Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

With college football lacking to offer a full nationwide talent pool for the 2021 draft, this might very well be the perfect time to pull the trigger on a #1/#2 WR.  Makes more sense this year than any other.  Gain experience in the system and buy into the culture going into a more wining scenario next year. 

• Like 4

It blows my mind so many of you want to trade draft capital for a veteran receiver. Because why? We won one game? It was impressive and fun to watch, sure. But now you want to use as high as a 2nd or 3rd round pick to bring someone in to steal time from our young offense because all of a sudden you think we can compete this year? Again, for what? A playoff birth and then get booted in one game? 

We aren’t going to compete in the playoffs this year. Robinson or OBJ wouldn’t change that. Next year the cap is going to go down and you want to get rid of draft capital that brings in more young chosen by Rivera to add to his culture that will play on rookie deals for one of these guys? Rivera himself has said he wants to go with what we have to get them experience and give them opportunities to prove themselves. You’re argument is probably that we could just release Inman or something so it wouldn’t take away their playing time. But see the rest above. And Rivera is serious about trusting them and letting them prove they can do it. It kinda spoils that message if you say hey you’re not good enough we gotta go get a guy that didn’t go through camp with us. 

Trust the process, let these guys grow another year, keep our draft picks to get younger and add more talent that’s raised in this culture. Don’t buy into the idea of mortgaging the future for another high priced veteran today so we can be marginally better as a team. And possibly get worse because we blow up some of the trust Rivera has built with these guys by proving that he trusts and believes in them. Let them go out and work their asses off to convince themselves they can do it. We will be just fine. 

BTW McLaurin is going to eat. Dude had Slay blanketing him all day and no time for Haskins to throw and STILL had 5/61. Should have easily been 6/80 but Haskins missed him. Those 61 yards put him on pace for just below 1000. And you KNOW that stat line is going to be the low watermark for him every game. Additionally, Sims had 50 yards, on pace for 800. This is on par for what everyone wanted before the season from them. Hell, Logan Thomas essentially had one of his best career games and got the TD that was in line with what we all wanted when we heard he was racking up TD’s in camp. He’s on pace and looking like a 4-500 yard guy with at least a handful of TD’s. So why the panic or thought that we need to go get someone? Let them grow and build that chemistry and as Gibson gets more comfortable and Love gets healthy we’ll see a decent offense by the end of the year. 

Everyone just take a breath and enjoy what we have and watching them grow. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, moondog said:

A third rounder for OBJ makes all the sense in the world to me. He has 4 years left on his deal, all affordable at 15 M, and no Guaranteed money. He would not be a rental and would instead be a cornerstone piece of your rebuild giving you a weapon to pull brackets away from McL.

Double down on that line of thinking when you consider everything outside of the first round of this years draft will be even more of a crapshoot that usual.

Plus, most of us have been calling for another receiver since last offseason. This is not some new idea that was a result of a week 1 win. We tried to get Cooper, so we know adding another piece is a priority for the higher ups as well. I don't think it is fair to say they have no interest in bringing in a vet.

Dropping a 3rd rounder in this years draft would be a small price to pay to receive that top flight WR we are after and he’ d be on a great deal to boot. Not that zombies sleep, but I would not lose any over a move like that.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

A third rounder for OBJ makes all the sense in the world to me. He has 4 years left on his deal, all affordable at 15 M, and no Guaranteed money. He would not be a rental and would instead be a cornerstone piece of your rebuild giving you a weapon to pull brackets away from McL.

Double down on that line of thinking when you consider everything outside of the first round of this years draft will be even more of a crapshoot that usual.

Plus, most of us have been calling for another receiver since last offseason. This is not some new idea that was a result of a week 1 win. We tried to get Cooper, so we know adding another piece is a priority for the higher ups as well. I don't think it is fair to say they have no interest in bringing in a vet.

Dropping a 3rd rounder in this years draft would be a small price to pay to receive that top flight WR we are after and he’s be on a great deal to boot. Not that zombies sleep, but I would not lose any over a move like that.

culture > talent

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, moondog said:

It blows my mind so many of you want to trade draft capital for a veteran receiver. Because why? We won one game? It was impressive and fun to watch, sure. But now you want to use as high as a 2nd or 3rd round pick to bring someone in to steal time from our young offense because all of a sudden you think we can compete this year? Again, for what? A playoff birth and then get booted in one game? 

Allen Robinson does not play guard or tackle.

Allen Robinson is not going to get traded for anything less than a 1st-plus. Our 1st will still be a top-10 pick this year--nevermind this past Sunday's show.

Allen Robinson is a FA after this year--in order to make sense, I'll need an extension. How is giving him an extension after 3-4 games going to sit with Scherff who did not get one?

• Like 2

NO to OBJ - Just to level set the potential comp for OBJ, no way they'd settle for just a 3rd after what they gave up to get him.

https://sny.tv/articles/giants-trading-odell-beckham-jr-to-browns#:~:text=The Giants traded the star,Peppers%2C SNY's Ralph Vacchiano confirmed.

Giants receive a first-round pick, third-round pick and Jabrill Peppers in return

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 3

With all the talk about AB and OBJ, I'm surprised they havn't brought up Dez Bryant.

Not that he's worthy of the interest, just surprised fans havn't gone that familiar direction.

And not to give anyone any ideas 😛

The new TE Hemingway is probably getting a look on the PS, because he played under Rivera last year in Carolina.

Or I should say "practiced" instead of "played" since he was just a PS member

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

It’s so disingenuous that people keep popping in here and posting the same tripe about “win one game and people think a vet WR puts us over the top” when that isn’t what’s happening at all, and that’s been explained many times.

People want to help Haskins develop and see what he’s got, and OL don’t seem to be on the block. Feel free to disagree with the idea but at least appropriately represent the argument you’re trying to refute, no one thinks an OBJ or Robinson type puts us in the playoffs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1