Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Starting QB 2019???

Renegade7

Who should be the starting QB in 2019???  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Who should be the starting QB in 2019???

• Alex Smith
    • Colt McCoy
    • Trade for a Veteran
    • Sign a Veteran
    • First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Non-First Round Pick (2019 draft class)
    • Too Early to Answer
    • I don't know yet
    • We're screwed (at least at QB for 2019)

5 minutes ago, TK said:

If Smith can't go, get ready for Teddy. 

Only reason I held off on this was the price because of the Alex contract.  FO talking about this let's me know they plan to go down swinging versus accepting the purgatory many are predicting, I'm down.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Really? Because you say it's not about taking money Alex is owed, but you're talking about taking money Alex is owed.

No, you arent listening and I'm tired of talking to you about it.  I've said repeatedly we should try to give Alex his SB hes owed and try to limit his cap hit if he retires at the same time.  That is NOT taking money from Alex, stop saying that because people are trying to figure out how to convert that SB into straight cash for him versus the atrocious cap hit that is coming from this.

I'm tired of telling you I dont want to keep him from getting his signing bonus money, you are so stuck on what you think will happen that you wont want to hear what could happen. 

You already made clear anyone expecting a miracle is dillusional or callous at best, I'm not going to continue this conversation with you until after he decides to retire or not.  I'm sick of you making me the villain in this conversation, you are not listening to me, so please stop talking to me about it.  We'll come back to this later.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

Literally the only thing we can do is designate him a June 1st cut and cut him at that time, which helps some with the cap.

I know you know this, but for the benefit of the majority of the forum:  This wouldn't reduce the total cap hit, but it would push some of it to the year after. 

My analogy is this:  If you were convicted of reckless driving in Virginia, and sentenced to 10 days in jail,  you might get the option to spend the next five weekends in jail.  But it's still going to be ten total days behind bars.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

we should try to give Alex his SB hes owed and try to limit his cap hit if he retires at the same time

We keep telling you this:  What you want isn't possible.  We will have to take a $71M cap hit from the Alex contract.  We can spread it out over five years, but we will have to take all $71M.  We will have $71M less to spend on players than the Cowboys, Eagles, or Giants will.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

No, you arent listening and I'm tired of talking to you about it.  I've said repeatedly we should try to give Alex his SB hes owed and try to limit his cap hit if he retires at the same time.  That is NOT taking money from Alex, stop saying that because people are trying to figure out how to convert that SB into straight cash for him versus the atrocious cap hit that is coming from this.

I'm tired of telling you I dont want to keep him from getting his signing bonus money, you are so stuck on what you think will happen that you wont want to hear what could happen. 

You already made clear anyone expecting a miracle is dillusional or callous at best, I'm not going to continue this conversation with you until after he decides to retire or not.  I'm sick of you making me the villain in this conversation, you are not listening to me, so please stop talking to me about it.  We'll come back to this later.

Please hear me out - Sorry, but I think you are missing the point here. The only thing they can do to minimize the CAP hit if he retires is to sue him for the amount of the signing bonus he did not play for. Since they have already paid him his full signing bonus they would be seeking to get the courts to require him to return some portion.

For example, if he retires say before next season, the team could ask that he return 4/5 of the SB ($21.6M) since he played only 1 of the 5 yrs on the contract. He could I guess return that money voluntarily but that just seems highly unlikely. If he did not, they would have to sue him in court. Not sure that is the teams best move from a media relations perspective - although not sure that matters to this team given they just claimed a guy just recently arrested for domestic violence and who has a been accused of it in the past - but that's a different story. In the end the team is stuck if he retires.

What would help the CAP, and is more along what I think you are getting at, is if the team can come to an injury settlement. If they came to terms Alex would give up some of the additional money guarantee on the contract and in return the team would not ask for any of the SB to be returned. the other benefit for Alex of an injury settlement is that he can play for any other team. If he retires he is tied to Washington unless they release him. Not sure its enough incentive though. Not sure I would voluntarily give up that much money.

John Riggins did though. He was due a huge roster bonus for being on the team and retired just a few days before the bonus kicked in. The team actually encouraged him retire a few days later (No CAP in those days) but he refused.  

In the end I think we all wish Alex the best personally. This is all just talk. It is fairly unprecedented with this kind of money on the line. It will be interesting to see what happens.

6 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

The man crush for me on Will Grier is real.  This guy looks real good.  If they were willing to go all in for Griffin in 2012 then this guy should be worth a shot too

Part of me wants to hold out for Fromm... if were confident he comes out after his junior season

35 minutes ago, MediocreGymnast said:

Logic says Colt McCoy, but the idea of selling seats and jerseys says, someone with name-power.

Their seat selling problem wont be solved, or even mitigated, by the 2019 QB.  The home opener this year was proof it's much bigger than that.

1 hour ago, OVCChairman said:

Part of me wants to hold out for Fromm... if were confident he comes out after his junior season

In 2020, Tua, even though he is playing poorly today or Fromm. But I doubt they would be in position to draft either. Unless they build some draft capital next year, do an RG3 type of ransom deal or collapse next season. I think they have too many good players to have a 3-13 kind of year.

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In 2020, Tua, even though he is playing poorly today or Fromm. But I doubt they would be in position to draft either. Unless they build some draft capital next year, do an RG3 type of ransom deal or collapse next season. I think they have too many good players to have a 3-13 kind of year.

I dont know why but ive struggled getting on the tua bandwagon.  Admittedly im bias because im ready to see parody at the top of the NCAA... so i kind of back door root against him.  Alabama is an NFL trade school anymore so who knows.  I do struggle looking back at history and coming up with NFL successful Bama QBs.  I could absolutely be sleeping on some so dont beat me up too badly.  

I see Fromm and i see a a QB thats built for todays NFL.  A lot of spread, rpo, running out of the shotgun stuff.  Hes got the arm to go outside and hes only a sophomore.  3 year starter at Georgia right now is about as much pro prep you can get.

Im hesitant to load up and go all in but it might be worth it.  Im all for loading up next season and seeing how things play out, but with the right coach and gm here... Fromm may be worth it.  

9 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I dont know why but ive struggled getting on the tua bandwagon.  Admittedly im bias because im ready to see parody at the top of the NCAA... so i kind of back door root against him.  Alabama is an NFL trade school anymore so who knows.  I do struggle looking back at history and coming up with NFL successful Bama QBs.  I could absolutely be sleeping on some so dont beat me up too badly.  

I see Fromm and i see a a QB thats built for todays NFL.  A lot of spread, rpo, running out of the shotgun stuff.  Hes got the arm to go outside and hes only a sophomore.  3 year starter at Georgia right now is about as much pro prep you can get.

Im hesitant to load up and go all in but it might be worth it.  Im all for loading up next season and seeing how things play out, but with the right coach and gm here... Fromm may be worth it.  

Tough to sell Tua today after his bad game last night.  But the dude typically is strong armed, accurate, mobile, clutch -- good character dude.   Typically at least in recent years Alabama quarterbacks aren't even in conversation for being the top pick.   So its not as if they are hyped but disappoint.  Trying to recall the last hyped Alabama QB.   But you won't get an argument from me about Fromm, looks like the real deal.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Tough to sell Tua today after his bad game last night.  But the dude typically is strong armed, accurate, mobile, clutch -- good character dude.   Typically at least in recent years Alabama quarterbacks aren't even in conversation for being the top pick.   So its not as if they are hyped but disappoint.  Trying to recall the last hyped Alabama QB.   But you won't get an argument from me about Fromm, looks like the real deal.

I know hes generally better than yesterday....

Thats the oddity to me about Bama Qbs, they drift off into obscurity.  McCarron is probably the most common name in the last 20 years.  Blake Sims maybe?

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I know hes generally better than yesterday....

Thats the oddity to me about Bama Qbs, they drift off into obscurity.  McCarron is probably the most common name in the last 20 years.  Blake Sims maybe?

As for yesterday, he's been banged up all season so it might have finally did him in.  As for McCarron and Sims neither though hyped as a top pick.  I get the idea of Alabama typically doesn't do big time QBs, that's true, Tua looks to be an exception.  But its not like for example the USC guys who are hyped as top 5 picks and then disappoint. 

Will see but I think Tua could be a star.  I'd love him or Fromm.  

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for yesterday, he's been banged up all season so it might have finally did him in.  As for McCarron and Sims neither though hyped as a top pick.  I get the idea of Alabama typically doesn't do big time QBs, that's true, Tua looks to be an exception.  But its not like for example the USC guys who are hyped as top 5 picks and then disappoint. 

Will see but I think Tua could be a star.  I'd love him or Fromm.  

On a completely personal weird quark i have.  Ive always wondered about a lefty qb.  Ball comes out different... blind side mentality is different.  Its all in my own mind and obviously theres no real serious concern, its just been something thats lingered in my mind... even when we had brunell.  

Im sure Tua has the tools and ability, im not disputing you and i hope it didnt come off that way.  My gut says we take a qb on the 1st or 2nd day this draft anyway so the hopes that either of those guys is a realistic expectation is minimal.  

It also depends on what happens in Ashburn between now and April. 

6 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

On a completely personal weird quark i have.  Ive always wondered about a lefty qb.  Ball comes out different... blind side mentality is different.  Its all in my own mind and obviously theres no real serious concern, its just been something thats lingered in my mind... even when we had brunell.  

Im sure Tua has the tools and ability, im not disputing you and i hope it didnt come off that way.  My gut says we take a qb on the 1st or 2nd day this draft anyway so the hopes that either of those guys is a realistic expectation is minimal.  

It also depends on what happens in Ashburn between now and April. 

I like the quirk of having a lefty QB but I know what you mean it does make things a bit different including the RT becoming more important. 

And I also agree that the Redskins won't have the patience to wait for 2020.  Heck it wouldn't even shock me if they traded up for Haskins who is looking to be likely the top guy in this draft.  Guessing Hebert doesn't come out.  Otherwise Lock, D. Jones, Grier, Finley, Rypien, etc are in play maybe 2nd-4th round.  Though every year it seems like guys rise higher than expected in the draft. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like the quirk of having a lefty QB but I know what you mean it does make things a bit different including the RT becoming more important. 

And I also agree that the Redskins won't have the patience to wait for 2020.  Heck it wouldn't even shock me if they traded up for Haskins who is looking to be likely the top guy in this draft.  Guessing Hebert doesn't come out.  Otherwise Lock, D. Jones, Grier, Finley, Rypien, etc are in play maybe 2nd-4th round.  Though every year it seems like guys rise higher than expected in the draft. 

Right?  The combine hype is a real thing. 

I think Rypien is a name that is going to seriously gain popularity here over the next 5 mos, but i dont think it works out that we get him.  I think hes taken in the 3rd or early 4th (like lauletta) before we get to him.

This might be a pipe dream, but man if we can get Haskins from OSU, wed be sitting pretty with the best arm coming out college since Roethlisberger.

But I think its gonna be hard to get him,. His draft stock is skyrocketing, dude has thrown 11 TDs and 900 yds, in the last two games, against good defenses.  If he has another good game, he might be out of reach for us...unless we go all RG3 for him...I know we should've learnt our lesson,  but he might actually be worth it, cuz bes nothing like RG3

Archived