Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Josh Norman slams Redskins fans after road win: 'They boo everything'

NewCliche21

18 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

How long have you been in section 221?

Been there since 2008 just got another pair in 220 this year so I have bounced back and forth between sections this year with my people depending on who is coming with us. 

At the ATL game you could hear the Falcons fans calling out their stupid "rise up" chants as well as ATL !! ATL !!  ATL !!! at halftime. That really rolls off the toungue doesn't it. No wonder they suck and effed up every post season they ever made. 

They also chanted HOOOOPER every time Austin Hooper made a play, much like the FEDEX crowd did when CC 47 made a play. Maybe that is the booing Norman is referring to. 

I don't know, I really almost never hear our fans booing this team. Maybe that's because I am usually screaming my guts out. I will tell you this, the fans in 220 are a bunch of little kittens. If you are familiar with this part of the stadium you know that it is the "Stomping Zone" at row 14 back to the rear of the mezzanine the stairs and aisles are constructed out of steel plates and not concrete, this creates hollow spots where you can stomp your foot and create a very loud drum-like effect. Two stomps followed by D-FENSE !  Row 19 stair produces an especially loud effect. At any rate, during the ATL game I tried repeatedly to get others to join in and make some noise on third down to no avail. Just a sign of the times I guess. Timid kids with their faces in their cell phones. Do what you like I guess.    

6 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

Been there since 2008 just got another pair in 220 this year so I have bounced back and forth between sections this year with my people depending on who is coming with us. 

At the ATL game you could hear the Falcons fans calling out their stupid "rise up" chants as well as ATL !! ATL !!  ATL !!! at halftime. That really rolls off the toungue doesn't it. No wonder they suck and effed up every post season they ever made. 

They also chanted HOOOOPER every time Austin Hooper made a play, much like the FEDEX crowd did when CC 47 made a play. Maybe that is the booing Norman is referring to. 

I don't know, I really almost never hear our fans booing this team. Maybe that's because I am usually screaming my guts out. I will tell you this, the fans in 220 are a bunch of little kittens. If you are familiar with this part of the stadium you know that it is the "Stomping Zone" at row 14 back to the rear of the mezzanine the stairs and aisles are constructed out of steel plates and not concrete, this creates hollow spots where you can stomp your foot and create a very loud drum-like effect. Two stomps followed by D-FENSE !  Row 19 stair produces an especially loud effect. At any rate, during the ATL game I tried repeatedly to get others to join in and make some noise on third down to no avail. Just a sign of the times I guess. Timid kids with their faces in their cell phones. Do what you like I guess.    

We've probably high five'd then because I had season tickets... 221, Row 20, seat 1 and 2 for about 5 years.... Trying to think back I can't remember if 07 or 08 was my last season.... It's actually where I got my name... OVC = Obstructed View Crew.  

Regarding the STOMPING ZONE, it was a thing of beauty.  that whole section used to get involved (including someone slapping the side of the metal that was wrapped around the pillar...  It was impossible to hear anything else outside of that area because of it.... and it was great.  I don't know what that sounded like in other area's of the stadium, but it made an impact there. 

I didn't realize that the stomping zone was right there until I went over to 220 and move back from Row 8 in 221 to Row 13 in 220.  The whole area is a ghost town this season its really strange. Great place to be especially when it rains.

19 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Regarding the STOMPING ZONE, it was a thing of beauty.  that whole section used to get involved (including someone slapping the side of the metal that was wrapped around the pillar...  It was impossible to hear anything else outside of that area because of it.... and it was great.  I don't know what that sounded like in other area's of the stadium, but it made an impact there. 

Things that I like from the players this week:  Engagement with the fans, particularly in giving away tix.  I think a lot of people agree with Norman from the fanbase so hopefully this week, where a team that isn't local or has a large history comes in we have a good home field.

1 minute ago, TheBlueIndian said:

I didn't realize that the stomping zone was right there until I went over to 220 and move back from Row 8 in 221 to Row 13 in 220.  The whole area is a ghost town this season its really strange. Great place to be especially when it rains.

And when it's hot, but adversely terrible when its cold.  The wind would come straight through that section from the back regardless of what the wind conditions on the field.  

A small part of me still thinks that wind had something to do with Novak's FG twisting in after the ST fumble return.  That kick was right in front of us with us to the right of those goal posts. 

14 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

And when it's hot, but adversely terrible when its cold.  The wind would come straight through that section from the back regardless of what the wind conditions on the field.  

A small part of me still thinks that wind had something to do with Novak's FG twisting in after the ST fumble return.  That kick was right in front of us with us to the right of those goal posts. 

My top three Redskins wins!!

Norman needs a thicker skin, when the team is getting stomped and playing below expectations they should be happy that we care enough about them to show our displeasure with the results in the game. I cheer loudly but when they stink have no problem letting them know it and hopefully will light a fire under their butts to play better

Craig Hoffman indicated he interviewed Brian Lafemina today and that snippets of the interview will be played on the various 106.7 shows tomorrow and the whole interview will be aired at 1030 am Sunday. Will be curious to hear what questions he asked Lafemina, and in particular what the Skins brass thinks of the half-empty club and upper levels so far. 

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Looks like lots of players are being Santa this weekend to get the players out to the game. If anyone sees Norman on the streets, shoot me a message and I’ll make my way there fast to get a ticket!! :D 

or someone here can get an extra ticket and meet me somewhere with it ??‍♂️???

#metoo!!

6 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Looks like lots of players are being Santa this weekend to get the players out to the game. If anyone sees Norman on the streets, shoot me a message and I’ll make my way there fast to get a ticket!! :D 

Norman

Sweringer

Zach Brown

SHC

I forgot one.

Interesting that I've only heard of D guys doing it.

On 11/13/2018 at 2:07 PM, HardcoreZorn said:

I wasn't around for the glory years, but I don't ever remember thinking or hearing those teams were littered with super stars. At least not in the traditional sense.

I mean 3 Super Bowls in a decade and what, 3 HOF? Green Riggo and Monk? Don't ever remember learning the Redskins had the flashiest of players and a bunch of super stars. Just great teams.

Maybe I'm wrong, Idk. I think guys like Guice, Allen, Payne have the potential to be stars in this league though. Peterson is the closest thing we have now, and even though he's 33 and a one year rental, he's doing star things. Just unconventional how it happened but we shouldn't discredit his accomplishments thus far.

Um those teams had a lot of great players. Just cause they're not in the HOF doesn't mean they were not great players. Jacoby was a great player for a real long time. Dexter, Butz, Daryl Grant, Mann, Lachey, Gary Clark was actually the more feared WR than Monk, Ricky Sanders, ... I could go on and on. 

Loverro making the case that the putrid offense is keeping people home.  I get his point but I doubt it.  

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/nov/15/redskins-fans-who-stay-home-prefer-style-over-subs/?fbclid=IwAR0Ks-aZ8uHPYgX6YEkTR5-WhlQDZEpcsWCJKK-r4j1MIt-vdx_nmwGqjFM

Will they come out to support the most lackluster 6-3 team in recent NFL memory, one that, in a league fueled by offense, putters along at an average of 19.6 points per game?

They better play well against the Houston Texans, the 6-3 team they are facing with six consecutive wins. And they better play well early. If this team has a stinker in it like it did the last time Redskins fans came to the stadium — a 38-14 loss to the Atlanta Falcons — Josh Norman, D.J. Swearinger and company will surely hear some noise from the fans. They might want to cover their ears since they seem to be offended so easily.

Fan support, or lack of it, has dominated the discussion in town this week far more than the fact that the Redskins have a two-game lead in the NFC East, with the rest of the division seemingly imploding and a favorable path for Washington to the playoffs. Among many good reasons for lack of support from a damaged and fatigued fan base, one that emerged that has startled some is that this 6-3 team is pretty boring, and that some fans would rather watch a more exciting offensive team lose than a comatose offensive team win.

That would be a disturbing admission for most fans, who might think winning ugly would be more compelling than losing dynamically. It is the argument of style over substance, and we seem to live in an age where the points that matter the most are style points.

What if I told you that was nothing new? What if I said that 50 years ago, the Redskins were the other side of the coin — an offensive show with a defensive sieve — and lost? Yet people showed up on Sundays to watch them play.

Not only showed up, but showed up in record numbers. The reality is that the famous Redskin sellout streak — officially put to rest by the team this year with the acknowledgment of the 57,000 people who were there for the first home game, a 21-9 loss to the Indianapolis Colts — began and grew not with winning teams, but losing ones? Losing ones that were a lot of fun to watch.

It appears that the Redskins’ sellouts may have begun in November 1966, most likely in a wild 31-30 shootout loss to the Dallas Cowboys. Sonny Jurgensen completed 26 of 46 passes for 347 yards and three touchdown. Charley Taylor caught 11 passes for 199 yards, while Jerry Smith caught six for 81 and Bobby Mitchell pulled down six for 51 yards.

The crowd for that game at D.C. Stadium was reported at 50,927. And every home game after that in 1966, the crowds were always over 50,000, with the number varying. That continued into the 1967 season, and on and on. The sellout streak became a myth in recent years at FedEx Field, but its roots began not with the arrival of Vince Lombardi in 1969 or George Allen in 1971, but instead during the first year Otto Graham coached the team in 1966.

There was some excitement about the arrival of Graham, the legendary Cleveland Browns Hall of Fame quarterback. And you could make the case that, like the last 20 years of Dan Snyder’s dysfunctional ownership that has driven away fans, the years leading up to 1966 were equally a disaster under George Preston Marshall, if not worse.

In the 20 years since Washington had last made the playoffs — 1945 — the Redskins had just three winning seasons, with the last one coming in 1954. So any signs of hope would perhaps fill D.C. Stadium, then in its sixth year. A 7-7 season appeared to have done just that — but it was not a winning season.

Neither was 1967 — a 5-6-3 record — but the fans filled the stadium. And they did the same thing in 1968 — Graham’s last year as coach — as Washington posted a 5-9 record.

They were coming to see Sonny throw the ball all over the field.

Fans were coming to see points scored — the third-ranked offense in the NFL in 1966, scoring 351 points, and the second-ranked passing game, including a record 72-41 victory over the New York Giants. The next year, the fifth-ranked offense, scoring 347 points and the top-ranked passing offense in the league. And while the offensive production dropped in 1968 to 249 points — 11th in the NFL — the passing offense was still the fifth most productive.

“I don’t think there was anybody in the league that could compete with us offensively,” Taylor told me in an interview for my book, “Hail Victory: An Oral History of the Washington Redskins.”

He continued, “It was just that we couldn’t stop anybody defensively. We had some great defensive players but we had some holes that we just couldn’t shore up. But we were unstoppable offensively. We had a guy with a great arm and no fear at quarterback, but we would lose games 35-33, scores like that.”

A damaged fan base that endured years of suffering. A high-scoring one-sided team that didn’t win. And fans showed up in record numbers.

That was 50 years ago.

Today, you have a damaged fan base that has also endured years of suffering. Another one-sided team — except this one is winning, this time it’s because of the defensive side of the ball.

And fans are staying home.

4 hours ago, Alexa said:

Um those teams had a lot of great players. Just cause they're not in the HOF doesn't mean they were not great players. Jacoby was a great player for a real long time. Dexter, Butz, Daryl Grant, Mann, Lachey, Gary Clark was actually the more feared WR than Monk, Ricky Sanders, ... I could go on and on. 

Absolutely

And the number of stars on the 91 team was insane... the problem is that the team was so good, and they were so good at what they did, nobody stood out.   

12 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Bro, you're a machine. I remember when like yesterday you were under 1,000 posts lol! Props :headbang:

This is why I ultimately like Norman. He talks A LOT, but he doesn't JUST talk. First of all, he's having a really nice season and has been a good player for us (not a superstar) since he arrived. Secondly, the dude puts his words into action. He's about as involved as it gets. Purchasing the tickets and giving them away is a very cool thing to do-- and I like that he isn't apologizing for his comments either. He's doing BOTH-- he's standing by what he said AND he's actually trying to do something positive about it. I like it. 

As noted in the ticket prices thread, prices on Stubhub for this game appear to be the lowest they've been all season, so hopefully having to shell out less cash, combined with the game between two 6-3 teams, will motivate people to come out.

Funny thing is that, if you believe the numbers, paid attendance has been going up throughout the season (kind of excluding the Dallas game because you know that one will always be at least close to capacity).  But its tough to tell from being there due to all of the empties in the club and upper deck.

On 11/15/2018 at 10:16 AM, djdunick said:

Norman needs a thicker skin, when the team is getting stomped and playing below expectations they should be happy that we care enough about them to show our displeasure with the results in the game. I cheer loudly but when they stink have no problem letting them know it and hopefully will light a fire under their butts to play better

I found some humor in this...

Norman, one of 100 or so players/coaches representing the Redskins should have a thicker skin when being boo'd at home. Yet, @djdunick , one of thousands of fans (of which Norman was referring to a small sub-set who a) go to games and b) boo) is OK getting upset about Norma's comments. 

Odd logic. 

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A damaged fan base that endured years of suffering. A high-scoring one-sided team that didn’t win. And fans showed up in record numbers.

That was 50 years ago.

Yes, but RFK only sat about 50,000 for football in those days and weren't the games blacked out in the DC area anyways?  Additionally, the Skins had several future HOF players on their roster....Jurgenson, Taylor, Mitchell, and Huff.

Other than Peterson, I can't think of anybody on the current roster who could be in the HOF.  Anyways, I don't think he's comparing apples to apples here.

EDIT:  BTW, the 1960's games WERE blacked out.  The blackout rule was lifted for sellouts starting in 1973.

Even after the NFL-AFL merger was consummated in 1970, commissioner Pete Rozelle refused to lift local TV blackouts. As late as December 1972, Rozelle said, "We feel it is enough to bring the fan his seven road games for his home team and bring him other games when his team is at home," adding that "even the possibility that a game might be televised could hurt ticket sales."

Never mind that a Bears fan who lived within driving distance of Rockford, Milwaukee or South Bend, or in Chicago with a powerful rooftop antenna, could already watch Bears home games and not buy tickets.

The home blackouts were finally lifted in 1973 with the "72-hour rule", meaning that a game had to be sold out 72 hours in advance before the local blackout was lifted.

https://chicago.sbnation.com/2010/9/14/1686025/a-brief-history-of-nfl-blackouts

Archived