Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Beginning - Embrace The Noodle

JSSkinz

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

To be clear, the above only applies to how Smith was playing this year.  On the aggregate, I think Smith is clearly a better qb.  I’m hoping he recovers and better familiarity with the offense allows him to take a big step forward.  It’s a dicey situation though and makes it hard to be optimistic for the near future (the next year or 2).  

Right, and who knows maybe if Crowder/CT had been healthy this entire season, the offense overall would have been different for both Smith & McCoy.  The argument that Smith was better when he had playmakers is really a "duh" type of statement.  Any QB would be better with elite playmakers, the reality however is the 'Skins don't have them at the moment.  If they go out and draft and/or sign some elite skill position players, that changes the situation regardless of what QB is under center.

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Right, and who knows maybe if Crowder/CT had been healthy this entire season, the offense overall would have been different for both Smith & McCoy.  The argument that Smith was better when he had playmakers is really a "duh" type of statement.  Any QB would be better with elite playmakers, the reality however is the 'Skins don't have them at the moment.  If they go out and draft and/or sign some elite skill position players, that changes the situation regardless of what QB is under center.

The problem is every team in the NFL would be different if everyone was healthy.  Just about every team had players the likes of Crowder/CT out, we arent special in that regard.  No team gets into the season without multiple key players on IR or with long term injuries.  You have to have enough depth to account for that, because it happens every year.  We dont.

4 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

The problem is every team in the NFL would be different if everyone was healthy.  Just about every team had players the likes of Crowder/CT out, we arent special in that regard.  No team gets into the season without multiple key players on IR or with long term injuries.  You have to have enough depth to account for that, because it happens every year.  We dont.

Depth or having a difference maker at QB.  'Skins have neither at the moment.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

Depth or having a difference maker at QB.  'Skins have neither at the moment.

No depth in terms of skill positions?  I’d agree if we’re talking about depth at oline (and corner), I’m not sure I agree about skill positions though.  Davis for Reed, Quinn for Crowder*, Harris for Doctson/Richardson, Bibbs for Thompson...  of course, I’m not sold on Perine for AP, but still.  

Now, to be fair, you could argue that the depth only works (in the case of receivers) because our starters aren’t very good, so that’s why there’s not much of a drop off.  On the other hand, we have to factor in that our presumed depth - Sims, Robert Davis, and Quinn were/are all injured as well.  Also have to factor that Smith wasn’t using the receivers well at all.  

* this reminds me of our tackle situation last year.  Nsheke was a viable backup tackle, but we lost him before the year began, which caused issues once Trent went down (and Moses was forced to play hurt).  

I think, in general, our depth the past two years has been pretty good, the issues were 1) losing our depth to injury too, or 2) having subpar starters.  There  have been a couple notable exceptions though as well.  

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Generally, only elite QBs can sustain success over a season with significant injuries to the team around them.  Establishing an identity as a team in a season can also supplement for injuries/less talent. Complimentary football. No one unit will be elite, but all must contribute during season. Contributions will vary depending on the variables for that individual game. 

The middle of pack teams often are searching for an identity and often will go a whole season not embracing or finding a brand of football. This is where coaches must be egoless and adapt each season to that team’s strengths. 

2 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

Here's the thing, Colt's turnovers wouldn't be harped on as much if he was throwing 3-4 TD passes a game and leading an offense that was putting up 30 points a game. Think early-career SOME GUY WE DONT TALK ABOUT ANYMORE where he tended to throw the ball all over the field but also had turnovers.  In those cases you could take the good with the bad.

I was here for those debates and I can tell you about half the forum didn't see it that way..  

If Colt throws 3 TDs, 1 int, 300+ yards, 100+ passer rating, but we lose to the Eagles anyway, some people will put all the blame on him.

19 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

I was here for those debates and I can tell you about half the forum didn't see it that way..  

If Colt throws 3 TDs, 1 int, 300+ yards, 100+ passer rating, but we lose to the Eagles anyway, some people will put all the blame on him.

Depends when stats occurred, you know?

TDs, yards, and INTs have varying degrees of value depending on the situation the statistic occurs. 

One good thing about Colt’s performance the last two weeks, he gave us a chance to come from behind, which I imagine helps the players around him to continue to play hard.  Of course, I didn’t see much quit in these guys even when faced with adversity, which is nice... and a step up from some other times/seasons.  

Another mental thing - if he scores more often when our D gets turnovers, I think that’s another boost (for those around him - defense in particular).  No telling how much that is offset by him giving the ball back to the other team though...

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Actually watching what the Dallas Cowboys defense did to Brees and the Saints -- makes me feel a little better about Colts' performance.  This game should be a more fair test IMO.

I thought the same thing.  And that was without any practice.  Brees looked like Smith yesterday.

This game is now huge for the playoffs, much more the division since Jerry's kids pulled off that BS last night. I'm stuck listening to and watching Eagles radio and network, and they are more nervous than a virgin on prom night. They are not confident they can beat us, a few were ask could the Redskins win this game, and they replied oh yea, they are favored by 6 1/2 points for a reason.

They have seen the same things we have, penalties not called in Dallas, Colt moving this offense against 2 of the best defenses in the league, and a Defense who can shut down any RB when they play their game. Honestly, I'm not worried, I have watched both these teams play, we will win this game.

7 hours ago, Tsailand said:

Of course they will, even if we lose 41-40, it will be all his fault.

23 hours ago, skinny21 said:

No depth in terms of skill positions?  I’d agree if we’re talking about depth at oline (and corner), I’m not sure I agree about skill positions though.  Davis for Reed, Quinn for Crowder*, Harris for Doctson/Richardson, Bibbs for Thompson...  of course, I’m not sold on Perine for AP, but still.  

Now, to be fair, you could argue that the depth only works (in the case of receivers) because our starters aren’t very good, so that’s why there’s not much of a drop off.  On the other hand, we have to factor in that our presumed depth - Sims, Robert Davis, and Quinn were/are all injured as well.  Also have to factor that Smith wasn’t using the receivers well at all.  

* this reminds me of our tackle situation last year.  Nsheke was a viable backup tackle, but we lost him before the year began, which caused issues once Trent went down (and Moses was forced to play hurt).  

I think, in general, our depth the past two years has been pretty good, the issues were 1) losing our depth to injury too, or 2) having subpar starters.  There  have been a couple notable exceptions though as well.  

Quinn and Harris arent depth, if thats the case we should have a good receiving core, but we do not.  Most questions whether we even have a good receiving core with our starters, much less with 2 of them out.  What has Quinn or Harris done in their career?  I mean, I like both of them, but I can take a step back and realize I see things through fans glasses, no other fan even knows their names.

10 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Quinn and Harris arent depth, if thats the case we should have a good receiving core, but we do not.  Most questions whether we even have a good receiving core with our starters, much less with 2 of them out.  What has Quinn or Harris done in their career?  I mean, I like both of them, but I can take a step back and realize I see things through fans glasses, no other fan even knows their names.

I don’t understand.  

1) Harris and Quinn (and Sims) were our depth at the beginning of the year

2) they’ve become (spot?) starters due to injury

3) no, our receiving corp is not very good, and yes, it’s because we don’t/didn’t have any real #1s.  

4) Harris and Quinn are not household names - much like most team’s #4 and 5/6 receivers.  Yes, they’ve gotten some PT now, but we haven’t exactly been a passing team that would warrant noticing these guys.  

Anyway, I was responding to your notion that we don’t have depth to withstand injuries like most NFL teams suffer.  The depth was fine at most spots on the team except probably interior oline and corner (there’s hope for the future here, but they’re pretty raw), and maybe rb and safety.  Peterson alleviated losing Guice, and trading for Dix helped at S.  

Unfortunately, we have several positions at which the starters aren’t much better than the depth - ILB, wr and maybe qb - and our tackles and guard situation is a mess.  

Sure, Harris/Quinn and Bibbs aren’t world beaters, but they appear to be solid depth for Crowder and Thompson. There’s a drop off (as you’d expect), but not a killer one.  

Forget trying to find a unicorn QB. Let’s set a trend and go with a college style run game with a true dual threat QB with two guys with similar ability ready to roll right behind the starter. 

**Ravens may be headed this direction. 

Feel for Colt. 

Archived