Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

51 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I certainly don’t mind the idea of grabbing a back, but I think 2nd is too high.  For one, we (seem to) have three quality backs, though we do need a backup/replacement for Thompson.  For two, backs typically face much shorter development time and so we could wait to draft one (relatively early) next year.  Lastly, a late round or UDFA back (or 2) to develop/evaluate this year and stash on the PS could then take over for AP or serve as a 4th back next year (and as a 5th this year).  

I dont think we need to draft a RB at all.  All positions in greater need are: Interior O-line, TE, Saftey, ILB, OLB, WR.  Honestly we have to many RBs we need multiples at other positions.  We also need to Draft a QB. 

1 hour ago, NeverSurrender said:

I dont think we need to draft a RB at all.  All positions in greater need are: Interior O-line, TE, Saftey, ILB, OLB, WR.  Honestly we have to many RBs we need multiples at other positions.  We also need to Draft a QB. 

I agree.  The only way I really go after a back is if I clearly like who’s available versus other positions, but again, not til late in the draft (6th or 7th).  

Also agree with your list of needs, and I’d put corner, probably tackle, and maybe even a 2nd receiver and 2nd IOL before rb as well.  

Not that I want them to limit themselves, but I’d take a stronger look at olineman that can play both guard and tackle, and a receiver that can play both Z and in the slot, along with an X.  

Trading down isn’t an imperative, but I think it would be a big help, whether we gain a 2nd, or even just a 3rd.  A 3rd and a 4th or 5th is probably a good middle ground.  

I’d be pretty happy if we could add talent at OL, db, receiver, TE in the first 3 rounds.  Edge would be nice, but if we trade back, I don’t love most of the prospects likely to be available from the late 1st to 3rd.  Ditto ILB.  Winovich, Walker, and possibly Bush/Cashman/Coney - not a lot of options compared to receivers, dbs, TEs and OL.

I’d look to add an ILB in the mid rounds.    

2 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

RB in the 2nd is the most brain dead pick these idiots could possibly make.

I guess you never know, but the Redskins never draft running backs with high picks. And I'm talking about in the entire history of the franchise. At pick 59 (which still isn't *that* high of a pick), Guice became the 5th highest RB ever taken by the Redskins in the Super Bowl era. The four head of him were: (1) Ladell Betts (56th overall - 2002); (2) Richard Williams (56th overall - 1983); (3) Reggie Brooks (45th overall - 1993); and (4) Ray McDonald (13th overall -1967).  The team hasn't used a first round pick on a RB in over 50 years and only used a 2nd rounder three times in the last 50 years. And two of those were late second rounders. I'm not sure any team in the history of football has ignored the position more in the draft.

On 3/27/2019 at 11:05 PM, skinny21 said:

Absolutely.  I’ve been thinking 2nd round for a while now - he’s right in there with Thornhill IMO (who could even go in the 1st).  That speed really shows up on tape.  

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/darnell-savage?id=32195341-5642-6683-d1ee-77f79bcf3445

This is exactly the kind of fast, twitchy, ball hawking player that we are lacking and need in the secondary. I would love him in the second. Instant upgrade, at FS and really, a perfect pairing with Landon Collins. Also could likely play come nickel CB. 

Also, what makes Chris Thompson special isn't top end speed, but I would also think about Ty Johnson as a 3rd down back and special teamer. 

On 3/27/2019 at 2:05 PM, redskindan07 said:

I'm hoping that is the case with Metcalf as I do not expect for him to turn out to be much. I'm leaning towards bust potential

We already kind of have a DK Metcalf.  😂😂

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

We already kind of have a DK Metcalf.  😂😂

Robert Davis wasn't super productive in HS or college and hasn't had a breakout year in a pro. IMHO, what makes Metcalf special is his insane 10 yard split and his hand use, in combination with his size. He does have a chance to be a Davis Boston. I think Metcalf is clearly better than Robert Davis. Ask Alabama. That being said, DK could also be a bust. 

I am not in favor of drafting DK at 15. I'd rather have Hockenson, Oliver, Burns, Greedy Williams or Byron Murphy, Devin White, Marquise Brown, or Hakeem Butler. Butler is under rated. He is 6'5" with 35.25 inch arms. He's tall and long, for an offensive tackle, and ran a 4.48. In the right situation, he could be a monster. 

it'll be interesting how it works out if...

1. Skins decide that they want Rosen, but not for the #15 pick

2. They find a partner to trade down to lets say Mid 20s range. But will have to have a deal in place with AZ prior to the trade, making sure that az accepts the lower 1st pick.

3. what happens if another team comes up with a higher first round pick for rosen after the skins trade down with a handshake deal in place? 

just some predraft drama circus :)

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Robert Davis wasn't super productive in HS or college and hasn't had a breakout year in a pro. IMHO, what makes Metcalf special is his insane 10 yard split and his hand use, in combination with his size. He does have a chance to be a Davis Boston. I think Metcalf is clearly better than Robert Davis. Ask Alabama. That being said, DK could also be a bust. 

I am not in favor of drafting DK at 15. I'd rather have Hockenson, Oliver, Burns, Greedy Williams or Byron Murphy, Devin White, Marquise Brown, or Hakeem Butler. Butler is under rated. He is 6'5" with 35.25 inch arms. He's tall and long, for an offensive tackle, and ran a 4.48. In the right situation, he could be a monster. 

Yep.  Butler has more length than all of the tight ends this year.  Underrated similarity he shares with DK is the release.  They can't be pressed effectively by anyone.  They can get whatever leverage they want.  But there is also the issue of how fast they are when you play off coverages.  They're freight trains in the open field and it's a lot to ask a much smaller DB to run with them when they're going to eat cushion so fast and go up over top of you on sideline throws, even if you bail right away and crowd them against the boundary.  I think it's clear that the only real way to defend them effectively is by bracketing them.

There is a lot of value in having a split end that can't be pressed.  I think people are sleeping on both DK and Hakeem a bit.  To me, it's a lot easier to find slot bullies like Deebo and AJ Brown, or tiny burner flankers like Hollywood and Isabella.  And the special ability to get that easy release is what separates them from lesser talents like N'Keal Harry.

4 hours ago, oraphus said:

it'll be interesting how it works out if...

1. Skins decide that they want Rosen, but not for the #15 pick

2. They find a partner to trade down to lets say Mid 20s range. But will have to have a deal in place with AZ prior to the trade, making sure that az accepts the lower 1st pick.

3. what happens if another team comes up with a higher first round pick for rosen after the skins trade down with a handshake deal in place? 

just some predraft drama circus :)

We should be grateful that the gods of fate helped us out for once.

Just now, bh32 said:

I don't think DK will be a bust at all and i hope he is there when the Redskins pick..He will be a match up nightmare due to his speed and strength 

Agreed, although he's not my first choice at 15.  I like Ferrell and Byron Murphy more.  I would probably value Metcalf behind them, but ahead of Greedy Williams and DeAndre Baker and all of the offensive linemen.

DeAndre Baker reminds me of Mackensie Alexander, who I loved, but who went a lot lower in the draft than I projected.  And he took a while to get his feet under him in the NFL.  He ended up not being able to hold up on the outside, and didn't start playing well until he moved to the slot.

I love Baker's quick feet and ability to mirror receivers all of the way through the tree, but I think there is a very real chance he ends up having to play slot corner too in the NFL.  His strongest coverage is press man.  He's an undersized short strider with thin hips and legs like Alexander.  I think his best position is going to be in the slot, where he can just compete with other pesky try hards.  In this role, I think he could be outstanding.

I would take him out of consideration at 15 though.  I wouldn't target him before  the end of the first or the early second.  I think Julian Love might be a better prospect than him.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Yep.  Butler has more length than all of the tight ends this year.  Underrated similarity he shares with DK is the release.  They can't be pressed effectively by anyone.  They can get whatever leverage they want.  But there is also the issue of how fast they are when you play off coverages.  They're freight trains in the open field and it's a lot to ask a much smaller DB to run with them when they're going to eat cushion so fast and go up over top of you on sideline throws, even if you bail right away and crowd them against the boundary.  I think it's clear that the only real way to defend them effectively is by bracketing them.

There is a lot of value in having a split end that can't be pressed.  I think people are sleeping on both DK and Hakeem a bit.  To me, it's a lot easier to find slot bullies like Deebo and AJ Brown, or tiny burner flankers like Hollywood and Isabella.  And the special ability to get that easy release is what separates them from lesser talents like N'Keal Harry.

I think teams will be smart and Butler will go in the first. 

Also, do you guys really think Jachai Polite will go in the second? Between his athletic testing and his interviews, I think he belongs in the third. Would rather have Banogu in the 3rd than Polite in the second. 

7 hours ago, bh32 said:

I don't think DK will be a bust at all and i hope he is there when the Redskins pick..He will be a match up nightmare due to his speed and strength

I think DK will be mediocre. He'll be a good big vertical threat against press coverage but his route running is subpar and his 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle times were abysmal...those 2 IMO are the most important combine drills for WRs because it shows foot speed and change of direction ability which are the keys to great route running which in turn is one of the primary keys to being a great NFL WR. I don't necessarily see Metcalf as a complete bust but I definitely don't see him as being anything special in the pros.

Metcalf to me is like a D lineman or edge rusher who puts up 40 reps on the bench press but then has a 1.85 10 yard split and a 8.5 foot broad jump. Sure he's strong as an ox on steroids but he has no burst and short area speed which is the most important for that position.

I'd take N'Keal Harry over DK Metcalf for a split end. I think he's a more complete WR prospect. Better route runner, better body control, better hands. No he didn't run a 4.33 40 but there's much more to being a good WR than a 40 time.

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think DK will be mediocre. He'll be a good big vertical threat against press coverage but his route running is subpar and his 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle times were abysmal...those 2 IMO are the most important combine drills for WRs because it shows foot speed and change of direction ability which are the keys to great route running which in turn is one of the primary keys to being a great NFL WR. I don't necessarily see Metcalf as a complete bust but I definitely don't see him as being anything special i

I'd take N'Keal Harry over DK Metcalf for a split end. I think he's a more complete WR prospect. Better route runner, better body control, better hands. No he didn't run a 4.33 40 but there's much more to being a good WR than a 40 time.

N'keal harry gets no separation and that is a big concern..

5 minutes ago, bh32 said:

N'keal harry gets no separation and that is a big concern..

From what I've seen Harry doesn't get the same separation that Metcalf does on a pure vertical route but in the cutups I've watched of their games he gets much better separation than Metcalf on other types of routes...crossers, digs, out routes etc and is a far more crisp cutter and route runner in general. He also IMO has better hands and body control. I don't think either will necessarily be an elite WR in the pros but I think Harry is more likely to be at least be very good.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I think DK will be mediocre. He'll be a good big vertical threat against press coverage but his route running is subpar and his 3 cone and 20 yard shuttle times were abysmal...those 2 IMO are the most important combine drills for WRs because it shows foot speed and change of direction ability which are the keys to great route running which in turn is one of the primary keys to being a great NFL WR. 

Im pretty sure that someone earlier in this thread posted a statistical analysis of the most important combine drills for each position and that for WR it is broad jump and vertical jump. No?

I like Harry.  He is a strong bodied receiver who can turn on a dime and he is crafty.  But he's not in Metcalf's world IMO.  His YAC game is not going to translate to the NFL like it will for a burner like Hollywood or a moose like Butler.  He's a slightly taller Pierre Garcon.  He'll almost certainly be a workhorse possession receiver, but he'll never scare teams and require special scheming like Metcalf.  Metcalf is a scheme buster who puts corners and safeties on notice and you have to scheme in brackets for him the while game.  He makes your passing game better just by lining up because he lets the other guys eat and lets the QB key in on the deep safety and make easy reads.

5 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think teams will be smart and Butler will go in the first. 

Also, do you guys really think Jachai Polite will go in the second? Between his athletic testing and his interviews, I think he belongs in the third. Would rather have Banogu in the 3rd than Polite in the second. 

Butler's hands are going to hurt him IMO.  He had great yardage production this season, but he had an abnormally large number of drops.  He can circus catch but he's still a raw body catcher who drops enough to cast his hands into doubt.  I think there is a real chance he's there at our second round pick.

don't know what to make of Polite any more.  He's a first round talent who seems to have significantly dropped due to off field concerns.  Without knowing what those concerns are specifically, as well as knowing their validity, I can't project his range.  Depending on the nature of his character concerns, I suppose he could be anything from a second round heist to undraftable.  The latter would be a shame given how good he was this season.

Archived