Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

The ruling about Miranda rights doesn’t really hit Miranda rights. It just says you can’t sue a police officer for $$& because they don’t read you your rights. You can still use Miranda to have your statements tossed out of court, unless I’m missing something from a quick google search?

19 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The ruling about Miranda rights doesn’t really hit Miranda rights. It just says you can’t sue a police officer for $$& because they don’t read you your rights. You can still use Miranda to have your statements tossed out of court, unless I’m missing something from a quick google search?

That's my understanding.  And I believe you can still sue the government.  You just can't sue the police officer as an individual.  I'm not sure how common those types of suits were and how successful they were to know how big of a deal it is.

On the concealed license, anybody know are they saying that you can't require a concealed license at all or are they saying it can't be denied because the person doesn't have a clear need to defend themselves (which NY law currently requires)?  Can I say you need to have a permit to have a concealed weapon and have to go through a gun safety class every year?

I know PA at least had a thing like NY but once you filled out the paper work it never go checked again.  So if you worked at a restaurant and were making night deposits you could get a concealed permit.  And 10 years later even if you were doing something completely different you could still have the concealed permit.  I'd rather see people going through some yearly training.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Thumb up 1

In NY - CC permits were issued if you had the right friends (may issue). Totally corrupt and terrible. NY can still have requirements to get the CC but its not going to be at the whim of whoever's in charge and whether or not your reasoning is compelling to them. So would expect CCP to have stiff requirements to obtain, but still obtainable now. This is a good ruling imo.

People should have the right to defend themselves from criminals and not have to hope that a cop is there and that they will help (not guaranteed in NYC by any stretch).  

I hate the Supreme Court. This years' rulings will go down as the most restrictive in history after the Civil War. 

If Thomas wants to get rid of decisions, he should get rid of Loving v. Virginia and get divorced from his white wife. 

Six of them shouldn't be there.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

There’s a direct correlation between guaranteeing women's rights and a nations prosperity. 

In the most prosperous and freest nations in the world, women have achieved all kinds of great things all the way up to becoming heads of state. In the US we wear, “TRUMP that ****,” t-shirts as a form of political speech and roll back abortion rights granted 50+ years ago.

With this move we have sealed out status as a third world country- well done everyone.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, FuriousD said:

It's time for everyone to get MUCH more involved in politics and come together over human rights.

🙂

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

This is what happens when people don't care about politics and don't show up on election day.

This is a fair point. Turnout is ok for presidential election years. Midterms and off year elections not so much. Most folks either don't realize or don't care enough to vote every November. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember when Kansas freaked out over the ramifications of their conservative vision experiments backfiring (cutting taxes drastically to encourage business growth and cutting education to compensate) by raising taxes and ending up with a Democrat as governor. 

Its because businesses were eventually like "um, this is a hell hole, no one is qualified for our jobs, and no one we hire wants to move here".  If red states want to insist on similar paths and expecting different results, good luck with that.  

Red states are setting themselves up for a type of brain drain we see in other third world countries and I'm curious how long it will take for citizens without the means to move to make crazy requests similar to asylum in other states.  Think it won't happen.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2

This decision today is just awful, especially because my sister-in-law is going to be having a baby in a little over a month. This is what she posted on Facebook a few minutes ago:

“Currently hooked up to a baby monitor in the doctors office, I also ponder my own fate. Living in a red state with a trigger law…it is very unclear what would happen to me during birth if my life were in jeopardy.”

(a bit of background, she has epilepsy so she’s referring to that when she says “if my life were in jeopardy”) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

8 minutes ago, balki1867 said:

With this move we have sealed out status as a third world country- well done everyone.

Not third world but quite possibly second tier.

Possibly a lot like America's standing before the end of WW1. Kinda around and influential just not as much as some other countries. That seems to be where we're headed.

• Like 2

Clarence and his band of Federalist society goobers probably want to overturn Loving and Brown also. Ginni hasn't been a good thing for him lately. 

From a long game perspective, I can't see this helping the GOP. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I see a lot of motivated anger coming from these decisions.  

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Not third world but quite possibly second tier.

Possibly a lot like America's standing before the end of WW1. Kinda around and influential just not as much as some other countries. That seems to be where we're headed.

Good point- -this was the comical thing about Trump's immigration tantrums ("Why can't we get more immigrants from good (i.e. white) countries like Finland or Germany).  Uhh, bro... nobody from those countries wants to move here.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2