Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Packers

KDawg

One of the beat reporters, forget who, mentioned we used a lot of "light boxes" against the Packers.  Safeties lined up deeper to give Rodgers more to think about, and so we had more 6 or 7 inside the box instead of the 8 we sometimes do with Swearinger creeping up as Nicholson rotates to Single High.

I think our defense is talented enough that we can choose how we want the opposing offenses to operate.  And so we chose to let them run while we made life difficult for Rodgers.  We're up multiple scores early, they have to throw to catch up, so why not?

2 hours ago, redskinss said:

Looks decent enough to me.

Their not gonna hold every opponent under 100 yards a game.

our expectations are too often based on our desire instead of reality.

Buut...4.5 yards per carry puts them at 20th.  They are 1 of 3 defenses that haven't given up a run of 20+ yards though but have given up 19 first downs on the ground (20th).  They have also faced the 5th (AZ) and 10th (Indy) worst rushing teams so far

Following the Colts game I decided that another week of a similarly lackluster effort would be enough to get me watching other, potentially more interesting matchups and catching up on Skins games if and when I have the time and inclination. Wasn't demanding a victory, just a more inspiring effort than the previous week.

So understandably the first half was a stunning, but wonderful surprise. Being the Redskins, though, I anticipated a nerve-wracking second half and while it wasn't edge of the seat stuff, I could feel the game starting to slip away in the fourth when Adrian Peterson lost yards on a first down run wide left, leading to a predictable and totally untimely 3 and out and the Packers taking good field position. Then came the fumble and suddenly the sense of dread started to lift. Suddenly the run game picked up and it was enough to run the clock down for the FG, at which point the relief set in.

Gruden has got to do something about the strategy when coming back with a big lead. The run game is not bad, but it's not good enough that it can be relied upon to close out the game. Certainly not for a whole half. Become one dimensional and it will be stopped. The first down call to Peterson that I mentioned earlier surprised nobody. Play action could've got the drive off to a better start and helped the offense get back into a rhythm after so much time on the bench.

All being said, I'm ecstatic with the win. It won't be like this every week, but I can see that no game this season tells the full truth about this team. So I'll keep watching, until such point as it might seem that the season's over.

My thoughts today are similar to yesterday really. Its a great win. It may have been ugly in spots but is there a single fan who wouldve rather lost pretty than beat the pack ugly?

Our defense looked really good as a unit. Not against Sam Bradford but against (albeit hobbled) Aaron Rodgers. 

Lots of positive individual showings. I though Moreau had another good game, Richardson got the big catch and TD, Ionnidas Payne and Allen were bringing heat on Rodgers all game and got some big sacks, Swearinger is balling atm, Jordan Reed was fired up and AD is just a monster.

Theres definitely still work to be done. Special Teams look ropey as hell and the playcalling in 2nd half was absolutely shambolic but ultimately got the job done due to the defense showing up. Alex Smith is underwhelming for me and our receiving corps look pretty poor but i think we have enough playmakers to put a winning season together

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

I don't think the total yards is the issue with the running game. Because for some reason, teams don't seem to be running the ball all that much against us. Which is a little odd.

Because we're giving up 4.5 yards a carry. Exactly what we gave up last year, when we were like the worse rushing defense in the NFL.

That is something that needs to get fixed, or it IS going to come back and haunt us.

Yep, we are actually 20th in YPA, which is more accurate than cumulative yards. 

Just now, Master Blaster said:

Roullier is good.  Very good. 

A solid C/G in the off-season to pair with him will make this line formidable for the next 2-3 years. 

I was a fan of Roullier’s last year and I hoped we’d see even better play this year.  

I know the Packers have some problems with their D, but it shouldn’t be forgotten that we ran the ball damn well behind Bergstrom, Nsheke, and Roullier - a second year 6th round pick.  

I was watching on a tiny screen so couldn't really tell--but I was stunned we didn't have more problems with Bergstrom at center. I suppose the fall-off from Lauvao (or at least an injured Lauvou) can't be all that significant, even if we put Paul Richardson in at LG. And Roullier seems strong at C or G. Maybe the Wilkerson injury in the 1st quarter helped.

So did Bergstrom play well enough that we have a workable solution to one injury on the interior of the OL? (That doesn't require putting Trent at G and Morgan and Nsekhe at T?)

5 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Ryan Kerrigan gets too much flack here IMO. He has been a very good player for a lot of years and last year was probably his best.  But I have no idea what is happening with him. On one play he could not decide to rush the passer or cover the back so he just stood there in between the two and did nothing. So strange to see this.  

If my memory serves me well, it's not the first time in his career that Kerrigan started the season slow. That already happened to him 3/4 years ago if I'm right. Guy was nearly invisible, only getting blatant holding calls. Then as the season goes on and on, he takes advantage of this and starts racking up numbers.

Just checked, that was 2015 where he had .5 sack after 3 games and 4 tackles throughout 3 weeks. 2016: 1.5 sacks in 4 games,

He's never been much of a tackler anyway, he's mostly used as a pass rusher guy...

So it's not that unusual after all...

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

Second half the Skins went into a shell and fell into the run, run, pass trap. They tried a RPO on one second down that Smith handed off for a negligible gain. But I don't understand why they fall into that mind set after such an excellent first half.

In the prediction thread I said the Skins win 21-17 because the Packers D isn't as good as the Colts. We saw that on full display yesterday. Their defense is extremely suspect.

Hopefully I can expand further on my thoughts later, but I'm crunched for time. Look forward to seeing your thoughts.

What is not to understand about how we game planned in the second half?  We are up 28-17 when we got the ball the first time.  We did go run-run but we got it 3-5 and the screen we called has often worked. Our next possession we initially were going for a kill shot and that failed. They did get a roughing call. Now a good run got nullified with a penalty. You are now into quarter 4.  On our first 4th quarter possession, AP gets a solid run on first down.  We are trying to pass on a 2-6 but can't stop their pass rush  and end up getting called for holding. The next time we get the ball half the 4th is over, we have a two possession lead and our defense is playing well. Next possession, we are still up 28-17 and really want to force GB to use all its timeouts plus burn maximum clock. Last possession, victory call.

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Boom. Just hit repeat.

That is a grown ass man play right there. Literally sacked Rodgers by throwing his own Tackle on top of him. Ioan may not be the fastest guy off the ball but he's freakin relentless, strong as an ox, and has some nice moves for a big guy.

2 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Yep, we are actually 20th in YPA, which is more accurate than cumulative yards. 

It makes sense though. The Colts and Packers are both pass first teams. Redskins rarely, if ever, are dropping 8 into the box since the big concern is the quarterbacks, so when they do run, it is against a 6 or 7 man front, which can leave some lanes open. 

The big leads they have had also caused them to let the other teams run the ball if they wanted to since it would eat time off the clock and eliminate big play opportunities, causing the offense to have to dink and dunk there way down the field and be perfect. The leads have been big enough (holy crap, when have any of us ever said that phrase in regards to the redskins) that the goal was just to milk clock in whatever way possible. 

I dont expect a 4.5 ypa by the end of the year when it averages out more. I expect to see that number drop. 

I think the Redskins, more or less purposefully, let the Packers have the run game. They were hell bent on not letting Rodgers beat them and bet that the Packers wouldn't have the ability to stick to the run game. Moreover, when Washington wanted to shut down Green Bay's run game, they pretty much did. The formation with the line really spread out was to keep Rodgers contained, but left huge gaps for runners.

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I think the Redskins, more or less purposefully, let the Packers have the run game. They were hell bent on not letting Rodgers beat them and bet that the Packers wouldn't have the ability to stick to the run game. Moreover, when Washington wanted to shut down Green Bay's run game, they pretty much did. The formation with the line really spread out was to keep Rodgers contained, but left huge gaps for runners.

I hope this is true, time will tell. There's two teams in our division that will be relying on their run games when they face us and they have the backs capable of having a big day. 

10 minutes ago, my_friend_goo said:

I hope this is true, time will tell. There's two teams in our division that will be relying on their run games when they face us and they have the backs capable of having a big day. 

Yeah, the Giants in particular have Barkley, but also receivers we will likely struggle with - that’s a tough matchup.  Thankfully, they also have Eli.  

6 hours ago, Why am I Mr. Pink? said:

That comment, the way you fashion it .. comes off as condescending. Id like to think I understand how a defensive line works as a unit as much as 90% of the posters here. Maybe you are in the 10% or so who played college football or coach HS football, in that case I would defer to you. Let me know. 

I understand that an outside pass rush can force the QB to have to step into the pocket more where interior D lineman can then get a sack or pressure. And it can work vice versa, interior push flushes the Qb out. You are not dropping any knowledge that i dont know or what you cant learn from sports talk radio. 

But Kerrigan has had a quiet 3 games. He took 86 snaps in week 1 and 2 and had 1 tackle. Yesterday he had 1 tackle and a couple holding penalties he drew. He was going up against a spot starter in Spriggs who he beat for the holding calls and I gave Kerrigan credit for turning the corner a bit and forcing Rodgers to have to step in. 

You may take it as condescending if you wish, after a great defensive performance you oddly decided to go out of your way to criticize a player who had a big hand in that by directly costing the opposing team 20 yards on key plays.

I know you want to claim you know a lot about it, because you literally gave really basic advice to a multiple pro-bowler on how to improve his pass rush after a game where it was effective, but I dont think youll find too many people on here agreeing with you, or thinking you understand it that well based on that or your knowledge of his...age.  Maybe just wait until the guy doesnt get the near equivalent of a couple of sacks in a game.

5 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

And on the other side of the coin, I have never understood why calling a NFL player a B/B+ and not a Miller/Mack/Watt is a slap in the face. 

I think we are saying the same thing...he's reliable and usually very effective. He probably isn't someone that coordinators stay up at night scheming around. Because he never misses time and plays extremely hard, he is usually a 10-sack guy. But, make no mistake, that's not the same as being a player who disrupts an offense.  

Kerrigan is in the mid to lower end of the top tier pass rushers.

Archived