Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

[TWITTER: Keim] League told Redskins there should have been a PI on Josh Doctson

LMFAO Alex Smith

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

If you see the replay from the backside of the play, right where the back judge is standing? It's obvious.  #25 straight up runs into Doctson impeding his route.  The safety over the top, you could probably make a small argument he was at least going for the ball, but #25, there is zero argument he didn't blatantly interfere.   The replay is posted in a few threads.

Iirc... seemed that the over the top got there b4 the ball...you can go for the ball but you still can’t touch the wr....either way it was SO blatant that there was contact b4 the bal by someone that it’s incredulous...and effects the whole season

Here’s my take...: I can actually live with the no call on Doc. Live I thought it was 50/50; replay he got there early and I’m fine with League owning up to the missed call. But my feeling is that calls are probably missed on each play... that’s just sort of the nature of having humans officiate games. 

My much bugger issue is with that calls that ARE made that shouldn’t be. I think at the end of the day we can all agree that we can live with letting the players decide outcomes as live as it’s consistent. I’d prefer the refs err on the side of NOT calling 50/50 penalties even if it means they miss some. What I can’t live with is the random phantom calls like the one on Norman. That’s a ref throwing a flag in a crucial moment for

literally no reason. Just seeing something that isn’t there. 

My proposal would be to allow the booth to review all penalties or non calls the last 5:00

of the game or something like that— similar to what NBA does in last 2:00. Or perhaps allowing 1-2 coach challenges per game specific to penalties. 

There are some great refs in the league, but the screw-ups really do make the whole group look bad. And it's rotting from the top. That exodus of veteran refs you've seen is a direct function of not wanting to work under Al Riveron in any way whatsoever. All those guys agreed among themselves that no one would apply for the Sr. VP of Officiating gig. Riveron did it anyway. And he's TERRIBLE. right down there with Triplette, who gave a real stinker of a performance (true to form, of course) in his last outing before retirement.  And that shootout in LA Monday night.....the league yanked Jerome and replaced him with what will probably be a conference championship crew (it did include some of his guys). The league knows that the quality of officiating is deteriorating, and it's going downhill fast. They're trying to correct it. Riveron will not be back in his current role next season.

As for us, I've said it before and I'll say it again -- Gruden needs to go ballistic on that sideline. Sometimes you need to make a point. One of Haslett's teammates (and a very close friend) was the BJ on that crew from Sunday. I'll leave it at that. Anyway, after the third holding call on Moses Thursday night, Gruden should blow a gasket. Players respond when you stick up for 'em like that. His snide remarks about the officiating in post-game pressers are a lame as the league's "oh we blew it" acknowledgements days after a game.

4 hours ago, oraphus said:

what i dont like about Doctson is he never begs for a flag.. he just kind of walked off.. like "oh shucks, oh well" he should have started flipping out.. that **** work on the idiot reffs.

I thought about that, but think time didn't allow for it. He had to hustle back for the next play or get off the field for the FG unit.  I do think selling it is much more effective fighting through the interference, and yelling / throwing the arms up. But he kept on tracking and still almost caught it.  He was mugged so badly, yelling was his only hope on the sell job, short of abandoning still trying to catch it. Damned if we do damned if we dont on that one. 

That was akin to a hail mary, where PIs happen every time and never get called. I think that's why it wasn't called... the refs were in half hail mary mode themselves, stunned we went deep and weren't quite ready to stay in call PI mode. 

Jay/the sideline needs to work the refs for his players as well. Josh hasn't earned the respect of the leagues officials yet, but Jay should by now. After the Josh Norman call, Jay should have been in all their ears, and the groundwork for the PI call, already laid out.

3 hours ago, kleese said:

My proposal would be to allow the booth to review all penalties or non calls the last 5:00

of the game or something like that— similar to what NBA does in last 2:00. Or perhaps allowing 1-2 coach challenges per game specific to penalties. 

Any penalty of 15 yards or more.  Id even be open to holding but i feel like that will become similar to offsides was in hockey... coaches used to challenge offsides on every important goal... just to see.  Now you can challenge it but if youre wrong its a penalty.... do the same for holding.  If its blatantly missed resulting in the direct outcome of the play... overturn it. 

Coincidentally I came across this article shortly after coming across this thread.

If the thread and tweet from Keim, has you concerned about officiating, this won't make you feel any better.

PFT : Cowboys’ opponents haven’t had holding penalty on pass play since Week 2

The Cowboys rank seventh in the NFL in sacks per pass play, and somehow their pass rushers aren’t getting held. Or more accurately, they are not getting caught.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/20/cowboys-opponents-havent-had-holding-penalty-on-pass-play-since-week-2/

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Coincidentally I came across this article shortly after coming across this thread.

If the thread and tweet from Keim, has you concerned about officiating, this won't make you feel any better.

PFT : Cowboys’ opponents haven’t had holding penalty on pass play since Week 2

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/11/20/cowboys-opponents-havent-had-holding-penalty-on-pass-play-since-week-2/

The wording here is horrendous. 

The Cowboys rank seventh in the NFL in sacks per pass play, and somehow their pass rushers aren’t getting held. Or more accurately, they are not getting caught.

Makes it sound like the Cowboy DL isn't getting held.

17 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

If you see the replay from the backside of the play, right where the back judge is standing? It's obvious.  #25 straight up runs into Doctson impeding his route.  The safety over the top, you could probably make a small argument he was at least going for the ball, but #25, there is zero argument he didn't blatantly interfere.   The replay is posted in a few threads.

The guy who ran into Doctson literally spun him around before the ball arrived. It was so ludicrously blatant. And that's not even taking into account the Safety who came flying in over top of him and contacted him as well, before the ball got there. You might be able to make the case that he was going for the ball but it would be a pretty thin case IMO. If that were called as it should have been we would have won. Chip shot FG with 10 seconds left on the clock.

5 minutes ago, BornToHail said:

I don't believe, as a defender, you can go through a receiver to get to the ball.

As for officiating, it's the human element to sport. It sucks and I wish it'd be a little more fair, but it's part of the game. 

Incidental contact by a defender playing the ball is different than that picture where reid is going over the top and the db is preventing doctson from maintaining his route to the ball

Just now, OVCChairman said:

Incidental contact by a defender playing the ball is different than that picture where reid is going over the top and the db is preventing doctson from maintaining his route to the ball

I agree with you. I think Reid (the safety) is trying to go above Doctson to get the ball, but in reality is going through him, preventing him from catching it. That's not even taking into account the other DB who spun Doctson around.

I don't have a problem with officiating being bad (because it usually is bad). I do have an issue with the lack of consistency.

If they are going to call a ticky tacky foul on Norman a few plays prior, then they should have been consistent and make the call against Doctson. 

That looks like the ole Malachi Crunch

2718817256_5f9e91ee9c_z.jpg?zz=1

The league owes us a call and I think we will get one early on vs Dallas.  They will gift us a first down. We can make it real easy for the league, and go deep on the first play, and get it over with.

But Dallas of course in turn gets the makeup call on the very next play. Book it.

Frankly, they didn't have to tell me what I and anyone who saw the play already knew.  The question isn't if it occurred or not.  The question is why wasn't it called on either DB?  

We need an explanation from the refs themselves!!!!!  Please tell us why none of you chose to throw your flag on an obvious PI. 

I'll wait!!!!!😠

3 minutes ago, cakmoney61 said:

We need an explanation from the refs themselves!!!!!  Please tell us why none of you chose to throw your flag on an obvious PI. 

I'll wait!!!!!😠

I think the head linesman should face the media after every game the same way coaches and players have to

Archived