Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

What makes you think Sweat will be better than Ferrell?

I like his explosiveness off the line, quickness and the way he uses his hands and arms. 

Ferrell is a really good player but I don't see him as a big pressure guy. That's what it sounds like they are looking for and Sweat brings the heat better.

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

I like his explosiveness off the line, quickness and the way he uses his hands and arms. 

Ferrell is a really good player but I don't see him as a big pressure guy. That's what it sounds like they are looking for and Sweat brings the heat better.

I'd argue Ferrell uses his hands/arms better than Sweat, I'd also argue Sweat does not show quickness/speed on tape that you'd assume he has given his combine testing.

56 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I think Metcalf goes before our pick.. prolly top 10. High profile receivers with those kind of combine numbers don't generally last long. 

I hope so. That will help push a better player down the board to us. Metcalf is a weird situation because I could see him going super high or falling. If some team gets googly eyed over his size/physique, straight line speed, and explosion they might convince themselves that he's worth a really high pick. But I think there will be more teams that will watch his tape (and look at his other combine numbers) and see a guy who has poor agility/change of direction ability, ran a total of about 3 routes in college, and had injury concerns and they'll take him off of their 1st round board. 

https://dynastyguruff.blog/2019/04/10/the-2019-prospect-success-indicator-report/

So this is interesting.  It argues for N'Keal Harry to be the 1st WR taken.  I'm not quite sure what the methodology is, but it combines dominator rating, breakout age, and a few other things.

The 2018 version lists Trey Quinn as the #7 WR in that draft.

The 2017 version lists Robert Davis as the #12 WR in that draft.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

https://dynastyguruff.blog/2019/04/10/the-2019-prospect-success-indicator-report/

So this is interesting.  It argues for N'Keal Harry to be the 1st WR taken.  I'm not quite sure what the methodology is, but it combines dominator rating, breakout age, and a few other things.

Breakout age is a really interesting metric that I wasn't aware of as far as its correlation to NFL success but @The Consiglierehas been talking about it recently so I've looked at it some and the correlation certainly seems to be apparent. That metric really dings Butler. 

As far as Harry, I would take him before Metcalf or Butler if we're talking about X receiver prospects. He doesn't have the pure straight line speed and explosion of Metcalf or the ludicrous wingspan of Butler but he's a better/more experienced route runner, seems to have very good agility, is a great contested ball guy, and doesn't have any of the drop issues that Butler and Metcalf have had. I wouldn't take him at 15 as I think there will be some great pass rush talent at that spot (or Hockenson if he's still available), but if we traded back into the 20's and got him I think it would be a good value. 

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'd argue Ferrell uses his hands/arms better than Sweat, I'd also argue Sweat does not show quickness/speed on tape that you'd assume he has given his combine testing.

They have many similar traits but IMO Sweat is quicker and shows great anticipation. They way he is able to use his hands and long arms along with his athletic abilities with counters makes me think his ceiling is higher at getting to the QB especially with some NFL coaching. Again Ferrell is a really good player whose Clemson team was like a group of men among boys over past few years. Also some of his game was more semi bully run at the OT which wouldn't work at the next level (I don't think) .As a result I believe his production may deflate some at the next level. 

The closer the draft gets the more I want them to trade down and accumulate picks, there are just too many holes need to be addressed.  

2 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Dominator weights the total percentage of a teams reception yardage, and touchdowns owned by a player. Anything above 45% is considered extraordinary for prospects. Sometimes people refer to it as market share. The #'s can be tweaked by how heavily TD receptions are weighed (and considering that sometimes, TD's can involve a bit of randomness, the heavier you weigh them, the more potential there is for distortion at the pro level-not sure how distortive it is at the college level).

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree as for chasing receivers who will be successful.  I bring up contested catches with Rosen because he is a risk taker and is willing to give receivers contested 50-50 chances.  I am looking for receivers who can separate, good route runners, can beat press coverage/good release, can bring YAC, etc.  But watching Rosen one of the things that hit me is I don't think we've had a QB here in recent memory who takes as many chances as he does.  So I do think a receiver with some strong hands and is adept at fighting for the ball -- can be helpful.   Having said that I don't really have a man crush on any receiver -- the closest for me was Marquise Brown who I gushed about last fall.  I like a bunch of them though. 

An article you might like based upon your fondness for Marquise Brown:

link

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/reception-perception-marquise-brown-may-have-the-best-film-of-any-wr-in-2019-nfl-draft-class/

23 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Dominator weights the total percentage of a teams reception yardage, and touchdowns owned by a player. Anything above 45% is considered extraordinary for prospects. Sometimes people refer to it as market share. The #'s can be tweaked by how heavily TD receptions are weighed (and considering that sometimes, TD's can involve a bit of randomness, the heavier you weigh them, the more potential there is for distortion at the pro level-not sure how distortive it is at the college level).

Oh it's based off of percentage for passing offense?  I thought it was the entire offense?  No matter, I don't think it changes much besides making some guys look much better (Hockenson for example).

4 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

What attributes do you think the Skins should look for in an OLB?  A Kerrigan clone?  A guy that can both rush and drop and cover?  Is Ferrell best suited as an OLB or as a 4-3 DE? Is he best suited to their nickel defense?  I think Ferrell will likely be available at 15 and perhaps somewhat lower.  Is he a "difference maker" that Gruden covets (not that pre-draft comments mean anything).

2 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

What attributes do you think the Skins should look for in an OLB?  A Kerrigan clone?  A guy that can both rush and drop and cover?  Is Ferrell best suited as an OLB or as a 4-3 DE? Is he best suited to their nickel defense?  I think Ferrell will likely be available at 15 and perhaps somewhat lower.  Is he a "difference maker" that Gruden covets (not that pre-draft comments mean anything).

Probably not a "difference maker", but neither is Sweat.  In terms of classic things our FO looks for, it's Ferrell way up there.  Winner, competitor, has some "dog" in him, defends the run, etc.

The awkward thing with Kerrigan is, he's getting older, and he's our only good Edge.  We can draft literally any style of Edge right now and it'd be a good pick because how long is Kerrigan going to be around?  2 more years?  3?  4 is pushing it.  He's likely retired by the time whatever Edge guy we draft has their contract up.

Ferrell and Sweat wouldn't be the best complement to Kerrigan.  But they would make sure the franchise has an Edge cornerstone in place as Kerrigan ages.  If we want the best complement to our talented DL and Kerrigan.  It's Brian Burns, Josh Allen, maybe Chase Winovich, and was Jachai Polite before it was revealed how much of a head case he is.

P.S.  Sweat has one stat that hurts his predictions for NFL success.  Whenever the next SACKseer comes out from FO, it'll point out how Sweat has 0 passes deflected in his college career.  Ferrell has 5.  Burns has 7.  Josh Allen has 8.  Bosa has 2 (although he barely played this past college season).

15 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

To me it seems like they're saying two different things. First they say they want a guy who can contribute immediately but then they say they want a difference maker. Usually to get a guy who's both you need to be pretty high in the draft. A guy who's ready from day one but also has elite upside is unlikely to get out of the top 5 or top 10 picks (though it also depends some on position). Otherwise you're either looking at a guy who's really well rounded and pro ready but may not have crazy upside or a guy who has crazy upside as a difference maker but may not be polished and ready right away. 

I would see Ferrell as the former and a guy like Burns as the latter. Sweat seems to fall somewhere in the middle. 

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

An article you might like based upon your fondness for Marquise Brown:

link

https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/reception-perception-marquise-brown-may-have-the-best-film-of-any-wr-in-2019-nfl-draft-class/

Thanks for that.  His Lisfrank injury has me concerned.  I heard someone say though that the Lisfrank wasn't a full break or something to the effect of it not being a severe version of it.  But I don't know for sure.  So I'd need to be reassured on the medicals.  Otherwise he screams to me star just like the article stated. 

I went to see the Oklahoma-Alabama game in person mainly to see Marquise play since my man crush on him was building throughout the college season.  He though barely played and was playing with the foot injury in that game.  The insane thing is I re-watched that game recently and the dude did still look fast.

Some say he would have run in the 4.2's if he could have run in the combine.    But I am pulled to offensive players who look like they belong in video games where they are so explosive that they just jump at you where you don't really have to intellectualize much about their game.   For me in this draft that dude is Marquise. 

I've listened  to Hoffman enough to be convinced he's gotten these names directly from sources to the team.  I've heard for example him say multiple times that he knows the FO loves Marquise Brown.  Having said that he's also the same dude who keeps saying the team hasn't made up their mind yet as for their draft board, etc. so its all a work in progress.

https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/nfl-draft-prospects-redskins-arent-linked-should-be

Draft prospects Redskins aren't linked with but should be

APRIL 11, 2019 - 9:20 AM

By Craig Hoffman

With less than three weeks to go until the NFL Draft, it might be easier to name the players not linked with the Redskins amongst the top 20 prospects than those that haven’t been. However, there are some names that haven’t been mentioned as much that should be. Some are based on position while some are simply unlikely to fall to the Skins at No. 15.

Here are a few names that haven’t been tied to Washington that wouldn’t surprise me if they became Redskins on draft day.

Ed Oliver - DT, Houston: Oliver is a physical freak who would be best used as a 3-technique (defensive tackle who lines up between the guard and tackle) at the NFL level, but could have some versatility thanks to his athleticism. The reason nobody would ever mock him to Washington is that the Redskins have taken defensive tackles with their draft picks in the last two years. They’ve also hit on late rounders Matt Ioannidis and Tim Settle. In fact, you could argue it’s easily their best position group. However, Oliver is a different kind of player than Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne. The Houston prospect is extremely quick twitch, drawing comparisons from some scouts to Aaron Donald-like traits. 

Ultimately I expect Oliver to be gone by 15, but should he fall don’t be surprised if the Redskins are unable to pass on his talent. On the depth chart, they don’t need him but he would bring a skillset they don’t have to a defense that still needs playmakers at all three levels.

Jonah Williams - OL, Alabama: Of course there’s an Alabama player on this list! We’ll have more on the Redskins relationship with Alabama next week, but Williams needs to be mentioned here. He’s a top-flight talent that would help the Redskins from day 1. Most teams would draft him as a tackle, where he is ready to play, but Washington could start his career at left guard with a plan to move him outside when they’re ready to move on from Trent Williams or Morgan Moses.

Williams is an A+ character prospect. He’s everything the Redskins love about Alabama players, including that he’s really good at football. It would seem almost crazy to invest even more top end resources on the o-line, but at the rate Moses and Trent Williams are breaking down, it seems unlikely Jonah Williams would reach the end of his rookie contract before he replaces one of the two. He’s less likely than Oliver to drop all the way to 15, but I saw two different mock drafts today that had him falling to Minnesota at No. 18. If he’s there at 15, the Redskins will think about drafting him.

Marquise Brown - WR, Oklahoma: Nobody would be surprised if the Redskins took a playmaker, but I think some may be surprised at how early Washington could take Brown. Every team looks at medical issues differently, and the Redskins have shown a willingness to take some risk in this department. Obviously, some of that hasn’t paid off with the litany of injuries that have derailed the last two seasons, but in some ways, it’s also proof to just take the best player. You can’t predict injuries. Anybody can get hurt, so why not just take the player who can most help your football team?

Enter Brown, who might have had a shot at John Ross’s 4.22 40-yard dash record if he ran at the combine. He couldn’t because of a Lisfranc injury that will keep him out until training camp, but if he’s on pace to be ready for the start of the season why wouldn’t a team take him basically as high as he would go without the injury? The Redskins need playmakers like the Wizards needed to fire Ernie Grunfeld. Brown would add a desperately needed vertical threat with a player who is as close to Desean Jackson as there is in this draft. N’Keal Harry is another possibility at wide receiver, but he’s been linked to the Redskins plenty. Keep an eye out for Brown, more likely in a trade back scenario, but if the board falls just right maybe the Skins pull the trigger at 15.

Follow Redskins reporter Craig Hoffman and 106.7 The Fan on Twitter.

On 4/10/2019 at 9:26 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree as for chasing receivers who will be successful.  I bring up contested catches with Rosen because he is a risk taker and is willing to give receivers contested 50-50 chances.  I am looking for receivers who can separate, good route runners, can beat press coverage/good release, can bring YAC, etc.  But watching Rosen one of the things that hit me is I don't think we've had a QB here in recent memory who takes as many chances as he does.  So I do think a receiver with some strong hands and is adept at fighting for the ball -- can be helpful.   Having said that I don't really have a man crush on any receiver -- the closest for me was Marquise Brown who I gushed about last fall.  I like a bunch of them though. 

Bryce Love will be a huge value for someone for the same reason. Considering what he did in '17, he's well worth a draft and stash on day 3. Somebody might get a steal in him, and in the cost benefit analysis level, if he doesn't cut it, all you lose is a pick that misses more often than hits, even w/quality F.O.'s. Don't expect us to take him, especially w/the sketchy satellite back chops, but man, that kind of production in '17, it's worth the shot. Brown at a discount would be great too. 

Of those three I'd rather the Skins go with Jonah Williams.  He fills a short term and long term need and is appropriate value at 15.  I'm not sure that the Skins would use Brown appropriately - if they ask him to block or use him on screens the LBs may break him like a toothpick.  Oliver and Wilkins are both intriguing but there's a log jam on the Dline - Settle and Brantley need more playing time.  If the Skins can re-sign Ionnanidis to a reasonable contract then that would be preferable to drafting another DT/DE in round 1.  If they think they will have to let Ionnanidis go then I'd take the DT if the Skins think they can trade him for picks  (greater pick value than an expected comp pick).

Been watching some JJ Arcega Whiteside.  I like him, don't love him.  But as a late 2nd-early 3rd type I wouldn't mind him.  I prefer for example Deebo Samuel in the same range in the draft -- Deebo probably goes earlier.  He's physical.  He's a pure X guy or at least every game I can find of him he played X.   He is in the N'Keal Harry mode.  He's not the physical beast that Harry is.  And Harry from what I've seen is the better YAC guy.  Whiteside though might have better hands.  Neither guy is great at separating but Whiteside from what I saw has more wiggle and moves at the line of scrimmage to separate. 

I subscribed to Bob McGinn's draft series where he quotes scouts.  It's a paid account so I can't link it here but here is some of their rap on Whiteside.

It’s the year of the big receiver and Arcega-Whiteside could be one of the best. “He’s a big, power ‘X’ receiver almost like a Michael Irvin,” said one scout. “He’s not like the fastest guy but this dude knows how to run routes. He’s (expletive) physical and his ball skills are off the charts. He’s just a big go-up-and-get-it guy. Intriguing.” Had 135 receptions for a 16.3-yard average and 28 touchdowns in three seasons, including two as a starter. “It’ll all get down to his speed,” said another scout. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've listened  to Hoffman enough to be convinced he's gotten these names directly from sources to the team.  I've heard for example him say multiple times that he knows the FO loves Marquise Brown.  Having said that he's also the same dude who keeps saying the team hasn't made up their mind yet as for their draft board, etc. so its all a work in progress.

https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/nfl-draft-prospects-redskins-arent-linked-should-be

Draft prospects Redskins aren't linked with but should be

APRIL 11, 2019 - 9:20 AM

By Craig Hoffman

With less than three weeks to go until the NFL Draft, it might be easier to name the players not linked with the Redskins amongst the top 20 prospects than those that haven’t been. However, there are some names that haven’t been mentioned as much that should be. Some are based on position while some are simply unlikely to fall to the Skins at No. 15.

Here are a few names that haven’t been tied to Washington that wouldn’t surprise me if they became Redskins on draft day.

Ed Oliver - DT, Houston: Oliver is a physical freak who would be best used as a 3-technique (defensive tackle who lines up between the guard and tackle) at the NFL level, but could have some versatility thanks to his athleticism. The reason nobody would ever mock him to Washington is that the Redskins have taken defensive tackles with their draft picks in the last two years. They’ve also hit on late rounders Matt Ioannidis and Tim Settle. In fact, you could argue it’s easily their best position group. However, Oliver is a different kind of player than Jonathan Allen and Daron Payne. The Houston prospect is extremely quick twitch, drawing comparisons from some scouts to Aaron Donald-like traits. 

Ultimately I expect Oliver to be gone by 15, but should he fall don’t be surprised if the Redskins are unable to pass on his talent. On the depth chart, they don’t need him but he would bring a skillset they don’t have to a defense that still needs playmakers at all three levels.

Jonah Williams - OL, Alabama: Of course there’s an Alabama player on this list! We’ll have more on the Redskins relationship with Alabama next week, but Williams needs to be mentioned here. He’s a top-flight talent that would help the Redskins from day 1. Most teams would draft him as a tackle, where he is ready to play, but Washington could start his career at left guard with a plan to move him outside when they’re ready to move on from Trent Williams or Morgan Moses.

Williams is an A+ character prospect. He’s everything the Redskins love about Alabama players, including that he’s really good at football. It would seem almost crazy to invest even more top end resources on the o-line, but at the rate Moses and Trent Williams are breaking down, it seems unlikely Jonah Williams would reach the end of his rookie contract before he replaces one of the two. He’s less likely than Oliver to drop all the way to 15, but I saw two different mock drafts today that had him falling to Minnesota at No. 18. If he’s there at 15, the Redskins will think about drafting him.

Marquise Brown - WR, Oklahoma: Nobody would be surprised if the Redskins took a playmaker, but I think some may be surprised at how early Washington could take Brown. Every team looks at medical issues differently, and the Redskins have shown a willingness to take some risk in this department. Obviously, some of that hasn’t paid off with the litany of injuries that have derailed the last two seasons, but in some ways, it’s also proof to just take the best player. You can’t predict injuries. Anybody can get hurt, so why not just take the player who can most help your football team?

Enter Brown, who might have had a shot at John Ross’s 4.22 40-yard dash record if he ran at the combine. He couldn’t because of a Lisfranc injury that will keep him out until training camp, but if he’s on pace to be ready for the start of the season why wouldn’t a team take him basically as high as he would go without the injury? The Redskins need playmakers like the Wizards needed to fire Ernie Grunfeld. Brown would add a desperately needed vertical threat with a player who is as close to Desean Jackson as there is in this draft. N’Keal Harry is another possibility at wide receiver, but he’s been linked to the Redskins plenty. Keep an eye out for Brown, more likely in a trade back scenario, but if the board falls just right maybe the Skins pull the trigger at 15.

Follow Redskins reporter Craig Hoffman and 106.7 The Fan on Twitter.

I hadn't really considered Jonah Williams much until reading this. Very interesting that actually makes a ton of sense. I would say that the injuries along the offensive line have blunted this teams potential for success as much or more than any other factor the last few years. If he can play guard you would improve both the run and pass immediately, and protect yourself from injury on the bookends. I like that a lot. Thanks for sharing

1 hour ago, teamcal00 said:

I hadn't really considered Jonah Williams much until reading this. Very interesting that actually makes a ton of sense. I would say that the injuries along the offensive line have blunted this teams potential for success as much or more than any other factor the last few years. If he can play guard you would improve both the run and pass immediately, and protect yourself from injury on the bookends. I like that a lot. Thanks for sharing

agreed... Skins should absolutely be planning on life after Williams and (hopefully sooner rather than later, Moses) The same way they built up the Dline they should start building Oline with healthy young studs for initially depth and then replacement. This will both improve running game and make even Keenum look above average. (ala Cowboys from a couple of years back)

1. great D

2. Great Oline

3. Great running game/ short passing

Thats playoffs every year

4 hours ago, The Consigliere said:

Bryce Love will be a huge value for someone for the same reason. Considering what he did in '17, he's well worth a draft and stash on day 3. Somebody might get a steal in him, and in the cost benefit analysis level, if he doesn't cut it, all you lose is a pick that misses more often than hits, even w/quality F.O.'s. Don't expect us to take him, especially w/the sketchy satellite back chops, but man, that kind of production in '17, it's worth the shot. Brown at a discount would be great too. 

I was a big Love guy last college season when I thought he would declare, I've barely spoken about him this time.  I almost mentioned him when I talked just now about Whiteside because in the games I watched, Love still looked explosive.  I know he had a down year and is coming off of an ACL but watching him some reignited my man crush to a degree from 2017-18.    Not sure how he'd fit this current roster though especially if the beat guys are correct that they likely go only 3 RBs this year on the roster because they likely go with 3 QBs. 

• I wouldn’t want to fight D.K. Metcalf or race him, but I can’t find many teams that like him nearly enough to take him in the first round. Nor do I think there are many good options at the wide receiver position, period. We mentioned Monday how the Colts signing Devin Funchess was, in part, an acknowledgement that weren’t answers there for them in the draft, in the way of starting-level receivers, and I don’t Indianapolis is alone. A bunch of teams, in fact, could look at next year’s receiver crop (Alabama’s Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs and DeVonta Smith, Tennessee’s Tee Higgins, Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb, Colorado’s Laviska Shenault), and try to find a way to kick the can down the

• I get a sense from teams that the overall rankings of players hasn’t changed much since the end of the college season. There are two guys at the top of the class: Ohio State DE Nick Bosa and Alabama DT Quinnen Williams. LSU LB Devin White is close to that caliber, too—with him, it’s a matter of positional value. And Kentucky LB Josh Allen isn’t far off either, I’ve just had a hard time placing him in the draft order, maybe because he doesn’t fit everyone the same way the other three guys do. As always, quarterbacks certainly could affect how these guys come off the board.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/11/nfl-cba-collective-bargaining-agreement-nflpa-jerry-jones-minneapolis?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb

22 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

The top 2 picks need to be OL, anything else is just stupid.  

Depends on who is available. Would you draft a 4th round talent in the 1st just because he is the top OL on your board?  Locking yourself in for need is not smart.  That said my preference also leans toward OL if the value is there (Jonah Williams would be great). 

Archived