Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

6 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

I don’t wanna say he dove, but he definitely sold it. He had his head between his arms before he hit the ice. And he was back to start the 3rd. If it was a head shot, he’s out a month. 

Sevey turned, skated backwards right into where another player was coming from.  He knew someone was there and he looked like he was trying to set a pick.  Wilson was flying through.  It’s Sevey’s fault, he put himself in that position.

Alan Mays take on it is great. 

Another reason the hit isn’t Wilson’s fault is that he has to stay with his man who is to the left skating along the boards. How is Wilson supposed to know which way to skate around someone skating backwards? Wilson can’t just stop and let his guy have a free skate coming in and cut straight to the net. 

Lastly, there is always late contact in the NHL and it’s almost never called. 

I'm growing quite discontent with the NHL these days.  I stuck around long enough to see the boys raise the cup, I don't know how much more I still have in me to keep watching the circus the league is putting on.  Until Bettman goes and the DOPS gets overhauled, the league will continue spiralling downward.

10 hours ago, Hersh said:

I will say this, Wilson has to avoid the hit simply because his reputation. I think he gets suspended cause the NHL is filled with hypocrisy. 

If the NHL had an ounce of integrity they would rescind the match penalty. 

I heard Joe B mention something along those lines as well. "rescind the match penalty"  Can they actually do that? Im not that familiar with those areas of the rules. After watching it a million times I just get the feeling he was trying to avoid the hit, maybe not with 100% effort to avoid, but to avoid none the less. It is a contact sport after all and the kid admits it wasn't a shot to his head. I'd not be surprised if they throw the book at him, but I'd be very disappointed. Wilson isn't a 175# guy who can just pirouette around the guy. He "gets small" and clips him, as Seney skates backwards toward him. In real time that's hard to avoid completely, imo. 

12 hours ago, Hersh said:

Alan Mays take on it is great. 

I was really anticipating his take on it at the intermission and when it first came on it was Koken and some NHL network guy I was like WTF?  But then after the next commercial break Alan May was there and I loved his take lol.  The man speaks his mind and the truth.

No supplemental discipline, as should have been the case.

I had a fraternity brother penguin fan get salty about Wilson last night and I'm excited for him continuing to be salty this morning with news that Wilson isn't getting in trouble (and shouldn't have, that's a 2 minute interference for everyone in the league except Wilson).

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

For some reason, I can't get the article to post...but I saw that a synagogue made a hockey stick menorah to celebrate the season and the Caps' championship. 👍

Good news on Wilson...this is one of those Sunday afternoons we can enjoy! 

LET'S GO CAPS! 

The task fell to Daniel Gittleson this year of brainstorming concepts for his synagogue’s public menorah, the ceremonial, eight-branched candelabra that Jews use to celebrate Hanukkah.

The Chabad synagogue in Olney, Md., of which Gittleson is a member has a tradition of constructing a large themed menorah each year and lighting it beside a community Christmas tree in one of the Montgomery County town’s main shopping centers. And in 2018, there was an obvious choice for the motif: the Washington Capitals capturing the Stanley Cup.

“When the Caps were on their Stanley Cup run last season, I was sitting around thinking about what are we going to do for a menorah. And right away, I thought: ‘That’s it. That’s the one,’ ” Gittleson said.

“This doesn’t happen all the time,” Rabbi Bentzy Stolik added. “This is special for Washington.”

Nearly six months after the Capitals defeated the Vegas Golden Knights to end the franchise’s 44-year championship drought, the menorah is just the latest recognition of Washington’s title.

During the Cup run, Lovettsville, Va., changed its name to Capitalsville. The National Portrait Gallery installed red floodlights on its steps so fans could revel in Capitals victories. Fans adopted a host of in-home and in-arena superstitions.

And as the Capitals mount their title defense (entering Friday’s game against visiting New Jersey, they had won six straight), the team is finding ways to give back to the fans that celebrated the championship. The front office donated 35 player-used hockey sticks and 50 pucks to help Chabad build the menorah.

“They came on board to support exactly what we could have imagined,” Stolik said. “The only thing we’re not getting is the actual Stanley Cup.”

Gittleson made sure Lars Eller’s stick was the “shamash,” or center candle, used to light the other eight.

“He had the game-winning goal [in the decisive Game 5],” he said. “It only seemed right.”

Hanukkah begins Sunday evening and ends the evening of Dec. 10. Jews celebrate by lighting one candle of the menorah each night for eight nights until, on the final night, the entire menorah is lit.

Former Capitals player Peter Bondra and mascot Slapshot will join Chabad at the Fair Hill shopping center in Olney at 4:30 p.m. Sunday to light the first candle. Stolik said he expects more people to attend this menorah-lighting than in years past as a show of support after a shooting at a Pittsburgh synagogue in October killed 11 worshipers.

“Taking the menorah out and celebrating our pride and our tradition, it’s about more than tolerance,” he said. “It’s about saying: ‘We don’t buckle down. We’re happy with who we are and what we celebrate.’ The whole story of Hanukkah is about a minority fighting against a regime that wanted to restrict religious freedom. It’s a universal message.”

Archived