Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

Colt will be the starter next season and there's not going to be any FAs out there worthy of signing, not that we may be able to in the first place.

What they should do is focus on getting other pieces in place, ESPECIALLY at WR o-line and LB. These are the most critical places, because if we do not upgrade in these places no QB will be able to have success here.

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

more of a hypothetical and you have to excuse my naïveté:

Mathew Stafford and for Jason Reed and a first rounder.  How would that cap work? 

-Dan

Not sure about the cap but I don't think that's a good idea. He hasn't won a meaningful game as a starting QB in the NFL. He needs talent around him to win. He won't win games by himself. Not sure how that helps the skins out. Plus he might only have a couple more years on that extension. So he will cost even more. 

23 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Honestly, what I would do? 

Fire Gruden and Allen, cut Smith

and Norman, and take the entire cap hit in 2019. I’d also look to trade Trent, Reed and CT.  

Draft as well as possible, but sign virtually no FAs, with the expectation that 2019 is a lose for picks type year.

Then draft a QB in 2020 and start building.

This team is stuck in Grudallen middle-of-the-pack suckdom, and in order to build a true champioship calibre roster, you need to jettison some pieces.

Build around Allen, Payne and the DL and young defensive players.  

For a competent FO, you have one year of suck, clear all the dead cap stuff, stock up on picks, get real talent and look to 2020 and beyond.

This is what the Browns did.  

Going from perennial 8-8 to 11-5 is harder that 5-11.

Gotta trim off all the mediocre Gruden try hard guys and get guys with more talent and upside.

You're hired. Only make sure the next GM has complete control and he’s someone who believes in hiring a head coach, not a glorified coordinator.

8 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

more of a hypothetical and you have to excuse my naïveté:

Mathew Stafford and for Jason Reed and a first rounder.  How would that cap work? 

-Dan

Jason reid? the reporter? sure. send him away. maybe Detroit will be too stupid to even know they aren't getting Jordan reed :P 

2 hours ago, Tsailand said:

That's dumber than having Jason Garrett as your head coach for nine years.

Which is almost as dumb as pretending to be totally uninvolved while a known failure like Bruce Allen runs the show for those same 9 years.

And that also followed the Dan and Vinny Clown Show.

Just caught this, and while the idea doesn't shock me that he might not come back and play, this is the first time I recall seeing a report that mentions it.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25372443/alex-smith-return-not-certain-optimism-exists-washington-redskins-qb-comeback

Alex Smith return not certain, but optimism exists for QB's comeback

3:32 PM ET
  • schefter_adam.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Adam SchefterESPN Senior Writer

Alex Smith's return to football is not a certainty, but there is optimism that the Washington Redskins quarterback will return from the spiral fracture in his leg in which the bone broke through his skin, sources tell ESPN.

Smith, 34, faces a lengthy rehab, and doctors are maintaining a wait-and-see attitude even though the Redskins believe he can make it back, according to sources. Smith broke the tibia and fibula in his right leg during last Sunday's loss to the Houston Texans.

This was a rough injury for anyone especially a QB who will turn 35 by next season.

I think you will start to hear more pragmatic discussions about his future as it starts to sink in for Alex, the FO, and the coaches over the next several weeks.

I think most wanted to stay away from the conversation (not me) out of respect for Alex but now the reality starts to kick in.

Justin Herbert in the 1st if he falls, but more thank likely Will Grier in the 2nd round.  We need a QB in the upcoming draft and we need to concentrate on drafting 2 OL w/the first 3 picks.

*** Love Trent Williams but if we can get a 1st or a 2nd and 4th for him in the offseason, we might want to think about getting value for him now as he's starting to wear down.  IF we can get a 2nd for him draft his replacement and resign Ty for 1/2 the price for a couple more years.

8 hours ago, RWJ said:

Justin Herbert in the 1st if he falls, but more thank likely Will Grier in the 2nd round.  We need a QB in the upcoming draft and we need to concentrate on drafting 2 OL w/the first 3 picks.

I've watched a lot of Grier, hard for me to get a handle on him though mainly because of how atrocious Big 12 defenses are.  If you get him you should draft his buddy David Sills too who he throws to like crazy.  He can move around the pocket well, good touch and accuracy -- doesn't have a gun though and gets away with some bad decisions it seems because of the defenses he faces.  

Jay though has gone for a Big 12 QB before.  Something about Grier strikes me that Jay (if he's still here) would dig him.  He plays with moxie among other things.  I don't think Herbert is coming out but even if he did I think he's out of reach unless they trade up.  

Personally, the only QBs I've paid a lot of attention who is supposed to be in the upper rounds in this draft are Grier and Haskins.   Am going to start paying attention more.   We should watch next Saturday the Ohio State-North Western game.   Clayton Thorson versus Haskins.  Both likely going in the upper rounds.    Daniel Jones gets some hype, I don't understand why the hype watching him some but i haven't really glued into him.  Ditto Drew Lock.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/its-almost-impossible-look-redskins-2019-qb-situation-and-not-expect-new-name

Taking a quarterback in the 2019 NFL Draft probably wasn't in the cards for the Redskins before the Smith injury. At least an early round pick didn't seem like likely.

Now, with Smith facing an intense rehab and McCoy in position to void a contract or prove he isn't the answer? Drafting a quarterback, early, seems not just possible but perhaps necessary. 

The Smith injury, or rather the severity of the Smith injury, changed the Redskins' plans at quarterback for the 2019 season and beyond.

Smith could make it all the way back, and some expect him to, but he will still be a 35-year-old QB coming off a major leg injury. It would be irresponsible to move forward without some sort of long-term plan behind Smith. 

And it's also entirely possible McCoy proves he belongs as a starting QB. But if he does, the odds of him remaining the starter in Washington next year and beyond seem slim. His contract is structured that if he plays well, he might get to go find a starting job, and honestly, should things break that way he deserves the chance. 

Two important takeaways here, and one of them is easy to forget.

1. The Redskins most likely need to look for their QB of the future, beginning as early as the 2019 Draft.
  2. The Redskins still have a chance to make the playoffs in 2018, and McCoy can get them there. If he does, don't expect McCoy to be back in Washington in 2019, at least on his current contract. 

Not a huge fan of this year's quarterback draft class at this point. Especially for a high round pick where we will likely have better players available at Tackle, Guard and pass rush. Maybe even linebacker. I realize QB needs generally account for a giant chunk of the BPA formula, but I'm just not impressed with what I've seen so far. Maybe I'll feel different when I see more from some of these QBs in the offseason. Having said that...

McCoy is uncertain, Smith is more than unlikely at all for next season (I don't care what reports say, I'm counting him out until I see him in). The Skins may have to draft a quarterback at some point out of necessity. I'd like to see them draft a good QB as low as they can. So if they have a second round grade on a guy and they can get him in the third, I'd prefer that route. But that's such an inexact science and so damn risky.

Just now, TryTheBeal! said:

Maybe Jameis Winston will be available?

Along with a spoon to rip my eyeballs from the socket.

I get the hype about the 2020 draft, Tua looks like a stud, Fromm probably too.  But I don't think this is a crash and burn type roster.  In other words, I doubt we'd get either hyped QB unless we gave up an RG3 type ransom to trade up so we'd likely be fishing in the next tier of QBs that year anyway.

So 2nd tier 2020 QBs or first tier 2019?  I don't know.  I haven't really dived in to have an opinion albeit I've watched a bunch of these guys play without really studying them and if anything paying more attention to their supporting cast.  As to the draft geeks at the moment, the thought is Herbert stays in school.  then you got a group of QBs, Thorson, Haskins, Grier, Lock, Jones are all grouped close with some hating a specific QB in that mix like some for example thinking Grier is a 4th round prospect, some picking on Lock, etc.   You got some liking Patterson (not many though) and Stidham, Finley, Rypien.

I guess per usual the Senior Bowl, combine, workouts will start to separate them. 

2 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Hopefully Kyler Murray

That's possible but a lot of talk he plays baseball.

Frankly, I would support the 2012 model and drafting 2 QBs.  One early, one mid/late.  Especially if they wind up with extra picks.

I prefer that over trading up to get one at/near the top of the first, or just taking one wherever they are and hoping for the best.

The only thing is, you gotta replace the coach, IMO.  I dont wanna see a young QB learn Gruden's system for a year or two, then have to start over.  The QB/combo needs to be in sync.

Archived