Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Season Injury News

ColonialWBSkinsFan

Good morning All,

I know I'm a relative newbie here, and although the thought of this thread kinda makes me sick to my stomach, I think a single thread to post information about injury status updates for the season would be a good addition to the board (especially after the rampant speculation about Guice and 

I always try to be respectful when posting or (especially) starting threads, and thoroughly enjoy reading posts on the board.  (I don't post that often but I'm a life-long fan and am raising my now 12-year old son to be one too.)

With that being said, mods please feel free to delete if this idea is not well-received...

6 minutes ago, dyst said:

Much needed thread. In fact, this could end up being a very busy thread.

Let's hope not!

But obviously, what's the news on Guice & Ionnaidis? 

Guice seems to be (and said he was) okay, but I'm holding my breath about Ionnaidis[sp].

*fingers crossed*

4 minutes ago, Diehard Otis said:

Let's hope not!

But obviously, what's the news on Guice & Ionnaidis? 

Guice seems to be (and said he was) okay, but I'm holding my breath about Ionnaidis[sp].

*fingers crossed*

On the radio this morning, supposedly late last night Jay said Matt is fine and Guice had an MRI today (just waiting for results). Don't really trust the know-how of our radio folks so still wait and see I suppose.

Just now, dyst said:

On the radio this morning, supposedly late last night Jay said Matt is fine and Guice had an MRI today (just waiting for results). Don't really trust the know-how of our radio folks so still wait and see I suppose.

Matt's injury scared me so bad I almost ruined my diaper!

That's the one I'm most worried about, because it looked potentially serious on The Field.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Derrius Guice has been diagnosed with a sprained MCL.

RapSheet reports Guice will have an MRI to confirm the diagnosis. On one hand it's good news that it's nothing serious, but MCL sprains are typically multi-week injuries. We may not see Guice the rest of training camp and preseason, but he should be okay by the time Week 1 rolls around. It can't be good news for his early workload, but Guice could quickly re-lap his competition.

Why is there not more of Matt's injury? We've gotten a lot of information (comparatively) about Guice, but nothing on Matt. His looked worse, and to be blunt it was a borderline cheap shot by the Patriots Guard, who purposely rolled up in his knee after the RB was down.

Re: Guice MCL sprain - It always scares me when rookies get banged up. They are already working through a learning curve. When he's back it won't show when he's running the ball, but when it comes to blocking assignments or routes he just won't get as much practice time. It's also a physical position and he's runs extremely physically. If this lingers it could impact his effectiveness. 

Good Lord, I hate to be that guy, but it just seemed so Redskins when Guice broke this awesome run that I'm sure got everyone excited and then goes down on it. (Also a holding call.) 

Was really hoping to see more of him this preseason, but hopefully he's not going to be injury prone. 

We've been the most injured team in the league over the last decade, last year being almost historically record breaking.  At some point you either accept that the team IS cursed.  OR the team has the worst training regimen, facilities and staff in the league.

How many other teams have their top THREE Tackles injured and not playing right now?  Anyone else have TWO?

7 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

We've been the most injured team in the league over the last decade, last year being almost historically record breaking.  At some point you either accept that the team IS cursed.  OR the team has the worst training regimen, facilities and staff in the league.

How many other teams have their top THREE Tackles injured and not playing right now?  Anyone else have TWO?

Im pretty sure all three would have suited up if it was a regular season game. 

There were several uninjured starters that didn't play last night 

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Im pretty sure all three would have suited up if it was a regular season game. 

There were several uninjured starters that didn't play last night 

Sure, but at this point, you do have to question what we are doing wrong? Are we focusing too much on strength and neglecting endurance or flexibility? Is there a fix in equipment, pads, shoes? I mean some injuries are bad luck, but sometimes injuries happen because of fatigue or strength or stiffness or something correctable. 

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Sure, but at this point, you do have to question what we are doing wrong? Are we focusing too much on strength and neglecting endurance or flexibility? Is there a fix in equipment, pads, shoes? I mean some injuries are bad luck, but sometimes injuries happen because of fatigue or strength or stiffness or something correctable. 

I agree it does appear to be more than just bad luck. 

I find it hard to believe that their not exploring all possible solutions to their injury problems including alternative solutions like yoga and diet etc etc. 

At least I certainly hope they are,  it'd be nice if someone asked Jay directly if they were,  at least then we could get a direct answer to this question. 

8 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

That question should be asked to Bruce and Danny.  Unless Jay is in charge of the training staff.

All questions regarding the health of the players should be directed to the coach. 

Honestly if Jay cannot give a thoroughly detailed explanation as to what is done to keep his players healthy then he should be fired immediately. 

Having said that there are several other people who should be able to answer that question (Bruce included)  but I pray the owner isn't the leading authority on keeping our players healthy. 

As memory serves me, early on, Kouandjio was injuried and is gone for the season.  Injury to Guice is no surprise as he is recklessly courageous, and aggressive, with his style of running.  The kid knows no other way to play this sport.

I was hoping Matt Io would be healthy, but "turf toe" takes rest and time to heal.  Now, we may be looking at a "sprained" knee (?).  All this takes time to heal, which means more time for "others" to play, and coaches to draw it up right.

The luck angle is not feasible in my opinion. I am of the strong belief the training/medical staff is at fault. They are not doing something correctly. Whether it's the training program causing stress on the wrong joints or maybe not using the correct cleats on the right surface, it's just way to many injuries for it to be luck.

3 minutes ago, dyst said:

The luck angle is not feasible in my opinion. I am of the strong belief the training/medical staff is at fault. They are not doing something correctly. Whether it's the training program causing stress on the wrong joints or maybe not using the correct cleats on the right surface, it's just way to many injuries for it to be luck.

So why hasnt it been dealt with ?

Surely the coach has figured out there's an injury problem with a root in the training, etc

Only reason I can think of, that the problem persists, is nepotism.

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

So why hasnt it been dealt with ?

Surely the coach has figured out there's an injury problem with a root in the training, etc

Only reason I can think of, that the problem persists, is nepotism.

It would cost Danny money.  

16 minutes ago, dyst said:

Or the playing surface in general.  Practice fields and FedEx do not have the best reputation.  Whatever the factors are, it would be foolish to chalk it up to bad luck every year, and the Redskins are foolish to not look into each potential factor and do everything you can to improve.  The owner has shown he will spend recklessly on free agents in the past but will scrimp when it comes to keeping players healthy??  Foolish.

Archived