Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Washington Redskins Derrius Guice RB LSU

PCS

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I take PFF with a grain of salt but it's interesting nonetheless.

Craig Hoffman has been contending on twitter that Guice did well considering how poor the run blocking was, Jay complementing Guice, too.

I didn't take it that seriously albeit I am a big Guice fan.  But looking at his PFF score, wow, a 72.  They try to make judgments in part based on context.   That was one of the highest graded players yesterday.

His pass blocking was excellent and he looked good catching the ball. There was very little running room and the better runs he had were called back with holding calls.

11 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Muscular injuries sure. But a ligament injury - nope. Only way you cause a ligament injury is hyperextension caused by an impact slip or awkward landing. 

The awkward twist is a result of the favoring is the point... His leg might be healthy but his mind stillnprotects it.. Even if that means landing differently absorbing hits differentlt with the other leg. I think it was just tweaked, but the argument that it was becuase he favored it is strong and likely regardless of what was stressed- mcl or other wise

23 minutes ago, Catatonic said:

This couldn't be any more Redskins.  

I will say this.  At least we didn’t lose our starting QB on opening day like Jacksonville with Nick Foles.  And at least we’re not the Miami Dolphins; talk about a **** show.  But still, I’m tired of being mediocre.

12 minutes ago, CowboyKillerz said:

The awkward twist is a result of the favoring is the point... His leg might be healthy but his mind stillnprotects it.. Even if that means landing differently absorbing hits differentlt with the other leg. I think it was just tweaked, but the argument that it was becuase he favored it is strong and likely regardless of what was stressed- mcl or other wise

I suppose it's possible - but it's far more likely this is just a totally unrelated incident. 

4 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I will say this.  At least we didn’t lose our starting QB on opening day like Jacksonville with Nick Foles.  And at least we’re not the Miami Dolphins; talk about a **** show.  But still, I’m tired of being mediocre.

Good points...I'm ok with .500 seasons..a litte tweek here n there on d coaching and the skins can win some games...when ya go 8-8..7-9..theres at least 3 games that ya lost that could have gone the other way..all of a sudden your winning the division..hopefully guice is out and ap is dressed and plays..we beat dallas and Chicago...yes in the spotlight 

2 hours ago, abdcskins said:

People don't like to hear the word "bust" when it is due to injury.  Or the fact that he is still so young.  But sometimes you need to face reality.  I remember calling Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly busts and people would get super upset.  Well guess what....it's happening again.  We've all seen this story before.

Adrian Peterson not playing yesterday was a huge mistake.  You don't throw a player coming off an ACL back into the fire immediately. 

that's what was done with Peterson!

Theres literally no reason to have Guice even suit up next week.  Knee sprain, coming back from major injury, even if its he can go at 90%, you have a HOF running back you can play instead and let him heal for the next week.  Absolutely no reason to suit up a guy who has a career 18 yards, except for coaches pride.

22 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

So guice is out?..ap back?..if we want a shot at winning in week 2...we need ap

Listened to Jays press conference today, he kept reiterating that the MRI will tell all about his knee, he also said he felt pretty good that Guice will play this week......I dunno 

1 minute ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Listened to Jays press conference today, he kept reiterating that the MRI will tell all about his knee, he also said he felt pretty good that Guice will play this week......I dunno 

Ahhhh bummer..we need ap In there..than again sip posted a tweet from someone saying as good as the eagles run d is ap wouldn't have made a difference..but ya never know...

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sprained knee, and he could come back this week, doesn't sound that serious.  If that's true its much ado about nothing. 

Agreed

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

Ahhhh bummer..we need ap In there..than again sip posted a tweet from someone saying as good as the eagles run d is ap wouldn't have made a difference..but ya never know...

The Oline needs to play better all three of our guys can make guys miss. With that being said 3 or 4 at a time is a little hard. 

39 minutes ago, MartinC said:

His pass blocking was excellent and he looked good catching the ball. There was very little running room and the better runs he had were called back with holding calls.

I agree a 100%

If healthy Guice is the better back. 

1 minute ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Agreed

The Oline needs to play better all three of our guys can make guys miss. With that being said 3 or 4 at a time is a little hard. 

Excellent point..so let me get this straight..we had good pass pro and bad run blocking yesterday?

31 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

So guice is out?..ap back?..if we want a shot at winning in week 2...we need ap

I disagree 

We need better offensive line play and defensive line play as well in order to win.

2 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Excellent point..so let me get this straight..we had good pass pro and bad run blocking yesterday?

I would say yes and also to many penalties on the Oline in my opinion. Run blocking isn't the same without Trent pulling. The right side looked horrible to me and they shouldn't.

30 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

With all the Miami talk of mutiny, we're actually not the most dysfunctional of week 1!!

Wow. You almost can't make this stuff up, yep even with the #Redskins. Jay pushed all on that Guice wouldn't get injured early on and of course, it ****ing happens.

So Guice gets injured in his first start. And its his GOOD knee???  FML.  And  after all the controversy discussion about sitting AP, including making Jay look bad to not just fans his own players may now be questioning him even more.

So who was a candidate to be our possible best player on offense gets injured (in the first half, is my guess)  in what I suspect was another innocent looking play.  Couple that arguably our best guy on D, Allen, getting injured in the first half. 

And continuing our #SoUs pitty party, despite injuries kicking in right away- we get a 17 point lead only to totally blow it.

12 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I disagree 

We need better offensive line play and defensive line play as well in order to win.

I would say yes and also to many penalties on the Oline in my opinion. Run blocking isn't the same without Trent pulling. The right side looked horrible to me and they shouldn't.

Ya..completely agree here about the oline and dline needing to play better

41 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Tired of being mediocre?  Today mediocre looks good to me I'm hoping we aren't hellbent towards putrid.

34 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Theres literally no reason to have Guice even suit up next week.  Knee sprain, coming back from major injury, even if its he can go at 90%, you have a HOF running back you can play instead and let him heal for the next week.  Absolutely no reason to suit up a guy who has a career 18 yards, except for coaches pride.

It will be real interesting to see Jay's approach if Guice ends the week probable.  He seemed to imply today that he didn't have to turn to CT because of injury but of course, probably lied.  We had the big lead I wanted and had envisioned - I said many times that I want AP to be the late game have a lead hammer nails in coffins back.  The scenario was set, and CT had to be the hammer.

Although it was odd, Guice did get a snap in the 4th quarter so how injured was he. Jay seemed to dismiss it all as being wrecked by penalties / drops etc. Basically that with CT in there, we self destructed.

JP Finlay is reporting its a meniscus injury for Guice. No word on severity.

Worst case is full tear requiring surgery I guess - in which case that would be up to 3 months. Let's assume it's not that (please!!) If its grade 1 or 2 it will not need full surgery and could be as little as week with some icing up to 3 or 4 weeks if they need to do some key hole clean out.

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

It will be real interesting to see Jay's approach if Guice ends the week probable.  He seemed to imply today that he had to turn to CT because of injury and of course, probably lied.  We had the big lead I wanted and had envisioned that I want AP to be the late game have a lead hammer nails in coffins back.  The scenario was set, and CT had to be the hammer.

Although it was odd, Guice did get a snap in the 4th quarter. Jay seemed to dismiss it all as being wrecked by penalties / drops etc. Basically that with CT in there, we self destructed.

Almost none of this is correct.

We came out of the locker room with a 13 point lead. It had been 17 points at one point in the first half.

First drive of the second half Eagles drove the ball down our throats on an 8 min plus drive and scored a TD. So lead is now 6.

Then we went 3 and out.

Guice ran for no gain. Then we had a false start. Then Guice was tackled at the hand off on a draw for a 5 yard loss. 3rd and 20 we dump off to CT and then punt.

Eagles have the ball and score on 3rd down and 10 when we inexplicably ask Norman to turn and run with Jackson with no deep help. So now we are down by 1.

So what big lead are we planning to run out here in the second half?

Next Redskins possession was the missed deep ball to McLaurin (just how big a miss was that!!) and then two dropped passes that would both have been first downs. Punt and the Eagles stuff the ball down our throats again with a 7 minutes drive and now we are down 20-29.

We are in the 4th quarter now and down two scores. 

I wasn't thinking about this while I disagreed with Gruden about inactivating Peterson, but Guice had only just been cleared for contact two weeks ago (Preseason Game #3). Who knows when Guice hurt himself or if it would have happened regardless of the number of caries, but wouldn't have been smarter to ease him in.

The only reason I can see to inactivate Peterson is to avoid controversy if AP proved definitively to be the better back. Gruden decided that Guice needed to become the starter by proclamation. They should have split carries. It would have lessened the load on Guice and it would have been reasonable for the guy who was last year's MVP and looked good in his only preseason action.

23 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Almost none of this is correct.

Almost no one thought AP would be inactive but here we are.   We had a 2nd half lead. Thanks for the dissection of our failures - you sounded like Jay for a moment there! 

The stage was set - very close to as I envisioned optimal use of part time AP in diffusing my own belief he would be scratched.  Sorry I was off by 4 points and that the Eagles were getting the ball first I was too busy dancing :ols:

Archived