Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Packers

KDawg

5 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Boom. Just hit repeat.

The rules prevent a defender from landing with all or most of his body on a QB.

Hopefully it doesn't says anything about pushing an OL most or all of his body on his QB.

That's great coaching from Tomsula on how to bend the rules!

5 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

And on the other side of the coin, I have never understood why calling a NFL player a B/B+ and not a Miller/Mack/Watt is a slap in the face. 

I think we are saying the same thing...he's reliable and usually very effective. He probably isn't someone that coordinators stay up at night scheming around. Because he never misses time and plays extremely hard, he is usually a 10-sack guy. But, make no mistake, that's not the same as being a player who disrupts an offense.  

Except he literally does and has disrupted offenses as I said above. You act like any outside linebacker that stays healthy can record ten sacks a year. That is simply not the case and he has been so much more than that. I’m not taking aim at you it’s just frustrating that over the years so many people on here have had this sentiment that he’s JAG and that is far from the truth. There is a reason he’s been to several pro bowls and again, leads the league in forced fumbles since entering it. The guy is a game changer. He may be starting to fall off but a guy doesn’t go from 13 sacks to a scrub in one season. It’s been mentioned he’s playing through something and still made an impact yesterday and applied pressure. 

3 hours ago, Romberjo said:

I was watching on a tiny screen so couldn't really tell--but I was stunned we didn't have more problems with Bergstrom at center. I suppose the fall-off from Lauvao (or at least an injured Lauvou) can't be all that significant, even if we put Paul Richardson in at LG. And Roullier seems strong at C or G. Maybe the Wilkerson injury in the 1st quarter helped.

So did Bergstrom play well enough that we have a workable solution to one injury on the interior of the OL? (That doesn't require putting Trent at G and Morgan and Nsekhe at T?)

I only caught the second half but Bergstrom looked pretty good at C. I still think Roullier is a better interior OL than Bergstrom but those two are a better overall combo than either of them plus Lauvao. 

Was Lauvao injured or demoted?

10 hours ago, KDawg said:

Meh: Ryan Kerrigan (where has he been the first three weeks?),

First 2 weeks, Kerrigan finished with  a really nice game. He was quiet in the 1st half but caused 3 holding calls all on 3rd downs. Was ****ing pumped to see Ryan get some calls for once.  

GB was playing around him in the 2nd half running their screen plays directly over/around him too. I'm sure they're not the first team to account for Kerrigan attributing to his slow start. 

Rewatch some of the 2nd half where GB is throwing every play and Ryan has his hands in the dirt; he gets past the Tackle or pushes him backwards into the QB > 75% of the time. Didn't matter if it was 75 or 78 on him. (Baluga/Spriggs)  Kerrigan is an elite pass rusher. Comparing him to Preston Smith on the other side is not even a comparison. Not really a knock on Preston either. 

14 minutes ago, Mooka said:

First 2 weeks, Kerrigan finished with  a really nice game. He was quiet in the 1st half but caused 3 holding calls all on 3rd downs. Was ****ing pumped to see Ryan get some calls for once.  

GB was playing around him in the 2nd half running their screen plays directly over/around him too. I'm sure they're not the first team to account for Kerrigan attributing to his slow start. 

Rewatch some of the 2nd half where GB is throwing every play and Ryan has his hands in the dirt; he gets past the Tackle or pushes him backwards into the QB > 75% of the time. Didn't matter if it was 75 or 78 on him. (Baluga/Spriggs)  Kerrigan is an elite pass rusher. Comparing him to Preston Smith on the other side is not even a comparison. Not really a knock on Preston either. 

Kerrigan drew like 3 holding calls and had a couple of pressures..

2 hours ago, Playaction2Sanders said:

Where was Tim Settle btw? Quite frankly I've heard little from him the past two weeks..

Saw some snap counts that seem crazy abnormal so u want footballoutsiders to come out with theirs.

But those snap counts had Payne and Allen play almost the entire game.  That's crazy town amazing.

According to PFF, Zach Brown is our highest rated defensive player.  I don’t understand why he’s getting flack from anybody ?‍♂️

DB5DB514-1A0E-4FA7-B18E-18DE03DCFB9E.png

4 hours ago, Mooka said:

Kerrigan is not an elite pass rusher.  He has zero sacks in 3 full games.  He never even misses a snap.  

As I’m sure the ‘Skins stuff has been done to death, NFL rule makers are another reason many are falling out of love with the game. 

At this rate football will become a non-contact sport. We benefited like, but the absolute joke Matthews call was a real momentum changer. 

Hail.

*Edit* 

And the classic Gibbs era uni’s look MUCH better than flipping them from white jerseys/ burgundy pants to burgundy/ white. 

*Arl, narking like ‘yer Da’ me. 

20 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I don't think the total yards is the issue with the running game. Because for some reason, teams don't seem to be running the ball all that much against us. Which is a little odd.

Because we're giving up 4.5 yards a carry. Exactly what we gave up last year, when we were like the worse rushing defense in the NFL.

That is something that needs to get fixed, or it IS going to come back and haunt us.

I think our run defense is a product of how we’re playing our opponents. Brewer had a good column in the WaPo about this. Against the Colts and Packers, you’re gonna use an unloaded box more often than not because you’d prefer to take away the passers effectiveness. And largely we did that by limiting Rodgers and Luck to under 300 yards in both contests. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-might-finally-have-a-defense-they-can-build-upon-not-work-around/2018/09/24/2b4cbe4c-bfa1-11e8-90c9-23f963eea204_story.html

I think we’ll see a better run defense against teams like Carolina and Dallas, who rely on the run more than the pass. 

2 hours ago, Rskins91 said:

I think our run defense is a product of how we’re playing our opponents. Brewer had a good column in the WaPo about this. Against the Colts and Packers, you’re gonna use an unloaded box more often than not because you’d prefer to take away the passers effectiveness. And largely we did that by limiting Rodgers and Luck to under 300 yards in both contests. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/redskins-might-finally-have-a-defense-they-can-build-upon-not-work-around/2018/09/24/2b4cbe4c-bfa1-11e8-90c9-23f963eea204_story.html

I think we’ll see a better run defense against teams like Carolina and Dallas, who rely on the run more than the pass. 

I wouldn't use the Indy game so much as a recipe for success. Not only did we lose, much of the reason we lost was because we gave up over 100 yards rushing to a team that doesn't run the ball well. This is where making adjustments comes into play.

Not to harp too much on this, but one things I REALLY don't understand, with all the technology on the sidelines is this: Make adjustments at halftime? why wait, you have all the tablets on the sidelines, why can't you make adjustments quarter to quarter, or series to series?

Why don't we? We stick to a "gameplan" that isn't working? A "gameplan" should be just that, a basic plan, that you understand will need to be tweeked based on what works in it, and what doesn't, and how the opponent reacts to your changes? Why doesn't our HC understand this?

13 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Saw some snap counts that seem crazy abnormal so u want footballoutsiders to come out with theirs.

But those snap counts had Payne and Allen play almost the entire game.  That's crazy town amazing.

Right there with you - 0 snaps from Settle and Hood?  Craziness.  Of course, they had the bye week coming up, so maybe that factored in.  

11 hours ago, -JB- said:

Kerrigan is not an elite pass rusher.  He has zero sacks in 3 full games.  He never even misses a snap.  

That's a bit of a myth about Kerrigan. He was in on 57 of 69 plays (83%) against GB.  Last week 82%, week one 68%.

I'm a big fan but his lack of production is a little worrying.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I wouldn't use the Indy game so much as a recipe for success. Not only did we lose, much of the reason we lost was because we gave up over 100 yards rushing to a team that doesn't run the ball well. This is where making adjustments comes into play.

Not to harp too much on this, but one things I REALLY don't understand, with all the technology on the sidelines is this: Make adjustments at halftime? why wait, you have all the tablets on the sidelines, why can't you make adjustments quarter to quarter, or series to series?

Why don't we? We stick to a "gameplan" that isn't working? A "gameplan" should be just that, a basic plan, that you understand will need to be tweeked based on what works in it, and what doesn't, and how the opponent reacts to your changes? Why doesn't our HC understand this?

Eh, I blame the offense MUCH more for Indy than the defense. Yes, they could have executed much better and slowed the run down. But any semblance of the offense we saw in AZ or with GB (first half) and we beat Indy.

I think this notion that Jay doesn’t adjust is getting a little out of hand. I’ll give you it’s not a strength, but I think he does make adjustments. Look at the slow starts last year; we shouted that Jay couldn’t prepare the guys and they only were ready mid game. Now we’re having fast starts and he can’t make adjustments. There’s an opposing NFL team on the other side of that field y’know, and they’ll make life difficult for you. 

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Hate to say it, but I really think Gruden is just not capable of the higher level strategic thinking needed to function as an effective in-game manager.

Skins will need to hire someone smarter if we want more reliable performance in this area.

6 minutes ago, Rskins91 said:

I think this notion that Jay doesn’t adjust is getting a little out of hand. I’ll give you it’s not a strength, but I think he does make adjustments. Look at the slow starts last year; we shouted that Jay couldn’t prepare the guys and they only were ready mid game. Now we’re having fast starts and he can’t make adjustments. There’s an opposing NFL team on the other side of that field y’know, and they’ll make life difficult for you. 

I respectively disagree. The only adjustments I've seen him make are when we are leading into the half and those adjustments aren't the ones I want my team to make (ie, taking the foot off the gas). 

Archived