Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ACQUIRE QB KEVIN HOGAN

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

April 6, 2018

REDSKINS ACQUIRE QB KEVIN HOGAN

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have acquired quarterback Kevin Hogan and a 2018 sixth-round pick (No. 205 overall) from the Cleveland Browns in exchange for a 2018 sixth-round pick (No. 188 overall).

Hogan (6-3, 218) was originally selected by the Kansas City Chiefs in the fifth round (No. 162 overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. After joining the Browns on Sept. 5, 2016, he appeared in eight games with one start for Cleveland, completing 60-of-101 career passes for 621 yards and four passing touchdowns in addition to rushing 18 times for 176 yards with one rushing touchdown.

Hogan played collegiately at Stanford, playing in 50 games for the Cardinal and setting school records for offensive yards (10,634), most career wins by a quarterback (36) and most career rushing yards by a quarterback (1,249). He earned second-team All-Pac-12 honors as a senior in 2015.

A native of McLean, Va., Hogan, 25, attended Gonzaga College H.S. in Washington, D.C., where he compiled 4,762 passing yards and 37 touchdowns in three seasons. He was born Oct. 20, 1992.

Tough break for Colt McCoy, but frees up a good amount of cash to potentially get Tomsula and Co. a late free agent gift. 

Considering what was given up, have to think this indicates they consider Hogan the probable #2. Also indicates they will probably look past late round QBs and perhaps look to UDFA to provide competition and insurance for Morris.

Confident in the 2018 O-line - law of averages has to ring true here - to protect Smith.

32 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Don't understand the trade unless we are releasing McCoy.

HTTR 

Except colt only has one more year on contract, he was drafted by KC, so guessing Smith may like him, and we dont have to waste a pick on a developmental guy to replace colt next year...So not sure downside here... If Gruden and Smith wanted him, then gave up virtually nothing to get him.. So whats the beef?

32 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Tough break for Colt McCoy, but frees up a good amount of cash to potentially get Tomsula and Co. a late free agent gift. 

Considering what was given up, have to think this indicates they consider Hogan the probable #2. 

Moving down less than 20 spots in the 6th round is about the price of a ham sandwich. This is the replacement for Sudfield. 

Can he be put back on practice squad, not sure of the rules as it relates to that?

Looks like yes, but i may be wrong...

• Up to four of those 10 players can have two accrued NFL seasons. So, was a player on the 53-man roster for at least six games of two NFL seasons? Sorry, they’re out of luck.

3 minutes ago, dcdiscokid said:

Can he be put back on practice squad, not sure of the rules as it relates to that?

I believe we could.  He doesn't have enough time in the league yet.  And I also know there are separate rules for vets on practice squad.  Would seem like a waste though.  Colt is 31.  I imagine this is trying to get younger at the position of backup qb with the possibility of growing him into something (doubtful though).

McLean, eh?  I wonder if he lived on the McLean side or the Langley side?  I ask this because if he hadn't gone to Catholic school and lived on the McLean side, he probably would have been the best player in school history by default.  Come to think of it, that could be true for Langley also.

Another dumb decision by Redskins management.  We had Sudfeld in the wings to develop as a potential starter.  He goes to the Eagles and sets an NFL record for highest completion percentage for a first time NFL starter....in a playoff game.  Just makes no sense.  I would had been happier bringing in Manziel.

31 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Another dumb decision by Redskins management.  We had Sudfeld in the wings to develop as a potential starter.  He goes to the Eagles and sets an NFL record for highest completion percentage for a first time NFL starter....in a playoff game.  Just makes no sense.  I would had been happier bringing in Manziel.

really, so u want another circus... come on last thing we need is him...

McCoy has been nothing but stellar for the Redskins. Knows he's the backup QB but acts professionally, ready to step in when needed. It seems like he's the casualty of the cap and we're bringing in Hogan on a cheaper deal to free up cash. I'm thinking it's maybe to match whatever the Jets offer Hankins??

Hogan’s a decent prospect.  He’s big and mobile with a good arm.  He had a funky throwing motion coming out of Stanford which it seems he’s shortened it up.  I mean they probably could of waited and picked him up for nothing but the price isn’t bad.  If you like him and he’s available in a trade better to have him when QB camp starts.

I know nothing I see nothing!

I think its good to bring in someone young. We are suddenly old at the QB position, and are still stinging from losing Sudsy who is getting that ring appraised about now.   Moving down 17 slots seems fine to get a young guy with size and real life experience. Vs drafting a 6th rounder with zippy NFL tape.  I like it. 

Loot Cleveland until they prove otherwise. I wonder if Doug was involved.

Archived