Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Season Injury News

ColonialWBSkinsFan

just so everyone knows, the Redskins have 6 players on IR so far this year. The 2nd closest team in terms of players on IR are the Titans with...6 players on IR. The next closest after the Titans are the Seahawks with 5 players on IR. After them it's the Steelers with 5 players on IR. No word on whether or not these other teams have owners who are cash-poor, have rehab equipment that is old and not up to date, or if their training staffs are being blamed.

The finger pointing at Dan Snyder and the trainers for these injuries is ridiculous. It's just bad luck folks. All we can do is hope that the rest of the players remain as healthy as possible for the remainder of the season.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

5 minutes ago, beachboy757 said:

The finger pointing at Dan Snyder and the trainers for these injuries is ridiculous. It's just bad luck folks. All we can do is hope that the rest of the players remain as healthy as possible for the remainder of the season.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

I don't consider it bad luck if a team makes it a practice to draft guys with injury histories because they have fallen in the draft because other teams are leery.

6 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I don't consider it bad luck if a team makes it a practice to draft guys with injury histories because they have fallen in the draft because other teams are leery.

Every team drafts guys with injury histories. It's just a matter of where they draft them and what type of injury they've had in the past...otherwise every single player with any kind of injury history would fall into udfa status, and guys getting drafted in the 6th or 7th round would normally be players every team would pass on altogether because they just don't have the talent or skill set to go along with their "healthy" playing history.

2 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

Did Guice have an injury history? All I can see was that he missed a game with a sprained knee last season, but that was it. He wasn't Jordan Reed in college. 

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

just so everyone knows, the Redskins have 6 players on IR so far this year. The 2nd closest team in terms of players on IR are the Titans with...6 players on IR. The next closest after the Titans are the Seahawks with 5 players on IR. After them it's the Steelers with 5 players on IR. No word on whether or not these other teams have owners who are cash-poor, have rehab equipment that is old and not up to date, or if their training staffs are being blamed.

Yeah, its pretty obvious ever year that some other teams have injury problems almost as bad as ours.  But how many of them have that every year?  You cant say "obviously nothing wrong, other teams almost have as many injuries" and ignore the long term trend.  Are we going to claim that training staffs make zero difference?  If so, why does it matter who they hire?

6 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Yeah, its pretty obvious ever year that some other teams have injury problems almost as bad as ours.  But how many of them have that every year?  You cant say "obviously nothing wrong, other teams almost have as many injuries" and ignore the long term trend.  Are we going to claim that training staffs make zero difference?  If so, why does it matter who they hire?

There's no issue with asking questions...but questions are like "Why does this happen?"..."Is this normal?'..."Do other teams go through streaks of multiple injured players for season after season?"

Questions are not: "The training staff is garbage! They all need to be fired."..."We are using outdated methods and equipent"..."Dan Snyder is an idiotic prick and doesn't care if he has a qualified training staff, he only cares about saving money."

What's missing from too mucn of the discussion is context...here's some very shallow context to illustrate the point.

Some headlines over the past few years:

"The Chargers Can’t Stop Getting Injured"

"49ers injury issues continued in 2017

The 49ers have had a bad run of injuries over the past five years."

"Giants were most injured team in NFL ... again!"

"Packers Injury Luck Among Worst in NFL In Recent Years"

"Bears hit with most adjusted games lost to injury last 3 years"

And an article: "Don't Play the Blame Game With Injuries"

"The Packers are dealing with a flood of early season injuries right now. This, obviously, is a bad thing and it contributed in a big way to their loss at Atlanta last week.

People respond to this fact in very different ways. For most, it’s considered an unfortunate reality of the game of professional football, rightly described by Vince Lombardi as a “collision sport.”

For others, it’s evidence that the Packers are much closer to the NFL’s elite teams than their performance on Sunday would indicate.

For still others, it’s evidence that Mike McCarthy’s practice schedule is ineffective, the training staff is incompetent, and everyone should be fired as a result.

Two of these are reasonable reactions. One of them is not.

Two of these can be supported with evidence. One of them cannot.

[...]The Packers have one of the best strength and conditioning staffs in the NFL.

“But surely,” I can hear people typing “these injuries wouldn’t be happening at all if the Packers had better trainers! Their strength and conditioning coaches have to be better!”

If there was a better strength and conditioning coach, trainer, or team doctor out there, the Packers already would have hired them. This team has worked aggressively to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to training, treatment, and prevention.

Strength and conditioning coach Mark Lovat, who’s been in his position since 2010, has repeatedly been recognized as one of the best in his field. He was named the NFL Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year in 2011.

Trainer Pepper Burruss (whose full title is Director of Sports Medicine Administration), is also one of the top performers in his area of expertise. He was given the NFL Physicians Society’s Outstanding NFL Athletic Trainer award after the 2012 season, following up a 2011 season where the entire training staff was recognized as the best in the NFL.

It gets better from there! Pat McKenzie, who serves as the team doctor, was recognized as the top practitioner in his field in 2011 and was voted president of the NFL Physicians Society. Clearly he’s thought of highly by his peers.

His level of prestige may not even touch that of his new colleague, Dr. Robert Anderson, who joined the Packers earlier this year. Dr. Anderson is considered the best working foot and ankle surgeon in professional sports today. His list of clients includes Cam Newton, Steph Curry, Kevin Durant, Derek Jeter, and many others, including quite a few Packers.

So who’s to blame?

The reality is, injuries are just a part of the game. Sometimes the Packers will have more. Sometimes they’ll have less. By and large, there’s very little else (if anything!) the team could be doing to prevent the injuries currently badgering the team."

And about that "sometimes more, sometimes less"...here are the Packers; ranking in games lost to injury from 2008-2013...6 year injury run:

2013 - 31

2012 - 32

2011 - 16

2010 - 30

2009 - 25

2008 - 17

You'll notice that two of the Packers' worst injured seasons were under the head of the guy wno was named the NFL Strength and Conditioning Coach of the Year.

My own belief right now is that, yes, teams do go through streaks of bad injury luck..they just do. I remember when Cowboys fans here on this board were crowing about how good their training staff was because, hey, look how few injuries we get. They said that because we Skins fans were saying their streak of relatively healthy seasons was little more than pure luck...they responded by saying no, their strength and conditioning coaches and training staff were superior to the Redskins and most around the league.

That is, until they started getting injuries at a rapid pace. After a few years they started talking about how "unlucky" they were and how if any other team lost the players they lost, they wouldn't make the playoffs, either lol...

Great post here by Cali. I'll focus on one specific part: 

8 hours ago, Califan007 said:

And about that "sometimes more, sometimes less"...here are the Packers; ranking in games lost to injury from 2008-2013...6 year injury run:

2013 - 31

2012 - 32

2011 - 16

2010 - 30

2009 - 25

2008 - 17

Here's GB's record during that time: 

2013 - 8-7-1 - Lost WC

2012 - 11-5 - Lost NFCCG

2011 - 15-1 - Lost NFCCG

2010 - 10-6 - Won Superbowl

2009 - 11-5 - Lost WC

2008 - 6-10

While they were going through their injury slump they made the playoffs 5 of 6 years and won a Superbowl.

I do agree that injuries are fairly random and there are bad streaks, but good teams still play well. 

IMHO being in an 'injury slump' is no reason to give up on the season or hold management/coaches any less accountable. From 2015 to 2017 things have pretty much been the same to a very slight regression (9-7, 8-7-1, 7-9). Again, in my opinion anything less than 9 wins is a reason for change. 

On 8/12/2018 at 1:19 PM, carex said:

Arie and Lauvao were going to compete for the job.  And considering Arie was essentially a fourth string guy, who didn't make it past camp, and only got picked up to another teams PS there's no guarantee he would have won

Kujo played 8 games for the Skins last season, starting in 6.

I looked at both Arie and Lauvao play from last year. Arie was much better. I mean, HS to college better.

15 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Are any of them cursed?

Do any of those teams have owners shorter that 5'6"?

:chair:

I think the biggest factor in injuries is simple random chance.  A player's injury history can also play a role, obviously.  One of the things that the team has the most control over, when it comes to reducing injuries, is when to return a player to practices and games.  The RG3 injury is an example of that.  

Have there been many complaints from players about such issues?  I vaguely remember hearing about frustration from the coaching staff wanting Doctson to return to practice last year when he was missing time.  Cravens' made some public complaints, but I don't know how much credibility he has.  I think Breeland's failed physical was from an offseason injury that was unrelated to his time with the Skins.  Have Orakpo, or other former Skins players, discussed any concerns about how they manage injured players?

44 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I think the biggest factor in injuries is simple random chance.  A player's injury history can also play a role, obviously.  One of the things that the team has the most control over, when it comes to reducing injuries, is when to return a player to practices and games.  The RG3 injury is an example of that.  

When talking about RG3, they also took a 'slight' framed QB and asked him to run a lot. I'm not talking about asking him to keep the play alive, but run as an offensive weapon that would take on tacklers for extra yards. For me, by design, they rushed him to IR, then rushed him back. I'm not an RG3 fanboy, but he was at his best when playing and unsustainable brand of football. 

11 minutes ago, Unbias said:

When talking about RG3, they also took a 'slight' framed QB and asked him to run a lot. I'm not talking about asking him to keep the play alive, but run as an offensive weapon that would take on tacklers for extra yards.

Every week they told him that he needed to slide or get out of bounds rather than take unnecessary hits. It got to the point that they would go into the press conference and count the hits he took that he didn't need to. Of course, Robert's attitude when asked about it was "this is football" and he stubbornly continued.

11 minutes ago, Unbias said:

For me, by design, they rushed him to IR, then rushed him back. I'm not an RG3 fanboy, but he was at his best when playing and unsustainable brand of football. 

Well when he was at his worst (trying to actually play QB) if you recall, he took more hits and worse hits because he had no idea how to pass like an NFL QB, no pocket presence, and zero ability to make even the slightest adjustment with his body to avoid the most bone crushing hits in human history. It actually looked like his body might explode. anyone remember those crash test dummies toys where if you hit a button, they would explode? Yeah... Robert was like that. He looked like one of those inflatable guys outside of the car dealerships, flailing around when he was in the pocket and then a crash test dummy toy when he got blasted.

18 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Every week they told him that he needed to slide or get out of bounds rather than take unnecessary hits. It got to the point that they would go into the press conference and count the hits he took that he didn't need to. Of course, Robert's attitude when asked about it was "this is football" and he stubbornly continued.

I agree that he didn't protect himself, but they were also calling a lot of zone read plays. The coaches sometimes have to protect players from themselves. 

20 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Well when he was at his worst (trying to actually play QB) if you recall, he took more hits and worse hits because he had no idea how to pass like an NFL QB, no pocket presence, and zero ability to make even the slightest adjustment with his body to avoid the most bone crushing hits in human history. It actually looked like his body might explode. anyone remember those crash test dummies toys where if you hit a button, they would explode? Yeah... Robert was like that. He looked like one of those inflatable guys outside of the car dealerships, flailing around when he was in the pocket and then a crash test dummy toy when he got blasted.

I agree he had no pocket presence, but I also think his OL had trouble creating a pocket. After all, their backs were too him and he was always moving. The OL wasn't operating like one group, but rather individual blockers who are watching the defenders eyes trying to guess where they QB was. As soon as Cousins came in it seemed like that horrible OL figured out how to make a pocket. It's because they knew where the QB was going to be. Any of your extremely mobile QBs have this issue.

Anyway, to my point, many things worked towards RG3's eventual failure. It sounds like a non-football move where he was given the starting job without having to earn it. He worked hard, but was also hard headed in certain areas. I'd also say the Shanahans worked hard, but were also hard headed. Shanahans looking to succeed at all costs mashed up their zone blocking/WC schemes with his college system to create a short lived Oklahoma drill offense. After he was hurt everyone marketed his return, so the pressure was on.

Looking back on how everything unfolded it's not that different than David Carr in Houston. So many people just say the Texans broke him, but he also held onto the ball way to long and had pretty poor pocket presence. I think both team and player have to learn from their failures. With the Skins I think they just have a soft spot for the high risk/reward type draft picks earlier in the draft. Maybe their scouts historically de-emphasize injury history or games missed or maybe it's easier to market guys that have exceptional highlight film? Either way it's time to re-evaluate that approach and know a player that can stay healthy is an asset. 

Also injuries are likely magnified in the salary cap era because it is much harder to build quality depth, because being able to afford a starting lineup to compete is hard enough, there is so much less money around to pay the "next man up" that you are often crossing your fingers the backups will surprise you.

1 hour ago, VaK9Trainer said:

Where were Phil Taylor and Adonis Alexander last night?  Are they injured?   

I read earlier in the week that Alexander had been out of practice with some kind of leg injury, hamstring I think. Not sure if he played last night but I do know he's missed practice time with a minor injury.

Archived