying to get the best players available, and then after 2019 is when the true house cleaning needs to happen, assuming that is what they intend to do. 

However if a rebuild is in order, it needs to be legitimate.  Coach gone, GM gone. The team is going to be bad for a couple of seasons but they will have the freedom and resources to truly build from the ground up.  Only players off limits are Payne & Allen, maybe Ionnadis too.  That doesn't mean you get rid of everyone else, just that they are on the table for trades, releases, lessening their pay, or whatever it takes for the betterment of the franchise long term.

I’m just plain pissed about the game.  I’m usually over it to some extent, but I have had the worst day, and a win last night would have helped.

I hope Gruden and staff are gone at the end of the season.  Listening to Gruden’s stupid presser last night was migraine inducing.

7 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Gruden does not know how to make any kind of adjustments whatsoever, whether in-game or at the half. Just as bad, we had nearly two full weeks to prepare for this game, and he did nothing to attack the Eagles' biggest weakness (that secondary). Don't get me started on Gruden's offensive game plan (literally and figuratively). We should have screened and slanted the Eagles to death, with heavy doses of AP running and AP + Thompson catching it out of the flat. Play-action worked early on, and certainly after that long run by AP. Why on God's green earth are we running CT up the middle after the dude just came back from rib injuries. He's not George Rogers or Riggo. On the other side of the ball, that defense has talent, but Manusky has essentially been figured out. It's not bend-but-don't break. It's march-down-the-field-because-we-can't-stop-em. The end zone provides a shortened field that gives the D an advantage. From the 20 to the 20, we stink, especially with LB coverage. Did I actually see Kerrigan on Ertz?

Last night hammered home an important point: When your O-line has had problems staying healthy, and verbal support for your backup QB always comes with the proviso "if he can stay healthy", you simply DON"T go into the season carrying just 2 QBs on the roster. It's just plain dumb. Maybe Gruden was holding a roster spot open in case Ryan Grant wanted to come back.

Swearinger is a competitor and the guy is obviously pained when we lose, and especially when, in his own words, the team can't even do the simple "stuff" right. We don't get any further with Gruden at the helm than he's already taken us; that's clear. And there is no way in hell George Allen's son should be involved in any way with the selection of the next coach. Injuries are no excuse, either. It's been a consistent, unacceptable combination of ill-prepared teams, lack of adjustment, poor decision-making (Joe Barry, give me a break!), and awful playcalling when we actually have some well-designed angles of attack in that playbook. Gruden can design an offense, but is terrible at knowing how and when to exploit advantages. Clean house.

wasnt it swearinger not doing the simple things last night too?

I would say 99% of you that talk about this rebuild process nonsense have no stomach for it. I cant imagine the fan base after 3 seasons of 3 to 6 wins and completely stinking up the joint and even then in the best case scenario there is no guarantee you come out of it better on the other end with injuries and draft/free agent misses. You dont need to blow it up folks were 6-4 even with a lot of injuries. Yes the princess of darkness and Gruden  have to go!

Hire a new coach, get a good defensive staff in here because thats where are talent is, resign AP to go with Guice and Alex Smith and we are in playoff contention.

As bad as Gruden has been his biggest mistake was hiring Barry then sticking with Greg from his staff...Gruden makes a lot mind boggling decisions. Just not a good HC

1 hour ago, Gibbs828791 said:

I cant imagine the fan base after 3 seasons of 3 to 6 wins

It doesn't take three seasons to rebuild in this NFL.  Unless you have morons running the show, in which case you could have 20 seasons of rebuilding and still be losers.

12 hours ago, mammajamma said:

Theyre not going to do anything while theyre still technically in the playoff race. Something has got to give at the end of the year though. Probably not Gruden yet though. They still owe him too much $

Gruden is signed for 2 more years, I think. 

I say no change happens unless Dan can lure a big name. If he can't lure a big name, he will keep Gruden. He may fire Bruce and just promote from within.

50 minutes ago, ClaytoAli said:

ha ha - r/Redskins have blocked ESPN on Reddit after RFoster comments.

That will show em.... 

Consider this whole Foster controversy dealt with. I'm hoping Snyder personally clicked 'OK' on the block button...

14 hours ago, Gibbs828791 said:

I would say 99% of you that talk about this rebuild process nonsense have no stomach for it. I cant imagine the fan base after 3 seasons of 3 to 6 wins and completely stinking up the joint and even then in the best case scenario there is no guarantee you come out of it better on the other end with injuries and draft/free agent misses. You dont need to blow it up folks were 6-4 even with a lot of injuries. Yes the princess of darkness and Gruden  have to go!

Hire a new coach, get a good defensive staff in here because thats where are talent is, resign AP to go with Guice and Alex Smith and we are in playoff contention.

As bad as Gruden has been his biggest mistake was hiring Barry then sticking with Greg from his staff...Gruden makes a lot mind boggling decisions. Just not a good HC

I think it depends...

If it's a true rebuild where a young QB is growing up with young skill players and a young OL while our current core group of DL and some young LBs are gelling, then I think you're wrong. 

If it's a mish-mash of Ryan Kerrigan and Trent Williams and Colt McCoy but some younger players mixed in, then I think you're 100% correct. 

Archived