Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: IQ scores are falling and have been for decades, new study finds

China

1 hour ago, Destino said:

Since 1975?  That lines the decline up roughly with the appearance and growth of home video game consoles.  OMG dad was right, they do rot your brain!  

There is probably truth to this regarding screen time and its relation to cognitive patterns and sleep (especially with the advent of blue light screens).

3 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

iq is overrated

more accurate intelligence assessments out

Absolutely. Emotional intelligence is so much more important than IQ. IQ tests as a whole have an uneven history. 

Trump appears to have some cognitive limitations. He doesn't process information well (I mean, his briefings are practically pictures now) and does not course correct when wrong about something. He typically doubles and triples down, then chances the subject.

He breaks very broad concepts down to the most basic talking point and repeats them over and over and over. He uses an exceptionally limited vocabulary usually with hyperbole to show strength and intensity. I think this was a strength in business back in the day (when he was a businessman, not a pretend one). He used might, leveraged his dollars and captured eyeballs, often to his advantage. But with age and the level of scrutiny he gets on a daily basis, it just makes him look stupid. 

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I guess you've never used a spreadsheet.

I have spread one on the grass, blanket works better though.

47 minutes ago, grego said:

6/2(1+2)

This is the devil's work.

Idiocracy here we come...

IQ scores are falling and have been for decades, new study finds

(CNN)IQ scores have been steadily falling for the past few decades, and environmental factors are to blame, a new study says.

The research suggests that genes aren't what's driving the decline in IQ scores, according to the study, published Monday.

Norwegian researchers analyzed the IQ scores of Norwegian men born between 1962 and 1991 and found that scores increased by almost 3 percentage points each decade for those born between 1962 to 1975 -- but then saw a steady decline among those born after 1975.

<bla bla bla... more stats...>

Click on the link for the full article

13 hours ago, zoony said:

Whew, i was born in 1975.  Yall some dumbass mother****ers

it is all clear now... the world steadily progressed, from the dark ages, progressing through the renaissance, and the age of reason, and continuing to climb until 1975 when human civilization peaked with the birth of zoony 

the only big question that remains is:   will future historians call the glorious period before the fall "the age of zoony"  or will the call the abysmal period after the fall "zoonyism"   ....?

7 minutes ago, mcsluggo said:

it is all clear now... the world steadily progressed, from the dark ages, progressing through the renaissance, and the age of reason, and continuing to climb until 1975 when human civilization peaked with the birth of zoony 

the only big question that remains is:   will future historians call the glorious period before the fall "the age of zoony"  or will the call the abysmal period after the fall "zoonyism"   ....?

The better way to look at it, maybe, is that i ushered in a new era of dumb

5 minutes ago, zoony said:

The better way to look at it, maybe, is that i ushered in a new era of dumb

it IS all clear now ......this is zoony, skipping in the birkenstocks and socks....... while the lady with the boombox represents the rest of us dutifully following him...   

giphy.webp

(unseen in the picture is the cliff, directly ahead) 

2 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I thought the Raceacrat position on these standardized test is they are worse than useless since they are racially biased, that phrase or culturally whatever some PC complaint about them, so why do you care Raceacrats care about this? 

You seriously need to cut this **** out, this adds nothing to this conversation.

12. No trolling. Beware of making baiting posts.
Do not post comments that are fundamentally inflammatory, or of little substantive content, or of some broadly insulting nature that serve primarily to incite your fellow members. ExtremeSkins has always prided itself on its zero tolerance policy for the common internet troublemaker. Trolls come in many forms and will be identified and censured at the discretion of the ES Staff. We are seeking a better level of conversation than just habitual drive-bys, being simplistically insulting, or gratuitously flaming various well-established points of view regardless of how strongly they may differ from yours.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

You seriously need to cut this **** out, this adds nothing to this conversation.

12. No trolling. Beware of making baiting posts.
Do not post comments that are fundamentally inflammatory, or of little substantive content, or of some broadly insulting nature that serve primarily to incite your fellow members. ExtremeSkins has always prided itself on its zero tolerance policy for the common internet troublemaker. Trolls come in many forms and will be identified and censured at the discretion of the ES Staff. We are seeking a better level of conversation than just habitual drive-bys, being simplistically insulting, or gratuitously flaming various well-established points of view regardless of how strongly they may differ from yours.

If the moderators have a problem with my calling out what I regard Raceacrats they can inform me and I will leave the Tailgate.  As I have previously stated the once proud Democrats is now merely a collection of identity groups with a racist agenda so unworthy of a once proud party name that stood for working families.  You and others can whine about the disparaging word I chose but no serious person disputes the underlying charge about the racially divisive nature of the party.

12 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I thought the Raceacrat position on these standardized test is they are worse than useless since they are racially biased, that phrase or culturally whatever some PC complaint about them, so why do you care Raceacrats care about this? 

reading your post is like walking into a wall in complete darkness.       

2 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

If the moderators have a problem with my calling out what I regard Raceacrats they can inform me and I will leave the Tailgate.  As I have previously stated the once proud Democrats is now merely a collection of identity groups with a racist agenda so unworthy of a once proud party name that stood for working families.  You and others can whine about the disparaging word I chose but no serious person disputes the underlying charge about the racially divisive nature of the party.

We'll see, they were pretty busy in regards to the last person who thought he didn't have to follow any rules because the mods themselves didn't tell them yet.

If your goal is to have a civil conversation about this topic, you need to stop baiting us.  This is about education on a global scale.  This is an issue in Red states, Blue states, and countries that don't have either.  Going straight to blaming the democrates on this is ridiculous when many of the worst run state school systems are Red and its because of constantly slashing the education budget for the state.

I wish that more conservatives were better at having honest conversations about race. I really, really do.

Somewhat pertinent to the subject of this thread is how most of my college students show legitimate concern, both the liberals and the conservatives, and I take that as a positive sign for something good coming out of this hellhole era.

But VOS, you'd have better success at making what you think are solid points if you used rhetoric that was even remotely persuasive.

The idea that talking about ongoing racial injustice constitutes a form of racism (or "racial diviseness") not only misdiagnoses the array of problems facing us (as if anything difficult could avoid being "divisive," as if meaningful difference weren't constitutive of pluralistic societies like ours), it is transparently issue-ducking.

Does pointing out that my car needs an oil change make me anti-car?

Does pointing out that a heroin addict needs treatment make me guilty of undermining the humanity of the addict?

I have a lot of problems with the Democrats and have done for many years. But my politics resists simple name-calling or bumper-sticker thinking. I'd rather focus on opening myself to the experience of other people and work towards common solutions to common problems. I'm a leftie, Christian college professor who has boatloads of conservative friends, students, and colleagues. Thankfully none of them are historically myopic or irrational, no matter how much we disagree about various subjects. When reasonable difference eludes us, democracy dies. Win in the court of ideas, not by trying to piss people off or gaming the system.

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We'll see, they were pretty busy in regards to the last person who thought he didn't have to follow any rules because the mods themselves didn't tell them yet.

If your goal is to have a civil conversation about this topic, you need to stop baiting us.  This is about education on a global scale.  This is an issue in Red states, Blue states, and countries that don't have either.  Going straight to blaming the democrates on this is ridiculous when many of the worst run state school systems are Red and its because of constantly slashing the education budget for the state.

If the use of the word Raceacrats is forbidden here I need only be told by a monitor and I will vacate the Tailgate.   I think this pejorative term is well deserved and you Raceacrats need to have the vile nature of your divisive racial tactics rubbed in your face and I am going to sit on my morally superior high horse and use it and if that makes me unwelcome here I will be happy to leave.  I think it irritates you because you know the charge is true. 

11 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

If the use of the word Raceacrats is forbidden here I need only be told by a monitor and I will vacate the Tailgate.   I think this pejorative term is well deserved and you Raceacrats need to have the vile nature of your divisive racial tactics rubbed in your face and I am going to sit on my morally superior high horse and use it and if that makes me unwelcome here I will be happy to leave.  I think it irritates you because you know the charge is true. 

There's only one person on the board these days going on and on and ON about race.  Have a mirror handy?

9 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I think this pejorative term is well deserved and you Raceacrats need to have the vile nature of your divisive racial tactics rubbed in your face and I am going to sit on my morally superior high horse and use it and if that makes me unwelcome here I will be happy to leave.  I think it irritates you because you know the charge is true. 

I am not sure how to respond to this, because I am uncertain as to whom you are defining as raceacrats. Is it Democrats, or is it all people who reject Trump?

My grandfather was a GOP senator for 24 years, and I am a hardcore fiscal conservative who admired the pre-Hastert GOP congress of the nineties, but between father and son the Bush family ****ed over us libertarian Republicans in favor of the dumbed down big government theocrats. And Trump is unquestionably far worse and is doing irreparable damage to our country's competitive advantage.

So, does this make me a raceacrat? Or is it the fact that I am (like Reagan) pro-immigration?

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

Absolutely. Emotional intelligence is so much more important than IQ. IQ tests as a whole have an uneven history. 

Trump appears to have some cognitive limitations. He doesn't process information well (I mean, his briefings are practically pictures now) and does not course correct when wrong about something. He typically doubles and triples down, then chances the subject.

He breaks very broad concepts down to the most basic talking point and repeats them over and over and over. He uses an exceptionally limited vocabulary usually with hyperbole to show strength and intensity. I think this was a strength in business back in the day (when he was a businessman, not a pretend one). He used might, leveraged his dollars and captured eyeballs, often to his advantage. But with age and the level of scrutiny he gets on a daily basis, it just makes him look stupid. 

I am old enough to remember my mom, a loyal New Deal Democrat, saying Eisenhower wasn't that bright but got elected because he was very likable.  Then, of course, Reagan was an amiable dunce.  Not Trump is a simpleton.  Three generations but essentially the same lame complaint leveled at a popular and successful Republican president.

4 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I am not sure how to respond to this, because I am uncertain as to whom you are defining as raceacrats. Is it Democrats, or is it all people who reject Trump?

My grandfather was a GOP senator for 24 years, and I am a hardcore fiscal conservative who admired the pre-Hastert GOP congress of the nineties, but between father and son the Bush family ****ed over us libertarian Republicans in favor of the dumbed down big government theocrats. And Trump is unquestionably far worse and is doing irreparable damage to our country's competitive advantage.

So, does this make me a raceacrat? Or is it the fact that I am (like Reagan) pro-immigration?

No, those partisans who call themselves Democrats.

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

You're trolling again, so allow me to help you understand one way to differentiate so we can avoid this in the future.  If you immediately focus on kicking the beehive, so to speak, as opposed to focusing on a specific issue you're at risk of being seen as a troll.  Another issue is that this thread really wasn't political until you called out the "raceacrats" on vague grounds that you didn't bother to firmly establish.  That really doesn't convey a sincere interest in discussing the validity of IQ tests does it?  If you're going to insist on using insulting monikers, which I would advise against, establish context so that it's clear you're directing it at a political party and not other board members.

Please extend me the courtesy of refraining from this sort of thing again.  They'll be no more unofficial warnings.  If you're uncertain, don't hit the post button. 

Archived