Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At 5-3 We Are Now Officially Trapped

kleese

If we beat the Bucs, I feel for some reason it will carry on to the Texans here at home. Cowboys, Eagles twice, and the Titans I feel are our next 4 losses. Looks like it's going to be about 9-7 and hoping that will get us into a WC. If we lose to the Bucs, I'm afraid it's all downhill from there. 

1 minute ago, BleedBNG said:

If we beat the Bucs, I feel for some reason it will carry on to the Texans here at home. Cowboys, Eagles twice, and the Titans I feel are our next 4 losses. Looks like it's going to be about 9-7 and hoping that will get us into a WC. If we lose to the Bucs, I'm afraid it's all downhill from there. 

Wait...how the **** do we lose to Dallas?? They just lost 28-14 to the titans ? we’ll be just fine on thanksgiving day :D 

Just now, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wait...how the **** do we lose to Dallas?? They just lost 28-14 to the titans ? we’ll be just fine on thanksgiving day :D 

I know, I love it ? but I still feel it's harder to beat them in Dallas... especially after a short week. Must be the past talking to me. 

44 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

What's wrong with being a fan of Alex Smith and the Redskins?..no one cares about your opinion on rather others have opinions about others opinions..

Nothing wrong with being an Alex fan. I know his history and have no problem with him at all. 

I don’t give a flying woohah what his pulse is for the rest of the season and what his hope is for this team.

Does he have an idea how big the rest of this season is to the rest of the Redskins and their fans? 

The feeling of impending doom is familiar, but it hurts even more when the team gets out to a good start.

Looking back at the playoff berths starting with Gibbs 2.0, it has always involved a .500ish start through 10 games, and a winning streak to end the season.  It was pretty required every single time in order to get in.

Contrast that with say Zorn's 6-2 start, or this 5-2, start where circumstances suggest that a possible drop off a cliff could be on the horizon.

At the same time, at 5-3, and the Cowboys just taking a loss on MNF......the Redskins are still very much in the conversation.  Until further notice, they are a 1st place team.  Maybe they start piling on losses, maybe they don't, but they are in a position as of now to control their own destiny and that has to count for something.

It think at this point it comes down to the D carrying this team, especially until Trent gets back... if they can maybe slow the next couple of games down and chew clock on offense, give the defense a chance to not constantly be on the field, and the defense really performs at a very high level, they might have a shot (a very unlikely one) at pulling off a wildcard spot. 

I really don't like the looks of Tampa from what I've seen of how they play. I don't think the matchup is great for us (at least for our offense, and especially after the O-line decimation). They seem to be intent on playing to stop the run first no matter what, even when they're getting burnt by the pass, over and over again.Their overwhelming weakness is definitely against the pass. We're going to need the very best of ball control Alex Smith, something like Brunnell when he broke the record for consecutive completions in a game with a ton of quick short passes. There is the possibility that Fitztragic will show up instead of Fitzmagic. It will be interesting to see what sort of gameplan there is for that game. 

For the Texans, their O-line gives up lots of sacks and nobody lets their QB get hit more, but one game at a time...

When Gibbs came back I felt like a long lost friend had moved back home.

Things had changed, a lot for him, since he was last here, but he was up for the challenge. Regardless who we were playing, I knew Gibbs would have his players as prepared as he could, so I had some confidence that we had a chance no matter who we played.

Right now the Redskins are 5-3, in 1st place. So why do I feel like the team is on a bridge, and behind them the entry way onto the bridge is on fire, and as they look to the other end, they see smoke? 

To me that would signify hauling ass to the end that's not burned down yet, unknowing of the conditions but in the back of their minds they know they have to do something before the bridge drops into the depths of the Mediocrity River.

Yes, currently they're in 1st place, but for how long? With the o-line being out they are forced to use back-ups and whoever else they can find. Smith will HAVE to start rolling out of the pocket by design or operate out of a 1-3 step drop and throw, or else he will be face to face with a d-lineman [ men ].

This just doesn't feel like a 5-3 team, and I think after the next 3-4 games this lead will have evaporated.

Interesting thing; watch a few of Mariotta's throwing motions, then watch a few of Smith's; these are about as far apart as they can be on mechanics. One has a quick release and the other, well, you could microwave some popcorn before it leaves his hand...

I will keep watching the games.   Looks like Cowboys and Giants will be out of it so it boils down in our division to Eagles and Skins.  We do not know if the Eagles will have more injuries too so we just have to play out the rest of the season and then if we make the playoffs great and if we do not make it then get upset with the direction of this team going into the off season and then for the start of next season.

The Atlanta loss was very disappointing and the injuries were brutal but there's no way I'm giving up on the season. The cowboys losing last night has lifted my spirits again and they have to play the eagles next.

I am a bit of an optimist so I'm looking at us beating the Bucs and the eagles losing giving us a two game lead in the division. But like @kleesepointed out, even if it doesn't play out like that we are still very much in it.

16 hours ago, kleese said:

So, while it might be nice to say “eh, we’re screwed” and check out for the year, I certainly can’t do that.

I feel like we have to be honest, we know what the O line is going to look like based on last year and this year we lack a QB who unloads the ball in 2.5 sec or less but anything can happen.

It doesn't matter for me and never will, I'll go to the grave watching and supporting this team, I have too much invested and I'm not of the bandwagon generation so there's no way in hell I'm rooting for another team or player who left to go to another team.

With that being said there will be frustration but I try my best to point out the positives as well and not just harp on the negative likes Alex or the injured O line, some weeks it's not so easy to do that.

What I always try to remind myself is that after being a fan for 34 years its going to be so fulfilling to grind it out through the bad times and that will make our next run at the Superbowl even sweeter, its gotta happen sooner or later.

People need to realize that some of us are just passionate, you have your posters who are 100% negative all the time, they are what they are but don't get it confused with those of us who have paid our dues and are just frustrated.

21 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

What I always try to remind myself is that after being a fan for 34 years its going to be so fulfilling to grind it out through the bad times and that will make our next run at the Superbowl even sweeter, its gotta happen sooner or later.

I keep saying this to myself too!

As for 2018, I'm sticking with the "you never know" mindset. One of the key reasons that it was important to win EVERY tight game so far was because we'd likely sustain injuries or struggle. We spent September and October building up a buffer. 

Now, if our defense can effectively keep us in 5-6 more games this year, we will have a shot to win a few of those. Odds are we won't win all of them, but again, you never know. Why can't we have a year like the Jags did in 2017? Sure, because we are Redskins fans we feel like this will be much closer to 2008 (started 6-2 and ended 2-6) than something else...but we have 8 games to see!

16 hours ago, c slag said:

It would feel worse if it was the D-line 

That suffered all of the injuries at once 

i was just going to say this. We are winning off of the back of our defense. Does it suck that the OL is now a shambles? Yep. But that isnt how we have been winning anyways. I would expect to see stacked boxes the rest of the season. So Alex Smith is going to have to improve. But the remainder of our schedule is VERY favorable.

6 hours ago, skins island connection said:

Yes, currently they're in 1st place, but for how long? With the o-line being out they are forced to use back-ups and whoever else they can find. Smith will HAVE to start rolling out of the pocket by design or operate out of a 1-3 step drop and throw, or else he will be face to face with a d-lineman [ men ].

This just doesn't feel like a 5-3 team, and I think after the next 3-4 games this lead will have evaporated.

I am ecstatic about this. I have been screaming for it all season. Smith is a dangerous player on the move. That we havent been using him more in boots is shocking to me.

I may not operate under the same level of Redskins glee like “Snyder won’t steal my Sundays” Kleese but I’m “trapped” every year.  No matter the record or situation, I’m always watching. I’m thinking it might be healthy for some of you to actually latch onto the negative expectations.  It makes for a great time when they surprise you.

15 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

There is near 0 chance we beat the bucs unless they sign a huge contract with fitz and he goes into a full on meltdown.  It's more likely fitz puts up 50 than skins put up 30.

17 hours ago, Csup said:

The team is finished.  Without the injuries it had major flaws.  This could push them to finish 3rd in the division.

My concern is Synder will give this season a pass due to the injuries and not make any coaching/front office changes.  It always Groundhog Day with this franchise.

Snyder does not care about winning.  It is a cash cow to him or a dog, a brand that is being harvested and will be sold once the money dries up.  Stop paying for redskins swag and start sending the message, divest now. 

15 hours ago, JPG said:

Nothing wrong with being an Alex fan. I know his history and have no problem with him at all. 

I don’t give a flying woohah what his pulse is for the rest of the season and what his hope is for this team.

Does he have an idea how big the rest of this season is to the rest of the Redskins and their fans? 

This is a message board. He was expressing his thoughts - discussing. Why go after them? Ok, you don't care what they think. Then just leave it alone. There is no barometer of how much a loss or win is painful based on how long or why you are a fan. Dude is now a fan. Maybe without as much of the history - however based on some posts they have done their research and good research. 

And yes, based on their actual posts they have a very good idea how big it is. One of their favorite players is on the team. And they are clearly at least reasonably knowledgeable football fan. 

We not have the market cornered for suffering. If they want to join us, far be it from us to stop them....  ?  

24 minutes ago, MediocreGymnast said:

There is near 0 chance we beat the bucs unless they sign a huge contract with fitz and he goes into a full on meltdown.  It's more likely fitz puts up 50 than skins put up 30.

Snyder does not care about winning.  It is a cash cow to him or a dog, a brand that is being harvested and will be sold once the money dries up.  Stop paying for redskins swag and start sending the message, divest now. 

I am certain Snyder cares about winning. I believe it is his arrogance does not allow him to do it the right way so the team can win. 

I do agree about not buying stuff. I told my family to stop buying me anything to do with Redskins. Unless they are in the playoffs, I will not be going to game at FexEx until Dan is no longer the owner. 

Maybe, just maybe he will stop trying to be a pioneer and do this the right way - Actually hire a true personnel GM and let them hire a HC and draft or sign their QB. 

18 hours ago, bobandweave said:

What the team needs more then anything this weekend is an offensive explosion to take that disgusting taste out of our mouths from yesterday. First chance is Tampa. Let’s go!

Who we throwing the ball to?  Doctson?  :rofl89:

16 hours ago, JPG said:

No offense. But no one cares what you are doing with your rooting habits. 

You are an Alex Smith fan and not of the Redskins who have had a lot more troubles than poor Alex through out his career. 

We are a franchise who has been in turmoill for damn near 30 years. 

So yeah. No one cares about your opinion here, 

Just like nobody cares about your opinion of his opinion........:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

I am ecstatic about this. I have been screaming for it all season. Smith is a dangerous player on the move. That we havent been using him more in boots is shocking to me.

This may be one of the gripes people have about Gruden.

If Smith is better out of the pocket, Gruden sure isn't helping his cause. More than likely another case of Gruden trying to make a player fit his system rather than implementing a quality a player has.

Archived