Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: IQ scores are falling and have been for decades, new study finds

China

Idiocracy here we come...

IQ scores are falling and have been for decades, new study finds

(CNN)IQ scores have been steadily falling for the past few decades, and environmental factors are to blame, a new study says.

The research suggests that genes aren't what's driving the decline in IQ scores, according to the study, published Monday.

Norwegian researchers analyzed the IQ scores of Norwegian men born between 1962 and 1991 and found that scores increased by almost 3 percentage points each decade for those born between 1962 to 1975 -- but then saw a steady decline among those born after 1975.

Similar studies in Denmark, Britain, France, the Netherlands, Finland and Estonia have demonstrated a similar downward trend in IQ scores, said Ole Rogeberg, a senior research fellow at the Ragnar Frisch Center for Economic Research in Norway and co-author of the new study.

"The causes in IQ increases over time and now the decline is due to environmental factors," said Rogeburg, who believes the change is not due to genetics.

"It's not that dumb people are having more kids than smart people, to put it crudely. It's something to do with the environment, because we're seeing the same differences within families," he said.

These environmental factors could include changes in the education system and media environment, nutrition, reading less and being online more, Rogeberg said.

Click on the link for the full article

57 minutes ago, China said:

More evidence:

Professors Show How Hard Their Job Is By Sharing 20 Dumbest Student Stories

Click on the link for the full article

Son of a teacher, this one hurt:

Not a professor, but I worked at my university’s tutoring center while in college. Had one student who was a sports science major and would come in for tutoring for every single class. He had to do this because he was barely literate, as in reading MAYBE on a first-grade level. One of his assignments was to write about an important African-American figure. He asked me what African-American meant. The student was African-American.

For the record, I don’t blame him for being dumb. I blame every single teacher he ever had whose responsibility it was to ensure that he was learning, and instead just passed him on so he would be someone else’s problem.

There's a difference between being dumb and uneducated.  Some people don't know what questions to ask, don't know where to start.

27 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

IQ is just one way to measure intelligence overall, article even mentions that.  Even conservative estimates, Trump is in the 120-130 range.

I cannot fathom any way that guy is in the 120-130 range. There was a study showing he speaks at a 4th grade level, he doesn't read, he can't even seem to hold a thought for longer than it takes to fart. The only thing he seems to have any natural talent at is finding out what people want and lying to them about it.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I cannot fathom any way that guy is in the 120-130 range. There was a study showing he speaks at a 4th grade level, he doesn't read, he can't even seem to hold a thought for longer than it takes to fart. The only thing he seems to have any natural talent at is finding out what people want and lying to them about it.

It's an intelligence test, not a knowledge test.  As much crap as we give this guy for the dumb **** he does, he is checking boxes on his quest towards authoritarianism.  He's only "dumb" on stuff that doesn't matter to him, power matters to him.  I've seen peices going more into how "outdated" the IQ test even is, so ya, score like that really doesn't mean what we think it means, which was the point of posting it.

In regards to Idiocracy, have no fear, that same article says the correlation to IQ of parents to kids isn't as obvious as it would seem, so dumb parents having more dumb kids then smart parents having smart kids isn't actually what's happening right now.

In a nutshell, all this whole thing tells me is we need to rethink how we go about our education system not just on a national scale but globally as well.  This is very much environmental based versus a genetics issue, which means its reversible.

1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

But liberal, progressive, and middle of the road estimates Trump in the 75-80 range.

When I said "conservative", I wasn't talking about Fox News.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/what-donald-trumps-iq-heres-7983558

We don't actually know what Donald Trump's IQ is, but it's probably not 156.

Some have speculated his IQ could be in the 120-130 range.

That's still higher than most people, but it's far from "genius" level.

He's not under 100, somewhere between the two.

Didn't read the paper, but this is odd because everything I've read in the past says IQ is going up and was contributed to getting lead out of gasoline.  This study was done in Norway.  Not sure of the time frame of leaded/unleaded gasoline in Norway.

Image result for united states IQ over time

If this is true, I wonder what percentage of it stems from the environmental impact? Here in the US, we eat a ton of crap and breathe in a ton of crap. None of that can be optimal for the brain. All those preservatives, fats, and excessive amounts of sugar must have some impact. It certainly does when we look at obesity, diabetes, and other health impacts, but what about brain function? How does the modern diet affect brain function and development? Likewise with pollution, how many particulates before the brain suffers? We know lead will do it, but what about everything else we pump into our air and water supply?

Understood that this seems to be an international study, but these are the questions that immediately pop into my mind.

10 minutes ago, Zguy28 said:

I would normally say diet/nutrition may be a big contributor, but since the EU members are big food snobs regarding processed and GMO foods, what is Norway's excuse?

heavy metals in the fish, it may be the Russians

Archived