Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is Trumpism helping or harming the position of Christianity in America?

mcsluggo

3 hours ago, Riggo-toni said:

I've often stated "Show me a Christian who insists on a literal reading of the Bible, and I will show you someone who has never read the Old Testament."

When people talk about the Bible insisting on putting homosexuals to death or some other crazy ****, I like to pose the following:

Here are 4 acts described in the Bible, and 4 punishments. Can you match the punishment with the sin?

Cursing one's father or mother.

A woman stops a fight between two men by hitting or grabbing one of the men by the testicles.

Lesbians aka "women who lie with women"

Kicking a pregnant woman in the stomach so that she miscarries (primitive version of abortion, apparently)

Here are the punishments in order of severity (least to worst)

Not allowed to serve as an archer in the army

Pay a fine

Have a hand cut off

Put to death

well, don’t leave us hanging....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

well, don’t leave us hanging....

Lesbians can't serve as archers.  Otherwise, there is no condemnation of lesbianism whatsoever in the Old Testament.

While killing a person results in the death penalty, killing a fetus merely results in a fine.

If a woman tries to stop a fight by grabbing one of the man's nads, her hand is to be cut off and no one is allowed to feel bad for it.

And if you curse your parents, they are allowed to kill you.

@GhostofSpartagot them all correctly.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 7/11/2021 at 5:35 PM, dyst said:

I’ve always been a believer that the religion itself it usually fine, it’s the followers who cloud it.

at this point in terms of our species' cognitive development, for all the 'upside' that arguably exceeds the 'downside' of what the major religions bring to the table via their individual dogma and social footprint, they remain fundamentally and fatally flawed constructs that will not survive in their current forms if we survive long enough

take heart---our current peak of development as internet posters is not the last stage if we're lucky ;)

evolution to poster.png

future human 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How evangelicals abandoned Christianity — and became "conservatives" instead

As a pastor I was always uncomfortable using God's word to pressure people to give money to the church. It seemed like a dirty trick: Play on the fear of disappointing God by convincing people on fixed incomes to provide for my livelihood. So I never did, much to the chagrin of my board of trustees. For the past 70 years, however, evangelical leadership has used this fear of God to raise billions of dollars to fight those the evangelicals have deemed to be the enemies of God. This naturally requires a private jet, a television network, a super PAC and a con artist pastor and politician to lead the way.  

The first set of enemies were of course the feminists, the pro-choice advocates and the LGBTQ community. Jerry Falwell Sr. said in 1980, "We must stand against the Equal Rights Amendment, the feminist revolution and the homosexual revolution." From that point forward, the blueprint to effect political change for God — and to raise money for that cherished cause — was created. God's call was clear, or so the congregations were told, and the enemies were equally clear. The evangelical movement was born and money started flowing to numerous evangelical organizations. Politicians used evangelical language to win elections, and the God vote became more and more aligned with the Republican Party.  

Click on the link for the full article

A great lead in for the article below. My apologies for the super short intro. I couldn't copy and paste and I'm way to lazy to transcribe two or three paragraphs.

Christianity is collapsing

Sociologists are amazed by the swift disintegration of Christianity in America. It's a stunning cultural transformation, confirmed by...

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/freethoughtnow/christianity-is-collapsing/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Trump changed anything in this regard as much as he has given a bigger forum to the "Christianity through a conservative lens" crowd.  I think the bi-product of folks leaving religion (or at least taking a more euro-centric approach to it) is that those remaining are going to be the fanatics and that is who conservatives cater to as part of their base because they need them. 

Editorial: Calling out so-called 'prophets' who miscalled Trump's election victory By the Editorial Board Jul 24, 2021  39

Evangelical groups are calling their own preachers to task for a spate of so-called prophecies — nearly all in support of far-right political causes and former President Donald Trump — that never came to pass. Prominent pastors are wisely urging their colleagues to commit to standards of prophecy that reject the mixing of personal political beliefs with what they claim to be divine inspiration.

Editorially, we try to avoid opining about religious faith. But invoking divine guidance to advance partisan causes smacks of the worst kind of manipulation, opening the door to abuse and financial exploitation. Pentecostal and charismatic Christian leaders have laudably begun insisting that the false prophets among them cease and desist.

“Why were most of the prophets wrong when it came to predicting the outcome of the 2020 election?” host Jan Markell, founder of Olive Tree Ministries, asked on her “Understanding the Times” Christian radio show on June 25. She followed that question with a lengthy series of pre-election recordings in which a variety of prominent evangelical preachers claimed that God had told them Trump would be reelected.

All it takes is a cheap website or a YouTube posting for charlatans to gain a global following. One Pinckneyville, Illinois, preacher who claims followers across North and South America posted a YouTube “prophecy” in May declaring that Trump would be reinstalled in the White House on July 4. It was, of course, nonsense.

But such quackery also can be deadly dangerous, such as when many protesters, claiming divine inspiration, joined in storming the Capitol on Jan. 6. “Jericho March” cofounder Rob Weaver was among the preachers who claimed divine guidance in directing followers toward Capitol Hill.

The propheticstandards.com website urges such preachers to change their ways: “We recognize the unique challenges posed by the internet and social media, as anyone claiming to be a prophet can release a word to the general public without any accountability or even responsibility.”

Click on the link for the rest

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, China said:

What a shyster.  How long before he ends up in jail again?

"The mortgage. Put it on there; we're having houses paid off this week, last month and this month."

Yeah, your mortgages. Paid for by selling $1,000 blankets to the gullible faithful.

These are just such awful people.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Most adult US Christians don't believe Holy Spirit is real: study

Of an estimated 176 million American adults who identify as Christian, just 6% or 15 million of them actually hold a biblical worldview, a new study from Arizona Christian University shows.

The finding was published by the Cultural Research Center of Arizona Christian University in its recently released American Worldview Inventory, an annual survey that evaluates the worldview of the U.S. adult population. Conducted in February, the survey included a nationally representative sample of 2,000 adults.

The study shows, in general, that while a majority of America’s self-identified Christians, including many who identify as evangelical, believe that God is all-powerful, all-knowing and is the Creator of the universe, more than half reject a number of biblical teachings and principles, including the existence of the Holy Spirit.

The Exvangelicals

Even as evangelicals maintain their position as the most popular religion in the U.S., a movement of self-described "exvangelicals" is breaking away, using social media to engage tens of thousands of former faithful.

The big picture: Donald Trump's presidency, as well as movements around LGBTQ rights, #MeToo and Black Lives Matter, drew more Americans into evangelical churches while also pushing some existing members away.

What they're saying: Blake Chastain, the Exvangelical podcaster who's also credited with starting the use of the hashtag #exvangelical, tells Axios that, in the old days, people "might meet at a bar and speak in hushed tones about 'how weird that church was.’”

Now, Chastain said, those kinds of discussions are far more public and ripple across larger networks of people because of social media.

What we're watching: There's a growing subculture of the "deconstructed" — a buzzword with a range of meanings, from stepping back from a certain kind of Christian culture or politics, to leaving organized religion altogether.

Instagram accounts like "Dirty Rotten Church Kids” and "Your Favorite Heretics" are providing an online community for those questioning or rejecting the evangelical church tradition.
Podcasts including Exvangelical, Almost Heretical and Straight White American Jesus are garnering big followings.

Google searches for "religious trauma" and "exvangelical" are on the rise, according to Google Trends.

How we got here: There were always diverse views among evangelicals, but "Trump's four years in the White House made painfully clear just how deep these divisions ran," said author Kristin Du Mez.

• 2 weeks later...