Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At 5-3 We Are Now Officially Trapped

kleese

16 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wait...how the **** do we lose to Dallas?? They just lost 28-14 to the titans ? we’ll be just fine on thanksgiving day :D 

Because us putting up 28 points is a borderline miracle. I never expect more than 14-20 points from this offense, and that's on a good day. Yeah we put up 31 against the Packers but that was based on one quarter of random ass high offensive production that we haven't seen even nearly replicated before or since so I'm treating it as a fluke until it happens more often. 

As far as the OP I love the optimism and the measured approach but I don't agree that we're "at least" a B so far. I'd say a C. Our offense, outside of 1 quarter noted above, has been pretty much atrocious all season. Our defense has been a bright spot but it seems their dominance only applies to more mediocre run centered offenses as they've gotten absolutely shredded by the two high powered passing offenses we've faced. We've won multiple games by squeaking by after getting a marginal lead and getting lucky. IMO if Dallas had made that FG we would have lost in OT. They had all the momentum and we're probably one of the furthest from a "crunch time" team I can imagine. 

On the upside, our punter is really good.

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@mistertim i didnt suggest we’d score 28 on them. 20 or 21 points should do the trick :) 

also we scored 31 against the packers, not 34. That game was back in September, how can you not remember the score :P 

Oops, good catch...typo there I didn't even notice.

And yeah we don't necessarily need to put up a ton of points but we also have to hope that our D can stifle their run game as well as they did during the first game. After ATL gashed us on the ground I'm a tad less optimistic about that. You know Dallas will be watching film of that game to see what Atlanta did and how to use it to their advantage. 

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Oops, good catch...typo there I didn't even notice.

And yeah we don't necessarily need to put up a ton of points but we also have to hope that our D can stifle their run game as well as they did during the first game. After ATL gashed us on the ground I'm a tad less optimistic about that. You know Dallas will be watching film of that game to see what Atlanta did and how to use it to their advantage. 

Film is important and the NFL is a copycat league, but sometimes I think we overvalue it. If it were THAT easy, wouldn't everyone just do exactly what was done in games their opponents lost? Wouldn't teams be doing to us what the Saints did or doing to Carolina what we did? 

The fact is, every matchup is its own entity and it's not like a team can suddenly just replicate what Atlanta did in the running game. 

3 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

These oyster crackers are far too spicy.

I'm so sick of your Negative Nancy routine, man. Those crackers have a legit shot at being a bit more mild down the stretch of the rest of your drinking season.

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Film is important and the NFL is a copycat league, but sometimes I think we overvalue it. If it were THAT easy, wouldn't everyone just do exactly what was done in games their opponents lost? Wouldn't teams be doing to us what the Saints did or doing to Carolina what we did? 

The fact is, every matchup is its own entity and it's not like a team can suddenly just replicate what Atlanta did in the running game. 

Fair point. If your guys can't win their own 1 on 1 battles in the trenches then it makes the scheme/game plan somewhat moot.

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@mistertim i didnt suggest we’d score 28 on them. 20 or 21 points should do the trick :) 

also we scored 31 against the packers, not 34. That game was back in September, how can you not remember the score :P 

Can you imagine if we just had a fanbase of Cooleyfans? 

We’d have “Attendance Champs” banners to raise in place of the SB titles we’ll never get lol 

17 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Can you imagine if we just had a fanbase of Cooleyfans? 

We’d have “Attendance Champs” banners to raise in place of the SB titles we’ll never get lol 

Seriously. I'm not a fan at all of the Eeyore "we suck" attitudes, but fans of this team should not be chesty about our prospects for having our way with any team, particularly one we nearly just went to OT with and especially after getting our asses kicked on Sunday.

10 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Seriously. I'm not a fan at all of the Eeyore "we suck" attitudes, but fans of this team should not be chesty about our prospects for having our way with any team, particularly one we nearly just went to OT with and especially after getting our asses kicked on Sunday.

You don’t have to ageee with my or others opinions on it ? it’s called a prediction for a reason. That’s why the games are played :D 

now, if it was against another team (such as the Texans, or the eagles, maybe the buccaneers), I would probably right now not be so optimistic about the redskins chances. 

On 11/5/2018 at 11:58 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Wait...how the **** do we lose to Dallas?? They just lost 28-14 to the titans ? we’ll be just fine on thanksgiving day :D 

The Titans are a much better team right now than the Redskins, and even some of the best Redskins teams have struggled in Dallas against some of the worst Cowboys teams.  Other than the Giants, the Redskins game on Thanksgiving may be the only win left for the Cowboys this season, but it is a very strong possibility that it will be an L for us.  Unless Colt is starting that game, I give us less than a 20% chances of leaving with a win.

I will take a stab at it.  We are now 8 games in so the statistics do matter and I am not necessarily talking about wins and losses.  My prediction is 3 and 5 to finish 8 and 8 and obviously miss the playoffs.  First general thoughts.  First half of the season we were 5 and 3.  We did not win any of those games decisively and in fact a couple we were lucky to escape.  Carolina and Dallas come to mind.  Through that stretch we were relatively healthy at the key positions.  Now 2 starting OL are out for the season one of which is a pro bowler, left tackle pro bowler out for 3 or 4 games, number one receiver out for the season, 2nd best receiver at least in prior years out and not sure when he will be back, 3rd down back who was a big part of the offense last year out not sure when he will be back.  Based on all of that and based on the fact that the offense struggled significantly when all those starters were in there, if they can win 3 out of these last 8,that would probably be pretty well done based on where we find ourselves on the injury front.  

Now to the statistics.  3 out of the last 8 games are against top 5 defenses.  5 out of 8 are against defenses ranked in top 11.  That is going to be a tall order for this offense.  And when the offense doesn't play well and control the ball that puts pressure on the defense.

So I have us winning Jags, Bucs, and Giants and losing to Cowboys, Titans, Eagles twice, Texans.  I see us very even with the Cowboys but giving them the nod since its in there stadium.  Eagles defense and our defense are pretty even but certainly you have to give their offense a pretty significant edge.  Texans not as good as us on defense but much better on offense so I give them that nod.  The stats say we should beat the Titans but they looked pretty darn good putting up 28 points on the second ranked defense in the NFL in their stadium so you have to give them the nod.  They appear to be playing better than the Skins right now and now we have all these injuries.

So lets go play the games and we will see how it all works out but assuming that we will finish 10 and 6 because these teams in the second half don't have stellar records in my view is misguided.  Hoping i am wrong but not counting on it.  

24 minutes ago, glongest said:

Now to the statistics.  3 out of the last 8 games are against top 5 defenses.  5 out of 8 are against defenses ranked in top 11.  That is going to be a tall order for this offense.  And when the offense doesn't play well and control the ball that puts pressure on the defense.

This is not good.

But I think you're right or close to it.

The Dallas game; yea the Titeones went in there and beat them soundly, by playing aggressive. We don't play that style of game, at least on offense we don't.

The Eagles? I think it depends on how they play the next 4 weeks, but this is when they see the opportunity to get on a winning streak, and if they come out of it 3-1 then yea we're in trouble.

I have no idea on the Titans; they're so erratic it depends what side of the bed they wake up on.

The Texans are most likely going to pull a Saints on us, and of course THEY will be coming off a bye as well.

So that leaves the Giants and Jags. Maybe the Giants we win, but the Jags I dunno; they've hit a slump but could be playing for pride; they're really a QB away from being a very good football team { sound familiar? }.

On 11/6/2018 at 4:29 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

It's doubtful we'll score that many points, and it's not likely to be near enough even if we can.

The Bucs has scored 26 or more points in every game this season but one. I'll think we'll be luck to get 13.

18 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

It's doubtful we'll score that many points, and it's not likely to be near enough even if we can.

The Bucs has scored 26 or more points in every game this season but one. I'll think we'll be luck to get 13.

20 or 21 points isn’t likely to be enough....to beat DALLAS? The team that we beat with that many points just the other week? The team that didn’t score more than 14 against the titans? 

First off OP Great post, I was going to skip over it because i have the attention span of a toddler and wasn't about to read anything more then a sentence or 2 but glad i did. With that said you are wayyyyyyy over thinking it. We are Washington Redskin fans in the Snyder Era. I learned a long time ago to bask in the moment of glory with this team  And despite the fact we are coming off a crushing loss to Atalanta we are still first place in the NFC East. We are 5-3.  

Who am i kidding, our Offensive line is decimated, Our wide receivers couldn't catch a cold and Alex Smith has been horrible, At this point we might as well bring in Reno Hightower, Jack Dundee , and Bam Bam for the O -line

The-Best-of-Times_movie-still.jpg.f3d9e86f16233cb66f4f4184af2ba103.jpg

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

20 or 21 points isn’t likely to be enough....to beat DALLAS? The team that we beat with that many points just the other week? The team that didn’t score more than 14 against the titans? 

I didn't realize the Tampa Bay BUCS were Dallas.

With everything that's happened in the last couple of weeks, this is the 2nd half of the season, and it doesn't look positive.

Currently they're barely getting by teams they should have handled relatively easily, but getting smoked by the good teams.

So where does that leave them?

With the injuries piling up like my laundry, its going to be a trying second half. Gruden will have to alter his game plans, possibly in drastic ways, to counter the o-line being decimated,

Smith will have to get out of the pocket almost instantly if the line can't protect him, Roll-outs might be the norm, a la Joe Theismann, and its doubtful he will have time to even consider going deep. The only possibility is Smith taking a 3 step drop and throwing an arching touch pass to a WR on a go route, but he's not good at that.

The WRs / TEs routes will have to be shortened to accommodate Smith, which will make the area where the secondary is congested.

All of this could spell success for Tampa's defense; all they have to do is pressure Smith to force him to get rid of the ball quickly, while the secondary plays some man-to-man or mostly dime pkgs.  Of course, IF the o-line can somehow buy Smith some time, it could be a different story, but this seems to play right into their hands, so it would take an even bigger collapse of Tampa's defense for the offense to have success.

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Dallas scored 40 against the Jaguars. Not exactly sure what your point is. This is a week-to-week league, you know.

Several weeks out, I'd put the Skins chances to win at Dallas at 50-50. 

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Remember when it felt good that one of the teams we beat was the Panthers? They are getting curbstomped by a team with an elite offense right now. Not even a contest. 

And everyone was saying "Finally, a good Thursday night game...……"

I'm in it till the bitter end.  I think we can still get to 9 or 10 wins, and win this division or make the playoffs.  I know the cards are stacked against us and fully understand why people don't think thats gonna happen. But...   “Only those who attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible.” 
 Albert Einstein 

Just keep grinding HTTR.

1 hour ago, Morneblade said:

I didn't realize the Tampa Bay BUCS were Dallas.

My post was was about being able to score 20-21 points against Dallas though ?? might wanna read more of the thread to get caught up on what i was talking about. I’m guessig you assumed my post to Mr Tim was about our chances of scoring against Tampa bay which is why you brought them up (which I can see, since that’s who we play on Sunday). The post you quoted of mine earlier though was referring to Dallas.

43 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Dallas scored 40 against the Jaguars. Not exactly sure what your point is. This is a week-to-week league, you know.

Yeah. Against the JAGUARS. The two games they’ve played since (us and the titans), they haven’t scored many points :) my point was the way they’re playing LATELY, we should be able to win with 20-21 points. Just a prediction though, so yes, it has the chance of being wrong. 

15 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

My post was was about being able to score 20-21 points against Dallas though ?? might wanna read more of the thread to get caught up on what i was talking about. I’m guessig you assumed my post to Mr Tim was about our chances of scoring against Tampa bay which is why you brought them up (which I can see, since that’s who we play on Sunday). The post you quoted of mine earlier though was referring to Dallas.

Yeah. Against the JAGUARS. The two games they’ve played since (us and the titans), they haven’t scored many points :) my point was the way they’re playing LATELY, we should be able to win with 20-21 points. Just a prediction though, so yes, it has the chance of being wrong. 

Fair enough. With everyone talking about the upcoming game I thought you were talking about that as well.

But to be blunt, thinking that Dallas is going to be easy is, well, uninformed. We barely beat them last time, at home. Since that time, they have gotten better, and we have gotten worse. I think they'll play better at home, they will want revenge, and sweeping a division rival for us is never easy.

One thing I really don't understand about a lot of our fans, is how quickly they dismiss other teams in our division. Especially when we generally DON'T play well against them. It's almost comical. And yet, I see it every year.

We might be able to win with 21 points, but I don't see how the **** we are going to get that many.

6 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

But to be blunt, thinking that Dallas is going to be easy is, well, uninformed. We barely beat them last time, at home. Since that time, they have gotten better, and we have gotten worse. 

Since our game against them, they have gotten worse scoring wise (going from 17 in our game to 14 the next game (this past Monday night), while we are 1-1 in that timespan. That’s really the thing I’m going off of as to why i think we can complete the season sweep :D yes, we have gotten worse due to wayyyy too many injuries, and that loss to the falcons. But who knows, maybe Trent/CT/Crowder are back for that game. That could be a huge help i hope. 

Archived