4. Brian Burns

5. Rashan Gary

More likely and would be ok with:

1. Dwayne Haskins

2. Drew Lock

3. D.K. Metcalf

4. Devin Bush

5. Clelin Ferrel

Anyone else and I would prefer a trade down. However, that is 14 players, and it's not even including the DT's (Ed Oliver and Quinnen Williams). So one of those will be available

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We're seeing different things then.  To me he explodes out of his breaks and has threatening speed throughout the entire route.  If he were stiff and had bad feet, he simply wouldn't be able to dog press coverage like he does.  He is one of the most terrifying covers off the line in the class, and that is mostly because of explosive lateral steps and cuts.  He gets whatever leverage he wants.  I have no concerns about him being able to expand his tree and run short game and inside breaking stuff.  Dudes will be chasing him on those concepts too because the inside release will be even easier for him.

I think you're punishing him for his offensive system and assuming he can only run vertical routes because of some times in drills most wrs like him skip, and for what his role was for Ole Miss.  They ran a cookie cutter spread offense where he almost always ran air raid routes from the same spot in the formation with similar releases and break points.  This is an Ole Miss problem, not a DK problem.  The Ole Miss OC/playcaller was not very good, and I'm not sure anyone did less with more than him this season.  They limited all of their WRs and TEs.  But just as relevant--Metcalf was a lightly used sophomore and Brown was an All American coming off a Biletnikoff finalist season where he set program records.  They were always going to build their play designs around Brown, give him the short and intermediate stuff, and force feed him.  Metcalf's breakout production was a surprise.  Rounding off routes and lacking craftiness at the break are not unusual weaknesses for a lightly used RS sophomore.  He can make huge strides as a route runner at the next level.  He's one of the most dynamic athletes at the position in the last few drafts.

We're definitely seeing different things. I just went back and watched some of his cutups again (LSU, Bama, ULM, Texas Tech) and something I noticed is that, even though he is pretty explosive off the line, good DBs didn't have much trouble with him even on vertical routes. Greedy Williams, who I think is a decent but not great prospect (IIRC his stock has actually been falling) completely shut him down and was in his pocket the entire game. Vs Bama he had 1 big play but the rest of the game he was completely shut down and again the CB was in his pocket the entire time. Even against mediocre or poor DBs he still struggled at times and they were able to handle him better than the should have considering we're talking about a potential top 10 pick vs a guy who'll likely never step foot on an NFL field.

On his vertical routes he seemed to put on a good show of trying to get separation with his feet but for some reason it just rarely ever seemed to fool the DBs and they usually were able to stick with him step for step. It was like he watched film of other receivers getting separation vs press coverage and tried to imitate it but didn't fully understand what he was doing. I'm not a DB coach or anything so I can't fully explain why this happened...maybe he basically always did the same thing regardless of trying to fake them out (seemed to be the case usually), or he did the fakes/cuts too soon instead of getting into the DB enough for it to force him to commit or flip his hips (another thing I noticed)?

On the rare non-vertical routes I saw very little suddenness and super rounded out routes. Obviously that could just be inexperience so he can get a mulligan there...that's fine. But another thing I noticed is on vertical stop and go and out and up routes is that the slow feet/change of direction indicated by his combine drills were pretty apparent. He had to take way too many steps when running those routes and he was slow to decelerate. As a result, even poor DBs were generally able to keep him in check and stay on him.

If he learns to run better routes, and works a lot on his foot speed and cutting then he could certainly be really good...there's no doubt he has the pure explosion off the line and acceleration. But for now IMO he's super super raw and I know you and others probably think I'm harping on those 3 cone and shuttles at the combine but if you're looking for a freak athlete who's raw but has the crazy upside you want him to be a freak athlete everywhere. What if there was some ostensibly freakish DT who had little polish in his game but put up crazy numbers in most things at the combine except he had a horrid 10 yard split and broad jump. Wouldn't that give you pause about his potential as that short area burst and lower body explosion have been directly tied to success at that position? That's how I feel about Metcalf.

27 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

At 15 for me the wish list is as follows:

Only in my dreams:

1.Nick Bosa

2.Josh Allen

3.Devin White

4.Kyler Murray

Possible and would be excited:

1. Jawaan Taylor

2. T.J. Hockenson

3. Montez Sweat

4. Brian Burns

5. Rashan Gary

1. Dwayne Haskins

2. Drew Lock

3. D.K. Metcalf

4. Devin Bush

5. Clelin Ferrel

Anyone else and I would prefer a trade down. However, that is 14 players, and it's not even including the DT's (Ed Oliver and Quinnen Williams). So one of those will be available

Brian Burns seems to have dropped in recent drafts.  Clelin Ferrel is interesting but I thought he was projected to be a better fit as a 4-3 DE.  Your list includes only one Tackle and it may be that you only want Jawaan Taylor (very unlikely to fall to #15). Other top rated tackles Andre Dillard or Jonah Williams might be picked early and, if so, that will make another player on your short list available.

12 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

At 15 for me the wish list is as follows:

Only in my dreams:

1.Nick Bosa

2.Josh Allen

3.Devin White

4.Kyler Murray

Possible and would be excited:

1. Jawaan Taylor

2. T.J. Hockenson

3. Montez Sweat

4. Brian Burns

5. Rashan Gary

1. Dwayne Haskins

2. Drew Lock

3. D.K. Metcalf

4. Devin Bush

5. Clelin Ferrel

I'd add Jonah Williams to that list and frankly (for me) he'd be in the 2d grouping and right behind Taylor (#2 in that group would be a Toss-up between him and Sweat - and ahead of TJ).

A couple thoughts on DK Metcalf: His lack of production, limited route running, and injury history have me wondering why the Skins would risk it at 15. 

Yes I understand the straight line speed and power he possess but imo I'd take Marquis Brown or AJ Brown before him all day.

I'm hoping to get a 3rd down back to back up Thompson later in the draft. Hopefully a Love or Turpin someone who could also help in the return game and special plays. Receiver early also later 1st-2nd and 4th-7th Harry, Campbell, Samuel,Isabella to name a few there are others with a TE and G stashed in between.

I'm no draft guru, but it really seems to me, if no one jumps up to take Haskins he could take an almost Aaron Rodgers-esque fall.  A lot of teams seem to have either filled their need or are planning to tank

and after doing a mock draft search after posting this I see the USAToday is also thinking that

1 hour ago, carex said:

I'm no draft guru, but it really seems to me, if no one jumps up to take Haskins he could take an almost Aaron Rodgers-esque fall.  A lot of teams seem to have either filled their need or are planning to tank

and after doing a mock draft search after posting this I see the USAToday is also thinking that

I'd have a hard time seeing him fall that far but I suppose it's possible. If he gets past the Giants he could certainly fall to us. The only team before us I'd see needing a QB would be Miami but it looks like they'll roll with Fitz and get a guy in a stacked QB draft with their likely high 2020 pick. Undoubtedly Cincy probably wants to move on from Dalton but nobody wants his contract and he's a pedestrian QB anyway (please god, don't be tempted, Jay. PLEASE). 

10 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

A couple thoughts on DK Metcalf: His lack of production, limited route running, and injury history have me wondering why the Skins would risk it at 15. 

Yes I understand the straight line speed and power he possess but imo I'd take Marquis Brown or AJ Brown before him all day.

It really depends on what we do in this draft with the other picks regarding DK Metcalf. I can see two scenarios:

Option A: ( my preference)

Find a trading partner that has a mid-high day 2/3 picks. I would target Indianapolis in particular as I feel the trade would work out best for both parties. DK would be amazing with Luck and TY. We could move back in the 1st and grab the BPA WR ( which I think will be AJ Brown), and have a high 2nd to use on the best edge rusher available. I think Chase Winovich here would be a great choice, as he has a non-stop motor, moxie, and really could be a two-way guy. He isnt the strongest, or most gifted athlete, but he is quick where it counts, has good hands, and doesnt stop. The second day two pick could go BPA linebacker/free safety. ( I really like Pratt. hes a sideline to sideline guy. ) Then in the 3rd, Will Grier with the early pick, and a lineman with the conditional.

Option B: (keep #15)

Draft DK Metcalf. Get the BPA between edge/ILB/FS. Grier in ther 3rd, guard with the conditional 3rd. Draft Tyree Jackson in the 5th to be our Taysom Hill X-Factor. If Jackson is groomed as this utility guy that can play TE/QB/WR, we could have some really interesting offensive sets that would give us multiple options in getting DK free on deep routes. If you are going to draft DK, then you gotta build the team around his strengths. So, alot of bubble screens, playaction, and short slants where his physicality can be put on display. A QB like Grier excelled in these types of intermediate throws.

Both of these options rely on getting Grier in the 3rd. Though, I wouldnt be opposed to getting him in the 2nd, and then BPA Edge/FS in the 3rd. Guys like Ximines, Chauncey Gardener, Cashman, etc. could be available there. It really depends on how the draft unfolds and where we think others' opinions of Will lie, which as of now could go anywhere from 1st-3rd, or from contender stache to the future. He's a wild card pick here.

(im not a fan of drafting Marquis Brown. he just had linsfranc surgery, and this is DC. Not taking that chance)

Finally got around to watching Brian Burns.  Good looking prospect.  The strengths and weaknesses are really apparent with him.  Very tall.  Very long.  Elite snap quickness.  Elite flexibility with the capability to flatten all of the way on his arc.  Good hips and feet to change direction and stay on balance and counter back inside and/or square up on blockers for containment in the C gap.  Closing speed is first rate.  Motor looks good.  Vision and play recognition looks good.  Comes to the line of scrimmage with a sound rush plan, and generates consistent edge pressure with his phenomenal speed against one on one match ups with tackles.

Weaknesses are what you'd expect.  Play strength is marginal.  Virtually no speed to power capacity.  Very narrow in the waist and hips and thin legs.  Not much physicality to his game.  Can be docile if the tackle manages to get squared up in front of him.  As Voch Lombardi would say, he has no ass-whup in his game.  Easily rerouted by chips if the secondary block manages to bump him.  Not particularly challenging to blow out of his gap if he's the point of attack and the tackle or tight end gets hands on him.  I don't think he brings his length to bear often enough as a run defender.  He's not going to stack up anybody and work gap to gap.  No sand in his pants.

He's a rich man's Leonard Floyd.  I think he's got first round traits as a situational rusher and potential conversion to linebacker depending on the base scheme of his NFL team.  He's got good feet, but I don't think he's going to look anything like Josh Allen out there.  Not sure the stack and shed ability will ever get there, nor that he's got the aggressive demeanor of a linebacker.  And not sure his edge defense will translate to the power of the NFL.  I think what you see is what you get in terms of frame and play strength, and I wouldn't expect him to get significantly more massive or powerful or physical.  Now that Jachai Polite seems determined to go undrafted, Burns is clearly the second best pure speed rusher in the class after Bosa.  I think Montez Sweat is definitely a better overall player than him, but Burns is a far better bender and his speed rushes look better.  I think he's a threatening C gap rusher who adds a ton of speed to your front seven, and also a natural candidate to wide technique rush.

I would value him behind Clelin Ferrell because Ferrell's instincts, play strength, and ferocity are worlds better.  But Burns is a more polished and skilled edge rusher than him, and he's faster and more flexible.  I would probably put him ahead of Jaylon Ferguson because his athletic traits are so superior to Ferguson's, but Ferguson will obviously be a much better run defender.

If you're willing to spend a first round pick to get a situational rusher, then I think Burns is worth it to you.  Especially if you've got a good plan for developing him into a linebacker and playing him there.  If you're expecting an everydown player who can set your edge, then he's going to be a point of failure in your run defense who will be targeted easily and often.

11 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Marquis and AJ don't have anywhere near DK's ability to line up outside on the line.  AJ is a big slot receiver whose ceiling is something like a poor man's Boldin or poor man's JuJu because he doesn't have their hands or run after catch ability.  His film is pretty uninspiring, just a million screens and crossers.  He'll be good and productive and he certainly has a prominent role in a modern passing game, but he's a possession receiver with much lesser upside than DK.  Marquise is a flanker who simply does not have the size and play strength to line up on the line of scrimmage and beat an NFL press.  He's also currently dealing with a serious injury and DK is not, and there is really no reason to expect him to not have injury problems throughout his career at his size.  It doesn't make sense to dink DK for injury and not Marquise.

DK is a RS sophomore who was on his way to a big season before he got hurt.  His production through the first six games was excellent before he went down with the injury.  He's a scheme busting split end who commands bracket coverage.  That is way more special and valuable than what AJ and Marquise can do.  He's the most gifted split end prospect to come along since 2014.  The injury shortened season is probably the only reason he might be available at 15 rather than being a top ten lock.

@stevemcqueen1 right I hear you, just seems like a huge leap to take with someone who has not produced much in college. Less than 70 receptions for his college career? Two seasons cut short by injury? And he has a very limited route repertoire.

I get that you have to project w/ DK, that he has a lot of tools and hasn’t come close to realizing his potential and that he most likely will be the first WR off the board. I understand all of that.

I would just have a hard time investing a 1st round pick in someone who has shown injury issues throughout his career and has not produced at an elite level over time. He is the definition of boom or bust. 

Thats just me. Marquise at least performed at an elite level for the better part of two full seasons and played all over the field for OK. Has elite speed and route running ability. His injury is a concern for sure and to be taken into consideration. AJ seems way less dynamic than both but the dude has produced at a high level for multiple seasons. He may not have the upside the other two present but imo he may have a higher floor than either. That would be in a trade down scenario.

You are swinging for the fences with DK, and he may be just that, a homerun. But with the 1st round I’d personally prefer more there there. That’s why I’d prob stay away from WR in round one if we stayed put. If we traded back for extra picks I’d be ok with any of them. 

Edit below:

it got me interested to to see how he compared with Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson two of which DK’s spectacular combine reminded people of. 

Both produced in college

Calvin:  178 rec 2928 yds 28 TDs

Julio:  178rec 2653 yds 15 TDs

DK:  67 rec  1228yds 14 TDs

if he had produced more in college I’d have less of an issue with him. I’d like guys who have done it before, where the leap isn’t so great.

17 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I would just have a hard time investing a 1st round pick in someone who has shown injury issues throughout his career and has not produced at an elite level over time. He is the definition of boom or bust. 

Seconded...

I'd have to have completely unobstructed access to Metcalf's medicals and glowing character reports to pick him. There are plenty of day 1 starters that will be there at 15. For a team that needs reliable, healthy talent, Metcalf just doesn't fit our profile. I wish he did, but he might be the wrong guy and we're definitely the wrong organization. 

13 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

You are swinging for the fences with DK, and he may be just that, a homerun. But with the 1st round I’d personally prefer more there there. That’s why I’d prob stay away from WR in round one if we stayed put. If we traded back for extra picks I’d be ok with any of them.  

Your argument is fair and I think you are right about their floors and ceilings.  The highs with DK are so spectacular that I would take the shot on him in the first round if he were BPA.  He has true superstar WR potential.  The way I would assess their value is that DK is fair value at 15.  AJ Brown is a borderline first or early second rounder.  And for Marquise, I don't think you can take him before the second because of his size and injury.  I could even see him falling to the third  round because of them, and because of this being such a deep WR class.  Teams that would have considered him early in the second might have a hard time picking an injured Hollywood Brown over a healthy Parris Campbell or Deebo Samuel, for example.

If we pass on DK Metcalf and trade back into the 20s, I think Hakeem Butler and N'Keal Harry could be very interesting targets in that range.  I've been watching more of Harry recently, and the more I see of him, the more I like him.  At first I was thinking he was a rich man's Pierre Garcon.  A DJ Moore type of try-hard guy who produces on volume, and who was probably going to have to spend a lot of time in motion and/or in the slot.  But seeing his competitiveness and physicality in the catch window and the extremely strong hands, I'm thinking that this kid could end up being a lot more than the sum of his parts.  His film is DeAndre Hopkins-esque.  I think he and Deebo are the two toughest competitors at the position in the class, and he's proven more durable than Deebo.  I too like a class where we trade down later into the first to target a WR, particularly if we still come away with Harry.

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If we pass on DK Metcalf and trade back into the 20s, I think Hakeem Butler and N'Keal Harry could be very interesting targets in that range.  I've been watching more of Harry recently, and the more I see of him, the more I like him.  At first I was thinking he was a rich man's Pierre Garcon.  A DJ Moore type of try-hard guy who produces on volume, and who was probably going to have to spend a lot of time in motion and/or in the slot.  But seeing his competitiveness and physicality in the catch window and the extremely strong hands, I'm thinking that this kid could end up being a lot more than the sum of his parts.  His film is DeAndre Hopkins-esque.  I think he and Deebo are the two toughest competitors at the position in the class, and he's proven more durable than Deebo.  I too like a class where we trade down later into the first to target a WR, particularly if we still come away with Harry.

Not sure I buy the DeAndre Hopkins comparison.  I get where you're coming from, but Hopkins showed more of a hard plant and burst to his route breaks.  I think Harry has a lot of false steps in how he tries to set up routes.  Is that coachable/fixable?  I don't know.

I agree with most of what you say, although I think in general, shouldn't that make him not worth a 1st round pick?

This is shaping up to be an extremely good WR class.  It's the year to get a BPA candidate in the first half of the draft.

1 - DK Metcalf - Mid first

2 - N'Keal Harry - late first

3 - Hakeem Butler - late first

4 - AJ Brown - early second

5 - Marquise Brown - mid second

6 - Deebo Samuel - mid to late second

7 - JJ Arcega-Whiteside - mid to late second

8 - Parris Campbell - late second

9 - Andy Isabella - third

10 - Darius Slayton - third

11 - Riley Ridley - third

12 - Kelvin Harmon - third

13 - Jalen Hurd - fourth

14 - Myles Boykin - fourth

15 - Emanuel Hall - fourth

16 - Mecole Hardiman - fourth

17 - Terry McLaurin - fourth

18 - Dillon Mitchell - fourth

There are enough options for half the league to get a receiver in the first 120 picks or so.

9 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Not sure I buy the DeAndre Hopkins comparison.  I get where you're coming from, but Hopkins showed more of a hard plant and burst to his route breaks.  I think Harry has a lot of false steps in how he tries to set up routes.  Is that coachable/fixable?  I don't know.

I agree with most of what you say, although I think in general, shouldn't that make him not worth a 1st round pick?

Look at the way Harry competes for the ball in the air.  Classic 50-50 ball competitor.  That plus the unusually high degree of hand strength plus the super aggressive mindset to go hard and maximize yardage after the catch are very Hopksin-esque IMO.  His change of direction and physicality at the end of the stem are Hopkins-esque too.  I think it's really clear that he loves the physical battle of the game.  His play strength is really high, and guys like him often end up being more than the sum of their parts.  I think he's a value pick in the 20's.

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is shaping up to be an extremely good WR class.  It's the year to get a BPA candidate in the first half of the draft.

13 - Jalen Hurd - fourth

There are enough options for half the league to get a receiver in the first 120 picks or so.

Just listened to Kiper (either his podcast with McKshay or the one he did as a guest with Russillo).  He's heard McLeaurin could go late first.

4 hours ago, carex said:

I would rather take lock at 15 than trade up for Haskins.  I don't think Haskins makes it out of top 10, but Lock has a chance to reach 15.  But I dont want to trade up to get either one.  We have a lot of holes to fill.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Look at the way Harry competes for the ball in the air.  Classic 50-50 ball competitor.  That plus the unusually high degree of hand strength plus the super aggressive mindset to go hard and maximize yardage after the catch are very Hopksin-esque IMO.  His change of direction and physicality at the end of the stem are Hopkins-esque too.

When the ball is in the air, I agree. He reminds me a lot of Hopkins.  His physicality while running routes is a huge plus.  Big difference between him and Doctson.  Josh Doctson has made me realize how much keeping their body clean is a skill in route running.  Different ways to go about it, you have some guys with raw speed threaten the corner to keep a step off regardless, or others with nasty footwork and quickness, then some with hand fighting, then others like Harry who turn it right back around on the corner.  He's gotten open at times from leaning on the corner themselves and then starting his break.  The corner's thrown off balance and can't recover.

I see some change of direction with his YAC.  But I'm not seeing that for most of his route running.  There's an odd route or two where I'll see it and be surprised, but usually it's not showing up.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think it's really clear that he loves the physical battle of the game.  His play strength is really high, and guys like him often end up being more than the sum of their parts.  I think he's a value pick in the 20's.

Absolutely.  That's his best trait.  His play strength shows up in all phases.  Run blocking, YAC, corners getting physical, etc.  He's not like one of those guys who runs a 4.4 at the combine and then the tape rarely shows that (Leonard Hankerson, Donte Moncrief, etc).

So where do you draft someone who checks a lot of boxes:  size, hands, play strength, competitiveness, but doesn't with others?  I think my argument against picking him in the 20's is that he doesn't quite have enough boxes checked as I'd like for that value.  But I could just be misreading what the value is for a WR picked in the 20's.  If he checked just one more box, say quick feet, would I suddenly like him enough to move his value well above #15?

44 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

13 - Jalen Hurd - fourth

Thanks for posting this.  This is the reason why I pray we do not go wr at 15.  The guys at the top of this list have a lot of questions marks.  And all those guys after the top 3 we have the potential to get one of them with one of our 3 second day picks.  With the depth at wr in this draft, I would love to address another position at 15.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

13 - Jalen Hurd - fourth

It's deep for sure, although I think the first 5 WR's taken likely won't be the best 5 WR's from this draft, 5 years from now.  If that makes any sense.  I think the bulk of the WR draft class is a lot closer in skill than normal, and from there it just depends on scheme/personnel fit at the NFL level.

I haven't watched half of this list, but from what I've watched, I do like 2, 5, 6, 9, 11, 15, 17, 18.  Maybe not quite at that value, but around there.  Some like Hall and McLaurin I think should be drafted considerably higher.  If we're determined to go WR, I'd like to trade down and take an extra swing at the depth of this class.  Say getting someone in both the 2nd and 4th rounds rather than someone in just the 1st round.

Archived