Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Josh Norman slams Redskins fans after road win: 'They boo everything'

NewCliche21

I went to a game at Fed ex this year. I used Metro to get there. Wasn't bad. Don't drink so didn't pay $10 beer. Bottomless soda a good deal. Stadium is old and will be interested to see where it ends up. Redskins have called several times since I inquired about tickets. I watch games every Sunday in a local skins bar and would miss that group of people if went to every home game. On top of airfare, hotel,food and ticket cost. I am planning at least one trip a year to Fed ex now that I figured how to get there. Also an away game. Love the Redskin Rally and meeting friends I see at West coast games. For me not having the opportunity to be in the stadium every home game it was a treat. Visiting a lot of away stadiums I see things that can be improved, and things not as bad as represented. Like the way the on field product headed too.

1 hour ago, NewCliche21 said:

1)  Yeah, the Patriots have been to seven Super Bowls and won five in the past 18 years.  They've been a lock for the divisional if not conference championship every year.  They benched their corner in the Super Bowl for whatever reason that must not be much of a deal if it hasn't leaked. 

We have won a playoff game.  Which organization do you want to emulate?

2)  Yeah, it's frowned upon when it makes the organization look bad.  That's not new or exclusive to the NFL.

3)  I don't think he should be benched, maybe fined, but preferably (a bit after posting this initially with no sleep) a talk from Gruden basically saying, "Josh, cut it out."  And that being that.

I agree that he should be reprimanded by Jay but the original post said that he should have "been suspended for the game" just for speaking his mind which I thought was a rather drastic measure. Plus it's "Club Jay". Jay don't suspend nobody. "Player's coach" 

15 minutes ago, ak2vegas said:

I went to a game at Fed ex this year. I used Metro to get there. Wasn't bad. Don't drink so didn't pay $10 beer. Bottomless soda a good deal. Stadium is old and will be interested to see where it ends up. Redskins have called several times since I inquired about tickets. I watch games every Sunday in a local skins bar and would miss that group of people if went to every home game. On top of airfare, hotel,food and ticket cost. I am planning at least one trip a year to Fed ex now that I figured how to get there. Also an away game. Love the Redskin Rally and meeting friends I see at West coast games. For me not having the opportunity to be in the stadium every home game it was a treat. Visiting a lot of away stadiums I see things that can be improved, and things not as bad as represented. Like the way the on field product headed too.

I always like to see the same ES regulars too at the tailgate. They are very good people, Pez and Huly and some of the other regulars that I see often. I feel good when seeing the same people time and time again at the tailgate. We may not win but damn it I had fun eating good food and getting drunk prior! 

53 minutes ago, Alexa said:

We don't have one superstar on this team. Not one. 

I'm not sure I follow why it matters if we have a superstar. I've watched the NFL for 35 years...it seems that there have always been 3 groups of teams:

1) Championship Caliber Teams

2) Teams with Superstars

3) Everyone Else

#1 and #2 are not mutually exclusive, but you need at least one of those two things to be relevant. If you don't have one or both of them, you're irrelevant. Back in the 1980s there were teams like the Redskins, Giants, 49ers, etc. who were contenders. We, for example, didn't really have stars. The Giants had LT and the 49ers had Joe Cool. But, there were teams who weren't really serious Super Bowl contenders who had personalities or stars...the Eagles of the late-1980s had Reggie White and Randall (plus their coach was a nutbag). The Saints were famous for their awesome linebackers and Ironhead. The Dolphins had Dan Marino. But there were also teams like the Cardinals or Bucs who really didn't bring anything to the table. 

Back to 2018 and the point...we are currently NOT a sexy team. We have AP but he's past his prime. We have some nice pieces on D but they aren't household names. We have Alex Smith, who is essentially the football player version of vanilla (not even vanilla bean) ice cream. But....we are 6-3 and have a great shot at winning the division. So, that's something. Next year, if we're 8-8 but Guice becomes the next big thing, we are still relevant. If we fall to 8-8 and Guice is just a guy then we teeter on the edge of being irrelevant again. 

It's the years like 2011 that are dangerous to a franchise and put you firmly into category 3. We were bad and we had NO ONE of interest on our team. We've been that plenty through the years...

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

In the next few years watch Swearinger become a household name especially if he continues his play. Norman is also a relatively household name although who knows about his future after this year. 

Eh...a top-5ish safety is never going to move the needle. Ronnie Lott is the only safety I can think of who was a household name (I know that everyone is going to tell me that Sean Taylor was, but I would argue that the tragedy of his death made him 10x more famous than he was in October, 2007). 

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

When Skins fans want to travel... we rival the best in sports.  The proof in that was the way we took over Canton for Darrell Green and Art Monk's HOF induction.  I also hear regular referrals to Tampa and Carolina as 'Fedex South.'  I heard the showing, as you mentioned, in New Orleans was also impressive.... 

The classic was for the 2005 Playoffs.  The Skins were scheduled to play TB in TB.  Tampa Bay instituted some sort of "special security code" for the purchase of tickets to "prevent" out-of-town fans from the Skins buying tickets.  Somebody got this "security code" and posted it on ExtremeSkins.  As I recall, a large number of Skins fans used it and literally made it "FedEx-South"............

That is a good column by Svrluga which really gets at the heart of the problem and it is the new attendance issue.  A bunch of season ticket holders probably bolted because they figured they would get tickets cheaper on Stubhub. And this season the new guys the Skins brought in (Lafemina, Ziff) made it so that nobody was going to be able to buy a ticket on Stubhub for cheaper than what the Skins are charging for single-game tickets (excepting the club level). so now you have fewer people attending. 

8 minutes ago, thelongestbreath said:

Brian Dawkins

God I hated that guy.... 

A little before my time but some old timers might argue this ranked #2 on top 15 safeties all time.

Ken Houston was the total package at safety. As a tackler, the 6-foot-3, 200-pound Houston always dealt a stinging blow at the point of attack. In pass coverage, this ballhawk often appeared at the right time and at the right place, as he racked up 49 interceptions during his 14-year career with the Washington Redskins and Houston Oilers. Ken Houston simply had a nose for the ball — and the end zone.

Houston’s 1971 record of five touchdown returns (four interceptions and one touchdown) was to stand for 35 years. As an all-around performer, Houston was to close out his career recovering 21 fumbles and scoring 12 touchdowns. He scored upon 9 interceptions, alongside one punt return, one fumble recovery, and one blocked field goal.

Lol, those are some pretty insane stats, going to have to watch some cut ups.

3 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Eh...a top-5ish safety is never going to move the needle. Ronnie Lott is the only safety I can think of who was a household name (I know that everyone is going to tell me that Sean Taylor was, but I would argue that the tragedy of his death made him 10x more famous than he was in October, 2007). 

Given the number of players that said they idolized his play and those that outright respected the hell out of him while he was playing, I respectfully disagree.  The other names mentioned after your post kinda speaks to your first sentence.

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Given the number of players that said they idolized his play and those that outright respected the hell out of him while he was playing, I respectfully disagree.  The other names mentioned after your post kinda speaks to your first sentence.

I agree with your post about Sean, but I disagree with that comment afterwards, I bet if I ask my wife who Ed or Troy is she will know they are football players.  Im not sure she could name anyone one currently on the redskins other than Alex Smith and AP, even though she watch's bits an pieces every week. And has to listen to me carry on... She might not even get AP, just because he isnt associated with us...

9 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

I agree with your post about Sean, but I disagree with that comment afterwards, I bet if I ask my wife who Ed or Troy is she will know they are football players.  Im not sure she could name anyone one currently on the redskins other than Alex Smith and AP, even though she watch's bits an pieces every week. And has to listen to me carry on... She might not even get AP, just because he isnt associated with us...

Not sure what household name means in this conversation then if AP doesn't count.  Dude is going to the hall of fame, a lot of the safeties mentioned after TD's post will as well if they aren't already.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Not sure what household name means in this conversation then if AP doesn't count.  Dude is going to the hall of fame, a lot of the safeties mentioned after TD's post will as well if they aren't already.

I wasnt clear, she may not know hes actually on the redskins at the moment, she will know the same about him he a football player, guess I was mixing 2 things together.

And you cant tell me most of the nation doesnt remember the hair guy bringing the pain....

2 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

I wasnt clear, she may not know hes actually on the redskins at the moment, she will know the same about him he a football player, guess I was mixing 2 things together.

Ya, I think I'm just going to step away from this one : )

They better win this Sunday, calling us out like this, last thing I really want to say on this topic.  I better not here they lost because it wasn't loud enough, they should be ridiculed for that, just own it and go to the next game, quickly.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya, I think I'm just going to step away from this one : )

They better win this Sunday, calling us out like this, last thing I really want to say on this topic.  I better not here they lost because it wasn't loud enough, they should be ridiculed for that, just own it and go to the next game, quickly.

No worries bro just friendly banter, we can agree to disagree. I think we have a very difficult match up, and this wasnt likely the week for that story, lol.

Keim weighing in on facebook

10. While we can list a number of reasons why fans aren’t showing up, for players they just know seats are empty. They’re not always clued in as to why that might be the case – or what the organization strategy is in terms of selling tickets. Any player wants their home stadium to be a feared place to play. Any fan wants the same. Tickets are damn expensive so that leads to business decisions by fans if: the team isn’t winning; the experience isn’t great and the team just might not be beloved by them anymore. We all make decisions that suit our needs. But the bottom line is that FedEx is not a good venue for the Redskins. The players can do their part by continuing to win. I’ve long thought the organization had some work to do to win back some of the fan base; winning helps but there are plenty who want to like the organization again. Too often, based on what I hear from people on social media, is that the organization provides reasons to drive people away.

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim weighing in on facebook

But the bottom line is that FedEx is not a good venue for the Redskins. 

You're right John, it really isn't anymore.

Earlier in the year we heard rumblings that a location for the new stadium should be announced by the end of 2018. I hope that is still the case, and that when that decision is made, construction starts in earnest soon after. In the meantime, might as well remove about 6-8 more rows from the upper deck and tarp over more sections in the club level. It is pretty obvious the demand just isn't there anymore. 

There are some many things wrong, the venue really does suck, no real metro, there are too many seats with bad views, traffic coming and going sucks, i can see why fans are turned off from that.  I also can see why the promise of a good or even decent team keeps turning into nothing, I struggle to keep my daughter a skins fan, I think the only reason she stays one is to be the underdog, rather than give in and be a Ravens fan. There are so many other reasons why this is happening, but hopefully dumb ass Dan hears it and makes a change...

Archived