Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

6 minutes ago, PF Chang said:

lol. Trump picks someone less extreme on abortion so he can cover his own ass instead. About what you'd expect. 

I've always believed the Republican Party power brokers would never want Roe v Wade overturned, it's their bread and butter issue. Well, that and dem libs are gonna take ur guns...

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 12:12 PM, The Evil Genius said:

Well this pick will be unpopular not only with the left but also with the populist right. Kavanaugh is seen by them as being linked to the establishment Republicans.

(Not sure why a basic reply linked to Evil Genius quote).

Edited by nonniey

Just now, Kilmer17 said:

If the GOP wanted to overturn Roe they’d have done so years ago. 

They want the issue, not the result. 

Used to be, the same thing was true about catering to racists, and the VRA.  

Just now, nonniey said:

Well this pick will be unpopular not only with the left but also the populist right. Kavanaugh is seen by them as being linked to the establishment Republicans.

I saw Alex Jones was unhappy on Twitter. I guess Kavanaugh was part of the Vince Foster "coverup." 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

What does that have to do with anything 

He's a good local kid and I can respect that but his accreditations are also solid too. The sad thing is he was denied for 3 years by partisan wrangling. What has he done that has pissed people off? That he was a nominee of Trump? That it? 

If you look at his credentials they are impeccable. I have no problem. 

• Like 1

He’s going to win confirmation.  If Dems were smart, they’d gather a small group of typically hard core leftists and vote to confirm.  It would provide cover for the red state Senators up for election and give them a talking point about bipartisanship.  

They wont though 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Kilmer17 said:

He’s going to win confirmation.  If Dems were smart, they’d gather a small group of typically hard core leftists and vote to confirm.  It would provide cover for the red state Senators up for election and give them a talking point about bipartisanship.  

They wont though 

I don’t see Manchin winning or losing his re-election based on voting for or against Kav

He will probably vote fo Kav & still lose his election because D’s in this country still have 0 balls

Same goes for Bill Nelson in Florida  

Edited by SkinsHokieFan

10 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I can see the merit of impeachment prior to criminal prosecution argument, but immunity from criminal investigation seems more problematic.  How is Congress supposed to decide on impeachment without an investigation? 

I feel like ultimately his position on the bench will be that a President can face, well, basically everything Bill Clinton faced, but nothing more.  He doesn't like it, and in hindsight, he thinks it'd be better if Clinton didn't have to face it, but it's clearly legal.  Trump won't be ruled immune to investigations or civil suits or subpoenas, but Brett will definitely vote to limit prosecution seriously.

It's a bad idea if employed as a blanket because it basically means a truly malevolent president with an accomplice Congress is insulated, but that's probably where Brett will fall because the idea of a malevolent president with an accomplice Congress is SO FEVERISHLY OUTLANDISH.

Really the only thing I'm interested in is if he will recuse himself from cases involving Trump and criminality.

He's a righty.  Righty gonna righty.  Is what it is.  The more important question is whether he'll have the self-awareness to realize he's basically being tapped as a potential accomplice to the President's crimes and that he should thus recuse himself from such a question before the court, at least so long as Trump is President.

Edited by DogofWar1

5 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

The more important question is whether he'll have the self-awareness to realize he's basically being tapped as a potential accomplice to the President's crimes and that he should thus recuse himself from such a question before the court, at least so long as Trump is President.

Ya know, it would be interesting if Mueller or someone flipped a judge being interviewed by Trump and used it as a way to get info.

Edited by visionary

If having an opinion that a sitting president can not be indicted precludes you from sitting on Scotus then half, of not more, of the best legal minds out there would be precluded. Including people on the left, and people that hate trump  

admire the everlasting ability to manufacture controversy though. 

Edited by tshile
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tshile said:

If having an opinion that a sitting president can not be indicted precludes you from sitting on Scotus then half, of not more, of the best legal minds out there would be precluded. Including people on the left, and people that hate trump  

admire the everlasting ability to manufacture controversy though. 

Come on.  This has been a serious concern since his name first came up. 

His own opinion on the matter though is perhaps secondary to the Trump team's factoring it into their picking him.  

I think I've seen a couple reports say that it was the deciding factor.

The most interesting/worrisome thing though is if Trump or his people have questioned him on it and either revealed something useful or implicated him as well.