Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is Trumpism helping or harming the position of Christianity in America?

mcsluggo

5 facts about religion and Americans’ views of Donald Trump

For most of the last decade, observers have been trying to understand why so many highly religious Americans have a favorable view of Donald Trump, asking how values voters can support a candidate who has been divorced twice, married three times and found liable for sexual abuse. Is Trump viewed most positively by those who might be described as “Christians in name only” – people who identify as Christians but aren’t actually religious?

The latest Pew Research Center survey sheds light on these and related questions. Here are five facts about religion and views of Trump, based on our survey of 12,693 U.S. adults conducted Feb. 13-25.

1.  Among religious groups, White evangelical Protestants continue to have the most positive opinion of Trump. Overall, two-thirds of White evangelical Protestants say they have a favorable view of the former president, including 30% who have a very favorable opinion of him.

Roughly half of White Catholics (51%) express positive views of Trump, as do 47% of White nonevangelical Protestants and 45% of Hispanic Protestants.

But in every other U.S. religious group large enough to be analyzed in this survey, large majorities have unfavorable opinions of Trump, including:  

• 88% of atheists
  • 82% of agnostics
  • 80% of Black Protestants
  • 79% of Jewish Americans

2. Trump’s favorability rating is similar among Christians who attend church regularly and those who don’t. Some observers have pointed out that Trump’s political base consists largely of people who call themselves Christians but don’t go to church. However, our survey shows that Christians who regularly go to church express equally favorable views of Trump as those who don’t often attend religious services.

3.  Many of the people who view Trump favorably don’t go to religious services regularly – but very few are nonreligious. Overall, 64% of respondents who have a favorable view of Trump say they attend religious services a few times a year or less often, while 35% say they go to services at least once or twice a month. (Among all respondents, 69% say they attend religious services a few times a year or less, while 30% go at least monthly.)

4.  Most people who view Trump positively don’t think he is especially religious himself. But many think he stands up for people with religious beliefs like theirs. Just 8% of people who have a positive view of Trump think he is very religious, while 51% think he is somewhat religious and 38% say he is not too or not at all religious.

But 51% of those with a favorable view of Trump think he stands up for people with religious beliefs like their own, including 24% who think he does this a great deal and 27% who say he does this quite a bit.

5.  Religious “nones” who are culturally Christian view Trump a bit more positively than religious “nones” who aren’t.

Religious “nones” who identify as culturally Christian have a modestly more favorable opinion of Trump than “nones” who do not identify as Christian in any way. Still, large majorities in both groups express negative views of the former president.

Click on the link for the full analysis

• Like 2

Charlie Kirk echoes thoughtless claim that you can't "be a Christian and vote Democrat"

Over the weekend, during a “Freedom Night in America” event hosted at Calvary South OC, a church in California, conservative provocateur Charlie Kirk insisted that Christians were required to vote for Republicans.

If you vote Democrat as a Christian, I think you can you can no longer call yourself a Christian. You have to call yourself something else. I do not think you could be a Christian and vote Democrat.

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

On 3/19/2024 at 12:26 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

A better reason to reconsider Catholicism would’ve been that whole systematic rape and sexual abuse of tens of thousands of children that they committed, enabled, and covered up but whatevs.

Or that it's all based in ridiculous superstitious bull****, but, if that's what a person needs to get through the day..

~Bang

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bang said:

Or that it's all based in ridiculous superstitious bull****, but, if that's what a person needs to get through the day..

~Bang

Meth works better, I'd condone meth over church.

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

Church Attendance Has Declined in Most U.S. Religious Groups

As Americans observe Ramadan and prepare to celebrate Easter and Passover, the percentage of adults who report regularly attending religious services remains low. Three in 10 Americans say they attend religious services every week (21%) or almost every week (9%), while 11% report attending about once a month and 56% seldom (25%) or never (31%) attend.

Among major U.S. religious groups, members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, also widely known as the Mormon Church, are the most observant, with two-thirds attending church weekly or nearly weekly. Protestants (including nondenominational Christians) rank second, with 44% attending services regularly, followed by Muslims (38%) and Catholics (33%).

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I've heard the pragmatism of individuals suggesting Trump isn't as religious as ghem but willing to facilitate implementing laws favorable to Christian beliefs that other candidates wouldn't (or wouldn't take it as far as him).

I still go to church regularly, but I can't condone that line of thinking.

I feel like the Trump Bible is gonna have to be pretty different from the New Testament.  For starters, Jesus is white and from Nazareth, Kentucky, and drives a pickup and listens to Jasen Aldeen.  And wears American Flag clothing 100% of the time.  All of the passages about strangers/refugees/immigrants have to be totally rewritten.  Probably feeds the multitudes with McDonalds.   

7 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I feel like the Trump Bible is gonna have to be pretty different from the New Testament.  For starters, Jesus is white and from Nazareth, Kentucky, and drives a pickup and listens to Jasen Aldeen.  And wears American Flag clothing 100% of the time.  All of the passages about strangers/refugees/immigrants have to be totally rewritten.  Probably feeds the multitudes with McDonalds.   

And they work tirelessly so they can donate money to their true savior

How has proper Christianity not risen up against this guy yet?
I know the evangelicals love them ,but i've been told they are a minority, and the heart and soul of American Christians are blah blah blah blah.
This guy is pissing all over their religion, USING it to do things that he has already said and are accepted by polite civil society as patently evil.
He's broken pretty much EVERY Commandment (that word... it isn't negotiable by my understanding.), he IS the False Idol, and actually uses THAT to really threaten the souls of a LOT of your brethren.

And yet here he is again standing on the precipice of power after already trying to destroy the Union in his last go, he stands again as the golden Idol, as the "savior", as the annointed chosen by God, holding up a Bible and selling it. How have they not stamped him out?

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Thanks 1

Conservative Radio Host Slams Pro-Trump Ministers

A conservative radio host is taking umbrage with Donald Trump peddling $60 Bibles, claiming that religious individuals, including ministers, are cashing in on the former president's stature while ignoring his faults.

Trump took to Truth Social on Tuesday with a video promoting the "God Bless the USA Bible," published by Trump ally and Grammy-winning country singer-songwriter Lee Greenwood who penned the patriotic anthem decades ago. The King James English translation includes a handwritten chorus of the song, the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, the Declaration of Independence and the Pledge of Allegiance.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee said in the three-plus-minute recording, released on Holy Week right before the Easter holiday, that "religion and Christianity are the biggest things missing from our country." It was met with criticism from political opponents who described the advertisement as another in a series of "grifts."

Conservative radio host Erick Erickson said Trump's most recent advertising endeavor, which purportedly does not benefit him nor his political campaign, is wrong for multiple reasons, including that the U.S. doesn't actually need more religion, but simply more Jesus Christ.

"Here's what pisses me off and what I do hate," Erickson wrote on Substack. "The former president is surrounded by a group of mainly prosperity gospel ministers who treat him like they treat God—a sugar daddy with whom they transact business. They attest to Trump's bona fides and, in exchange, want donations, policies, pictures, connections, etc.

"They want Trump to give them policy wins and other things, and, in exchange, they give the man their loyalty and support."

Erickson also published an image on Instagram on Tuesday, reading: "I wonder how the Seventh Commandment reads in the Trump Bible."

2 hours ago, Bang said:

For the same reason proper Christianity hasn't risen up against people claiming that Christianity tells people to be bigots.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bang said:

Because it’s not real. 

At some point you realize the Easter bunny and Santa aren’t real. 

all he did was adopt a cult. 

I guess they got tired of worshiping someone from thousands of years ago, and a magical being in the sky, and decided someone alive would be a cool change of pace 

The cult has found a new leader.

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2024 at 12:26 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

A better reason to reconsider Catholicism would’ve been that whole systematic rape and sexual abuse of tens of thousands of children that they committed, enabled, and covered up but whatevs.

Have you ever heard of what they did to Indigenous children in schools up here (Canada)? Priests and nuns.

Our government has been writing some very big cheques lately.

18 hours ago, Bang said:

Some have (I just google'd 'Christians Against Trump'.) But no one cares or listens, so it's not newsworthy....

• Like 1