Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Josh Norman slams Redskins fans after road win: 'They boo everything'

NewCliche21

Norman had a legitimate point, but he made some on the team and in the organization cringe. It wasn’t just because, after factoring in all that these fans have been through the past two decades, their patience, loyalty and passion should be considered bulletproof. In expressing his frustration, Norman inadvertently touched another nerve: The franchise’s sad culture of wanting credit before it has done anything to warrant it.

Norman actually isn’t the type to settle; he seldom seems content. But over the years, Washington has had too many players — and even coaches and executives — who couldn’t handle success because they viewed it as an item on a checklist and not a mentality that requires constant investment. That is why they have gone 26 years without making repeat visits to the playoffs. That is why they struggle to put together winning streaks and keep the right core together for long periods of time.

In the taxing pursuit of sustainable success, they don’t just ask, “Are we there yet?” Many times, they’ve declared, “We’re there! Hail us!” And it has led to inevitable embarrassment.

But this culture of premature credit may be over because many fans are refusing to play that game. The season began with small crowds and booing. Even as Washington has shown its improvement, public enthusiasm doesn’t match the typical 6-3 team because this isn’t the typical 6-3 team. These fans once watched a 6-2, Jim Zorn-coached team fall apart. They like what the current team is establishing, but it would be nice, for once, if Washington finished the job.

So there will be no midseason parades. The franchise seemed to be onto something three years ago, when it elevated Kirk Cousins to starting quarterback and won the NFC East. But they couldn’t repeat the good of that team. They couldn’t get Cousins to sign a long-term contract as both sides basically squabbled over who deserved the credit — the player or the system — for Cousins’s development. Now, they’re trying something new with Alex Smith and a bunch of sledgehammers on their offensive and defensive lines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-players-and-fans-can-agree-on-this-this-time-build-something-that-lasts/2018/11/16/360b6d7c-e9ce-11e8-bbdb-72fdbf9d4fed_story.html?utm_term=.92ad6c8b483d

? this about sums up my feelings with this team. I can’t even explain how I feel about this team for being called all kinds of fun things by other skins fans who feel we should support the product on the field no matter what. 

I honestly miss the days of my youth when the skins lost the players would look sad or at least bothered by the fact they were losing. Them smiling and laughing on the sidelines while they are losing frustrates me.

they used to play the sport for the love of it, now they play for the money. 

I probably haven’t posted here in over almost a decade but wanted to give the post my 2 cents. I’ve been a Redskins fan since the early 80s, I bled burgundy and gold. I’ve been as loyal as they come. But after 2 plus decades of heartbreak, poor play, embarrassment, now I’m indifferent. I stopped going to the games. I stopped being invested emotionally, I rarely even watch them play anymore because after all these years I found that there were much better ways to spend my time. I will always love the redskins and always have great memories of their glory years. But they’re long gone now and this isn’t the team I love anymore. We lived off of nostalgia for a long time but they can’t be surprised at all that eventually we would all move on. 

So, for anyone that attends games regularly, could you tell a difference in the crowd support yesterday? Hard to tell from telecast, but you could still see plenty of empty seats. I suspect less Houston fans than other teams also?

Both Norman and DJ were walking back their comments on twitter yesterday. Well they didn't exactly walk them back, more like complimenting the fan support. I suspect they realized they went too far or the FO came down on them.

1 minute ago, DJD2 said:

So, for anyone that attends games regularly, could you tell a difference in the crowd support yesterday? Hard to tell from telecast, but you could still see plenty of empty seats. I suspect less Houston fans than other teams also?

I was at the game yesterday, albeit from a different vantage point of being in the 200s vice my normal perch in the club level. I really enjoyed the atmosphere down there,

However, the lower level has been full all season long. The club level and upper level were their same deserted selves. And yes, seemed like far less Houston fans than normally show up for the opposition.  There were the same overall number of folks there as there have been all year, sans the Dallas game.

My take is that the crowd probably appeared better yesterday because the game was competitive longer. The ATL game got out of hand early.  The Carolina game was probably the best comp for yesterday's, and I was not at that one.

I didn't get too upset at Norman's comments last week. I didn't know what he was talking about when it came to the booing.....haven't heard much of that at all this season. But if he was trying to get more people to come out yesterday.....and his giving away the 50 seats was a nice gesture.....it didn't work. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

This Norman quote was from November (back when we had at least some fans coming to the stadium) :P 

On TV it looked like noticeable empties in the lower level, but the club and uppers didn't look much worse than they have all season.

The Redskins need to do something for next season. Lowering prices would be nice. 

I tip my hat to any fan resolute enough to even go to the game today.  It was cold and gray and we all knew what the outcome would be.  Maybe we didn't know that it was going to be an epic blowout, but anyone thinking it would be a win should seek a mental health professional.

Personally, I'm too jaded, too cynical, too sad, and far to tired of Snyder's bull**** to ever consider going to another game, ever again.  Not with free 50 yd line, front row seats, free food, and three cheerleaders of my choice to accompany me.

If Dip**** Dan doesn't realize that we are just milimeters above rock bottom, he is one dumb son of a ****.

Archived