Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ACQUIRE QB KEVIN HOGAN

TK

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Im really staring to worry about your personal well being when Hankins gets signed by another team.:taz:

Depends on the contract fellow Brit, I just might get the next flight to DC and have a word with Mr Allen if it's less than 8m per year.  ????

HTTR 

So...is this a Bruce Allen player? A Gruden player? Williams? A fabled "Redskins decision?" Did Gruden and Williams know about the trade beforehand? Did the Browns contact the Skins and say "We wanna swap 6th round picks with you, what will it take?"...Did the pro scouts have Hogan high on their QB possibilities list? Did Gruden like him when he came out of college maybe like Shanahan liked John Beck? Was this purely a move to get another camp arm without losing a draft pick to do so?...Will Allen call him "Kurvit"?

Interesting side note, "Kurfürstendamm" is apparently the auto-correct replacement for "Kurvit" *thumbsup*...

13 hours ago, Dexter said:

Another dumb decision by Redskins management.  We had Sudfeld in the wings to develop as a potential starter.  He goes to the Eagles and sets an NFL record for highest completion percentage for a first time NFL starter....in a playoff game.  Just makes no sense.  I would had been happier bringing in Manziel.

That wasn’t a playoff game.  I’m 100% completely fine with this move, like someone said before moving back 17 spots in the 6th round means nothing. We need another arm for camp, now we don’t have to draft a QB. He played decent at Stanford, welcome Kevin. 

So we swapped 6th Rd picks to get a 3rd stringer w/ some experience and THIS is a sign of the apocalypse! More proof that the entire team is dysfunctional and willing to prove it!

I swear, some of y'all are just......................... whatever

8 hours ago, Kurd Cudins said:

I think people are over blowing the value of Hogan right now. If we brought him in at Smith's recommendation to be a developmental #3 QB for a year, only to become a backup in 2019, great. That makes sense. Replace McCoy? Now? Stop it.

If they are forced to start Colt they are done. He’s good on a team because he knows the offense and he’s a heck of a guy but he’s old and we know his ceiling and it’s low. That’s why they traded for Alex they didn’t want him to have to start. Either way imo Hogan isn’t the next starter and is just a camp arm which they need and this means they won’t draft someone which is a good thing

42 minutes ago, LightningBuggs said:

Hogan is not an NFL qb at any level.  I'd be surprised if he makes the team. 

Don't like the trade at all.

Huh? They likely would have used a late round pick on a developmental camp guy arm anyway so this way they get that and kept all draft picks and doesn’t cost much at all. I have no faith in late round QBs ever becoming anything so they got what they needed and cost them nothing. What’s not to like

1 hour ago, Bang said:

He actually showed pretty decent in preseason last year.

So he pushes McCoy.. can't hurt.

~Bang

He also started a game last season and looked awful

https://www.rotoballer.com/player-news/kevin-hogan-falls-flat-in-first-nfl-start/420131

I am not expecting anything from this move outside of saving Alex’s arm some in preseason. And I like the move

5 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

Hogan is not an NFL qb at any level.  I'd be surprised if he makes the team. 

Don't like the trade at all.

What's not to like?

It's not like they gave up anything. They just swapped sixth rounders.

Sure, they will now pick later in the sixth round, but it is the sixth round. :806: 

Not that big a deal.

22 hours ago, Long n Left said:

Eric Dorsey? Played at Notre Dame, and the NY Giants for about 7 years. My brother quarterbacked Yorktown against him, said it was the only guy that ever actually scared him. McLean HS grad.

Yes, I'm aware of Eric Dorsey, there were a few other guys on that team that were pretty good as well.  Hell, I went to McLean in the mid 90's when they had the best team in school history, of which I had zero contributions.  No Uncle Rico here.  It was more a tongue in cheek commentary on the historical ineptitude of McLean at football.

My 2 cents on this guy.... I actually like what I see a lot.  He has Size, Mobility, a decent arm, looks like he sees the field well and has good pocket presence which can translate into pocket awareness if he develops.  I think this is a quality pick up.  Looking forward to see him play in the preseason.  

48 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

My 2 cents on this guy.... I actually like what I see a lot.  He has Size, Mobility, a decent arm, looks like he sees the field well and has good pocket presence which can translate into pocket awareness if he develops.  I think this is a quality pick up.  Looking forward to see him play in the preseason.  

Agreed. I see a lot of Colt McCoy in him. Smart, gamer, mobile, average arm.

He is a little bigger with a slightly better arm, and that 'slightly' might just be enough for him to be a top 40 QB in this league. 

1 hour ago, Alexa said:

The Browns did not want this guy. That is all that needs to be said.

Wrong. The Browns have Tyrod Taylor and whoever they pick at 1 (Darnold). So they really only have space for 1 more QB. They dont want to give up on Kizer as they just invested a high pick in him last year and hes still very young.

Numbers Crunch and we reap the benefits

Forgot they traded Kizer. Still. 16M plus #1 pick is a good bit invested.

If anyone is lamenting losing Sudfield then I really don't get it. Guy had terrible accuracy. Looked bad against 3rd string defenses in preseason.  Hogan may be no better but he is a young QB to fill a spot in camp and we'll see what he's got. They didn't give up much at all to get him.

If the Redskins looked at the film of the QBs coming out and decided they were not going to get their future QB, then why bother wasting a pick on it? They'd be stupid to pick one in the first round. So after the first round, what QB in the draft is worth it? Or is better than Hogan?

Anyone?.....Anyone?...could be one out there, but nobody is talking about 'em.

So the Redskins just picked up a player that is virtually a rookie (only 2 years in the league). Except you know what you have in him - Hogan's got 150+ NFL plays under his belt! We all know the draft is a crap shoot, let alone a QB that is coming out in the later rounds. All they did was go back a couple draft picks in the 6th round to get an experienced, really young NFL QB without losing the 6th round pick. In essence they got 2 picks in the 6th round. Smart!!!

Personally, I think this pickup is more about carrying 3 QBs through mini camp. It is also a way to create legitimate competition at the backup position. There is no benefit to the team to have a complacent backup. It can easily get that way with no competition. 

So, I did watch some of Hogan's 2016 pro games (all be it 38 plays in the preseason, not including plays he just handed the ball off). But (in his rookie year) he played pretty well against the Bengal's first team in the 3rd game where game planning was involved (for whatever that's worth). As a matter of fact, he balled out!! The kid ran for over 100 yards! What's crazy about this, is that he is deemed as a pocket passer. To me, he showed descent pocket presence; didn't seem scared in the pocket and looked like an NFL QB. He was under a lot of pressure and did throw one bad interception. But overall he played pretty well.  I haven't had a chance to watch his 136 plays in 2017 where he was the starter for a bit. But who does well in Cleveland? We'll see how he develops under Gruden.  

I will now add that (based on a small sample viewing of) his 2017 campaign was low budget. He does tend to sail passes. He threw only 4 TD to 5 Int last year. The offensive line was middle of the pack last year only because of their run blocking. But it went south pretty quickly when Joe Thomas got hurt. I'm sure any QB there struggled as a result.

But again, the concept seems to be to get young NFL players (on the cheap) via trade. That is done to replace a late round draft pick you're not sure of. No significant salary cap hit either. Good job Allen!

Archived