Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

20 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Assuming the Skins like Tim Settle, it seems to me as if we have depth at DT and could move one of the 4 in a deal to either move up or get a WR? 

WR is deep this year. We could get the top WR at #15, or trade down and still get a very good WR up until the middle of the 2nd imo. After that, it really depends on the type of offense you are running. Having DL depth is not a bad thing. Its probably the first time in a decade that we ever had such a thing. Keep the DL that we have and look into the best edge rusher you can get with the second pick in this draft.

18 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Assuming the Skins like Tim Settle, it seems to me as if we have depth at DT and could move one of the 4 in a deal to either move up or get a WR? 

But to who and for what? I doubt the team is looking to trade Allen or Payne. And Settle is a fifth round rookie that barely played. So Settle doesn't have much trade value. That leaves the only DL likely to be moved to be Matt Ioannidis. But let's say you want to trade Ioannidis. Who are you trading to and for what? There really aren't any great WRs in this draft. It's quite possible all of them are available when the Redskins pick at 15. Maybe you have to trade up a few spots it you want a Metcalf or a Hockenson (a TE, but still a pass catcher). So would you want to trade Ioannidis to move up 3 spots in the first round? That seems like a weak return. If you're not trying to move up in the first, are you trying to trade Ioannidis for a later pick? But at that point, any WR you pick is more risky. Not to mention the Redskins have several picks they could use WRs on without trading Ioannidis. I suppose you could try and trade Ioannidis for an established WR. But who's available? Almost anyone of any worth would cost much more than just Ioannidis himself. And I'm not sure there's that much available. Maybe AJ Green?

@Anselmheifer I just got done watching two cut ups for Nasir Adderley.  Very impressed with what I saw.  He has a definite man among boys quality out there.  Am I crazy for seeing him as more of a box safety though?  I saw him tangoing with climbing guards and holding his own almost every time.  Very strong run support, very aggressive click and close zone guy who makes plays on the ball.  Very good at defending screens.  But I saw him playing mostly two deep and his most impressive plays seemed to come from the box.

I don't think he's got range limitations due to athleticism.  Looks like he runs very well and his closing speed is excellent.  But I do think he could struggle in a single high role.  I saw some processing issues like Zierlein mentioned.  Failures to read the QB and biting hard on shallow crossers and letting things develop behind him.  Biting hard on play action.  He's going to make mistakes and I think he's better suited to a two deep scheme like they ran at Delaware, or as a box duty safety than he would be playing single high.

Even still, I think he'd offer us value at our second round pick.  We don't have to put all of our eggs in Landon Collins's basket, and Adderly has a lot of versatility.  And his playmaking ability and tone setting ability are too good to pass up in a second round range just from a BPA perspective.

This article may not mean much coming from PFT but the more I think about it I think Arizona is more likely to take Bosa or trade down.  Think about it.  Why not stay with Rosen and see if it can work out with Kingsbury (which I think is possible) and if it doesn't work out take a QB in the 2020 draft.  A lot posters on this site believe the QBs in 2020 are better than Murray anyway so why wouldn't Arizona take Bosa and see how Rosen does in 2019.  I only seen Rosen play one game against the Broncos and was terrible but I don't it's a stretch for him to improve under Kingsbury.

I say all of this to set up the Redskins trading up to take Murray because this is what I hope to happen😁.  

Just evaluating the last two drafts and I can't help but notice  how good it appears we have done the last two drafts in rounds 5-7 

5th round Sprinkle- solid contributor best blocking TE on team and if he can grow as a receiver this season it will really improve this team.

6th round Davis- Question mark here but appeared to be making strides in the off season before his injury.

6th round Roullier- appears to be a draft steal and an average nfl starter at center already with potential to imporove.

7th JHC- has been a solid contributor since he arrived and is good coverage linebacker in nickle and dime situations.

7th round Hosley- has shown potential in nickle staying healthy an issue but has flashed at times.

5th round Settle- A great looking d-line prospect who I feel will be pushing The Big Greek for snaps this year.Has the look of a furure starter with tremendous potential.

6th round SDH- Started slow but really flashed when he got on the field late last year.I feel most people around here would agree he is a rock solid back up with a chance to be a solid starter and future leader on defense.

7th round Stroman- Got forced into action last year with injuries. He had his ups and downs as most would expect from a rookie 7th round pick.I am very interested in seeing what a full offseason in the weight room will do for him.I believe at worst he has the ability to be solid 4th corner with potential to grow into a starter.

7th round Quinn- This guy has really flashed.He appears to be a solid WR prospect and it's looking like he will have a significant role on this years team as the starting slot receiver.If healthy I could easily see him catching 60-70 balls this year.

With another 5 picks in the 2019 nfl draft in rounds 5-7 I hope we can continue to find contributors the way we have the last two years.  

3 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Reed to the Patriots for there 2nd or 3rd round pick. 

Gronk retired. 

HTTR 

LOL, this is insane.  Reed at this point isn’t worth more than a ham sandwich, and a side of fries.  We’d be lucky to get a 5th or a 6th rounder back for him.  He’s finished.

21 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

@Anselmheifer I just got done watching two cut ups for Nasir Adderley.  Very impressed with what I saw.  He has a definite man among boys quality out there.  Am I crazy for seeing him as more of a box safety though?  I saw him tangoing with climbing guards and holding his own almost every time.  Very strong run support, very aggressive click and close zone guy who makes plays on the ball.  Very good at defending screens.  But I saw him playing mostly two deep and his most impressive plays seemed to come from the box.

I don't think he's got range limitations due to athleticism.  Looks like he runs very well and his closing speed is excellent.  But I do think he could struggle in a single high role.  I saw some processing issues like Zierlein mentioned.  Failures to read the QB and biting hard on shallow crossers and letting things develop behind him.  Biting hard on play action.  He's going to make mistakes and I think he's better suited to a two deep scheme like they ran at Delaware, or as a box duty safety than he would be playing single high.

Even still, I think he'd offer us value at our second round pick.  We don't have to put all of our eggs in Landon Collins's basket, and Adderly has a lot of versatility.  And his playmaking ability and tone setting ability are too good to pass up in a second round range just from a BPA perspective.

Thanks for your input. He has such great ball skills and short area quickness. If your assessment is on point, maybe he is Tyrann Mathieu-lite instead of Earl Thomas-lite. That's still a very useful entity. Especially if he can play nickel CB/slot, which I think some have thought he might be up to. 

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Thanks for your input. He has such great ball skills and short area quickness. If your assessment is on point, maybe he is Tyrann Mathieu-lite instead of Earl Thomas-lite. That's still a very useful entity. Especially if he can play nickel CB/slot, which I think some have thought he might be up to.  

I think that slot corner is a very natural fit for him, and I could see this spot being how he gets on the field the fastest.  His versatility is one of his biggest selling points, because if a team needs a box safety, then they can take him, slot corner--same, deep safety--same.

The only position I would be hesitant to use him in is single high.  I think staying in a two deep role is his best fit, and if you combine that with playing him in the slot, you'll get the most out of him.  He's not the cleanest fit for us, because it'll require either having him or having Collins doing something they're not super comfortable with, or else just going to a straight up 4-2-5 scheme where Collins functions as a linebacker.  But I think we can absolutely use him.

And like I said before, even though we're paying him a ton of money, we don't necessarily need to be putting all of our eggs in his basket by drafting around him.  BPA is the best approach by far, and for all we know, Collins might not even be on the team when a draft pick like Adderly would be entering his prime.

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

How about, Patriots trade up to 15 to take Hockenson? 

Or Jared Cook in FA... or Martellus Bennett out of retirement since his brother is now playing in NE.....

Pats have many options, after all, they're the Pats... They'll be in the Super Bowl every year until they're not.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

...or else just going to a straight up 4-2-5 scheme where Collins functions as a linebacker.  But I think we can absolutely use him.

I've considered this. I posted about the Chargers using all DB's and no LB's against the Ravens. Foster is good in coverage and has speed. I think this could work as a package, if not the base defense. 

50 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

[Nasir Adderley has such great ball skills and short area quickness. maybe he is Tyrann Mathieu-lite instead of Earl Thomas-lite. That's still a very useful entity. Especially if he can play nickel CB/slot, which I think some have thought he might be up to. 

BPA is very important but I expect that BPA will present the Skins with equal choices between S, G, TE and WR.  How many safeties will the Skins likely keep on the roster?  We have Landon Collins, Montae Nicholson, Troy Apke, Deshasor Everett, and Adonis Alexander (if he's counted as a safety instead of corner).  There's still the possibility that the Skins may pick up a second tier safety in free agency.  Nicholson's future is uncertain but I think he played fairly well.  Everett is good on special teams.  Both Apke and Alexander were drafted as developmental players.  There are choices for sure.  Most important issue for me is that the drafted player actually performs as expected and is asked to do what he's capable of doing (i.e., good coaching combined with a front office that works together with the coaches).  I don't yet hope for a front office that is capable of long-term planning because without picking good players the rest doesn't matter.

On 3/22/2019 at 6:54 PM, goskins10 said:

I agree it would take a special kind of stupid to trade Scherff or worse just let him walk. 

While this probably belongs in the conspiracy theory, it also belongs here I think. I believe he is getting rid of all the Scot M picks as fast as he can. He has not extended anyone and they traded away Fuller. 

is bruce that petty? I think that answer is yes. If he somehow gets rid of Scherff, then I will be sure of it. 

Scherff wasn’t particularly good last year. 

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Scherff wasn’t particularly good last year. 

Edit

So what do KY Fl clips have to do with Scherff? He was injured some but overall he was still very good. It's easy to just throw out - he was not good. Of course you can find isolated plays where he got beat. You can do that for even the very best players in the NFL. 

But a random comment of he wasn't particularly good is not a good argument. 

30 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

BPA is very important but I expect that BPA will present the Skins with equal choices between S, G, TE and WR.  How many safeties will the Skins likely keep on the roster?  We have Landon Collins, Montae Nicholson, Troy Apke, Deshasor Everett, and Adonis Alexander (if he's counted as a safety instead of corner).  There's still the possibility that the Skins may pick up a second tier safety in free agency.  Nicholson's future is uncertain but I think he played fairly well.  Everett is good on special teams.  Both Apke and Alexander were drafted as developmental players.  There are choices for sure.  Most important issue for me is that the drafted player actually performs as expected and is asked to do what he's capable of doing (i.e., good coaching combined with a front office that works together with the coaches).  I don't yet hope for a front office that is capable of long-term planning because without picking good players the rest doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter how many crappy depth players we have. We don't have a second starter at safety. Montae didn't look good there last year, was replaced in the lineup, and then got into off field trouble. I grant you, that you can't have pro-bowlers at every position, and maybe we let Montae try it again, but ideally, we would have replaced him. Adonis is a CB. Everett isn't starting caliber. Apke was a reach and is a long term project. 

I think you are right about WR and G. There is likely to be a need and BPA alignment there in the 1st and 2nd. Honestly, in the 1st, there could be a value there at CB, DL, LB, edge, TE, WR and QB. Someone should fall to us in the 1st and we have enough needs to grab the best guy. There isn't a single position on offense other than maybe RD, that doesn't need a massive upgrade, and there are also multiple needs on defense. 

On defense, the only thing I think you can't draft as a BPA is a pure box safety like Abram or Rapp.  Kind of a bummer, because they could have been really nice value in the middle of the 2nd.  But Collins's contract means we have to make it work with him over the next two seasons.

On offense, BPA works at every position, and perhaps the only ones where we won't have access to a BPA type guy at 15 are QB and RB.  WR and OL and TE all have a chance to be that pick.

I don't think we're going to have a real shot at Haskins, so I think we're going to roll with Keenum and go into next year with a new FO, new coach, and new desperation to get a QB.

Given that, I like a draft where we get the BPA at CB, DL, or OL in the first round the most.

Then in the second round, I'm hoping we get the BPA at OL, WR, S, DL, or TE

30 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

On defense, the only thing I think you can't draft as a BPA is a pure box safety like Abram or Rapp.  Kind of a bummer, because they could have been really nice value in the middle of the 2nd.  But Collins's contract means we have to make it work with him over the next two seasons.

On offense, BPA works at every position, and perhaps the only ones where we won't have access to a BPA type guy at 15 are QB and RB.  WR and OL and TE all have a chance to be that pick.

I don't think we're going to have a real shot at Haskins, so I think we're going to roll with Keenum and go into next year with a new FO, new coach, and new desperation to get a QB.

Given that, I like a draft where we get the BPA at CB, DL, or OL in the first round the most.

Then in the second round, I'm hoping we get the BPA at OL, WR, S, DL, or TE

Right there with you re. the 1st round. I’ve stated my preference to trade back, but otherwise, guys like Ford, Murphy, Burns, Sweat, Williams mesh need/talent/value IMO.  

2nd round, I’d avoid TE simply because I really like the guys that should go closer to the 3rd - Sternberger, Warring, Knox, and Raymond (and Kaden/Irv Smith if they drop).  I’d take Thornhill in the 2nd in a heartbeat, and I’d consider Savage/Hooker, though I think their value is closer to late 2nd.  Winovich and Walker would be solid picks there, IMO.  Probably a few olinemen I’d consider.  I think the 2nd is the most likely spot we grab a receiver though.  Not necessarily my preference, because I think there’s likely to be similar talent through the 3rd and later.  If Marquis or Butler drop, or guys like Samuel, Harry, AJ Brown are there... should/could be good (or even very good) value.  

ILB will be a wildcard I think, as there aren’t that many worth taking in the first 3 rounds, and the ones that are don’t seem likely to line up as BPA/good value.  JMO of course.  

Archived