Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Beginning - Embrace The Noodle

JSSkinz

36 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Sort of...we can Tank for Tua in 2020.  Some other teams will still be grinding at .500 with an overrated chucker on a $28M guarantee.

Wonder though Dan-Bruce would have the patience to sit out this draft and tank for 2020 -- doesn't seem to be their style.  Personally, I'd be more than fine with it.

29 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Forget trying to find a unicorn QB. Let’s set a trend and go with a college style run game with a true dual threat QB with two guys with similar ability ready to roll right behind the starter. 

**Ravens may be headed this direction. 

Feel for Colt. 

Awful bad luck for Colt.  He thought his injury in 2014 derailed his chance as a starter -- now he gets another go, and he's injured again.  But yeah sadly the dude has been too injured prone-brittle in his short career as a starter.

As for the Ravens, L. Jackson was a #1 pick, big name, too so they aimed high.  I think this team likely will, too this year.  Question is who?  Haskins?  Lock?  Now am hoping Herbert comes out.  Previously, when Alex was healthy I didn't want Herbert to come out because I figured the Giants needed a QB and I didn't want them to get a good one.  Now, we are more desperate at Qb than the Giants and I bet we might even end up picking higher in this draft than them.  

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wonder though Dan-Bruce would have the patience to sit out this draft and tank for 2020 -- doesn't seem to be their style.  Personally, I'd be more than fine with it.

Right. What a year. I was in camp all in for this year, but you can’t escape excuse of losing top two QBs. I don’t know. I might be able to stomach one more year of Jay and support whatever takes place with FO. 

Awful bad luck for Colt.  He thought his injury in 2014 derailed his chance as a starter -- now he gets another go, and he's injured again.  But yeah sadly the dude has been too injured prone-brittle in his short career as a starter.

Disgusted for the guy. I mean, he’s made great money and has experienced longevity in the league, but on a competitive level he must be sick. 

As for the Ravens, L. Jackson was a #1 pick, big name, too so they aimed high.  I think this team likely will, too this year.  Question is who?  Haskins?  Lock?  Now am hoping Herbert comes out.  Previously, when Alex was healthy I didn't want Herbert to come out because I figured the Giants needed a QB and I didn't want them to get a good one.  Now, we are more desperate at Qb than the Giants and I bet we might even end up picking higher in this draft than them.  

Wasnt clear enough, meant Ravens May be headed in direction of modern day ground and pound football that must involve the running QB element that has get the edge speed. 

16 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Wasnt clear enough, meant Ravens May be headed in direction of modern day ground and pound football that must involve the running QB element that has get the edge speed. 

I like using the QB as a weapon in the running game but L. Jackson worries me on that front, his frame reminds me of RG3.  The trend in the NFL seems to be using the spread-college system and the innovators on that front seem to be hot in demand. 

1 minute ago, cakmoney61 said:

Never mind about the need to embrace the noodle for the noodle has been broken.

Feel bad about McCoy, though. He seems like a good guy that was getting his chance.

He probably wouldn't have succeeded, but I feel bad for him, nonetheless.

1 minute ago, SkinsGuy said:

Feel bad about McCoy, though. He seems like a good guy that was getting his chance.

He probably wouldn't have succeeded, but I feel bad for him, nonetheless.

I agree 100%!!!!!  Sadly, the talent at QB has taken a precipitous drop going from McCoy to Sanchez.  

12 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like using the QB as a weapon in the running game but L. Jackson worries me on that front, his frame reminds me of RG3.  The trend in the NFL seems to be using the spread-college system and the innovators on that front seem to be hot in demand. 

His frame is certainly frail. Much more of a natural runner than RG3, but wouldn’t be surprised if he struggles with injuries, especially on 3rd downs, critical moments or red zone. Tough for a guy to give up an Oppo to convert a 3rd conversion by avoiding a potential hit.

Just would love to see a team employ 3 guys like Jackson to keep it rolling no matter what. Like it’s done in the college ranks.

Agree on the spread elements and that being a direction of NFL. Naturally I like to go against the Heard and think the new ground and pound must be with an electric QB.

For example, the Ravens were dead in the water with a bad run game. Last two games they’ve dominated with the run game, time of possession, and dominate defense. His impact in two games is on level of top tier QB. Not saying it’s the right way, but it’ll be interesting to watch from afar. 

Also, in today’s nfl climate, electric QBs can be had in the 4th round and beyond. Risk/reward is great. Just spit balling though. Not likely to happen or anything. 

1 minute ago, wit33 said:

Agree on the spread elements and that being a direction of NFL. Naturally I like to go against the Heard and think the new ground and pound must be with an electric QB.

For example, the Ravens were dead in the water with a bad run game. Last two games they’ve dominated with the run game, time of possession, and dominate defense. His impact in two games is on level of top tier QB. Not saying it’s the right way, but it’ll be interesting to watch from afar. 

Carolina is sort of like that.  Run game, trenches driven team with a QB who can run.   Dallas sort of too.    

18 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Carolina is sort of like that.  Run game, trenches driven team with a QB who can run.   Dallas sort of too.    

Those guys aren’t a threat at all on the edge. Opens soooo much more when the QB can consistently beat the backers around the edge and potentially break big runs. This creates huge lanes up the middle for RBs as well. With that said, Newton definitely Qualifies and is special in his own right. Was the MVP and made Super Bowl and consistently in the playoffs. 

Comparison would be a defense not having to worry about a QB consistently making sideline throws. 

4 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Those guys aren’t a threat at all on the edge. Opens soooo much more when the QB can consistently beat the backers around the edge and potentially break big runs. This creates huge lanes up the middle for RBs as well. With that said, Newton definitely Qualifies and is special in his own right. Was the MVP and made Super Bowl and consistently in the playoffs. 

Comparison would be a defense not having to worry about a QB consistently making sideline throws. 

You said lets attempt to emulate Alex and crew football with the new QB, not sure if that was to sneak in another complement Alex's way -- but regardless, I ironically recall arguing with you that what compelled me the most about Alex was what he brought via his legs in his career -- you weren't that moved by that take, then.  If Its Lamar Jackson moving you now, yeah that dude is special with his legs, that was evident in college.

Alas Alex wasn't much of a threat with his legs this year.  Cam leads the league in QB rushes, Dak is top 10 at it -- but I used them to play off of your Alex-ball control analogy.  Carolina and Dallas are very much about having a running game and Carolina more so than Dallas using the QB sometimes as its own threat in that department. 

On 11/22/2018 at 2:08 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

The season's tanked. May as well look ahead. Chance are we get to retain Colt on a more manageable deal next year which I dare say helps the bigger salary cap picture..(if we draft a QB and still have Alex Smith's deal draining the cap dry).

38 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You said lets attempt to emulate Alex and crew football with the new QB, not sure if that was to sneak in another complement Alex's way -- but regardless, I ironically recall arguing with you that what compelled me the most about Alex was what he brought via his legs in his career -- you weren't that moved by that take, then.  If Its Lamar Jackson moving you now, yeah that dude is special with his legs, that was evident in college.

I think there’s some value in scrapping the playbook and going with a speed QB to end year and maybe squeeze into the playoffs. I don’t think Sanchez has any chance to learn Jays playbook and be successful. Especially when factoring the supporting cast. 

A Josh Johnson type QB gives the Skins the best chance to run the football consistently, win the time of possession, and help protect the football. Just a thought. Won’t happen, as  this goes against value system Jay has for the QB. 

We have completely different opinions on Alex and his running abilities. Alex was a 4.6-4.7 speed guy at 20 years old, still not fast enough to capture the edge consistently on RPOs. We differ on how Alex gained a majority of his rush yards in years past, as I feel large percentage were scramble/broken/improv plays and less from RPO style runs. Have never been able to find stats to prove this though. 

Alex’s legs being a difference maker in the run game, as it relates to the RPO action is similar to that of a Wentz or lesser degree Foles. Ya, it’s a threat, but it’s not a game breaker type issue if the edge is given up. 

Alas Alex wasn't much of a threat with his legs this year.  Cam leads the league in QB rushes, Dak is top 10 at it -- but I used them to play off of your Alex-ball control analogy.  Carolina and Dallas are very much about having a running game and Carolina more so than Dallas using the QB sometimes as its own threat in that department. 

Alex isn’t the same QB as those guys, closer to Dak in some ways though. And his intangibles are muuuuvh better than those two ;) lol

The speedier QBs I’m talking about I feel are ball control offenses we see today on steroids. For example, I much rather have a Jackson type QB than Smith running a ball controlled offense. Higher ceiling. But I’d need two dudes with similar ability backing Jackson up. 

32 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

The season's tanked. May as well look ahead. Chance are we get to retain Colt on a more manageable deal next year which I dare say helps the bigger salary cap picture..(if we draft a QB and still have Alex Smith's deal draining the cap dry).

I know a little about the Fibula and Tibia from my son's experience since he broke both.  His first X-ray was on the back of his shin, Fibula and they didn't that break was that bad or would need surgery but then the next X-ray showed the Tibia and that was a different story and required surgery.  Colt's injury might not take a long time to heal from, he could be ready for camp.  With Alex, I doubt he's ready.

Still I'd look to draft a QB this year or build draft capital to draft one in 2020.  I was unimpressed with Alex's play healthy let alone him coming off of an injury.  As for Colt, the dude is just brittle period.

15 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I think there’s some value in scrapping the playbook and going with a speed QB to end year and maybe squeeze into the playoffs. I don’t think Sanchez has any chance to learn Jays playbook and be successful. Especially when factoring the supporting cast. 

I agree with the Sanchez part of your point.  But I don't think any QB who is unemployed right now can take this team to the playoffs especially the way this defense has been playing for the last 5 weeks or so.

We have completely different opinions on Alex and his running abilities. Alex was a 4.6-4.7 speed guy at 20 years old, still not fast enough to capture the edge consistently on RPOs. We differ on how Alex gained a majority of his rush yards in years past, as I feel large percentage were scramble/broken/improv plays and less from RPO style runs. Have never been able to find stats to prove this though. 

My point was a decent chuck of them was via RPO-RO, i even cited Alex's coaches talking about it but if you don't want to buy into it, don't care.  But yeah I don't think you need Lamar Jackson level speed to be a good threat with your legs.  Alex was fast enough to be a threat, he had almost 500 yards one year on the ground.  Nonetheless, that trade to me was a disaster -- not excited about Alex coming back, so what's done is done.  Hopefully we aren't talking about Alex next year and they have another QB ready to take over.

Alex isn’t the same QB as those guys, closer to Dak in some ways though. And his intangibles are muuuuvh better than those two ;) lol

The other QBs  IMO are distinctly better than Alex.  But Alex is at least in the conversation with Dak.

The speedier QBs I’m talking about I feel are ball control offenses we see today on steroids. For example, I much rather have a Jackson type QB than Smith running a ball controlled offense. Higher ceiling. But I’d need two dudes with similar ability backing Jackson up. 

OK so its not the plodding ball control, you want.  You want ball control with someone who is lethal with their legs as part of it.  Sort of like RG3 2012 -- that had a lot of RO but it was about the running game and controlling the ball and a QB who was lethal on the run. 

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Still I'd look to draft a QB this year or build draft capital to draft one in 2020.  I was unimpressed with Alex's play healthy let alone him coming off of an injury.  As for Colt, the dude is just brittle period.

I think Colt will be back for camp as well. 

As for the draft, I'm taking one in 2019 without a second guess now. If we totally suck in 2019 and have the chance to draft one high in 2020, I'm taking another. May as well go full on to try and get a great young QB prospect in.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree with the Sanchez part of your point.  But I don't think any QB who is unemployed right now can take this team to the playoffs especially the way this defense is playing for the last 5 weeks or so.

No scenario created would lead us to believe playoffs are in the mix. Just spitballing the idea of going with an athletic QB and how that translates to having a run game. 

It's not that I disagreed with how he got his yards -- my point was a decent chuck of them was via RPO-RO, i even cited Alex's coaches talking about it but if you don't want to buy into it, don't care.  But yeah I don't think you need Lamar Jackson level speed to be a good threat with your legs.  Alex was fast enough to be a thread, he had almost 500 yards one year on the ground.  Nonetheless, that trade to me was a disaster -- not excited about Alex coming back, so what's done is done.

There were layers to the discussion, but my consistent point was that much of Alex’s rushing yards were from broken plays/scrambles in the passing game. My guess is somewhere around 75-25. Who knows though, as it would require an avid Chief fan or statistics separating the two types of rushing yards. Point being, Alex’s success running the ball were more of a result of improv, not designed runs. 

The other QBs  IMO are distinctly better than Alex.  But Alex is at least in the conversation with Dak.

Newton no doubt. Dak is debatable, but Alex has done it longer. I personally would prefer Alex though. 

OK so its not the plodding ball control, you want.  You want ball control with someone who is lethal with their legs as part of it.  Sort of like RG3 2012 -- that had a lot of RO but it was about the running game and controlling the ball and a QB who was lethal on the run. 

Plodding the ball control was what was best for the team this year. I can careless for the brand of football. Just wanted to win in 2018. It became clear with the injuries to Crowder and Thompson (even with them) the team needed to play complimentary football on offense. Not screw it up on offense and let other average teams with identity questions make mistakes. The ceiling for season wasn’t high on offense, but it wasn’t just because of Alex. 

That was an underlying issue not discussed enough, as some were measuring the Skins to potential Super Bowl teams, I just wanted Skins for the 2018 season to be better than the average teams and build on it this off-season. Maybe even establish an identity moving forward. 

I’m open to idea of building around a dynamic athlete at the QB position with two backups with similar skills behind the guy. I see advantages to building around this style as the QB provides a higher success rate as a known commodity (A dynamic run game, dominate time of possession, and low TO rate) versus the next Sanchez (an extreme, but you get the idea). 

Not saying its the only way, just another path. 

Archived