Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can we stop pretending now?

Monkman56

I bet the Rams and their fans are pissed that they lost today. 

But only because they lost.  Not because they looked like a HS team playing an NFL team. 

The skins have lost 3 games and weren’t competitive in any of them.  That should be unacceptable to every fan in the 5th year of a regime. 

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I have faith the D will play better and not get whooped like they did today on the regular.

Funny thing is I've been watching the Skins longer than he has been alive.

I like DJ though, not sure what happened today but hopefully they get it sorted out.

7 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

I bet the Rams and their fans are pissed that they lost today. 

But only because they lost.  Not because they looked like a HS team playing an NFL team. 

The skins have lost 3 games and weren’t competitive in any of them.  That should be unacceptable to every fan in the 5th year of a regime. 

When people say "don't worry", I think they should be more specific.  At least that way all the modular stuff is on the table instead of looking at it so binary, almost intentionally to maintain a position.

41 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

@skins island connection don't sweat the Pats thing, I got your overall point, even if I disagree with it.  

I'll say this, this Bucs game is important.  We're running out of chances to prove we can handle a team that can score more then 3 tds in a game before it really starts to cost us.  Teams like Dallas, Titans, Giants, Jax, they won't score more then 21 points on this defense.  Winning those games is 9 wins.  That is predicated on us being able to run the ball still and avoid turnovers.  Tampa is different in that they can move the ball but for the most part they are a bad team.  Saints just beat the Rams, Falcons are catching fire on offense.

I really don't to move from my position that we can beat the teams that try to play our game.  I'm going to feel sick if Dallas blows us out on Thanksgiving, they don't have the talent to do it.

But that's just the problem; when these 2 teams meet, the unthinkable becomes reality, the 'never in a million years' becomes that particular day, etc etc.

Especially with these 2 teams, throw the record book out the window, because usually the one on paper who looks like they will win is the team that's smoked, and being its on turkey day I got a bad feeling. The last game we barely won by the skin of our teeth, but Dallas had all the momentum, and had they made that FG at the end they would most likely have won the game in OT.

Opponents by now have figured out how to beat the Redskins. Stuff the run and make Smith beat you in the air. All they have to do is cover the WRs / TEs for the first 15 yds and let nature take its course. Gruden isn't helping matters by playing against opponents' strengths and lack of creativity, he's become easily predictable, as the Falcons d-line proved today. Today is the start of the unraveling, next week it will continue, and it will leave many fans with their jaws dropped.

2 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

But that's just the problem; when these 2 teams meet, the unthinkable becomes reality, the 'never in a million years' becomes that particular day, etc etc.

Don't need to remind me on that one.  Now here's the remaining schedule, I can see us going 2-2 the next 4 games then ripping off the last 4.  Could miss the playoffs with a loss at home to Philly to end the season, but seen them get sacked to hell as well a lot lately.  Right now I have my eye on what Philly is doing, because if they do catch fire, no I don't believe we can keep up with them in the standings.  We know they won't be higher then 12-4 so far, though.

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Don't need to remind me on that one.  Now here's the remaining schedule, I can see us going 2-2 the next 4 games then ripping off the last 4.  Could miss the playoffs with a loss at home to Philly to end the season, but seen them get sacked to hell as well a lot lately.  Right now I have my eye on what Philly is doing, because if they do catch fire, no I don't believe we can keep up with them in the standings.  We know they won't be higher then 12-4 so far, though.

We could just as easily go 0-4. Dallas clunked a FG to tie the game at the end of regulation, and the Giants actually had a chance late. And to be blunt, none of these games are gimmes. we are too 1 dimensional offensively. Even a team like the Jags, if they load up to stop the run, will cripple us. It could be a 6-3 game. And if Fournette is back, we could be in trouble.

With Alex at QB, nothing is going to be easy, and every team we face is going to be in the game.

One of the things that disappointed me the most today was the run defense. That was supposed to be where we were dominant and we got absolutely gashed. They obviously had a plan on how to try and minimize what our front could do and open up holes and it absolutely worked...you could have driven a truck through many of the holes they were opening up. And it seemed like we had no adjustments or answer for it. One issue is that our ILBs seem super slow, especially Foster. That or they were just never in the right positions. Swearinger also seemed pretty invisible today as well. I had a feeling we'd get cut up by their passing offense and we did.

Our offense is basically the same as it always is. A few good plays here and there but still predictable, borderline incompetent, with lots of poor play calling, a QB who looks like he feels the rush and gets happy feet about .0001 seconds after the snap, tons of penalties, mediocre skill players. Just an all around poor offense.

I watch the good teams we play on offense and watch other decent offenses in other games around the league and I'm amazed at how we consistently make executing even the most basic plays seem like a herculean task. When we complete a pass more than 10 yards down the field it feels like it took tons of scheming and execution to get such an impressive feat accomplished. Other teams make it routine.

I'm really not holding out much hope that Alex, Gruden, and this offense are suddenly going to "click". There are just too many issues with it for that to happen. We'll get some spurts of good plays like we did today but the rest of the time it is mostly dysfunction. Having our OL completely banged up doesn't help either but even when they were healthy it's not like the offense was humming...though at least they could open up holes for AP. 

Sigh.

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

We could just as easily got 0-4. Dallas clunked a FG to tie the game at the end of regulation, and the Giants actually had a chance late. And to be blunt, none of these games are gimmes. we are too 1 dimensional offensively. Even a team like the Jags, if they load up to stop the run, will cripple us. It could be a 6-3 game. And if Fournette is back, we could be in trouble.

With Alex at QB, nothing is going to be easy, and every team we face is going to be in the game.

Easy? Far from it.  They could lose the next 4 and win the next 4 (can see that as well).  I like our matchups with these offenses I keep mentioning because as long as we don't turn the ball over more then them, we are beating them so far.  It make sense.

I think this team is lacking at the coordinator positions. Every game has its fair share of mistakes no matter the team - I get that. The problem with this team is that the coordinators seem to crack their skulls on **** walls when their coveted game plan doesn't work. The defense got ripped with pick plays. The same ****ing pick plays they saw from the Colts and the Saints. But alas, the D coordinator can't seen to figure it out.

No need to get into the offense. The offense is riddled with flaws that are more about Gruden's player preference at the skill positions. That won't change, so this offense will suck until he's bounced the **** out of here. I remember Gruden stating in his sarcastic way about the height of Moss, D-Jak, and Garcon. He doesn't like "short" receivers, so he'll limit this offense from picking up a play maker that happens to be less then 6'0.  He sucks at evaluating offensive skill players. He hasn't picked one since he's been here. One could say that Crowder is a good pick, but to be truthful, I don't trust him with the football, just like I don't trust Perine. Bottom line, since 2014 the Redskins can't account for picking up a single play maker on offense.

Yes, we are still in 1st place, but...

I'm just sick of seeing the dysfunction on this team. And it is always there, regardless of what players we have on the roster. I blame that on the caching staff. We've got a TE in Reed who has the potential to be a game changer, but when he's not hurt, he's somehow not dependable enough for his coaches to have him in the game when it's late and we're trying to mount a comeback. And when Vernon Davis started clicking with Smith late in the game, they were taking advantage of the middle of the field, where a TE often does his work. As soon as they complete a couple plays to him, what does Gruden do? He lines him up outside, like a WR.

On defense, we start a guy who just came here in a trade, but in crunch time we replace him with the guy he's supposed to be replacing.

We've got a number1 WR who destroys any chance to establish some early momentum by letting a perfect pass bounce off him. 

We rack up, what, over 100 yards in penalties? Jay must be feeling like he's coaching his brother's team sometimes, as the Raiders are often the most penalized team in the league. But penalties are mostly due to a lack of discipline which is, again, due to poor coaching.   

There's more examples of the nonsense that we see week after week from this team. The players come and go, but the GM and HC remain the same, and we continue to see the same mediocre product on the field. And on top of that, our home field has become so inviting for opposing teams (and their fans) that their owner came down from his suite today to congratulate the players and shake hands with Falcons fans before the game even ended.

We've all been grateful that Snyder has taken a couple steps back over the last few seasons to let his people do their jobs, but I don't think many fans would get too upset if he started shaking things up just a bit. This team lacks any confidence in what they are doing. Even when things are going pretty well, the team at some point says "is this really us? Are we really playing this well?" and they start to let that doubt creep up and ruin their day.  

40 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Easy? Far from it.  They could lose the next 4 and win the next 4 (can see that as well).  I like our matchups with these offenses I keep mentioning because as long as we don't turn the ball over more then them, we are beating them so far.  It make sense.

Couple of things to keep in mind.

1. We've for the most part, barely beaten teams like that. Except these are better versions, except Dallas.........................which was very close to going into OT.

2. I don't know if you know this. but Lauvao might have a torn ACL and Scherff might have a torn pectorial. If this is the case, both are gone for the year.

And there is no way we will be able to run the football like this. And if that's the case, we might not win another game this season.

1 minute ago, Morneblade said:

Couple of things to keep in mind.

1. We've for the mast part, barely beaten teams like that. Except these are better versions, except Dallas.........................which was very close to going into OT.

2. I don't know if you know this. but Lauvao might have a torn ACL and Scherff might have a torn pectorial. If this is the case, both are gone for the year.

And there is no way we will be able to run the football like this. And if that's the case, we might not win another game this season.

I know, Lauvao was in the way anyway.  I'll wait to hear how many games Scherff is missing first, but I know, same as if we decide to try to pick anyone up.  I won't be shocked to lose the next couple to get that hopefully sorted out, then we either finish strong or die trying.

When we face opponents who have a good QB, much less a great one, its a struggle.

1. Gruden has absolutely no idea on how to game plan a 2nd half, and he's proven that most every sunday. He was supposed to be this great QB whisperer, but I think he has spent most of his time under the horse's tail, talking up a storm and waiting for answers, but all he gets is a pile of it.

2. We have no threats regarding WRs. Every single one of them can be single covered and be shut down for the most part.

Davis has a total of 15 receptions this year. Doctson has 19. Reed has 33. None of them have decent YPC stats, and Davis has all but been forgotten on offense but he was the only one making big gains last year.  Discredit goes to Smith or Gruden?

3. The only player on offense who seems like he wants to win is AP. Everyone else makes a catch and acts like they've created the world, look at me, mentality. Showboating while you're getting your ass handed to you while only making a few catches a game isn't brag-worthy.

There's nothing about this team that constitutes winning, from the FO personnel to players. The absurdity and incompetence and overall dysfunction of how this team operates has ruined not only the team, but its fans. To be satisfied with going 8-8 if they catch a few breaks, refusing to bring in capable coaching, quality players, and a training/scouting staff who knows what they're doing, makes a statement of pride and the inability to swallow it for the sake of the team and its fans.

I've followed, cheered, and sported gear for the only team I've ever loved, stuck with and watched since the 70's, celebrated the SB championships with many beers in the glory years, and still stuck with the team through thick and thin, for all these years, only to watch them slip deeper and deeper into mediocrity, and now have been subjected to watching an owner who cannot see past his burgundy colored glasses at the glaring problems that blind its fans, and it starts with him, his nostalgic embrace of people in the front office who need directions on wiping their butts.

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, I don’t think it dawns on some of these guys just how much we’ve been through.

Just wondering how long you have been watching...… started going to every game from 1961 up until 2002, then watched all on TV and occasionally go to a game since I moved to NC.   Seen all the greatest play, I even remember Norman Snead playing before we traded him for Sonny. and received a trophy while playing Boys Club football in Falls Church Va from Sam Huff at our awards banquet.   I remember Pat Fischer stopping Jim Brown in his tracks with a blustering helmet to helmet hit, and who could forget the Chris Hanburger "clothesline tackles".  Those were the days....I was a Sonny man but Kilmer got us to the 1st SB.  My favorite Skin though was good old Riggo. 

9 hours ago, skins island connection said:

. Stuff the run and make Smith beat you in the air. All they have to do is cover the WRs / TEs for the first 15 yds and let nature take its course.

This is far too simplistic. The blueprint you describe here has been the talk of Smith for over a decade. If it were so simple, he would not have been the efficient winner or even a starter over the last several years. Dude is having a poor showing so far, and I get the hostility towards him, but really now... he is what he is. Put a good support cast around him, and he is pretty good. Put what they have around him lately? and you will get what you been getting. 

9 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I think this team is lacking at the coordinator positions. Every game has its fair share of mistakes no matter the team - I get that. The problem with this team is that the coordinators seem to crack their skulls on **** walls when their coveted game plan doesn't work. The defense got ripped with pick plays. The same ****ing pick plays they saw from the Colts and the Saints. But alas, the D coordinator can't seen to figure it out.

No need to get into the offense. The offense is riddled with flaws that are more about Gruden's player preference at the skill positions. That won't change, so this offense will suck until he's bounced the **** out of here. I remember Gruden stating in his sarcastic way about the height of Moss, D-Jak, and Garcon. He doesn't like "short" receivers, so he'll limit this offense from picking up a play maker that happens to be less then 6'0.  He sucks at evaluating offensive skill players. He hasn't picked one since he's been here. One could say that Crowder is a good pick, but to be truthful, I don't trust him with the football, just like I don't trust Perine. Bottom line, since 2014 the Redskins can't account for picking up a single play maker on offense.

It sickens me to see how good Sean McVay's offense is, he's the coach I was hoping to end up with.

4 hours ago, rabidskin said:

Just wondering how long you have been watching...… started going to every game from 1961 up until 2002, then watched all on TV and occasionally go to a game since I moved to NC.   Seen all the greatest play, I even remember Norman Snead playing before we traded him for Sonny. and received a trophy while playing Boys Club football in Falls Church Va from Sam Huff at our awards banquet.   I remember Pat Fischer stopping Jim Brown in his tracks with a blustering helmet to helmet hit, and who could forget the Chris Hanburger "clothesline tackles".  Those were the days....I was a Sonny man but Kilmer got us to the 1st SB.  My favorite Skin though was good old Riggo. 

I was born in 1980, grew up in PG County and was born into the Redskins via my grandfather.  I had John Riggins pajamas.  My grandfather shot his shotgun in the air after the Super Bowl win against the Broncos.  My mother let me skip school to attend the parade after the SB against the Bills.  Had more Zubaz gear than anyone would ever need.  Obviously I haven’t been around as long as you but I think it’s long enough to be heavily disgruntled with the mediocrity that’s been around for my entire adult life.

Very disappointed in Greg Manusky and Gruden, our weakness is obvious.

We cannot defend the short, quick passes. For whatever reason, those are open ALL day, its mind boggling. This has been an ongoing issue since week 2 against the Colts where this was exposed. Norman and Foster are too slow to react to these short passes, they can essentially be picked on and a ball will be caught 90% of the time them by their man. 

This has yet to be corrected effectively. Teams that have a good passing game are a guaranteed win if they follow Colts/Saints/Falcons formula. Yesterday was all on coaching in my opinion

2 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I've had this thought as well. 

It’s hard to say after 8 games with a 5-3 record, but realistically, we were a long shot for Alex to ever “get it” when the roster was at full health.  Given the recent OL injuries, I put the chances of him getting it at less than 5%.  The team won’t be able to run the ball remotely like they had been given the injuries.  I could easily see the team losing the majority of the remaining schedule.  Unless we somehow end up lucky and guys like Moses and Scherff were just scares.

2 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

This is far too simplistic. The blueprint you describe here has been the talk of Smith for over a decade. If it were so simple, he would not have been the efficient winner or even a starter over the last several years. Dude is having a poor showing so far, and I get the hostility towards him, but really now... he is what he is. Put a good support cast around him, and he is pretty good. Put what they have around him lately? and you will get what you been getting. 

It will work here. You put a great surrounding cast around him, and he's pretty decent.

You put a average surrounding cast around him, and he's not a complete liability.

This is what is ironic. He actually tends to drag the rest of the team down. And that is why teams move on from him. He doesn't actually "help" the team.

I'm real close to being in favor of starting Colt.  I know Alex will win us games by not turning the ball over but if we lose the next 2 games and are sitting at 5-5 I say start Colt.  I feel he can actually move the ball down the field.  I know, I know, I know...but if we fall to .500 I at least want to see some scoring.

Archived