Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SCOTUS: No longer content with stacking, they're now dealing from the bottom of the deck

Burgold

On 5/21/2024 at 12:20 AM, China said:

Somebody needs to interview Alito's wife, ask her what really happened and whether she enjoys being thrown under the bus.

Took words right out of my mouth.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Took words right out of my mouth.

Would that even matter?  Who would it convince?  Not the Republicans, they don’t care, and they have the majority for the next 30+ years (maybe longer if Trump wins reelection).  Democrats already despise Alito, so they don’t need to be convinced that Alito is indeed throwing his wife under the bus.  All of this is an exercise in futility.  The SC has been compromised, and there’s nothing that anyone can do about it.  It’s going to get much worse.

https://abovethelaw.com/2024/05/phillies-fans-brutally-roast-samuel-alito/

Supreme Court justice Samuel Alito is a noted Phillies fan, which,honestly is pretty low on the list of his character flaws. He has Phillies paraphernalia on his walls, has deeps thoughts about sabermetrics, and makes bets with colleagues on the outcome of games. Despite his affinity for the hometown team, it seems the good people of Philadelphia have had quite enough.

45 House Democrats Call On Samuel Alito To Recuse Himself From Jan. 6 Cases

More than 40 House Democrats are calling on Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito to recuse himself from cases involving the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection over the display of an upside-down U.S. flag at the conservative justice’s home shortly after the attack on Congress occurred.

In a letter addressed to Alito and obtained by HuffPost, Reps. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.), Dan Goldman (D-N.Y.), and 43 other House Democrats argued that the presence of the upside-down flag ― a symbol of the “Stop the Steal” movement opposing Joe Biden’s 2020 election victory ― revealed political bias and requires the justice to recuse from pending cases relating to the Jan. 6 riot.

Click on the link for the full article

Only 43?  That's weaksauce.  They should have a full roster.  

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, China said:

45 House Democrats Call On Samuel Alito To Recuse Himself From Jan. 6 Cases

More than 40 House Democrats are calling on Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito to recuse himself from cases involving the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection over the display of an upside-down U.S. flag at the conservative justice’s home shortly after the attack on Congress occurred.

In a letter addressed to Alito and obtained by HuffPost, Reps. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.), Dan Goldman (D-N.Y.), and 43 other House Democrats argued that the presence of the upside-down flag ― a symbol of the “Stop the Steal” movement opposing Joe Biden’s 2020 election victory ― revealed political bias and requires the justice to recuse from pending cases relating to the Jan. 6 riot.

Only 43?  That's weaksauce.  They should have a full roster.  

Again, that sounds nice in theory, but it’s just an exercise in futility. Alito can just laugh at them and basically say:  “LOL, let me take that into consideration……Sike!!!!!”

You could have the entire Democratic house ask Alito to recuse himself, but it wouldn’t do a damn thing, because he can basically say kiss my ass, and go about his business.  2016 will be thought of as a year that contributed to the downfall of American Democracy in more ways than just Trump’s victory.  It basically reset the Supreme Court and it’s reputation for the next 30-40 years.

Edited by samy316
  • Thumb up 1

On 5/22/2024 at 6:49 PM, samy316 said:

Would that even matter?  Who would it convince?  Not the Republicans, they don’t care, and they have the majority for the next 30+ years (maybe longer if Trump wins reelection).  Democrats already despise Alito, so they don’t need to be convinced that Alito is indeed throwing his wife under the bus.  All of this is an exercise in futility.  The SC has been compromised, and there’s nothing that anyone can do about it.  It’s going to get much worse.

Democrats are slowly moving in the direction of no longer talking nice and potentially not playing nice anymore.

The right thing to do is to build the case for Impeaching both Alito and Thomas separately to get them out the court.

No need to expand it, you right they are compromised so stop talking about it, do something about it.

Posted (edited)

Just saying, I'm not at all sure that flags at Alito's house ought to be grounds for impeachment. 

I think judges ought to be allowed to express political opinions. Especially when they're at home. 

Although I could see an argument that he needs to recuse himself from the question of whether supporting an insurection disqualifies one from federal office. :)

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Just saying, I'm not at all sure that flags at Alito's house ought to be grounds for impeachment. 

I think judges ought to be allowed to express political opinions. Especially when they're not at home. 

Although I could see an argument that he needs to recuse himself from the question of whether supporting an insurection disqualifies one from federal office. :)

Well Alito has some of the same issues as Thomas with accepting gifts and improperly reporting them, just not on quite as massive a scale.

Alito kicks up ethics questions with new undisclosed gifts from billionaire donors

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Larry said:

I think judges ought to be allowed to express political opinions. Especially when they're not at home.

I would probably make an exception when their “opinion” is a dangerous lie that jeopardizes our democracy.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Thumb up 2

“We cannot be in perpetual campaign mode. We need to be in governance mode. We need to be in accountability mode with every lever that we have,” she continued, “because we cannot take a Senate majority for granted, a House majority for granted or a White House for granted.”

“And every single minute matters, and we have to use our power when we have it.”

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4681113-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-urges-senate-to-launch-active-investigations-into-samuel-alito-jan-6-flag-reports/

4axc2q.jpg

• Thumb up 1

Thomas should already be gone for the bribery. 

Alito should be out for lying about the flag and his wife.  I am talking about the timing of it and the fact that his nieghbors have text messages that dispute his story.  Ie. The flag was raised in support of J6 and he had the run in with neighbors afterwards.  If he lies about that, why should we trust him.  And if he mis-remembered, maybe we should call him senile Justice Alito.  

Seriously, I remember how everyone pushed him as a moderate.  He's so insufferable.  Notice how he is not making a comment after been caught LYING. 

The Roberts Court is the worst.  Roberts pretends to be a moderate, actually understands what a political animal the court is and if he actually cares about it, should have resigned after Dobbs.  Alito is pure MAGA.  Thomas has flashes where he sticks with his idiosynchratic jurisprudence, and then goes full MAGA.  Kavanaugh is just a politial animal. Never should have been confirmed.  Gorsuch also is a bit too much political, his mom was a Reagan appointee and politician.  He should never have been confirmed with that background either.  I got my eye on ACB... but she also has some political background.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Alito Refuses Calls for Recusal Over Display of Provocative Flags

Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. declined on Wednesday to recuse himself from two cases arising from the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol after reports that flags displayed outside his houses appeared to support the “Stop the Steal” movement.

Justice Alito said in letters to Democratic members of Congress who had demanded his recusal that the flags, at his home in Virginia and a beach house in New Jersey, were flown by his wife, Martha-Ann.

“My wife is fond of flying flags,” the justice wrote. “I am not. She was solely responsible for having flagpoles put up at our residence and our vacation home and has flown a wide variety of flags over the years.”

In sum, he said he would not disqualify himself from the two cases.

“A reasonable person who is not motivated by political or ideological considerations or a desire to affect the outcome of Supreme Court cases,” Justice Alito wrote, “would conclude this event does not meet the applicable standard for recusal.”

No surprise there.

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Three decisions came out today but they were minor things. The wait continues. 

Like their presidential immunity ruling, which I expect to be BS.