Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is Wrong with Alex Smith?

NoVaSkins21

I'm happy as hell with the win and the 6-3 record, I just think the QB is holding us back and will prevent us from staying in games when the defense doesn't play their best.  These are legitimate concerns if you want this team to be the best they can be.

Thank god I don't have to hear the Bucs fans talk smack when I get in the office on Monday.

2 minutes ago, Llevron said:

There are alot of differences between that team and this one. 

Zorn is not Gruden for the most obvious. 

Vinny. Also obvious. 

Less obvious is that Gruden helped build this team. Zorn inherited his. 

2008 team was old and getting older. This one is young and our youth is playing big for us. 

Outside of the records and the QBs under preforming, they dont have alot in common. .

I don't know how much better Gruden is than Zorn though.  Neither were/are good at in game adjustments or managing a clock.  Vinny may actually be better than Allen, and there is no evidence that Gruden has had much of an input on who is drafted/signed.  We may have more younger guys, but we have a lot of key players that are getting up there and will be wasting years with this QB, like Trent, Kerrigan, Norman, etc.  When we end up 8-8 at best this season, due to the remainder of our schedule, and miss the playoffs, I bet many more will see the similarities in this team and the 2008 team.

3 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

This reminds me a lot of 2008 when we started 6 - 2.  There were a few folks that didn't by into the mirage and others that jumped all over them for not being happy with the wins.  Well, we know how that all turned out, and it set us back for years to come.  It wasn't all on Zorn, it was on the QB as well.  Alex Smith is the new Jason Campbell, and being happy about his below mediocre play so that it sets up for us missing the playoffs this year and the next couple is not something i can get behind.

The 2008 team (with Samuels healthy) would smoke this team. 

Here's the DVOA ratings as of week 8 2008: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2008/week-8-dvoa-ratings

We were the #5 team in the league, with the #4 offense and #11 defense. We had wins over the #1 team (on the road, no less), #8, and #14 teams. Portis had just become the 2nd player in NFL history (behind OJ Simpson) to achieve 2 separate streaks of 5 consecutive games for 120+ rushing yards. There was every reason to believe that team was a contender. Samuels' injury happened and the wheels fell off the bus.

This year's skins came into this week ranked #21 in DVOA. I mean, there's not much more to say. This year feels a lot more lucky than good. We look like an average NFL team getting some lucky breaks.

If you cant see how much better of a coach Gruden is than Zorn then I dont know what to tell you. 

Some of you seem to want to have a reason to be pissed. Ima let you be pissed lol. 

I know if i would have been rooting for losses last season just to be right about Cousins yall would have called me full of ****. 

11 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I'm happy as hell with the win and the 6-3 record, I just think the QB is holding us back and will prevent us from staying in games when the defense doesn't play their best.  These are legitimate concerns if you want this team to be the best they can be.

No one is really disagreeing with that. You cant really lol

I'd like to see what Colt McCoy can do. Colt should know the offense better than Smith, being in since 2014. So maybe we would leave fewer points on the field with him, even while he might not be as good at avoiding TOs as Smith.

If we can get more out of the offense, maybe we can get leads and rest starters, instead of having almost every game in doubt into the last 3-4 minutes the game. We gotta get something going. Even if we make it to the playoffs, the D can't be expected to carry us over teams with real offensive ability. We need more from the QB position than Smith seems capable of producing at this point.

It isn't like Smith has this amazing timing/chemistry with the WR/TE we have and he's clearly not getting much better week-to-week.

FULL DISCLOSURE:

I hated the trade to get him in the first place, as it cost us too much (Fuller/3rd), plus most of the money Cousins should have been signed to a couple of years before.

9 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Fantasy football has ruined the sport. Fitzpatrick is an example of filling the stat sheet but not the score column. Not that we are lighting it up but Alex managed the game today. I’ll take 6-3 any day

Fitzpatrick today, or in general this year? Because Fitzpatrick came into today throwing more TDs per dropback than any other QB in the league. Until today, he has filled up the stat sheet AND the score column. Sure, he had 7 INTs and 3 fumbles coming into today, but when you're generating that much offense, some turnovers are to be expected.

Saying this was a good game by Alex mean nothing, we scored 16 points against arguably the worst pass defense in the NFL.  We are the only team with a winning record while scoring only 20ppg.  This whole season is owed to our defense, I'm not giving Alex this win, that wide open kill shot to Davis he missed is why he's wasting time, id still be fine with a QB change to McCoy.

29 minutes ago, Llevron said:

So when we LOSE yall gonna be happy right?

Game like this that were aren't supposed to win and win anyway keep me going as a fan. 

22 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

A commanding win where you win because your team dominates versus this, a get lucky, should’ve lost but the other team is just as inept type win. Sorry, I thought the text made it more obvious.

Ahhhh. Like the win against Green Bay then.

Look I get it. The offense has to play a lot better down the stretch for this team to go anywhere. The defense can’t give up 400+ yards and only conceed 3 points very often either.

But here is the thing - the dice has no memory and they don’t give style points.

For those championing Smith, how many believe he can bring the team back for a win, when the defense gives up 20 points?  (And in today's NFL, giving up 20 is still considered a decent defensive result.)

After this many games, I really don't think Smith can do that.  He's been riding the coat-tails of others all season.  What a mediocre, risk-averse QB.  All he's going to do is worsen the Skins draft position. Skins m-i-g-h-t stumble into the playoffs, but a Smith-led offense guarantees an early exit.

Funny. I got called out this week for being a "QB records guy". IE: Claiming Smith is a good Qb because of his career record.  At what point do you need to give at least a little credit to the QB? The guy isnt exciting. BUT the guy wins. AND HE ALWAYS HAS. Would I like him to throw more TD's? Yep. But he has 10 TD's and 3 INT's on the season. And he is 6-3. Winning this game with 2 OL who were sitting on their couches last week. Say whatever you want about me and Smith. The guy is a winner. You dont post a career 94-65-1 record if you arent.

5 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

For those championing Smith, how many believe he can bring the team back for a win, when the defense gives up 20 points?  (And in today's NFL, giving up 20 is still considered a decent defensive result.)

After this many games, I really don't think Smith can do that.  He's been riding the coat-tails of others all season.  What a mediocre, risk-averse QB.  All he's going to do is worsen the Skins draft position. Skins m-i-g-h-t stumble into the playoffs, but a Smith-led offense guarantees an early exit.

And this is a negative?

Just now, clskinsfan said:

Funny. I got called out this week for being a "QB records guy". IE: Claiming Smith is a good Qb because of his career record.  At what point do you need to give at least a little credit to the QB? The guy isnt exciting. BUT the guy wins. AND HE ALWAYS HAS. Would I like him to throw more TD's? Yep. But he has 10 TD's and 3 INT's on the season. And he is 6-3. Winning this game with 2 OL who were sitting on their couches this week. Say whatever you want about me and Smith. The guy is a winner. You dont post a career 94-65-1 record if you arent.

Just let em yap, man.. It's hilarious, and simply lagniappe after any winning game. LOL

55 minutes ago, Taylor 36 said:

The game today wasn't won by the Redskins as much as it was lost by the Bucs.  They not only shot themselves in the foot, they cut off their legs with hack-saws.  

Yeah, I would have to say that Fitz helped us out more than Smith. The redzone run that Fitz took I thought "Damn, first down." And then he starts running to his left about a few yards short of it. I mean unbelievable. At least Smith would have continued up field. Thank you Fitz for that boneheaded luck.

1 minute ago, Birdlives said:

Granted, but we can’t keep banging our heads against the wall either. Getting lucky is not a business plan. Or at least, not a good one.

"We" the fans can't do anything anyway. "We" the F/O and coaches won't be resting on their laurels either. They will get things fixed up eventually, or they won't, but they certainly WILL keep trying to improve. 

Winning games while they keep trying to fix ****? That's enough to make many smile. One week at a time. The postseason is still far enough away to not fret over what happens then. 

1 hour ago, Taylor 36 said:

If we're being honest, Smith isn't winning ****.  The game today wasn't won by the Redskins as much as it was lost by the Bucs.  

What a slap in the face of the defense. All 4 turnovers were forced by good plays on their part. There were no gimme turnovers today.

7 minutes ago, Birdlives said:

Granted, but we can’t keep banging our heads against the wall either. Getting lucky is not a business plan. Or at least, not a good one.

No argument. But with the injuries we’ve had winning ugly is a good result.

I get it, Smith is not an elite qb, and he will not make players better.  But who is he holding back on offense?  who on our offense can make him better?  Who would be an elite player if they had a better qb?  NO ONE, if Reed wasn't injury prone maybe.  We are stuck with Smith, but we really need to get the talent around him way better

Archived