Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't think Lock or Rosen are "win now QB's".  Both have issues and need development.  I guess the argument would be how quickly can they develop and change?  Honestly, I don't think either can within 1 year. 

Neither do I and I've made that same point.  But its irrelevant what I think.  Jay flat out suggested that he thinks Lock is pro ready or said something to that effect.  And apparently, they like Rosen.  Jay hinted that Haskins might not be on the table because he doesn't see him as pro ready.    So this all paints a picture.  Unless its an orchestrated smoke screen.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I still think Brett Rypien in the 5th round (or whatever), is among the best value in the draft at QB.  Is he a long term starter?  Probably not.  Is he a long term backup who can come in and play OK in an emergency?  Yes.  He's better value in the 5th than Jones/Lock/Haskins are at #15 in the 1st, or Grier in the 2nd.

I am ok with Rypien.  I disagree that he'd be the best value.  But I am a bit burned out talking QBs so I won't elaborate on that for now.  

you all forget that

1. Gruden does not have the final say on draft decisions, so whether he wants a developmental qb or not does not really matter

2. Gruden might not even be here next year, so Allen is most likely motivated to get a QB they can groom and then finding a coach that can work with this QB

58 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Is anyone as irritated by Jay's "Ready to play QB/player" line as I am?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but as seems as if he would take a lesser overall prospect because he was "game ready immediately".

That's how you end up 7-9, 8-8 year after year.

Self preservation. 

2 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Is anyone as irritated by Jay's "Ready to play QB/player" line as I am?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but as seems as if he would take a lesser overall prospect because he was "game ready immediately".

That's how you end up 7-9, 8-8 year after year.

it's also how you end up passing on a guy like Derwin James. Now, granted, that one doesn't sting as much since Payne looks to be a very good player. But James had the insane upside and talent. I like Payne but at least for now it seems like he isn't anything near the kind of game changing player that James is. 

I have a sinking feeling that we might do the same thing this draft with an edge rusher. Go with a safe guy like Ferrell who is good and well rounded but IMO isn't the kind of potential freak passing rushing threat like Sweat or Burns could be.

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

it's also how you end up passing on a guy like Derwin James. Now, granted, that one doesn't sting as much since Payne looks to be a very good player. But James had the insane upside and talent. I like Payne but at least for now it seems like he isn't anything near the kind of game changing player that James is. 

I have a sinking feeling that we might do the same thing this draft with an edge rusher. Go with a safe guy like Ferrell who is good and well rounded but IMO isn't the kind of potential freak passing rushing threat like Sweat or Burns could be.

I could definitely see that, not least because we’ve gone that route with Smith, Murphy and Anderson - high floor guys with what I would call moderate ceilings.  To be fair, they were all 2nd rounders, so maybe they throw a change up in the 1st (if they can, considering Swear and Burns may be gone by 15).  

Because I love you kind & gentle folks, here’s a 25 year old monster from Brazil. Durval Neto will be at camp with an NFL team this summer, he’s had some great workout numbers, but it’s tough to get a read on the competition, South American football is a bit like the ACC, Big 12, PAC 12, & Big Ten ... weak. 

This dude can move. 

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

I am worried of the same and not a fan of Ferrell at 15.  They are making it sound like they really are seeking disruption so thinking if Sweat and Burns are gone they may move to the 3rd round for an edge.  Possible names would be Miller, Winovich, Ximines, Carney, Banogu or Polite depending on how he presents himself prior to the draft.

9 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yeah they seem to be somewhat conservative with a bit of a need based approach at times to the draft.   I like Ferrell and wouldn't be upset if they took him.  But Burns to me is the higher upside/explosive pass rusher. Higher ceiling.  I like Sweat, not sure if he falls, and I do think they'd take him because he's decent against the run.   

I think oddly this approach has partly (not the main reason though) contributed to this team's issue with a declining fan base as for ticket sales and TV ratings.  They have drafted relatively well for years now.  But they have really struggled to draft stars or people that draw more casual fans to games.  Lets take Derwin James.  The dude is called around the league as the closest thing in the NFL to the next Sean Taylor.  He's a charismatic player who can do it all.  Would he help them sell tickets?  I think so.  He's a national conversation type player.  Dan (aside from a punter) has had zero first team all pros since he's been here.  James was a first team all pro in his rookie year. 

For me I don't care about star power and selling tickets.  I want to win.  But to that point, I still think James was the better pick last year.  And the fact that we have a loaded D line draft this year makes me feel double on that point.  We'd be talking about guys like Wilkins at our pick this time.    And yeah I like Payne but that wouldn't have been my pick.

It is what it is.  But that's why I think Finlay has a point about not trading down in the first this year saying they need a star-mega impact player - they have enough "good" players.  I somewhat agree even though I like the depth in this draft.

For me right now my top choices would be Hockenson and Burns.  Hockenson is looking unlikely to be there but Burns is likely there.  Seems like there is a shot Sweat is there.  I love his athleticism but I admit I haven't really studied him, yet.  I do like Ferrell but not as much.  I haven't watched much Devin Bush.  His profile though is intriguing.  He can play Mike MLB and pair with Foster to have two fast MLBs.  He's a leader, film rat, decent against the pass.   Manusky who isn't an exotic blitz type does though like his share of blitzes where the MLBs rush up the A gap. That's one of his Bush's things.  I've only though watched a couple of games of his.

It seems evident if it bears out this way (them drafting an OLB high) that the FO isn't convinced Ryan Anderson is the man at OLB.  He seems to be a good run stopper but I gather he doesn't bring enough pass rush.  I like his leadership-attitude.  But it brings me back to the number of draft geeks who say short arm pass rushers rarely succeed let alone ones without much speed and have poor agility.  But I am gathering they view him as more of a rotational backup like how he's been used thus far.  

on another note, Cooley likes Warring.  And Cooley isn't an easy man to please he seems to slam more prospects than tout.  Since he played TE, I take him most seriously on this position.  I've watched a little of Warring but not much. Big dude.  Not a lot of production though, yet.  An absolute athletic freak though especially for his size.

So as for TE's Cooley so far has said he likes Hockenson, Warring, Sternberger.  But he's not enamored with Noah Fant.  He thinks that TE is the bigger need on this team as opposed to WR.  His thought plays off of what's been discussed here including by me -- our one dimensional TEs limit what the offense can do and is too much of a tell for opposing defenses.  So he thinks we are desperate for a Y type TE. 

While Cooley isn't high in Fant I would think the FO could View him as having star potential in the receiving game and can block albeit not his best attribute. 

Did Cooley speak of any other TE's. I'd be interested in his take on others that would be around in the 3rd or 4th rounds like Kaden Smith, Nauta, Knox and Oliver.

I agree not to sleep on Bush at 15!

48 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah they seem to be somewhat conservative with a bit of a need based approach at times to the draft.   

It is what it is.  But that's why I think Finlay has a point about not trading down in the first this year saying they need a star-mega impact player - they have enough "good" players.  I somewhat agree even though I like the depth in this draft.

For me right now my top choices would be Hockenson and Burns.  Hockenson is looking unlikely to be there but Burns is likely there.  Seems like there is a shot Sweat is there.  I love his athleticism but I admit I haven't really studied him, yet.  

Skins do have a need for a difference maker at any of a number of positions.  The concern that everyone has is whether any of the available players at 15 will be a difference maker along the lines of Derwin James or just a solid blue chip type.  The overall roster has improved - players that are cut are now picked up by other teams (it wasn't always so!!!!!).  But yes there aren't enough impact players.   Draft QBs will affect the Skins' options tremendously.  Teams aren't going to pass on top edge rushers; and you will always have the truly elite DTs and OTs go; then it's a question of individual players:  one WR?  a TE?  one or two CBs?  ILB?  Who knows.  I'm ready to find out.  I'm back to Edge; TE; WR; G/T in the first four picks.  But each player has to fit what the Skins are trying to do.  I have my wish list but it's more important that the player have a productive career with the Skins.  Lastly, I'm hoping the Skins can take advantage of DL depth after the "top" players have been picked - one guy that is ready in year 2 would be perfect.   

On 4/7/2019 at 8:58 PM, Brixtion_skin said:

Where is Russell Wilson?

Wilson was drafted on the 2nd day (3rd round), not the 3rd day (rounds 4-7).

Also just a heads-up; that was a big quote for just a four word reply. It's generally accepted (and a rule, I believe) that you edit down such a big quote before replying. :cheers:

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

While Cooley isn't high in Fant I would think the FO could View him as having star potential in the receiving game and can block albeit not his best attribute. 

Did Cooley speak of any other TE's. I'd be interested in his take on others that would be around in the 3rd or 4th rounds like Kaden Smith, Nauta, Knox and Oliver.

I agree not to sleep on Bush at 15!

He didn't really elaborate much.  It was on a Sheehan podcast. So I presume he will ultimately go into depth on his own podcast.  He did a film review of Hockenson awhile ago where he liked his tools but thought he was a bit overrated because he found him inconsistent but has since backed off and now seems to love him.  For Fant, I was just half paying attention and if I heard him right he implied he was more or less he's a raw route runner and he doesn't buy into the rap that Fant is a decent blocker.  Forgot how he said it and it was quick so I was left with that impression somehow if I heard him right.  He didn't elaborate on why he liked Sternberger and Warring. 

I mentioned Ryan Anderson in my previous post because if he is the real goods then it would make it easier for them to take someone like Devin Bush.  And I am not sold on Bush yet from watching him but if he is who some say he is -- then he'd really help this team.  The one thing that really struck me about Dallas' defense which is clearly better than ours is the difference might be in their stud MLBs.   If you got a good D line AND monster MLBs -- that's difficult to contend with.   

17 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Skins do have a need for a difference maker at any of a number of positions.  The concern that everyone has is whether any of the available players at 15 will be a difference maker along the lines of Derwin James or just a solid blue chip type.  The overall roster has improved - players that are cut are now picked up by other teams (it wasn't always so!!!!!).  But yes there aren't enough impact players.   Draft QBs will affect the Skins' options tremendously.  Teams aren't going to pass on top edge rushers; and you will always have the truly elite DTs and OTs go; then it's a question of individual players:  one WR?  a TE?  one or two CBs?  ILB?  Who knows.  I'm ready to find out.  I'm back to Edge; TE; WR; G/T in the first four picks.  But each player has to fit what the Skins are trying to do.  I have my wish list but it's more important that the player have a productive career with the Skins.  Lastly, I'm hoping the Skins can take advantage of DL depth after the "top" players have been picked - one guy that is ready in year 2 would be perfect.   

Keim was on 980 today he seems to think they might trade back if the end up giving up a 2nd for Rosen.    Tough call for me because I don't love the pass rushers later in the first round the way I would for lets say Burns, Sweat, Ferrell.  Winovich I guess would be my fav as to a late first-early-mid 2nd pass rusher.  If I am trading down I might be looking at some of the O lineman and receivers.  Having said that the 2nd round (sort of like how it was last year for Rbs) is the sweet spot for receiver.   So I have mixed feelings on it since there is an obvious upside to having a 2nd round pick. 

I haven't formed an opinion on Warring yet but his profile intrigues me some

JM: You eventually zoned in on football, tight end to be specific. What do you love about playing tight end?

KW: They measured me at 6-foot-5 at the combine. I thought I was 6-foot-6, but that’s a different story (laughs). I love that playing tight end allows me to get big and strong, but still allows me to utilize all of my athleticism to go run routes and face guys 1-on-1. It allows me to become an offensive linemen and get physical at the line. I can bully people at the perimeter. I get to make plays against linebackers and safeties. They better be fast if they’re trying to cover me. It’s the ultimate mismatch in the game of football.

JM: What kind of impact is Kahale Warring going to make at the next level?

KW: I think I’m gonna make a huge impact. I think I can bring a positive change and energy to the organization. I can make a huge contribution to whichever team decides to take a chance on me.

Haven't listened to Cooley's take on Warring yet, but I've been waffling on if he's #3 or #4 in my TE rankings between him and Irv Smith.

I'm feeling more confident that Irv Smith will last to #46 if we want him.  He's going to be a solid TE in the league for awhile, that every team wants on their roster.  That said, he's got a clear ceiling.

If Cooley is right, and if Jay has enough sway in the draft room, and they echo all of our thoughts about TE being a need...this is the perfect draft for it.  Uncharacteristically talented with guys who can do a variety of things.

11 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Haven't listened to Cooley's take on Warring yet, but I've been waffling on if he's #3 or #4 in my TE rankings between him and Irv Smith.

I'm feeling more confident that Irv Smith will last to #46 if we want him.  He's going to be a solid TE in the league for awhile, that every team wants on their roster.  That said, he's got a clear ceiling.

If Cooley is right, and if Jay has enough sway in the draft room, and they echo all of our thoughts about TE being a need...this is the perfect draft for it.  Uncharacteristically talented with guys who can do a variety of things.

It's been awhile since I looked at Irv Smith.  He was one of my man crushes during the college season, though.  Yeah I agree I think there is a shot that he's there in the 2nd.  He didn't have a good combine which I think contributes to that fall.   

12 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/crabbs--2019--what-would-i-do--mock-draft

Interesting Mock.  He goes off of his own rankings, which means Josh Allen falls to #15.  He's not doing as much positional value and reaches, so the first QB taken is at #17.

i stopped reading after metcalf at 4 to raiders.. even John Gruden is not that dumb.

Archived