Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Beginning - Embrace The Noodle

JSSkinz

Just now, Rufus T Firefly said:

Did you know the human head weighs 8 pounds?

Did you know that if you repeat the same argument for another 8000 posts in the stadium it still wont change the fact that by midnight tonight our lost youth is going to have a 2-23-1 record in his last 26 outings vs winning teams?

4 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Did you know that if you repeat the same argument for another 8000 posts in the stadium it still wont change the fact that by midnight tonight our lost youth is going to have a 2-23-1 record in his last 26 outings vs winning teams?

Do you know how weak your arguments look when you have to resort to walking the line on breaking the forum rules, because you literally have no other leg to stand on?

I sometimes wonder if these outlandish opinions are based in actual thought, or just playing defense for your team.

Haha, ok. Outlandish 'weak' opinions that arent based in actual thought? Nah.

Walking the line on the rules stickied to the top of the Stadium? Yea probably, so ill stop.

But its pretty hard to converse when the genesis of every argument regarding the state of our team in every thread throughout the stadium with the same few people that seem to control the narrative of each thread, comes down to an opinion of whether or not the right choice was made. God forbid someone comes in to the stadium and disagrees that our future isnt all that bleak.

11 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

But its pretty hard to converse when the genesis of every argument regarding the state of our team in every thread throughout the stadium with the same few people that seem to control the narrative of each thread, comes down to an opinion of whether or not the right choice was made. God forbid someone comes in to the stadium and disagrees that our future isnt all that bleak.

It's not actually hard. Try making a coherent argument, back it up with logic and respond to substance of points made in opposition, rather than responding with non-sequiturs and Straw Men. 

You made it clear you weren't interested in doing any of the above. 

21 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Same few people? You’re late. Damn near everyone is in agreement that the acquisition of Alex Smith is an atrocity.

The few, would be folks who believe things like the master plan was to pay 71M to a bridge QB to make 40+ of it after his heir apparent is drafted.  And then acts like that’s a good plan to boot.  Phew.

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

:ols: leave Brittney alone  :ols:

I know why he was a back up and it's not just because of who was in front of him. Its because hes not a good enough player to start in the NFL.

The butt fumble nickname is as dumb as the short week excuse.

We have a better chance winning this division with Colt than we did with Alex, or especially the butt-fumbler, but that also shows the quality of QB's we have, because I don't think Smith or Sanchez are genuine starters in this league either. So we will call it 3 back ups on our squad. At least Colt is capable of scoring and bringing us back, as he did against a very aggressive Texans Defense,  and was doing the same thing in Dallas until their 7 MVP's joined their defense, the refs. That is all we need from him Koolblue, if Manusky will take the tampon off and start manning our defense up, Colt can put enough points on the board to win. 1st string, 2nd or 3rd, it doesn't matter, he is our leader now, and as I said, we have a better shot with him than we did with  Alex Smith. As you said, he's rode the pine a long time, if he can't take advantage of a huge blessing and situation like he has now, than why even keep him for a back up. No excuses for any of these guys, especially coaches. If these guys want it bad enough and prepare, they can win this division. Weather that happens or not, we are all about to see starting Monday night.

No one in the history of mankind has ever embraced the wet noodle.  That said, having touch can be a good thing.

To football, at least our WRs and TEs will be less likely to drop passes going forward, and sure enough Vernon scored.

I still think we should have snatched the best young QB off of someone's practice squad over Sanchez, since you know, we don't have any young QBs in the pipe at all. We can proclaim we are competing for the playoffs and don't want to end up with a kid at the helm, but how much worse could he be than a backup, and a guy out of the league.  There is more to playing QB than familiarity with coaches. Coaches can cater a playbook to a young QB in a pinch, but you can't teach an old dog arm strength new tricks.

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

What other player on the team is defined by the record or is it just Alex?

We fundamentally disagree that the QB has elevated expectations than other positions, but truly don’t see how this isn’t obvious. If you lose as a QB consistently you will get replaced, this isn’t true for other positions. 

How many QBs are in the hall of game with a losing record? I want to say only the Raider QB holds this distinction. Jim Plunket?? 

No, this isn’t the end all be all stat to QBs, but it has value when discussing QBs. 

Talk about a dude with high stakes at play in his debut.  First the Cowboys for first place on the national stage -- next week might be versus the Eagles for first place again on the national stage.  Both games on the road.  if you want games with high stakes -- sink or swim implications, wow.  I can't think of a parallel for any of the Qbs we've had over the years. 

Very true, especially when laid out in way you did. Fortunately he doesn’t need to win the game for team to still be in it, buuuut it sure would be great. 

If we are stuck with this version of Alex.  IMO you can only build and win around it if you have a really good defense and preferably running game, too.   And then you still have a ceiling just like Jax with Bortles.  Alex ironically right now ranked 25th in QBR just a hair above Bortles.  

Nah man, this is where we go in complete opposite directions.

Bortles is a unpredictable commodity game to game. He’d love to have career of Smith. Smith is a known entity each game. 

If you want to argue his ceiling/maximum value, cool. 

In today's NFL which is more passing oriented than ever with QBs putting up video game level numbers -- if I recall I read we got a record level of QBs with 90 plus QB ratings (Alex not among them) its tough to ever be a threat to the big dance when you can't compete via the air.  And by that I don't mean versus Rodgers.  I mean against guys like Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson, Wentz, etc.  

With that said, the Chiefs QB’d by Smith beat Brady, Wentz, and Rivers in consecutively last year. Is he as good as those guys? No. Can you beat them with Smith? Yes. 

Alex Smith’s previous 7 seasons of playing QB were seasons of 90 plus QB rating, last year he led the league. This year he was at 85.7 during what we all know wasn’t his best play. Discussion about the guy is as if he doesn’t have years on top of years of playing solid football. 

And by the way the record books gives Alex that loss against Texas as they should.  I know you aren't arguing otherwise but in case you are interested. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm

Not to pick on Alex but i am not excited about ANY QB that is a game manager type who can't move the ball.  I've been down on Dak this year and last as an example.   I am not looking to find the next Trent Dilfer and see if the team can reinvent the wheel and be the Ravens in their Superbowl year eons back.   I am not looking for a QB where opponents are daring that QB to beat them because they are much more fearful of the team's RB.  I want a QB who can strike fear in defenses and who can win games if must be. 

Smith has 7 seasons of a QB rating in the 90s. Dilfers best season in his entire career was 82. Smith 94 wins; Dilfer 58 wins. I understand you’re attempting to go to a known extreme of Dilfer and historic Ravens defense, but it’s disingenuous. Smith has put together a good career. Not a season or two. 

Not saying you are saying otherwise but I don't see this as a choice between two extremes.   Russell Wilson who isn't elite, has 23 TDs versus 5 INTs.  The dude can actually throw touchdowns (more than double Alex) and throw the same number of picks.  Philip Rivers also with 23 TDs, 6 INTs.    You can actually move the ball and avoid picks, too.  It's not and either or decision.  The irony is we might have on our roster though the two extremes in play -- that's part of the reason why I think its analogous (even though they are better players than Rex-Beck) to the Rex-Beck discussion.

Rivers and Wilson are as close to elite as you can get in their own unique ways. 

How Alex Smith is grouped with these guys (Beck, Rex, Mccoy) is beyond me, but it fits your narrative of downplaying Smiths career. I get that you prefaced your comment, but it still doesn’t make sense, IMHO. 

Edit:  this comment I just caught brings it home for me

Huh? Smith will never come close to Luck. Smith will never have an elite season. Smith will convert less third and 8 throws than Luck. No argument from me. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

How many QBs are in the hall of game with a losing record?

Probably not many.  But my point wasn't QBs with career losing records were good or for that matter QBs with career winning records are great or not great.  We even had one a point blank conversation irrespective of Alex about judging QBs on W-L records.  I was very clear to you about my position with detail so If you haven't followed it by all of this time, then I am likely wasting my time if I reexplained it.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

No, this isn’t the end all be all stat to QBs, but it has value when discussing QBs. 

I agree it has value but you are overly consumed with its value IMO.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Bortles is a unpredictable commodity game to game. He’d love to have career of Smith. Smith is a known entity each game. 

I've said multiple times if I had to choose a mediocre to less than that QB like how Alex has been this year and a mediocre to less than that Qb like Bortles I'd take Alex.  "Mediocre" being the operative word.  These aren't good QBs but mediocre.   Yeah if we are delving into the mediocre to less crop of QBs (20-32) the wildly inconsistent and turnover ones are worse.  

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

With that said, the Chiefs QB’d by Smith beat Brady, Wentz, and Rivers in consecutively last year. Is he as good as those guys? No. Can you beat them with Smith? Yes. 

The 2017 version of Alex is a different beast.  But if your point is any QB can lose randomly to any team -- yep that happens every year.   My point is what happens most of the time.  In the NFL random weird stuff happens on occasion -- that's part of the fun of the league. Heck a struggling Jay Cutler helped the Dolphins beat the Patriots the same year that the Chiefs did.  Heck the Chiefs beat the Patriots but lost that year to the lowly Jets, Giants and Bills. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Smith has 7 seasons of a QB rating in the 90s. Dilfers best season in his entire career was 82. Smith 94 wins; Dilfer 58 wins. I understand you’re attempting to go to a known extreme of Dilfer and historic Ravens defense, but it’s disingenuous. Smith has put together a good career. Not a season or two. 

You didn't follow the analogy.  I wasn't making a career apples to apples analogy of Alex's career to Dilfer.  I was making the point that my model to hit the Superbowl isn't to model the Ravens year where you have a killer defense and a game manager.  I think that's very difficult to do in today's age,

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Huh? Smith will never come close to Luck. Smith will never have an elite season. Smith will convert less third and 8 throws than Luck. No argument from me. 

I wasn't comparing Alex to Luck.  That post was a segue from the idea of I want a QB who can actually make plays to win the game for me.  Not a QB who almost exclusively relies on other units to make plays to save the team.   And to preempt your point, no its not just the elite few QBs who can make plays to win games for their team.   And yes there are random exceptions to everything but i am talking QBs who can win if the passing game has to take the lead to do so.   I prefer balance and a team where the passing game is the weakness is imbalanced.

In your shoes, I wouldn't waste my time spinning my wheels defending the prowess of this team with Alex.  It's looking to likely being an irrelevant discussion unless the point is finding the next game manager type in the draft and playing up the value of such in today's NFL or whatever.  

5 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

We were winning with Alex. He had a phenomenal year before coming to the skins. Yet, you somehow think Colt is the better QB.

You think our defense plays weak because they're just women and women are weak, but Manusky can make them act like men? Jesus what a post.

We were winning in spite of Alex. Once the running game died and the defense went from top 5 to middle of the pack, the wheels came off. Before the injury. Fact of the matter is that Colt isn't a good QB either, but he will at least stretch the field. And you have to do that in the NFL.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Probably not many.  But my point wasn't QBs with career losing records were good or for that matter QBs with career winning records are great or not great.  We even had one a point blank conversation irrespective of Alex about judging QBs on W-L records.  I was very clear to you about my position with detail so If you haven't followed it by all of this time, then I am likely wasting my time if I reexplained it.

Do you feel QBs are judged differently than other positions in regards to wins and losses?

I agree it has value but you are overly consumed with its value IMO.

Overly consumed is relative, but yes, I do agree it has value in this discussion. 

I've said multiple times if I had to choose a mediocre to less than that QB like how Alex has been this year and a mediocre to less than that Qb like Bortles I'd take Alex.  "Mediocre" being the operative word.  These aren't good QBs but mediocre.   Yeah if we are delving into the mediocre to less crop of QBs (20-32) the wildly inconsistent and turnover ones are worse.  

How Alex is being put in category of mediocre and Blake Bortles makes zero sense. 3 different teams have put winning formulas around Alex and his philosophy/approach supports this formula. 

If argument is the ceiling isn’t a Super Bowl, then you got me, as he’s not been able to win one or come close for 5 plus years. I believe his floor is higher than QBs in his tier, but ceiling not as high. Thoughts on that? 

The 2017 version of Alex is a different beast.  But if your point is any QB can lose randomly to any team -- yep that happens every year.   My point is what happens most of the time.  In the NFL random weird stuff happens on occasion -- that's part of the fun of the league. Heck a struggling Jay Cutler helped the Dolphins beat the Patriots the same year that the Chiefs did.  Heck the Chiefs beat the Patriots but lost that year to the lowly Jets, Giants and Bills. 

I quickly went and looked at 2017 wins for Alex, I think we both can agree he’s beaten the elites or guys just outside the elite previous to 2017. 

You didn't follow the analogy.  I wasn't making a career apples to apples analogy of Alex's career to Dilfer.  I was making the point that my model to hit the Superbowl isn't to model the Ravens year where you have a killer defense and a game manager.  I think that's very difficult to do in today's age,

You’ve made the analogy numerous times, I get it. I view it as a slight against Alex, as we all know the Ravens offense was atrocious and at one point didn’t score a TD in 5-6 consecutive games. It points to an extreme example, but other teams have won with defense being the better unit in recent years (Giants, Broncos, Seahawks, Eagles (while Foles was at the helm, Ravens 2013). I don’t like just using Super Bowl winners, as we know strong passing teams fall short. 

Yes, winning with a run game and defense is difficult and not as impactful in today’s NFL, but it still has value and beats the alternative of trying to emulate the elite QBs without an elite QB, in my opinion. 

Side note: The Ravens appears headed towards skewing this formula a bit with Jackson. I’m fascinated to see if they actually draft a guy similar to his skill set to have security for this kind of formula like other teams do with pocket QBs. 

I wasn't comparing Alex to Luck.  That post was a segue from the idea of I want a QB who can actually make plays to win the game for me.  Not a QB who almost exclusively relies on other units to make plays to save the team.   And to preempt your point, no its not just the elite few QBs who can make plays to win games for their team.   And yes there are random exceptions to everything but i am talking QBs who can win if the passing game has to take the lead to do so.   I prefer balance and a team where the passing game is the weakness is imbalanced.

I prefer balance as well. I’m not arguing Smiths play was ideal, but his intangibles provided team value while attempting to work through passing game kinks. Please remember these intangibles aren’t the exception for Alex, but rather the norm of what he has provided over last half of his career. 

Attempting to give zero credit (or a mediocre QB) to his team’s successes in that past is wrong. 

In your shoes, I wouldn't waste my time spinning my wheels defending the prowess of this team with Alex.  It's looking to likely being an irrelevant discussion unless the point is finding the next game manager type in the draft and playing up the value of such in today's NFL or whatever.  

Prowess of Alex?

He’s an average to above average QB who needs other units to be average to above to win. He cannot carry a team. He’s not elite. 

With that said, he will consistently contribute to your team being in the top 5-10 in TOP, top 5 in TO differential, Top 10 in run game, and manage a game effectively.  

***My apologies, as this belongs in the Smith thread. Last complete Smith centric post here. 

Uhh... Let’s getem Mccoy! 

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Do you feel QBs are judged differently than other positions in regards to wins and losses?

If your point is are there other NFL pundits that use W-L records in arguments.  Sure.   And you also got plenty who discount the W-L record.   You got a lot of different things in the soup depending on whose making the argument.  Some are on completion percentage.  Bayless is obsessed with QBR.  Some are obsessed with playoff records.   Different strokes. 

Does Alex have defenders for his play this season -- yeah some, guys like Deion Sanders will swear by him.  Plenty more think he has played poorly and don't attribute the Redskins wins to Alex's play or that he was an essential part of them. 

Are you on an island with your point of view.   Nope.  Are you in the minority trying to sell that Alex's play and the Redskins winning went hand in hand -- I got no doubt about you being in the minority.  I don't even thinking the Redskins coaching staff agrees with you.   But heck I don't fault people for having outlier positions but since you asked if QBs are judged differently, I am just responding to that point. 

I do think you are on an island though by how you sell it.   Some other people here explained a similar point to yours (and have even tried to help you on that front by giving their own clear position) but do it in a linear way where you can debate it in a straight forward way.   You move around so much on your point that you can't be pinned down in the process where someone can never have the right answer in response because of all the wiggling back.  It reminds me a lot of this scene from this movie 

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Overly consumed is relative, but yes, I do agree it has value in this discussion. 

I think it has value.  But I am not going on and on and on and defining the dude by it like you've been doing.  It would be like me repeating to death that accuracy and completion percentage is the be all and end all in post after post -- yeah I think people would get then I am valuing it a lot versus me just want to make a case that hey that's important, too.  😎

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

How Alex is being put in category of mediocre and Blake Bortles makes zero sense. 3 different teams have put winning formulas around Alex and his philosophy/approach supports this formula. 

Because that's how he played THIS YEAR.   You'd think with some of this discussion that we are debating Alex's career.  I don't give a rats behind about what he did in SF and KC but to play along yeah he did have some down years there similar to his season here.    I am not judging Josh Norman about his career at Carolina but as a Redskins.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

I quickly went and looked at 2017 wins for Alex, I think we both can agree he’s beaten the elites or guys just outside the elite previous to 2017. 

He's beaten some of the elite QBs, he's lost to some of the dreg QBs of the league, too.  Welcome to the NFL.   The point isn't about exceptions but norms.  And as I said in the last post, I don't care about 2017 Alex.  I care about Alex on the Redskins.  I've said a gazillion times if people want to push the narrative that he would have improved, I'd take that ride, its plausible.  But I can just judge on what I've seen so far.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

You’ve made the analogy numerous times, I get it. I view it as a slight against Alex,

It is.  Sorry.  But you are taking it too literally.  I explain the point I was trying to make.  If you want to engage in debates about whether he's been better than other mediocre to bad QBs -- got no interest in that -- isn't that a bit boring?  how bad is bad?  What's the point of that?

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

If argument is the ceiling isn’t a Super Bowl, then you got me, as he’s not been able to win one or come close for 5 plus years. I believe his floor is higher than QBs in his tier, but ceiling not as high. Thoughts on that? 

Sure.  But by tier meaning 18-25.  His ceiling is lower, too. 

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Yes, winning with a run game and defense is difficult and not as impactful in today’s NFL, but it still has value and beats the alternative of trying to emulate the elite QBs without an elite QB, in my opinion. 

You don't have to be elite to win games via the passing game.  You have to be an above average QB -- Alex was not that IMO this year.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

Attempting to give zero credit (or a mediocre QB) to his team’s successes in that past is wrong. 

To explain this point which I've done multiple times and define credit is a no win proposition for anyone who responds to your point on it -- so I won't bother here.  But I've responded to this many times.

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

He’s an average to above average QB who needs other units to be average to above to win. He cannot carry a team. He’s not elite. 

you zig and zag when cornered to him playing below average, average, to above average depending on your post.  Yeah I know the above average is moving the goal post from how you saw his play BEFORE the season versus now.  But how is that relevant?  Are we supposed to move in time from 2018 to 2017 as if the two years are interchangeable. you can call that nuance but to me it comes off like you want to win a debate versus really discuss this stuff.😎

Just now, Morneblade said:

We were winning in spite of Alex. Once the running game died and the defense went from top 5 to middle of the pack, the wheels came off. Before the injury. Fact of the matter is that Colt isn't a good QB either, but he will at least stretch the field. And you have to do that in the NFL.

Good thing because you dont win with a QB who likes to routinely pass it to the other team. I swear some of yous would rather see a 40 yard int instead of a 5 yard check down, even if we lose because of it.

Which is how "he only had 4 days to practice", becomes a legitimate defense of a guy who spent 4 years on a team as the primary back up. 

Its absurd. 

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Good thing because you dont win with a QB who likes to routinely pass it to the other team. I swear some of yous would rather see a 40 yard int instead of a 5 yard check down, even if we lose because of it.

If we are going to lose, be it a 40 yard int or a 5 yard completion, I would rather it be the 40 interception, 10 out of 10 times. I would prefer to see my team put it on the line and TRY to make plays than turn over on their bellies and accept the loss like a castrated dog (Alex Smith) without even looking to try for a comeback. Alex Smith has always and will always be ok never trying to win games from behind. That is an absolute NO GO in my book. That is the attitude of a loser.

If you think Alex Smith plays opposite of that statement, I recommend you watch the games this season when we were down, he doesnt even look to go for big plays. He seemed content to check down into a loss. He even smiled after a few three and outs. I am glad he is not our QB anymore (for this season at least, hopefully for good).

Now Colt McCoy isn't an upgrade in terms of skillset, but in terms of fun to watch and the nutz to go for it, Colt has a big ol' leg over Alex Smith. If it were not for Alex Smith's 1st overall draft pedigree, he would have been a career backup QB. There is absolutely no denying that. He has no QB1 traits whatsoever.

Archived