Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vaya Con Dios, Manny! The plight of the 2018 Orioles

Spaceman Spiff

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Understood, just want to point out that not every O's fan had the same memories as you.  : )

I've never been to a Nats game (though I plan to change that this year), I've met diehard redskins fans that have never been to a game either.  I didn't skip a beat moving to Hampton Roads, wouldn't if you put me on another continent because the DC teams remind me of home (or at least the concept of it).  Another reason why I switched was because I felt like Angelos was doing everything he could to stop DC from getting a team once we got serious about getting the Expos.  I took that to heart, I know others that did as well.

If you're diehard, I can see where you're coming from, otherwise, not shocked at all.  

Well, from a business perspective I can understand why Angelos didn't want a team in DC.  Removing emotion from it, it makes sense from his perspective.  He drew a lot from the DC area, the Nationals moving in threatened to take away revenue opportunities from him.  I think any sports owner would have had the same reaction.  Had the roles been reversed, if DC was the team in the area for all this time and Baltimore didn't have a team for 30+ years and the Expos moved to Baltimore, I have to imagine Lerner would be trying to block it.

I was happy the Nats came though, it made DC more of a legit sports town...as much of a sports town as DC can be.  

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Well, from a business perspective I can understand why Angelos didn't want a team in DC. 

Understandable, but tough to say if roles reversed.  

I tried to look for examples, Yankees didn't do that to the Mets, nor did the Giants do that to the Jets.  Cubs were more resistant to the White Sox showing up, but struck a deal and kept it moving.  Devil's advocate for Angelos, Baltimore is not as large a market as NYC or Chicago, so losing DC was a big deal given its larger then Baltimore's. I don't think Lerners would've done the same because of that.  

Angelos is still acting like a dick in regards to MASN though, he's not letting this go like other franchises eventually did.

2 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Understandable, but tough to say if roles reversed.  

I tried to look for examples, Yankees didn't do that to the Mets, nor did the Giants do that to the Jets.  Cubs were more resistant to the White Sox showing up, but struck a deal and kept it moving.  Devil's advocate for Angelos, Baltimore is not as large a market as NYC or Chicago, so losing DC was a big deal given its larger then Baltimore's. I don't think Lerners would've done the same because of that.  

Angelos is still acting like a dick in regards to MASN though, he's not letting this go like other franchises eventually did.

Good examples, but those examples are relatively pre-historic.  Not as much money on the line.  

Plus Angelos is a lawyer.  He likes to argue.  What'd you expect? :)  

And he's not acting like a dick.  He IS a dick.  

The Orioles saw a substantial decline in attendance the year after the Nats arrived https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/attend.shtml . Yes, they were poorly managed for many years but hard to deny the Nats have taken substantial market share from the Orioles even with the MASN deal.  Even in 2014 at the peak of their competitiveness they didn't draw as many fans as in 2005.  (2.4 million vs 2.7 million)  In the 90s they used to be top ten in attendance every year.  I think both markets are "sustainable" but I can definitely see the Orioles transforming into a small market team like the Pirates or Royals 

Chris Davis is hitting .153

What is the record for lowest batting average in a season? If someone can find that stat they get kudos. Obviously there must be a minimum amount of plate appearances.

I decided to do a little research and used that thing called Google. Dan Uggla and Rob Deer are tied at .179. So Davis is going for history!

What a pathetic player. There need to be clauses in contracts where players have to give money back if they suck so badly, particularly if they are making $161 million.

At a minimum, the O's need to not be playing Davis or if they do, you have to bat him 7th-9th and make him bunt for hits. A lot of this is on Angelos and it makes me wonder if ownership isn't demanding he plays given his contract. 

Davis is an embarrassment. I don’t know why he is in the lineup at this point. I think there is too much stubbornness from Buck and the front office surrounding him. I don’t think you could bring up anyone from any level of the farm system and be worse at the plate than Davis. 

Yeah I don't see why Buck insists on putting Davis in the middle of the order.   I don't think even Angelos would meddle that much. 

On the bright side, maybe Davis plays so poorly, the team will be forced to cut him, rather than languishing in mediocrity ala Ryan Howard and blocking potential replacements.

Real quick question (haven't been able to find an answer): what's up with the show tunes before the game?

I made a visit to Camden Yards yesterday for the first time in ages (still as beautiful as I remember) and before the singing of the Star-Spangled Banner, they played "Magic to Do" from Pippin which is fine - I like that song a lot but what happened to "Orioles Magic?" Hokey as it is, it's about the O's specifically. "Magic to Do" isn't even about the show's titular character. 

49 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Yeah I don't see why Buck insists on putting Davis in the middle of the order.   I don't think even Angelos would meddle that much. 

On the bright side, maybe Davis plays so poorly, the team will be forced to cut him, rather than languishing in mediocrity ala Ryan Howard and blocking potential replacements.

I seriously wonder where this is headed long term, like next season and beyond.  He literally is unplayable. 

This is unsustainable.  I mean, last year was bad, and even the year before wasnt really good, but at least you got 60+ dingers out of it.  He's on pace for 12 HRs and I'm not feeling a hot streak coming anytime soon.  

Let's project for a second, and say this year continues as it has been.  You cannot keep playing him every day next year and the year after and so on and sticking him in the middle of the lineup hoping he gets lucky and tags one.  All while he needs binoculars to see the Mendoza line and gives you completely unproductive at-bats 

28 minutes ago, Popeman38 said:

I want to take my daughter to Camden Yards to see a game.  Any recommendations on sections for a 7 year old?

As a kid and teenager, I always liked the bleachers. They aren’t bleachers any more but they still call sections 90-98 bleachers. Of course, I always wanted a shot at a home run ball. But I also liked the fact you were so close to the outfielders. There is no net or anything blocking your view. Plus to get that close to players near home plate cost a ton. You can get there early for BP and see more players and hr balls. The left field section is the same, but I think may cost more. If money is no object, sit as close to the dougout or home plate as you can. I always hated the upper deck and still do. I doubt a 7 year old wants to walk that much to sit so far away. I know this 41 yr old doesn’t want to. 

The only thing I’d caution you on is if it’s a day game, it gets scorching hot out there in the bleachers. 

The other downside side is you can’t see the video board. So if that is a must, it will be difficult to see even if you turn around and look up. That may be important to a 7 yr old or even dad. So consider that as well.

1 hour ago, Popeman38 said:

I want to take my daughter to Camden Yards to see a game.  Any recommendations on sections for a 7 year old?

I usually get to watch an inning or so, with my 6 yr old daughter begging to go to the kids zone the entire time. By the 4th inning on its at the kids zone and maybe I get to see a glimpse here or there on a tv somewhere. 

Day game - definitely get seats under the covered area bc of the sun. 3rd base side to outfield are in the sun. I like sections 200-300 behind the dugouts. Upper reserves? Good view, relatively cheap, kids zone is close by and blocked from the sun.  

edit - man there are some real good cheap seats for tonight. Must be the Caps game. Section 47 for $28 a piece? 

https://baltimore.tickets-online.com/3254678/Baltimore-Orioles-vs-Washington-Nationals#open

Gentry?  What in the world are you doing trying to steal third with no outs and Manny at the plate?  What an idiotic play.

2 freaking runs in this 3 game series.  Outscored 11-2.  I know I shouldn’t be surprised by this team anymore, but they keep going downhill.

20 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

If you're going on a weeknight, I'd take advantage of the "Kids get in free with purchase of an upper deck ticket" promo.  You can get in the park and walk straight to the lower level.  The lower level sections on the edge of the infield (just past 1st and 3rd bases) offer great views and are sparsely populated - there's a 75% chance that whatever seats you sit in will be open for the game.

If you're going on a weekend, or you just want the peace of mind of knowing you "own" your seat for the game, the infield club is great.  Perfect views, and access to the air conditioned club level which is nicely decorated with Orioles memorabilia over the years.

As others have mentioned, a lot of the appeal for a child will be the Kids Zone and just walking around one of the world's most beautiful ballparks.  So I'd go cheap on the seats and splurge on the concessions.

Have fun.

So, here is an observation:

In the Ocean city commercial featuring the Fun family, when they go down the slide, dad says "The Fun is HERE" and points at his balls with both hands.

Q: how many people sit in the front row behind the plate of OPACY and look at their phones?

A: all of them

~Bang

2 hours ago, Bang said:

So, here is an observation:

In the Ocean city commercial featuring the Fun family, when they go down the slide, dad says "The Fun is HERE" and points at his balls with both hands.

Q: how many people sit in the front row behind the plate of OPACY and look at their phones?

A: all of them

~Bang

Now I have to pay attention to those damn commercials just to see that one time. 

1 hour ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

My only question is why I keep watching.  Why am I such a glutton for punishment?

I watch just to see the new O's players get in games. Ump tonight did not have a good night. So many bad options on this team right now but the pitching staff keeps getting better. 

Anyone know anything about the O's 1st round pick RHP Grayson Rodriguez?  Big guy (6'5") and his high school stats look really good.  Adding him, some prospects from the inevitable firesale, and a likely top-5 pick next year should hopefully restock the farm and help to avoid what a lot of us are fearing most: a 5-10 year rebuild with zero direction. 

Archived