Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

10 minutes ago, Destino said:

I'm guessing that to a 17 year old being singled out by the national media as a person to be hated feels like a big deal.  He's not "the right" after all, he's a one person.  A 17 year old kid.  Whatever privilege he may have doesn't make the death threats go away and it doesn't restore his seriously damage reputation.  I imagine it's particularly infuriating to experience that because professional journalists never thought to check the story of a Nathan Phillips, who seems to have lied his ass off. 

Maybe this is a publicity stunt, and maybe it's justified anger at being hung out to dry by people that should know better.  I don't know the kid, and I don't know his family. 

A lot of people get death threats, including kids in school for being politically active, or just for being different, plus reporters constantly get death threats every day, and this backlash likely included and continues to include that.  This kid has so far not shown much humility over the situation and both he and everyone involved on the school side have just made it worse with their defensiveness over the situation instead of just admitting mistakes and moving on or at least showing the least amount of self reflection.  Of course the media shouldn't have rushed to report things that may not have been correct, and anyone freaking out or threatening the kids should be ****ing ashamed of themselves.  But if this is the standard for such lawsuits, right wing media and administration officials should all be in jail or bankrupt for intentionally lying every day and putting millions of people in danger because of it.  

Edited by visionary

5 minutes ago, visionary said:

A lot of people get death threats, including kids in school for being politically active, or just for being different, plus reporters constantly get death threats every day, and this backlash likely included and continues to include that. 

Yeah.... And anyone sending death threats if caught would and should be prosecuted. Other people getting death threats doesn't make it even.

This kid has so far not shown much humility over the situation and both he and everyone involved on the school side have just made it worse with their defensiveness over the situation instead of just admitting mistakes and moving on or at least showing the least amount of self reflection. 

What did he do wrong that he should admit to? Literally all he did was stand where he was and smile at the guy who walked up to him banging a drum. People saw a maga hat and standing in front of a native American and accepted the first story told and crucified this kid. I completely understand him wanting to sue.

Of course the media shouldn't have rushed to report things that may not have been correct, and anyone freaking out or threatening the kids should be ****ing ashamed of themselves.  But if this is the standard for such lawsuits, right wing media and administration officials should all be in jail or bankrupt for intentionally lying every day and putting millions of people in danger because of it.  

The media should stick to making sure they have all of the facts and not just trying to be first. That's shoddy journalism and not professional. If it makes media fact check more great. We seem to be in an age of outage, who can show how much they are outraged first.

28 minutes ago, visionary said:

A lot of people get death threats, including kids in school for being politically active, or just for being different, plus reporters constantly get death threats every day, and this backlash likely included and continues to include that.  This kid has so far not shown much humility over the situation and both he and everyone involved on the school side have just made it worse with their defensiveness over the situation instead of just admitting mistakes and moving on or at least showing the least amount of self reflection. 

He wore a hat you (and I) don't like and smiled smugly at a guy.  That's it.  The problem here is that the guy he smiled at, Nathan Phillips, made up a crazy story and the media bought it.  Where is his humility?

Yes lots of people get death threats, few teens get them because the national media essentially said "hey look at this racist kid, isn't he just the worst!" to the entire damned country. 

Of course the media shouldn't have rushed to report things that may not have been correct, and anyone freaking out or threatening the kids should be ****ing ashamed of themselves.  But if this is the standard for such lawsuits, right wing media and administration officials should all be in jail or bankrupt for intentionally lying every day and putting millions of people in danger because of it.  

The media shouldn't be publishing inaccurate reports about unknown, not at all celebrity, underage teens.  Especially when those reports bring raging mobs crashing down on them.  That's not exactly a high standard.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Destino said:

He wore a hat you don't like and smiled at a guy.  That's it.  The problem here is that the guy he smiled at, Nathan Phillips, made up a crazy story and the media bought it.  Where is his humility?

Yes lots of people get death threats, few teens get them because the national media essentially said "hey look at this racist kid, isn't he just the worst!" to the entire damned country. 

The media shouldn't be publishing inaccurate reports about unknown, not at all celebrity, underage teens.  Especially when those reports bring raging mobs crashing down on them.  That's not exactly a high standard.   

The guys who were harassing Phillips and the kids should be sued or arrested.  Not sure about Phillips, I haven't really been following anything he has done since the incident.  The kids seemed pretty arrogant and obnoxious from what I saw and the school has at least some blame in the situation, and others involved with them trying to defend them haven't exactly been helping in my opinion.

Quite a few teens have been targeted by right wing media/propaganda and outrage outlets and administration officials of late and many reporters have been singled out for attacks by Trump and his cult across the country and outside it.  

Of course the media has to do better, but adding to the anti-media mindset and possibly leading to more violence isn't helpful at all.  Plus the lawsuit seems like something Trump's people wrote.  That isn't to say a lawsuit wouldn't be right, but this one seems sketchy and intended to draw attention.  (Also I doubt this is something the kid wanted, and will likely make things much worse for him).  But as I said, if we're going to blame the Post for the outrage and any harm that may have come to the kids, I look forward to punishment coming to others who have trafficked in happily and purposefully dealing out false statements and harm as opposed to those who may do so in a rush to get the news out. 

Edited by visionary

• 2 weeks later...

Does he have a case, pb (the cnn one was filed yesterday)? I don't see what WaPo and CNN did as any different than a million other new stories where information gets corrected as the story evolves. Is that lawsuit worthy these days? 

Interesting that his lawyers are claiming doxxing happened by celebs on Twitter but then they use it incorrectly.

Edited by The Evil Genius

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

If the kid has any chance of winning, it is going to open up the floodgates of times the media got anything wrong about anyone.  If I were Fox News, I'd be secretly hoping the kids lose. 

I said a while back that while he is exaggerating some I believe,  maybe it's good that the media be reminded that being first isn't always more important than being right. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Legal Argument in Nicholas Sandmann’s Defamation Lawsuits Is Basically “MAGA”

Nicholas Sandmann, the high school student at the center of the viral Lincoln Memorial confrontation in January, wants to “punish” CNN and the Washington Post for attempting to “assassinate” his character. He wants to teach the Post “a lesson it will never forget” and halt CNN’s “biased agenda against President Trump” and his supporters. In the process, Sandmann wishes to collect more than a half-billion dollars from the two outlets. The media targeted him because he was a “white, Catholic student who was wearing a MAGA cap,” Sandmann believes. Only $525 million in damages will fully compensate him and deter these “bullies” from “again bullying other children.”

This argument, laid out in Sandmann’s two lawsuits against CNN (filed on Tuesday) and the Washington Post (filed in February), is one part legal theory, two parts political screed. Sandmann’s lawyer, famed libel attorney L. Lin Wood, knows that these suits are a long shot: The First Amendment protects the press’ right to report on a national controversy without a full grasp on the facts, and to provide commentary that ultimately proves inaccurate. Wood’s defamation lawsuits are designed to scare CNN and the Post, to chill their future criticisms of “individuals perceived to be supporters of the President.” His crusade is just another skirmish in President Donald Trump’s attack on “fake news.”

Like most mainstream media outlets, CNN and the Washington Post provided an incomplete and unduly harsh description of the January encounter between Sandmann and Nathan Phillips, a Native American activist. On the basis of a viral Twitter video, reporters at these companies alleged that Sandmann, a 16-year-old March for Life participant wearing a MAGA hat, attempted to “harass,” “accost,” or “mock” Phillips. Commentators on CNN condemned Sandmann as racist and aggressive toward Phillips. Articles in the Post alleged that he threatened and intimidated the activist.

Within days, other videos of the event provided a more complete and nuanced picture of the encounter. Before Phillips arrived, Sandmann and his classmates from Covington Catholic High School had been taunted by the Black Hebrew Israelites, a notorious cult that hurls bigoted slurs at passers-by in Washington. These students say that they performed school spirit chants to counter the (indisputably vile) verbal assault. Phillips and his associates say they interpreted these chants as racist toward their nearby Indigenous Peoples March, which had concluded earlier in the day. He approached the students, beating a drum and singing a tribal song. At least one student—though not Sandmann—then made the “tomahawk chop,” an offensive gesture, and several wore MAGA apparel as they stood in front of Phillips. After about two minutes, the Covington Catholic students retreated to their bus.

The suit against the Post berates Jeff Bezos by name and demands $250 million in damages seemingly because that’s how much he “paid in cash for the Post.” It denounces the paper for ignoring “basic journalist standards because it wanted to advance its well-known and easily documented, biased agenda against President Donald J. Trump.” (Trump tweeted this quote and wrote: “Go get them Nick. Fake News!”) CNN gets similar treatment: “From at least as early as the November 2016 election of Donald J. Trump as the 45th President of the United States,” the lawsuit states, “CNN has maintained a well-known and easily documented biased agenda against President Trump.” Apparently in support of this claim, the suit notes that “President Trump publicly and repeatedly branded CNN as the poster child of ‘fake news.’ ”

All of this may satisfy the president, but it likely won’t satisfy the courts. Wood insists that Sandmann is not a public figure, which would allow him to sue the media for mere negligence—a failure to take reasonable care to avoid unjustly injuring his reputation. It is debatable whether the Post and CNN even met that low bar: Drawing conclusions from a video rocketing around the internet is not clearly unreasonable when those conclusions later prove questionable in light of new evidence.

Click on the link for the full article

Trump supporter says he was kicked out of a NYC bar for his MAGA hat — but that may not be the whole story

A widely viewed video this weekend showed a man in a "Make America Great Again" hat being asked to leave a New York City bar. That much is certain. Why he was kicked out isn't as clear.

The Mr. Trump supporter says it was because of his polarizing red hat, but the bar's owner disputes the account: He says the man was drunk, loud and used an anti-Semitic slur. Since the video was posted, people outraged by the recording have flooded his bar's phone line with threats, some of which have been violent.

It's not the first time the man in question, Dion Cini, has found himself at the center of a political discrimination controversy. He regularly posts videos to his personal Facebook page of him flying "Trump 2020" flags in unlikely places, hawks pro-Trump merchandise as a side business and has a history of antagonizing those who don't support the president.

The encounter at the bar is the latest in an ongoing culture war. Mr. Trump supporters around the country have claimed harassment and mistreatment from liberal business owners, especially where red "MAGA" hats are involved. Some Mr. Trump supporters have pushed back, even creating an app, 63red Safe, that identifies apolitical restaurants, like a "Yelp for conservatives," according to its creator.

"The problems actually started long before he put his camera on," Banchik told CBS News in a telephone interview. Cini was being "loud and obnoxious," he said.

The bartender asked him to "calm down" and "keep his voice down" several times before Cini began recording. Each time, Cini would briefly comply, but would then begin to raise his voice again, disrupting the other patrons at the bar and "making people uncomfortable," Banchik said. After 30 minutes of the back and forth, Cini loudly said "McJew," according to Banchik, based on reports from his staff. The bartender, who is both Irish and Jewish, saw that as "the final straw," Banchik said.

"It was this real loud, racial comment and that kind of thing just doesn't mix well with alcohol," Banchik said. "That's when he was asked to leave."

Cini called Banchik's account of the evening an "absolute lie," in a call with CBS News on Monday. In a text message on Thursday, Cini didn't specifically deny that he used the slur, but said, "I made no anti-Semitic remarks." Cini noted he was sitting next to a Jewish man. "If I were to use a racial slur, I wouldn't have done it in front of him."

Click on the link for the full article

27 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Decline or end of western civilization?

There's a difference between being too stupid to realize the truth and flat out refusal.  

There are some people that can't be reached no matter what, it bothers me, but I believe the number of people like that is exaggerated.  Someone who is retarded couldn't connect all the BS together to counter what's going on the way that we see so often, that's why this is a disinformation issue more then half the population sniffing liquid mercury issue.

And I don't like the depiction of them all getting their Bible signed.  That's a little far for my taste.

Edited by Renegade7